Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

I know next to nothing about film production, but I assume this is because there would be basically no way to make it consistent frame to frame? So you'd end up with differences in each frame, producing some sort of strobe like effect?

Yes you don't color grade any film frame to frame (and definitely not modern digital films). You color shot by shot (obviously single frame fixes can occure here and there).

I'm not familiar with that particularly story, but it sounds like those dubious marketing "horror" stories that pop out of films now that advertising creates to form a buzz about a movie before it opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Excuse me for saying frame by frame because I also don't really know how coloring actually works.

I just know that Fox was legitimately concerned about that film getting pushed

BonoMan posted:

Yes you don't color grade any film frame to frame (and definitely not modern digital films). You color shot by shot (obviously single frame fixes can occure here and there).

I'm not familiar with that particularly story, but it sounds like those dubious marketing "horror" stories that pop out of films now that advertising creates to form a buzz about a movie before it opens.

Except I was involved in the marketing of the film and I am certainly not trying to create a buzz, we had to replace all the shots in our trailers and TV spots we were working on with colorized shots the director was doing himself into the wee hours of the night like a crazy person

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Excuse me for saying frame by frame because I also don't really know how coloring actually works.

I just know that Fox was legitimately concerned about that film getting pushed

Except I was involved in the marketing of the film and I am certainly not trying to create a buzz, we had to replace all the shots in our trailers and TV spots we were working on with colorized shots the director was doing himself into the wee hours of the night like a crazy person

Right I know you work for a trailer company, but it did sound like those classic stories that pop out now-a-days.

Looks like the director actually got his start as a VFX artist and supervisor so I'm guessing he had a pretty clear understanding of what he wanted and was trying to do what he can.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

BonoMan posted:

Maybe he just felt really old-school and wanted to go back to the time when certain prestigious films were hand-coloured frame by frame. :shrug:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Like Fantasia?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

See if you can tell what color the bearded lady's dress is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRyMoHJu-i8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka5ULblqG8A

Is it blue? Is it green? Is it aquamarine? Depends on the frame shot

BonoMan posted:

Right I know you work for a trailer company, but it did sound like those classic stories that pop out now-a-days.

Looks like the director actually got his start as a VFX artist and supervisor so I'm guessing he had a pretty clear understanding of what he wanted and was trying to do what he can.

I have worked for a trailer house but at the time I was working at Fox. I don't mind telling these stories now though because welp Fox is gone.

And also those manufactured stories to build buzz does happen but it's usually taking some kernel of truth and pumping it up rather than just inventing it. Or, at least in my experience I guess. I'm also low on the totem pole of being in the loop just to be clear.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 15, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Retrowave Joe posted:

Like Fantasia?

No, I meant the earliest days of cinema, when people literally painted on actual film stock because there was no other way of getting colour. Something like this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

And also those manufactured stories to build buzz does happen but it's usually taking some kernel of truth and pumping it up rather than just inventing it. Or, at least in my experience I guess. I'm also low on the totem pole of being in the loop just to be clear.

Oh yeah I meant to say that in my original post. It's usually something with just stupid hyperbole. Now that I think of it though, I don't feel like I've really heard one in a while.

Also goddamn those videos, I couldn't even focus on the inconsistent color because the movie is just *so bad.*

And I love musicals. Like I have an irrational love for them and hated literally every single thing about that movie.

edit: When is the next Baz Lurhmann moving coming out?

edit 2: Holy poo poo it's an Elvis musical biopic coming out next year!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 15, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

edit: When is the next Baz Lurhmann moving coming out?

edit 2: Holy poo poo it's an Elvis musical biopic coming out next year!

Kinda crazy it's been nearly 10 years since he directed an actual movie. Kinda bums me it's the 3rd subject in a row he's handling that doesn't interest me but he can make it fun at least.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Also goddamn those videos, I couldn't even focus on the inconsistent color because the movie is just *so bad.*

I've had to work on some really bad movies but that one really grated me because the songs are such earworms and the audacity to make a movie about how liberating PT Barnum was is unbelievable.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

See if you can tell what color the bearded lady's dress is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRyMoHJu-i8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka5ULblqG8A

Is it blue? Is it green? Is it aquamarine? Depends on the frame shot

I have worked for a trailer house but at the time I was working at Fox. I don't mind telling these stories now though because welp Fox is gone.

Fuckin' lol Fox was a complete poo poo show. You would think after Josh Trank they would have maybe learned their lesson and not given a first time director complete control and oversight of an 85 million dollar film. But I guess it made a poo poo ton at the box office after they tripled the budget in marketing, so I'm sure he'll get a chance to gently caress up another film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Fuckin' lol Fox was a complete poo poo show. You would think after Josh Trank they would have maybe learned their lesson and not given a first time director complete control and oversight of an 85 million dollar film. But I guess it made a poo poo ton at the box office after they tripled the budget in marketing, so I'm sure he'll get a chance to gently caress up another film.

Yeah if anyone like takes the time to watch both those it's hilarious. Sometimes the dress is green up top and blue on the bottom. Sometimes it's all blue, or all green. Then the dress changes and sometimes it is purple and then literally turns maroon. It's all over the place! What a lunatic. First he did this with the trailers and then attempted to do it with the whole film.

Still not as bad as Gore Verbinski though, who is an actual insane person and tried to take over the entire marketing department for A Cure For Wellness and was like, cutting :15 spots specifically for Korea instead of finishing his film. He cut a full trailer because he demanded to do it and it was just a 2 minute version of the film from beginning to end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Still not as bad as Gore Verbinski though, who is an actual insane person and tried to take over the entire marketing department for A Cure For Wellness and was like, cutting :15 spots specifically for Korea instead of finishing his film. He cut a full trailer because he demanded to do it and it was just a 2 minute version of the film from beginning to end.

Old school trailers are BACK

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Time for a GI Joe PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBrEpeehWX0

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is pretty funny. Actually it just sold me on the movie. gently caress it, I’m in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is pretty funny. Actually it just sold me on the movie. gently caress it, I’m in.

:same: That was fun. Though I know the movie won't be the same tone.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Say what you will about a GI Joe origins movie, but the action looks pretty solid in the trailers. I'm gonna fucken watch it!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Yeah if anyone like takes the time to watch both those it's hilarious. Sometimes the dress is green up top and blue on the bottom. Sometimes it's all blue, or all green. Then the dress changes and sometimes it is purple and then literally turns maroon. It's all over the place! What a lunatic. First he did this with the trailers and then attempted to do it with the whole film.

Gore Verbinski owns and so does that movie. And I don’t blame him because I would want to do that. Cutting trailers is so much fun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It made $26m though

worldwide

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I chuckled.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

It made $26m though

worldwide

Yeah. But it’s a good movie that will last forever. I hope it gets the praise it deserves. It’s a cool film from a really good unique director.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My fav trivia about The Greatest Showman is my friend (who was an entertainment critic in the local papers at the time) wrote that the "Never Enough" song, specifically this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jZVsr7q-tE

was so ambiguous that it could be easily be the singer lamenting the insufficiency of chicken nuggets. He later told us he received tons of angry messages from people who could no longer enjoy the movie and its soundtrack(s).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Would have loved if this was the first trailer they did.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

I actually went back and watched it and... I didn't see any of that. The dress stays green up top and blue on bottom the whole time (sometimes the overlay of the lyric video text will affect the color) and then she switches to an entirely different dress (the purple one). Both dresses are that sateen finish that can appear pearlescent in the different lights though so, given the constant traversing through different lighting setups, it can reflect differently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jerkface posted:

Say what you will about a GI Joe origins movie, but the action looks pretty solid in the trailers. I'm gonna fucken watch it!!!

I didnt even know it was a GI Joe movie from one of the trailers - thought it was a really cool and violent martial arts flick.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jerkface posted:

The funniest thing is that if you watch the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us", the true origin of Snake Eyes was that they couldn't afford all the paint colours needed for the first production run of figures. They could have left one colour off of each figure to make the budget work, or (and this is what they ended up doing) just drop all the paints from one figure and sell it as plain black figure because uh... gently caress it he's now a ninja, called Snake Eyes who then went on to become the best selling figure they ever had

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I actually went back and watched it and... I didn't see any of that. The dress stays green up top and blue on bottom the whole time (sometimes the overlay of the lyric video text will affect the color) and then she switches to an entirely different dress (the purple one). Both dresses are that sateen finish that can appear pearlescent in the different lights though so, given the constant traversing through different lighting setups, it can reflect differently.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oh lol I was only looking at the lyric video where everything does stay consistent. Forgot about the trailer link.

In other news duck you got making me watch that goddamn video again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I didnt even know it was a GI Joe movie from one of the trailers - thought it was a really cool and violent martial arts flick.

The second trailer starts actually talking about Cobra.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah about 1:30 in but before that it could have been any action movie. It’s quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upk8OC8DPIs

It came up before another video so it’s not like I clicked it knowing what I was getting into, hehe.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

biopic about Martin Bryant. chilling trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK9RUl1BV4

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

biopic about Martin Bryant. chilling trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK9RUl1BV4

I mean, immersion ruined by it clearly not being filmed in Tasmania.

It looks good but I'm not going to watch it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I went to look up who this guy is on Wikipedia and uh, wtf. He's a severely mentally unwell and likely of reduced capacity and intelligence who killed his guardian, his dad and then got bored and suicidal so he went on to kill his neighbours, shoot up several places in Port Arthur, raking up a body count of more than 30 people, took a hostage to the neighbour's house, during police neogitation murdered the hostage, set the house ablaze and got caught with his rear end on fire.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 19, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sounds like a great double feature with the laugh-a-minute Snowtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZE3Un9HOL0

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I went to look up who this guy is on Wikipedia and uh, wtf. He's a severely mentally unwell and likely of reduced capacity and intelligence who killed his guardian, his dad and then got bored and suicidal so he went on to kill his neighbours, shoot up several places in Port Arthur, raking up a body count of more than 30 people, took a hostage to the neighbour's house, during police neogitation murdered the hostage, set the house ablaze and got caught with his rear end on fire.

You don't need to spoil that Port Arthur was the most infamous non-American mass shooting until Utoya and Christchurch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I never heard of it so news to me.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

I never heard of it so news to me.

Surprising, it’s the exact thing that led to Australia going “gently caress it, we’re instituting gun control”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deXQ7vyru3A

Written by Affleck and Damon (and Nicole Holofcener), and directed by Ridley Scott.

Not exactly the follow up to Good Will Hunting I expected from those two, but looks good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCG6E1r0PZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Affleck and Damon look like a couple of 3 Doors Down fans that stumbled onto set