Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to distract from the completely valid complaint of Apple not putting weather and calculators on iPads, but Windy has a pretty good widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lmao, the iPad 15 public beta still doesn't have a goddamn weather app, but you can add a weather widget that brings you to weather.com when you tap on it. That makes no sense.
iPadOS14 allowed you to add that awesome widget!!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

lmao, the iPad 15 public beta still doesn't have a goddamn weather app, but you can add a weather widget that brings you to weather.com when you tap on it. That makes no sense.

Bugs and unfinished features is what you should expect when you install a beta version of an OS tho

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Bugs and unfinished features is what you should expect when you install a beta version of an OS tho

I don’t think Apple will ever add a valid weather app to the iPad. Same goes for the calculator.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

they're not going to suddenly introduce a weather app in a new ipados 15 beta tbh

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Skeezy posted:

I don’t think Apple will ever add a valid weather app to the iPad. Same goes for the calculator.

Does the iPad not come with the Weather.com app like the iPhone does? I mean it’s :effort: on their part that they don’t make an in-house weather app but that works fine

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Keith Atherton posted:

Does the iPad not come with the Weather.com app like the iPhone does? I mean it’s :effort: on their part that they don’t make an in-house weather app but that works fine
:raise:
iOS comes with an in-house weather app, not a weather.com one. What am I missing here...

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fourwood posted:

iOS comes with an in-house weather app, not a weather.com one. What am I missing here...

This man is correct, no idea what OP means. To make it complicated though, the Apple Weather app is built on weather.com tech. The Weather Channel logo is on there.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

fourwood posted:

Yes I’m an idiot. Data comes from the Weather Channel so that is why Weather Channel branding is in the app

Still weird seeing another company’s branding in a default iPhone app!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

fourwood posted:

Laziness

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah it makes me wonder how much they paid to get their logo stamped on the app instead of tucked into an About page somewhere.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They bought Dark Sky, why not use that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Charles posted:

They bought Dark Sky, why not use that?

they do, that’s where the local precipitation and next-hour forecast come from

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

e: nvm

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stebe never needed a weather app or calculator app on his iPad, therefore neither should anyone else.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Duckman2008 posted:

Stebe never needed a weather app or calculator app on his iPad, therefore neither should anyone else.

This is becoming more of a problem now that every child owns an iPad.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do I need to disable *all* App Store notifications to get rid of this poo poo? I’m getting them every day since activating the Apple Arcade trial.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's pretty hilarious that Apple is pushing the iPad as a viable work device, and yet still doesn't include a loving calculator out of the box. A tool found and needed in a lot of offices. All because they're trying to figure out ThE bEsT eXpErIeNcE eVeR!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The actual reason it doesn't have a calculator is because no one got around to updating the phone version to deal with the larger screen of the iPad screen prior to the big launch, Steve Jobs hated how it looked and made them delete it. And they've simply "forgotten" to update the app in the 11 years since.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

The actual reason it doesn't have a calculator is because no one got around to updating the phone version to deal with the larger screen of the iPad screen prior to the big launch, Steve Jobs hated how it looked and made them delete it. And they've simply "forgotten" to update the app in the 11 years since.

It's such an embarrassing lack.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who needs a calculator when you have Siri?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Who needs Siri when you can do math in your head?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

astral posted:

Who needs Siri when you can do math in your head?

Me

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I get 'Silenced' calls on Verizon and it works pretty well, I used to use Hiya but during a few OS upgrades it literally let everything through so I killed it and sent them an email saying I'll resubscribe when you fix the drat app, never got a response.

RoboFence used to work ok but they vanished from the App Store and their crowdsourced robolist wasn't being updated..

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

May we remember the soldiers we lost along the way.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Who needs a calculator when you have Siri?
Who needs Siri when you don’t need to awkwardly talk at your phone when with other people and have them have to stop talking every time you want to do a sum.

(Yes, my dad constantly uses voice to do everything with his phone while I’m mid-sentence in a conversation)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve used Siri exactly once. It was years ago so I don’t remember the question but when I said “Thank you” Siri didn’t say “You’re welcome” which I thought was rude so I haven’t used it since :colbert:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I used to be back and forth between two cities for work, so I've got (GPS location) and a specific city as two locations in the weather app.

I've since moved to aforementioned specific city, so no more back and forth. However, the two listings in the weather app are now effectively different at all times. Every single value is different -- by a pretty insignificant amount most of the time, yes, but what the hell?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

enojy posted:

I used to be back and forth between two cities for work, so I've got (GPS location) and a specific city as two locations in the weather app.

I've since moved to aforementioned specific city, so no more back and forth. However, the two listings in the weather app are now effectively different at all times. Every single value is different -- by a pretty insignificant amount most of the time, yes, but what the hell?

I've noticed weather.com will let you pick a specific ZIP, but will still list it as city, state. You can put in a different ZIP, get same city, state but different temp values.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have a full HomeKit enabled home (lights/ac-heat/candles/pet fountain) and I’m yelling at Siri all the god damned time it rules.

I’d get smart blinds for the window and vents for the ac if they ever went on sale. Smart home owns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I use Spotlight for calculating. DuckDuckGo's calculator in Safari if I'm already in there. Or Calcbot for an actual calculator.

Tapping on the Spotlight result opens the Calculator on iPhone and...browser on iPad like everything else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xzzy posted:

That's a carrier thing, AT&T has been doing it for a while now. Not all spam calls get that label but most do. Fortunately the ones that get through are always the same area code as my phone which is the other easy way to filter.

I wish I was that lucky, like 25% of the junk calls I get are labeled as such. Since I have to pretty much pick up numbers I don't recognize otherwise, it's a huge pain that drives me kind of nuts sometimes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I moved to a city where the area code is a bit different from my personal area code.

Makes it kind of easy to see what’s spam and what’s not - if it’s the area code of the town I live in now, probably not spam.

Same as my area code, probably spam.

Most calls are still spam. :smith:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there any way for MagSafe charging to work with regular TPU phone cases? I keep seeing these specific cases with the circle on the back that lead me to believe I couldn't solve my wife's Qi charger issues with a MagSafe-based charger without forcing her to replace the cute case she has on it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Is there any way for MagSafe charging to work with regular TPU phone cases? I keep seeing these specific cases with the circle on the back that lead me to believe I couldn't solve my wife's Qi charger issues with a MagSafe-based charger without forcing her to replace the cute case she has on it.

I’m pretty sure the bulk of what MagSafe is is the magnetic portion of it all, the rest is just wireless charging. So if the case works with a wireless charger, it should work fine with a normal case and MagSafe charger. The thicker the case is, the less likely it’ll work because, y’know, magnets.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it's just a matter of being within distance to charge (assuming it can charge through the material) and magnetism to keep it attached. Cases are generally thin enough to charge fine, but the magnet usually isn't enough for a solid hold without an extra magnet embedded or attached to the case.

There's ring magnet stickers you can stick inside the case, but if the case is too thick you still get the same problem. Otherwise you stick the magnet on the case itself (or plain metal ring even, cause the charger/dock itself is magnetic enough), but aesthetically it might defeat the purpose of trying to keep the case in the first place.

There's two ring magnet arrays I've seen. The pretty common one has a bunch of small squarish ones that looks like the OEM setup, with or without the extra two on the bottom to line things up. The other has a lot fewer long/curved magnets, I think that one has a stronger hold and is meant for the docking side, but works on the phone too. There's whole filled circle things too that have one of those ring arrays inside.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I fooled with a bunch of 'thin' cases with my iPhone 12.

Make a long story short, if you want to use MagSafe, don't waste your time with the cheap Amazon poo poo, even if it says it's MagSafe compatible. Get an official case or one has the official 'made for iPhone' branding and make sure it specifically says it's MagSafe.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I fooled with a bunch of 'thin' cases with my iPhone 12.

Make a long story short, if you want to use MagSafe, don't waste your time with the cheap Amazon poo poo, even if it says it's MagSafe compatible. Get an official case or one has the official 'made for iPhone' branding and make sure it specifically says it's MagSafe.
I bought and returned a few MagSafe compatible ones with magnets and they stuck on and worked fine. Some even did the whole MagSafe case animation thing...but the rest of the quality control was poo poo, like the ring was off center, or lining edges were messy, or slightly small so super tight, etc.

If something says compatible without having magnets (like just relying on thinness and/or texture), then yeah definitely don't bother. The only case that works without anything extra is basically a bumper type that leaves the back open...and as I found out, that might not work on the 12 mini btw. Like at least with the car charger I got, it's basically the same width as the 12 mini, so any case lip from a bumper is too much. I was able to trim the case around the MagSafe area so it works at least :effort:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a good magsafe phone charger/holder that is one you mount to the dash NOT a vent holder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After experiencing 85 hours of no power this past week due to a storm, I'm thinking of getting the official MagSafe Battery Pack. Not sure if anyone else will be doing so so I'll do a trip report if anyone is interested?

As for other MagSafe chat, the official Silicone Case is really nice for it but so is the Spigen case that's supposed to be for MagSafe. I haven't tried it on the Caudabe cases but I assume it'd work ok. It's pretty tight on the Silicone case though, the Spigen case is about the same.