Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

peeve: the places that put an actual code lock on the bathroom door, so you have to ask an employee to use it. Also the public and train station bathrooms in France that require a cheap fee.

If you're going to do this then don't haul people away and name them sex criminals for life if they are forced to poo poo or piss in public. Choose, states.

But then a homeless person might get to use the bathroom and that's a risk we cannot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in Iceland so everything from Amazon is imported.

Often the shipping cost is bigger than the price of the product. Like something costs 30 bucks but to ship it to Iceland costs 50.

Then despite the fact that all customs fees and taxes are meant to be included in that shipping fee the postal service will probably charge 10-20 dollars for "handling".

It used to be cheaper when you could just choose the cheapest shipping method and wait a month or so for it but now express (week or two) is almost always the only option and costs a lot more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ookiimarukochan posted:

Surely that $5 is the "import fees deposit" - it's coming from another country. Amazon started doing this a while ago, selling stuff on marketplaces on behalf of a vendor in another country, and the "pre-paying import duty" came in later.

The import fees thing makes me think it's this, but it's also possible it's being UPSed to a delivery station and then put on one of those amazon vans provided it doesn't get destroyed at the delivery station because someone got fuel tank cleaner on hundreds of boxes or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

May Contain Nuts posted:

you would think ... the delivery person would figure out to not put my food down directly in front of my outward opening screen door.
Delivery people will apparently never figure this out. They seem to be fundamentally incapable of understanding how doors (or gates) work.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

oldpainless posted:

I like wearing my ring but I respect the decisions of people who don’t.

I've been wearing my wedding ring for 22 years. I take it off all the time. It belonged to my great grandfather so he would have bought it from Sears in around 1910ish. He never wore it because he was a farmer and wanted to keep his finger. It's one of those ones with a pot metal core so it doesn't get bends or dings in it. It's only 14K so it's quite sturdy. It was free so, not a bad deal.

My wife is a chemist. I bought her a nice ring a few years after we married to replace the junk one I gave her to start. She never wears it. She insists on getting urea, sulfuric acid, sodium hydroxide, sulphur dioxide, ammonia, and other bad things under it so she stopped wearing it because of the chemical burns. It's the urea that really seems to get you. H2SO4 is better because it itches almost right away.

No ring for her. Nice white gold, pretty diamonds. She never wears it. No worries. Chemical burns hurt.

Why do I take my ring off?

Once I was running a lathe. You know how you normally take jewelry off? I didn't. I was in a hurry. When I turned off the machine, I used my hand as a brake on the chuck, as one is wont to do.

I heard a click, as my ring got caught by one of the jaws. Just a click. After that, no jewelry around any moving parts. I just put the ring in my wallet. I've seen what happens when you get snagged by a spinning shaft. If you think you don't fit through a 1" gap, you're dead wrong. It's crunchy. Never saw it in person, but I've seen the training videos. With sound. Crunchy.

I do want a palladium ring though. My wife won't buy me one. I want a ring that absorbs nitrogen. Maybe I'll need to strip a catalytic converter and make my own. I know how to investment cast. My dad has some dead cars.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

mostlygray posted:

just put the ring in my wallet.

I wonder just how many people have seen the impression and thought "really narrow condom".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

peeve: the places that put an actual code lock on the bathroom door, so you have to ask an employee to use it. Also the public and train station bathrooms in France that require a cheap fee.

shim the door open and poo poo in the sink, imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Delivery people will apparently never figure this out. They seem to be fundamentally incapable of understanding how doors (or gates) work.

The actual situation is they don't give a poo poo because they get crap wages for hard work, and probably loathe you for ordering. That is my delivery experience.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

that and afaik they’re usually under some unrealistic time limits/delivery quotas too :smith:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

HOLY gently caress posted:

that and afaik they’re usually under some unrealistic time limits/delivery quotas too :smith:

they have to write out missed delivery notices as they drive because their timetables are such made up horseshit

like, you know when you hear a knock, answer the door immediately, and they're already gone? that's why. they will literally get fired if they take the time to deliver your poo poo.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jul 17, 2021

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Unfortunately, this is how you get cheap and fast delivery to the door. The only way to fix this (I mean, apart from worker protection laws, but I assume this is in the US) is to opt out of express home delivery when it is provided by companies that do this, or boycotting the retailer when not given an ethical option. Neither of these are very good or always realistic options.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phosphine posted:

Neither of these are very good or always realistic options.

I mean, cutting the rapid delivery down to actual essentials would be nice.

I haven't worked for amazon but doing instacart and doordash sometimes I feel satisfied rapidly delivering diapers. Same rush but it's box wine and pizza? Not so much.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Dip Viscous posted:

they have to write out missed delivery notices as they drive because their timetables are such made up horseshit

like, you know when you hear a knock, answer the door immediately, and they're already gone? that's why. they will literally get fired if they take the time to deliver your poo poo.

definitely, there is only so much that it is physically possible to do and I’m not surprised that scheduling fucks them over, hard.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

shim the door open and poo poo in the sink, imo

Please stop doing this, it's not my fault the owners won't let anyone poop in there without a hall pass and I am very tired of cleaning up the revenge for it.

You're never punishing the guy that makes the rules when you poo poo in a sink.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

fizzymercury posted:

Point well taken, but i'm a making GBS threads fiend.

Edit: to be serious for a second, I am not actually like that. I will only upper deck you if you really deserve it,

Edit 2: if it helps for redemption, I've poo poo my boss's Thermos.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Jul 17, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fizzymercury posted:

Please stop doing this, it's not my fault the owners won't let anyone poop in there without a hall pass and I am very tired of cleaning up the revenge for it.

Break into the house of the guy who makes the rules and poo poo in his sink

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Get poop in the little overflow drain so a tiny poop cork pops out and rolls around in the sink basin when they use the sink

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Break into the house of the guy who makes the rules and poo poo in his sink

:hmmyes: poo poo up, not down

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people don't acknowledge receipt of an email. You asked me for something that helps you do your job and I sent it to you just out of courtesy, the least you could do is drop a "thanks!".

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people don't acknowledge receipt of an email. You asked me for something that helps you do your job and I sent it to you just out of courtesy, the least you could do is drop a "thanks!".

On the flip side, people who respond to an update sent to like 30 people with, ‘thanks [colleague].’ and include all the original recipients. We’re all very grateful for the test update bro, but do you think all 30 of us should get involved with sharing the gratitude?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

On the flip side, people who respond to an update sent to like 30 people with, ‘thanks [colleague].’ and include all the original recipients. We’re all very grateful for the test update bro, but do you think all 30 of us should get involved with sharing the gratitude?

Ugh, people at my work are really bad for that, I feel like the majority of emails that I get are just one word replies to everyone.

That being said though, it's been really difficult for me to remember that sometimes it's appropriate to use reply all despite the fact that it has been repeatedly drilled into my head to never use it EVER.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ugly british babies

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

redundancy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Exactly, we already know all babies are British

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Amazon delivery driver today decided that they can't just leave my package in front of my apartment like everyone else has since the dawn of time. Instead they're going to try again tomorrow.

It's a $20 replacement remote for my TV, not some sort of state secrets. My roommate got the same notice on a pack of t-shirts.

As a side, the other day they delivered something to me, same day, in a Walmart bag. The app says it's still scheduled for delivery this Thursday.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

The Amazon delivery driver today decided that they can't just leave my package in front of my apartment like everyone else has since the dawn of time. Instead they're going to try again tomorrow.

It's a $20 replacement remote for my TV, not some sort of state secrets. My roommate got the same notice on a pack of t-shirts.

As a side, the other day they delivered something to me, same day, in a Walmart bag. The app says it's still scheduled for delivery this Thursday.

If you're in a neighborhood with a lot of stolen packages, UPS will not leave it on your doorstep. Even if it's not signature required, the drive is still responsible for you getting the package. Thus the door tag.

If you can wave the driver down, you can ask that they drop it on your back steps or porch going forward. They'll normally do that unless their route has way too many drops.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ISPs can as always gently caress off.
'Hey I want to cancel my subscription in a bit over a month.'
'Ok, but when you cancel on short notice like this we run it for minimum out the next month, so it'll be more like 7 weeks. (Tee hee our '1month' cancellation clause is bogus')'
'Fine.'

I get the return label for the equipment way earlier than expected, which of course aggressively states that I need to return the equipment ASAP and if I don't return it within 2 weeks they might fine me for it due to 'not returning it'.

So per the poo poo they've sent me, they want me to return my equipment 2-3 weeks before the date I wanted to cancel it, while also running the subscription 3 weeks longer.
Because in the fantasy world they live in they feel it's their right to have me pay for 6-7 weeks where it's physically impossible for me to use their service.

I'm glad they won't be getting any more of my money. (Not that I ever intended to, they just bought the company I was a customer of, which is another peeve.)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
YouTube is constantly giving me makeup ads (I’m watching on a Smart TV so no adblocker) and keeps doing so no matter how many times I pick “stop showing me this ad” and choose “irrelevant” as a reason. I have to have done this like seven times now and I STILL keep getting them. It’s bad enough I had this poo poo forced on me as a kid, I don’t want to deal with it as an adult too :argh:

That’s not even the worst part, the worst part is it then goes back to the video but gets stuck buffering and I have to close the video and open it again and hope it bothered to remember where I was. Also I have to manually turn on CC on every video because there’s no way for me to tell it to have them on by default.

My peeve is YouTube and the fact there’s no good competitors so I can’t tell them to eat my rear end

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Oh yeah, there's another one of mine, apps and websites that make it really hard to turn on and keep on subtitles. I had the worst time with this on the Peacock app the other day, it would suddenly decide to turn them off after starting a new episode (and not every episode too? like it would keep them on for a few and then they'd just disappear) and then the option to turn them back on wouldn't even show up until you tried multiple times. :argh:

oh and also the subtitles were really small with no way to change it :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Butt Detective posted:

YouTube is constantly giving me makeup ads (I’m watching on a Smart TV so no adblocker) and keeps doing so no matter how many times I pick “stop showing me this ad” and choose “irrelevant” as a reason. I have to have done this like seven times now and I STILL keep getting them. It’s bad enough I had this poo poo forced on me as a kid, I don’t want to deal with it as an adult too :argh:

That’s not even the worst part, the worst part is it then goes back to the video but gets stuck buffering and I have to close the video and open it again and hope it bothered to remember where I was. Also I have to manually turn on CC on every video because there’s no way for me to tell it to have them on by default.

My peeve is YouTube and the fact there’s no good competitors so I can’t tell them to eat my rear end

Another YouTube peeve:
The mini player

If you exit out of a video to go back to your main page or whatever, it pops out the video to an overlay, covering up the list of videos I'm trying to look at to decide what to watch!

I think this started as Beta feature rolled out and I had an option to turn it off...I no longer see that option.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The mini player doesn't pop for up me as long as I pause the video before I change pages. That said, I have no idea how that feature is meant to be useful for anyone.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's for horrendous people like me that constantly scroll and watch videos at the same time. I love that thing but I know I'm a bad person for it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

The mini player doesn't pop for up me as long as I pause the video before I change pages. That said, I have no idea how that feature is meant to be useful for anyone.

It's for when nothing in the recommendeds sounds interesting and I need to choose my next song elsewhere before the current song ends

Or so I can play music while finding something to watch with dinner, because I'm sad and alone

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My YouTube app changed recently, now I need to access some janky remote function to skip ads and as it is a change I hate it!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

I can't seem to get it to stop whether I pause or not. The really infuriating thing is that even if the video finishes playing all the way through, it still pops out and hangs there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate when I pick up a word and accidentally use it too often.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Indolent Bastard posted:

My YouTube app changed recently, now I need to access some janky remote function to skip ads and as it is a change I hate it!

Now the app closes when I open the remote or turn the phone's screen off when casting. FFS. I'll be connecting my laptop to my TV with HDMI soon enough. Thanks the YouTube app. :bang:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive never pressed the capslock key on purpose

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

ive never pressed the capslock key on purpose

I work in engineering, and capital letters are standard on drawings, so I end up sending a lot of caps locked messages, when I just need to respond quickly to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The three "lock" keys have occasional, niche uses, but for most people most of the time they're far more likely to cause problems than solve them. Aside from Scroll Lock, which is so pointless in modern systems that it literally does nothing unless you go out of your way to assign it a customised function. We'd be better off if Caps Lock and Num Lock were software settings rather than buttons.