Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He's just trying to 100% the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
No, apparently dude just loves sumo and sumo history. He's done it through his prime. This article briefly talks about it:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/09/20/sumo/dozens-ways-triumph-sumo-match/

and specifically this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMNBBnU_fTA

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Chris Sumo nearly disappears up his own rear end with his latest video stylised as a letter to teru from hakuho on the subject of being a yokozuna. It's unintentionally hilarious, informative, and contains some great fight analysis. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/1wnEqd6TKVw

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Eustace posted:

Hakuho's slap to forearm strike to unserhook is such an effective combo for him that I wonder why more rikishi dont attempt to try a similar strategy. It really seems like Hakuho is way ahead of the game on technique, propriety be damned

I feel like Hakuho, like with everything else, is operating on a different level with his slaps and shivers. Most people seem to only manage to piss off their opponents when they slap. Hakuho seems to break people entirely with it and I can't imagine he's hitting harder than anyone else. It just seems like another thing that he knows exactly when and how to deploy it for maximum effect.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I was rooting for Hakuho but I'm not thrilled with that match. If he does stick around I hope Terunofuji throws him into orbit the next time that they meet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I feel like Hakuho, like with everything else, is operating on a different level with his slaps and shivers. Most people seem to only manage to piss off their opponents when they slap. Hakuho seems to break people entirely with it and I can't imagine he's hitting harder than anyone else. It just seems like another thing that he knows exactly when and how to deploy it for maximum effect.

His ability to "read the play" (I'm sure there's a sumo term, but it's the term you use in hockey or soccer) is phenomenal. I think it's what got him through this basho, to be honest - you can't exactly injure that ability - when he saw an oppurtunity, he'd go at it hard.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

We were very close this basho to seeing a Hakuho vs Hoshoryu match, he fought all the way down to M5e, and Hoshoryu was M5w. I hope we'll get to see it at least once in a basho where Hakuho is competitive like this one.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

captainblastum posted:

I was rooting for Hakuho but I'm not thrilled with that match. If he does stick around I hope Terunofuji throws him into orbit the next time that they meet.

I'd like to hear more about this. I understand that there's quite a lot of people who dislike the way hakuho fights and I understand their perspectives, but I'm interested in hearing about a fan of Hakuho's deciding that what happened last night was a fridge too far.

Elissimpark posted:

His ability to "read the play" (I'm sure there's a sumo term, but it's the term you use in hockey or soccer) is phenomenal. I think it's what got him through this basho, to be honest - you can't exactly injure that ability - when he saw an oppurtunity, he'd go at it hard.

There really is no substitute for experience. He was asked recently how he'd do today versus a 'prime' hakuho and his response was basically 'he'd have every physical advantage, but I'd win'. You literally cannot put the guy in a situation he hasn't seen before and already overcome. I believe he also mentioned having what I've heard referred to as 'dad strength' that anyone who has sparred at a fighting gym can attest exists. As you age you get very strong in very subtle ways that are hard to articulate, but there was a fight in this basho just gone where the guy he was fighting was launching himself at hakuho with thrusts and just bouncing straight off him.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Marching Powder posted:

Chris Sumo nearly disappears up his own rear end with his latest video stylised as a letter to teru from hakuho on the subject of being a yokozuna. It's unintentionally hilarious, informative, and contains some great fight analysis. Highly recommended.

so much of this felt like embarassing fanfiction but the moment at 4:20 is so sick that the rest of it has to be seen to lead up to it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

riderchop posted:

so much of this felt like embarassing fanfiction but the moment at 4:20 is so sick that the rest of it has to be seen to lead up to it

Hahaha exactly.

I don't know if I've just gotten used to it or he's gotten better at being embarrassing in entertaining ways. Either way I'm still a fan, and I respect that he can spend 4 minutes and 19 seconds being a giant cornball and I'm not only tolerating it, but actively enjoying it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Marching Powder posted:

it's so loving dorky

also, great

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

I'd like to hear more about this. I understand that there's quite a lot of people who dislike the way hakuho fights and I understand their perspectives, but I'm interested in hearing about a fan of Hakuho's deciding that what happened last night was a fridge too far.

I don’t mind slaps and forearm shivers, but that elbow looked too much like a straight up knockout attempt for my taste.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

At first I was wondering if it was a translation of Hakuho’s speech and then when he called Shodai the “useless ozeki” I knew that it was. Can’t believe the GOAT spit such perfect truth.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Apparently Kitanofuji was pissed at Hakuho's long take-off on day 14:

Kitanofuji translated on Sumoforum posted:

"I've been in the sumo world for 69 years and have seen all kinds of sumo, but I've never been this stunned."

"Up to now I've taken pride as one who understands Hakuho, but as of today I'm finished."

"Does he want to win so badly that even after 44 yushos he would resort to such dirty tactics?"

"I've got no interest in tomorrow's last match. I'm so mad I'm going to eat and go to bed."

Marching Powder posted:

'dad strength'

That's a fantastic phrase and I know exactly what you mean. Its not strength though, but efficiency. They don't need to muscle it.

Twenty years ago when I was 24, I trained for taekwondo tournaments - I'm 6'6" and was probably 97 kgs at the time, so probably my most agile. I got kicked in the head by a 65yo dude about 2/3 my height during a sparring round - dad strength.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Apparently Kitanofuji was pissed at Hakuho's long take-off on day 14:

Lmao that's awesome

Khizan posted:

I don’t mind slaps and forearm shivers, but that elbow looked too much like a straight up knockout attempt for my taste.

Fair enough. It was absolutely the most vicious thing I've ever seen in a sumo match so it makes perfect sense that it wouldn't sit right with people who aren't evil poo poo piles like myself.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love the salty tears about the greatest to ever do it doing sumo wrong.

How in the world can anyone feel entitled to pass judgement on him?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Lmao that's awesome

There's a Kitanofuji quote thread on sumoforum:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/40692-kitanofuji-stuff/

Its short thread, but there's some funny stuff there.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the egyptian sumo wrestler that i saw that threw forearms was Osunaarashi.

This forearm specifically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nix8NMsM8gI

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

There's a Kitanofuji quote thread on sumoforum:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/40692-kitanofuji-stuff/

Its short thread, but there's some funny stuff there.

Some things are lost in translation and some things simply cannot be translated unless you're immersed in the culture, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy 'I simply cannot defend Hakuho's behaviour any longer now that he has committed the ultimate sin of starting too far away' on its own merits.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I do like that sumo is the 'least violent' of fight sports but I have a hard time feeling like Hakuho's level of violence is that out of step with the rest of the field. Tachi-ais are explosive hits. So many guys do shoulder blasts and shivers. Neck thrusts happen constantly. Tons of people slap and tsuppari battles are fairly regular. The most shocking thing about Hakuho is that he's so efficient and doesn't lose when he does it so you don't get the 'he just made them mad and this was his mistake for slapping' release.

That said, I think its a part of why I want him to stop here. As his body continues to decline and he can't go head to head as well, he'll probably rely on this as a daily thing instead of precisely deployed and it would start feeling worse.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hell, I've seen plenty of headbutt duels too

Whats a shiver?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think a lot of it comes down to timing and intent for Hakuho. The old Tyson adage that everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth holds really true. While he's absolutely lost some snap with his arm problems, getting your head rocked will put you off balance and it only takes a very, very small mistake to get tossed against Hakuho.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hell, I've seen plenty of headbutt duels too

Whats a shiver?

Charging forearm strike. Football linemen use them a lot, for the same reasons you see them in tachiai.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

His reasons for doing what he does are extremely refined. I remember someone relaying an interview with him regarding why he often slaps his opponents at the tachiai. The intricacies include blinding the opponent, moving their head off the centre line leaving their forward charge less coordinated and effective, shocking the opponent and many other details. I just cannot take people seriously when they criticise him for doing that. He isn't 'being an rear end in a top hat', he's winning the fight.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1417050576370774018?s=19

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

her article on taichiai:

https://tachiai.org/2021/07/19/ydc-approves-terunofujis-promotion-to-yokozuna/

quote:

In its regular post-basho meeting on July 19th, the Yokozuna Deliberation Council unanimously approved the promotion of Ozeki Terunofuji to the rank of Yokozuna.

Following an approval by the NSK board and banzuke meeting, an acceptance ceremony will be held for the 73rd Yokozuna.

The expected procedure is:

July 21st – special board meeting, banzuke meeting, acceptance ceremony.
July 22nd – “tsuna uchi” – braiding of the new Yokozuna’s rope, and training the new Yokozuna to do the dohyo-iri.
July 23rd – first dohyo-iri at Meiji Grand Shrine in Tokyo

The schedule may be subject to changes, however, as July 23rd is also when the Olympic Games opening ceremony is to be held, near Meiji Grand Shrine, and some parts of the area may be closed off. On the other hand, COVID restrictions may render this point moot. We’ll keep our readers posted.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How quick do you think they want to teach him the dohyo-iri so that hakuho can't do it at the olympics?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i guess they couldn't find a better picture than the one where it looks like he's doing jumping jacks at a fat camp he was tricked into attending

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ilmucche posted:

How quick do you think they want to teach him the dohyo-iri so that hakuho can't do it at the olympics?

If they did that, we’d see the first ever zensho yusho of only henkas.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

We all knew it was coming but it's great to see. I see he's mocking Hakuho in that picture with his arms extended.

I'm hoping that when Asanoyama comes back he can rocket up the rankings and retake his rightful rank before an all out attempt at Yokozuna. I'd like Takakeisho to do it but I don't think his brand of sumo can get him there. He's a very strong Ozeki though and sumo needs those as much as a great Yokozuna.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I personally predict a lot of yorikiris where the opponent gets accidentally shoved into a ringside shimpan.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What a loving amazing match to top off a great tournament.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Charles Gnarwin posted:

"well the rules don't state you CAN'T bring an AR15 into the dohyo, so Hakuho is really on the cutting shooting edge of sumo here"

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

bessantj posted:

We all knew it was coming but it's great to see. I see he's mocking Hakuho in that picture with his arms extended.

I'm hoping that when Asanoyama comes back he can rocket up the rankings and retake his rightful rank before an all out attempt at Yokozuna. I'd like Takakeisho to do it but I don't think his brand of sumo can get him there. He's a very strong Ozeki though and sumo needs those as much as a great Yokozuna.

I think Takakeisho needs to rejig his style tbh - dude looks like he's going to physically detonate at the end of his matches - he's too small to be carrying that much fat imo. I like him, but he's one note and lateral movement is always an option when he's in front of you. That neurological event he had this basho does not bode well, regardless of what caused it.

Where is Asanoyama going to be placed when he returns?

Edit: On the subject of Hakuhos "dirty" sumo - I like it when veterans use their accumulated knowledge to stay ahead of the younger guys. Nothing that he's doing causes worse injuries than the head clashes, arm cranks and throws which are already common in sumo. He's just using arguably "less competitive" techniques at the perfect moment for maximum effect. He knows when to do that, other rikishi do not and we need to marvel at him while he's still active because we are never seeing his like again. Anyone else throwing slaps and so on at teru is leaving the dohyo at a couple of metres per second. No one else can do that let alone do it and win.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Southpaugh posted:

I think Takakeisho needs to rejig his style tbh - dude looks like he's going to physically detonate at the end of his matches - he's too small to be carrying that much fat imo. I like him, but he's one note and lateral movement is always an option when he's in front of you. That neurological event he had this basho does not bode well, regardless of what caused it.

Where is Asanoyama going to be placed when he returns?

he has a six basho suspension. after the next basho at sekiwake he'll prob be around m10 or m11 based on the last three rikishi to go 0-0-15 from that rank. that would put him slghly ahead of abi (m14e) during the first basho of his suspension but with an extra one he has to miss.

i'm guessing at best lower makushita like abi when he returned if he's lucky but probably sandanme? that would mean he'd need three basho to get back up to sekitori if he dominates the lower ranks like abi just did. it's not a death sentence tho, terunofuji had to restart his career from jonidan and he was by no means anywhere close to the level he's at now when he first came back. didn't even get a yusho until the last of his three makushita appearances.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 19, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Southpaugh posted:

Edit: On the subject of Hakuhos "dirty" sumo - I like it when veterans use their accumulated knowledge to stay ahead of the younger guys. Nothing that he's doing causes worse injuries than the head clashes, arm cranks and throws which are already common in sumo. He's just using arguably "less competitive" techniques at the perfect moment for maximum effect. He knows when to do that, other rikishi do not and we need to marvel at him while he's still active because we are never seeing his like again. Anyone else throwing slaps and so on at teru is leaving the dohyo at a couple of metres per second. No one else can do that let alone do it and win.

1. Hakuho obviously won because Shodai provided his water of power.

2. Just like his opening gambit on day 14 Hakuho knows how YOU are going to respond to his machinations and acts accordingly when you do. Teru lost that match when he started swinging back, it gave Hakuho the opening he needed since by all accounts he can’t begin to meet Terunofuji strength to strength. I know easier said than done, but if Teru had waited out those slaps and looked for an opening (A lot of lower level guys learn the hard way that a slap can leave your arm side open for a grip) instead of playing Hakuho’s game that match could have very easily ended up going another way.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Hakuho has literally knocked out people with his forearm shivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCSCNp1qKU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fantasy and goonzuke results will be coming after work today! There's quite a log jam up at the top of makuuchi on the goonzuke that is giving me some trouble, but I think I'll be able to resolve it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For future bashos, would it be advisable to have an additional pick at mid-to-low maegashira just to diversify the field a bit more? I figure everyone wants the same two or three people at the top in any given basho.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's actually rare for any given wrestler to be the one everyone wants. This basho it was only really Terunofuji and Ura who everyone wanted on their team, which is understandable. Even with 60 players I don't think anybody had the same team. The limit on how many people can have a given wrestler on their team generally works pretty well to diversify things. I believe in 4 years of doing Fantasy we've only had one tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO it really only gets to be a problem when the top ranks get hit with a wave of injuries. I remember one basho(I want to say November 2020) where everybody ended up with Takakeisho as their y/o pick because Shodai and Asanoyama both went kyujo and the yokozuna weren't competing.