Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

BlindSite posted:

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

The only thing I'm fighting for
Is to pay my lawyers good

See my chest, see my chest
tatts of crowned gorillas are the best

Hear this trash talk, there's no better
Than authentic Irish banter

See my leg, it was shattered
Now my career is in tatters

Cry against the cage
opponents wife will hear my rage

MMA fans they all titter
while my agent locks my twitter

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

Cry against the cage

MMA fans they all titter

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
huh

https://twitter.com/AdamHillLVRJ/status/1416168294785044480

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BlindSite posted:

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

Cry against the cage

MMA fans they all titter

:eyepop:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i cant believe conor would lie!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

good to know the doctors working for the commission didn't fail to detect an exploded leg. they missed the pre-existing heartlidge injury though.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Goddamn Conor is really in the sore loser hall of name now isn't he, right up there with Luke Rockhold after getting whomped by Bisping

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Marching Powder posted:

they missed the pre-existing heartlidge injury though.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

UFC will probably do this too. Diego Sanchez got cut for trying a scam around this as well so they don't need a negligence lawsuit

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

good to know the doctors working for the commission didn't fail to detect an exploded leg. they missed the pre-existing heartlidge injury though.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Oops the GDT is late but so is the card, they're just running promos still

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chaleski posted:

Goddamn Conor is really in the sore loser hall of name now isn't he, right up there with Luke Rockhold after getting whomped by Bisping

He was kind of a sore winner as well so I don't know why this would surprise anyone.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Asking every single winner to call someone out kills the appeal of calling someone out.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The only post fight interviews that should be allowed are the Diaz brothers, win or loss

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Orange Carlisle posted:

The only post fight interviews that should be allowed are the Diaz brothers, win or loss

And Derrick Lewis. And Uriah Hall.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait. What?! People actually want to see Uriah sociopath his way through an interview where Joe tells him for the thirteenth time that he's finally starting to live up to all that potential?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lol @ makhachev calling out rda. those dagestani AKA boys are good at picking match ups.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

lol @ makhachev calling out rda. those dagestani AKA boys are good at picking match ups.

It's a smart callout for Makhachev but I also think it might be the right one. Beating 2021 Tony would mean nothing, and I just flat out don't want to watch him stifle Gaethje or Chandler. RDA still has a bit of credibility left, he's big at 155 and his wrestling has improved significantly throughout his UFC career. It's not a bad matchup!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Brut posted:

Holy poo poo this is way more candid than I ever expected, here's 20 minutes of Dana White stories. (kind of)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8reVSydTEU

Quoting this so I can find it later

BlindSite posted:

Goddamn

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1416906703400996866

Triology man!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Makhachev is good but I don't think he's khabib 2.0 I think he might be like 75% of a khabib. Real difference in physical strength imo. Someone like gaethje or chandler might straighten him out on the feet. Would certainly watch him and rda but I think RDA gets wrassled.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Makhachev is good but I don't think he's khabib 2.0

Yeah he seemed like a slow starter, like he can technically do the things khabib could do but wasn't an utterly dominating performance like khabib

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BlindSite posted:

Some men fight for sport
Others fight for food

Cry against the cage

MMA fans they all titter

Gross, don’t make me like you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/stankymma/status/1416797980263342083?s=20
:laugh:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've recently been alerted to the fact that Petr Yan almost exclusively posts about Aljamain Sterling on his Twitter. Aljo should retire as champ because Yan is building up an almost psychotic obsession with him. That rematch gonna be brutal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yan is going to crush Sterling with the full weight of the arctic circle (again)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Brut posted:

Holy poo poo this is way more candid than I ever expected, here's 20 minutes of Dana White stories. (kind of)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8reVSydTEU

lol ariel helwani talking about being an outcast at ESPN and eating lunch alone.

edit: getting a classic "i'm not mad. actually, i'm laughing" from ariel

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 19, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He is the dork that he’s always come across as, but the treatment by ESPN on Dana’s behalf is definitely lovely, and he has the right to be upset by it even if he claims he isn’t.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

Yeah he seemed like a slow starter, like he can technically do the things khabib could do but wasn't an utterly dominating performance like khabib

Yeah hes certainly sub-khabib, possibly more sure of himself standing up than khabib though, his striking was effective if unassuming. Certainly doesn't have to cut as much weight either which is another different advantage.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Anyone who pisses Dana off is great, but other than that, gently caress Ariel.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I know MMA journalism isn't real, cause all the people who could credibly claim to be one think Ariel, a guy who was taking Dana's money and who just does press releases in his own voice, is also a journalist.

Edit: that guy who does the in depth articles on Chechen MMA excepted

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

reeg posted:

It's a smart callout for Makhachev but I also think it might be the right one. Beating 2021 Tony would mean nothing, and I just flat out don't want to watch him stifle Gaethje or Chandler. RDA still has a bit of credibility left, he's big at 155 and his wrestling has improved significantly throughout his UFC career. It's not a bad matchup!

rda is very good but he's old and loses to physically dominant wrestlers who can push him backwards or into the fence (kevin lee please fix your cardio)

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

rda is very good but he's old and loses to physically dominant wrestlers who can push him backwards or into the fence (kevin lee please fix your cardio)

Oh for sure. I think RDA loses that matchup like 9 out of 10 times. I just think that the fight makes sense because it will propel Islam to a place where fans want to see him fight a Gaethje or Chandler or Dariush. I think main eventing against a talented but nameless Thiago Moises has done Makhachev no favors in terms of building a fanbase. If he fought and ground someone top tier now fans would just think it was boring and boo him. Khabib didn't fight the top of the pile until he absolutely had to (granted, this was partially because of his injuries) and it really benefitted him in terms of making him a star who people wanted to watch sambo the poo poo out of strikers

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah in the promotional/hype sense it's a good fight i guess but it seems too lopsided and predictable for me to care, i'd much rather they just chuck him into the deep end of the pool and see if he can swim. he's clearly very good. it's just a question of how very good.

i understand that the ufc doesn't work this way anymore though, having as few losses as possible seems to be getting more and more important.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah in the promotional/hype sense it's a good fight i guess but it seems too lopsided and predictable for me to care, i'd much rather they just chuck him into the deep end of the pool and see if he can swim. he's clearly very good. it's just a question of how very good.

i understand that the ufc doesn't work this way anymore though, having as few losses as possible seems to be getting more and more important.

Sometimes I have wistful memories of the more competition-focused UFC where matchmaking was about putting the best against the best to find the one true champion

BUT

I ultimately think it's good and labor-friendly that the belt has become demystified. Fighters pick fights like they are a brand in the name of making more money. On a sporting level that's lame but in a notoriously anti-athlete sport I think its good that they've claimed that agency

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1417222061395611648

if only he had that drat tape, folks...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

I know MMA journalism isn't real, cause all the people who could credibly claim to be one think Ariel, a guy who was taking Dana's money and who just does press releases in his own voice, is also a journalist.

Edit: that guy who does the in depth articles on Chechen MMA excepted

I was gonna say Luke Thomas hates Ariel but I also don't think he even considers himself an MMA journalist at this point.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't know poo poo about Ariel which is why it's Dana who comes off bad to me in the story about how Dana couldn't be a normal person and be in the same building.

Edit: I googled how much he was making at ESPN. They both seem like idiots now.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 19, 2021

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So what happened between Meisha Tate and Bryan Caraway? Last I remember they were engaged, but didn't really hear much since they were both in the UFC. I remember from watching the TUF season with her and Ronda that Tate seemed like a fairly nice, sane person, and remembered that Caraway seemed like a huge douche, so I wondered what the deal was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't know poo poo about Ariel which is why it's Dana who comes off bad to me in the story about how Dana couldn't be a normal person and be in the same building.

Edit: I googled how much he was making at ESPN. They both seem like idiots now.

$500,000 is a good salary by any reasonable standard, but it's considerably low for an ESPN broadcaster with name value. Obviously he has been around a lot longer and covers real sports so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but Stephen A. Smith makes $8 mil for example.

And then ESPN offered Ariel a paycut to re-sign after his third year. His coverage was perfectly fine and exactly what anyone would have reasonably expected it to be, so I don't think it is a case of him not being worth his original salary. So, in summation,

kimbo305 posted:

He is the dork that he’s always come across as, but the treatment by ESPN on Dana’s behalf is definitely lovely, and he has the right to be upset by it even if he claims he isn’t.