Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can only speak for myself, but I loving love the Kruleboyz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I think there's firmly two camps with them: you either really like them, or you really don't like them.

I mean, I like Orcs in general, but there are sculpts and particular lines I'm indifferent on, like the new Beast snaggas. I don't super dislike them, but they really don't do much for me.

The kruel boyz though, I'm definitely in the camp of "don't like." I bought Dominion and I'm hanging on to a couple of their units, because they may come in handy in warcry or something, but I can't ever see running them in an army or anything, simply because I just don't care for the look of them.

But, that's just me - I'm not here to yuck anyone's yum.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im an ork lover and the kruleboyz are cool to me. Plus you can just as easily flip it around and say that Stormcast are not space marines no matter how much gw wishes they were and an Elf army of some variety would have been a bigger draw. Without having access to market research its hard to tell what was the stumbling block besides AoS just being less popular than 40k period.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

From personal experience, the number of people that were not into the Kruleboyz were vastly outnumbered by the number of people that said things along the lines of 'not another loving box with loving Stormcast...'

They probably could have done at least as well, if not better, if there had been any other army paired with the Kruleboyz.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Besides AOS not being quite the same size as 40k, a big AOS starter was never going to sell as well as Indomitus for the simple reason that Stormcast do not have the same pull as space marines. Hell, like half the factions in 40k are space marines and could use the new Indomitus marines. The market was absolutely flooded with the Necron half of Indomitus after it's release. Probably still is.

Stormcast are one faction out of 20 or so and their popularity isn't very far above average. Space Marines are like half of 40k.

As for Kruleboyz, people seem to either absolutely adore them or hate them, which tells me they probably did something right.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
As a new player to AoS (hoping to eventually be able to play) I think the other key difference from my understanding Stormcast are not exactly a top tier army. Whereas Space marines are both popular and usually at least mid to high ranking on the competitive scene throughout every edition of 40k. Most commentators I have seen don't think much of Stormcast though that might change. I think Dominion would have sold much better If it had had two different armies or armies that are popular with older model ranges.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 19, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They apparently had more boxes then with Indomidis and have been happy with how things have sold.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

space marines also have the benefit of having a dedicated fanbase for over 20 years. sigmarines were backwards engineered to be space marines by people who didn't understand why space marines were popular to begin with. like i don't know a lot about 40k but they've had time to build up a story with them. there's all sorts of chapters that play differently and have wildly different identities. for sigmarines you have the blizzard NPC model approach where they just dunked the same "man with hammer" in different coats of paint and called it a day

edit:

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think some of it may have to do with a lot of people weren't as receptive to the Krule Boyz. Personally, I would have liked to see classic Orruks / Iron Jawz bolstered by new units, rather than a reimagining of orcs to be bolted onto greenskins.

People love their orcs / orks, and I don't think they care for the aesthetic changing.
maybe if the orc players bought more models, they'd be spared the same fate as the rest of the armies that didn't sell enough to be slowly phased out in favor of models with more enforceable IP rights (dwarfs, high elves, tomb kings, bretonnians, wood elves, etc)

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think they vastly overrated demand. The fact that all these stores that were supposed to get their third waves in November/December wound up getting everything already certainly seems to point to GW thinking they were going to sell a lot more through the web store than they actually did.

I think some of it may have to do with a lot of people weren't as receptive to the Krule Boyz. Personally, I would have liked to see classic Orruks / Iron Jawz bolstered by new units, rather than a reimagining of orcs to be bolted onto greenskins.

People love their orcs / orks, and I don't think they care for the aesthetic changing.

this is what i've heard from my friend who plays both orcs and orks, he loves the new models but doesn't like that they are a different aesthetic and will stand out from the rest of his stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I figured that the Dominion box was intended to be an in stock item for the foreseeable future.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Booyah- posted:

this is what i've heard from my friend who plays both orcs and orks, he loves the new models but doesn't like that they are a different aesthetic and will stand out from the rest of his stuff.

That's kinda where I'm at. I like the division in the Ork Warclans, and it reflecting a bit in the models, but for me the Kruleboyz lean a bit too far away from the rest of the Orkz. I think it's a mix of all the ragged clothes and the sharp faces, makes everything feel very goblin-y.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

I figured that the Dominion box was intended to be an in stock item for the foreseeable future.

Nah, it was kinda obvious they were going to follow the Indomitus pattern with it and have it be a great starter for some and then replace it with smaller proper starter sets.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I like the Krule Boyz, except for the hobgobbos. If they had just done a few revisions to those designs, I think the whole set would have been a home run.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tbh its kind of funny to see everyone have the same aversion to kruleboyz as they did to the orcs in the hobbit movies vs the ones in lotr, especially when the kruleboyz look just like the hobbit orcs

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The kruelboyz are definitely divisive, and Stormcast aren't universally useful in the same way the Marines are.

Dominion also introduced the KBZ in the worst possible way, promising a new army and then delivering a variant of an existing army that left a sour LotR taste in a lot of players. People were expecting Fimir, Chaos Dwarfs, more conventional Hobgoblins, or even something totally new and the hype machine backfired: everyone wanted something cooler than what was actually coming up.

The SCE look great, but are completely forgettable if you're not into Stormcast Eternals.

By comparison, Indominus had figures for the most popular 40k army AND long-overdue refreshed sculpts for a range that needed love. And the new rulebook for their most popular game.

I think GW looked at the Indominus success story and expected it again, but thought the winning formula was just "new rulebook and two armies" without deeper consideration. We're going to see boxed sets on shelves for a while, I think.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Cursed city sold out mega fast, but something definitely went wrong with that and they probably had less of those than the wanted to have. I don’t think it helped sales that 3.0 felt a bit rushed, with a bunch of stuff being borked and wonky at release, though most of that is fixed now. Not saying that the game is dead btw, before someone goes all Reddit on me. I think that, unless they went with a wildly different sales strategy than they normally do, they definitely overestimated demand.

It’s also probably because 40k is so much more popular in general and they just can’t keep up with demand for that. I can’t remember the last time they did a limited 40k box that didn’t sell out extremely fast. The super overpriced blood of the phoenix I guess. The new ork box sold out within an hour just this weekend, despite being just orks. I think a couple of the more boring christmas boxes also stayed around, but most of them were gone instantly.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Painted up some more rusty Stormcast:

Yndrasta

Praetors

Leena Stormspire and Larissa Shadowstalker

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I love the Kruleboyz. It's serendipitous that they dropped right after Soulblight Gravelords killed my interest in my Undead army.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Painted up some more rusty Stormcast:

Yndrasta

Praetors

Leena Stormspire and Larissa Shadowstalker

Fuuuuuuck these are good

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/19/these-brilliant-event-heroes-will-be-available-this-saturday-for-nine-days-only/

GW is a pair of older event exclusive models made to order for the next nine days.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Rad

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/19/meet-the-powerful-kruleboyz-shaman-whos-best-mates-with-kragnos-or-so-he-claims/

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ok that's a centrepiece that's sold me on getting a Kruleboyz army.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's a sweet bird

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Haha that vulture is amazing and I was already thinking of doing a desert theme with my Dominion stuff, which this would slot very nicely into.

I really like the Kruleboyz aesthetic but I'm also definitely in the camp of wishing they'd almost been their own army because yeah, they clash really hard with all of the existing Orruk stuff in every way.

I'm hoping mono-faction lists are still strong enough that it's not an issue, because a mixture of Ironjawz, Kruleboyz, and Savage Orruks would look like a complete clown show on the table.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That bird is rad, I really like the second version with the horned bird, and spear and shield rider.

Kruleboyz is an odd aesthetic. The models look great, but it does feel like they were going to go with Fimir but decided to dodge their unfortunate history while also trying to give a boost to greenskin sales.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The vulture dude is rad as hell

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That bird is right out of The Dark Crystal, love it!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wonder if the vulture counts as a Monster

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm hoping mono-faction lists are still strong enough that it's not an issue, because a mixture of Ironjawz, Kruleboyz, and Savage Orruks would look like a complete clown show on the table.

I think Big Waaagh's will look fine, if you keep the clans thematically separated. Like, limiting the Kruleboyz to the ranged units, while the Ironjawz & Savage orks are the infantry and boar cavalry could be an okay mix. If you start mixing the Gutrippa's into the infantry for example, I think that's when you start feeling the odd man out of the three factions. But, I haven't seen any pics so far of combined armies or trying to paint them cohesively, so this is mostly just me hoping.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 19, 2021

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I wasn't really jamming on the Kruleboys until I saw the vulture and realized that they're 100% Jim Henson's Labyrinth as a faction. Frankly AOS is probably the best setting for them with that in mind. They just need a Lord model that looks suspiciously like David Bowie and the image is complete.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Having genetic diversity in the Orruk population is cool and good, actually

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I wasn't really jamming on the Kruleboys until I saw the vulture and realized that they're 100% Jim Henson's Labyrinth as a faction. Frankly AOS is probably the best setting for them with that in mind. They just need a Lord model that looks suspiciously like David Bowie and the image is complete.
Maybe a Sigvald conversion could do the trick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chaos Dwarf spotted

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. That model is amazing. If I didn’t have too many already, and only pugs to play, I’d totally start an army of mean orks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loving the vulture but no matter which build I go for it's gonna have the helmet head.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ye olde-hammer greenskin soup was great fun

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love how Gobsprakk has the severed hand of a lord of change as proof of how hard he owned it

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I love how Gobsprakk has the severed hand of a lord of change as proof of how hard he owned it

the best part is that it is bound to the material plane by his desire to show it off

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

the best part is that it is bound to the material plane by his desire to show it off

Regardless of 40K or AoS, Orkz iz best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Didn't the teaser promise a SCE thingy next week that can tear an Ogre in half