Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My latest gamepass excursion has been the Wolfenstein series. On New Blood right now, and rather enjoying it. Just playing offline so no actual coop, but it works just fine this way. Surprising variety in the level design. Hadn't heard good things about this one, but it scratches my FPS itch quite well.

which game are you playing because New Blood isn't one of them. I'm not being snarky here, the names are really confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm guessing it's youngblood, that was the one that was designed for coop. Is it actually worth playing solo?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh sorry, yes, Youngblood. And playing it solo is just like every other Wolfenstein game, except there's always your CPU-controlled sister in the game nearby who occasionally needs to be revived, and more frequently revives you and gives you health bumps. The mission structure isn't as linear as previous entries, though it isn't open world per se either. Somewhere in between. But I feel like if you've enjoyed the other games you'd probably like this one. Unless you don't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

Anyone else looking forward to Death's Door tomorrow?

Ooh god this is one of those games that has been in development since the beginning of time. I am looking forward to playing this because it looks really cool.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not a huge Hades style combat fan but the art style and level design looks pretty dece. I might check it out.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

super fart shooter posted:

I'm guessing it's youngblood, that was the one that was designed for coop. Is it actually worth playing solo?

I don't know if it's been fixed, but word on the streets at launch was there are difficulty spikes that will necessitate being revived by your partner, but the AI either can't or won't do it, so you wipe and the encounter resets. And I remember people complaining about the story, but I don't remember if that was because it's dumber than usual or not canon or what.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Death's Door not on Game Pass? I want to know if I should buy this on Steam.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Diddler posted:

I don't know if it's been fixed, but word on the streets at launch was there are difficulty spikes that will necessitate being revived by your partner, but the AI either can't or won't do it, so you wipe and the encounter resets. And I remember people complaining about the story, but I don't remember if that was because it's dumber than usual or not canon or what.

My AI partner revives me just fine. There's also a shared life thing that counts down if you both die, but in my experience, it's rarely come into play. Not sure what difficulty I'm on though, probably normal.

And the story doesn't seem to carry the emotional weight of New Order, but also lacks some of the over-the-top silliness (at least so far). But still, you're fighting nazis and their robot soldiers and dogs in the 1980s. You either accept this premise as a cost of entry or you don't.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I said come in! posted:

Is Death's Door not on Game Pass? I want to know if I should buy this on Steam.

I don't think it is. I pre-ordered it on the Microsoft store.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh sorry, yes, Youngblood. And playing it solo is just like every other Wolfenstein game, except there's always your CPU-controlled sister in the game nearby who occasionally needs to be revived, and more frequently revives you and gives you health bumps. The mission structure isn't as linear as previous entries, though it isn't open world per se either. Somewhere in between. But I feel like if you've enjoyed the other games you'd probably like this one. Unless you don't.

I really liked The New Order but The New Colossus was painful. Even at normal difficulty the enemies were absolute devils.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
So I will be getting a Series X at some point, but probably not before Halo comes out. And my One X is still such a great system. We know Halo is built to run even on the OG One, which is terrifying. But how are you guys expecting the One X version to be? I don't think it'll be too much different than the Series versions and absolutely will be a viable platform to play Infinite on.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really liked The New Order but The New Colossus was painful. Even at normal difficulty the enemies were absolute devils.

New Colossus had rotten level design too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

whichever one has the hubworld/ship is annoying.

in fact all the wolfenstein games have had lovely, annoying controls and poorly implemented stealth.

they are fun to put on super easy and power through but the loose, floaty controls prevent much more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

New Colossus had rotten level design too.

The bombed out ny level is one of the most confusing linear spaces ive ever seen

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My biggest issue with Wolfenstein, and I think it’s the underlying issue that makes everything about combat and movement feel “off”, was that there is no on-screen damage direction indication. You can be getting shot by enemies from off screen and not know it and it really causes a discombobulating effect.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

for a game that is supposed to really shine at shooting the gently caress out of some nazis, the guns all feel mostly like impotent pea shooters.

like nothing feels heavy or hard hitting.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Twat McTwatterson posted:

So I will be getting a Series X at some point, but probably not before Halo comes out. And my One X is still such a great system. We know Halo is built to run even on the OG One, which is terrifying. But how are you guys expecting the One X version to be? I don't think it'll be too much different than the Series versions and absolutely will be a viable platform to play Infinite on.

Probably 1080p/60, but yeah MS don't seem to announce the performance on the One X anymore. Have you looked into trade-in deals for your One X? because they're extremely good at the moment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The worse part of TNC is that its like 40% cutscene and too many losers cried about the awesome final boss of tno that they made it a press RS to win game prompt instead of a fight so that all the cutscenes wont be interrupted

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I get that enemy NPCs in Dishonored 2 will constantly say things to let you know they are in the vicinity.

But I am trying to listen to a plot or lore-relevant audiolog only to have it overshadowed by :byodood: DAMMIT I NEED TO PEE from some dude three floors down and across the road.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

hanyolo posted:

Probably 1080p/60, but yeah MS don't seem to announce the performance on the One X anymore. Have you looked into trade-in deals for your One X? because they're extremely good at the moment.

I'm hoping for a bit higher than 1080p, but if that's the case, then definitely going to marshal my resources to get a Series X beforehand then. I don't think I'll trade in the One X, aren't backwards-compatible One X enhanced games better on it than even on a Series?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'm hoping for a bit higher than 1080p, but if that's the case, then definitely going to marshal my resources to get a Series X beforehand then. I don't think I'll trade in the One X, aren't backwards-compatible One X enhanced games better on it than even on a Series?

No, the Series X can do everything the One X can (except Kinect support). Only the Series S forgoes One X enhancements.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

aren't backwards-compatible One X enhanced games better on it than even on a Series?

Nope, better than a Series S but not the Series X

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, better than a Series S but not the Series X

One thing I’ve noticed with trying to play older back compact games on the Series X is that they run like poo poo for the first couple of minutes after they’re opened. Slow menus, sluggish controls, the works. But for some reason this is only lasts very briefly.

When I fired up Morrowind it behaved like this, but I guess the console caught up or adjusted or something and now it runs like a charm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm not a huge Hades style combat fan but the art style and level design looks pretty dece. I might check it out.

I put 130 hours into the Switch version, the God Mode is a great way to learn and get over the hump if needed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Blue Raider posted:

One thing I’ve noticed with trying to play older back compact games on the Series X is that they run like poo poo for the first couple of minutes after they’re opened. Slow menus, sluggish controls, the works. But for some reason this is only lasts very briefly.

When I fired up Morrowind it behaved like this, but I guess the console caught up or adjusted or something and now it runs like a charm.

I’ve never had that problem, are you running downloads to the SSD in the background?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Raider posted:

Quick resume games sometime do this for me. Just quitting and starting again sorts it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve never had that problem, are you running downloads to the SSD in the background?

No, but I am booting those games off an external drive, which may be the issue. It’s not really a problem anyway. It’s such a brief hiccup that it’s mainly a curiosity.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I had weird audio issues with Banjo Kazooie with the quick resume. Maybe other 360 games are having issues too? Idk.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zurtilik posted:

I had weird audio issues with Banjo Kazooie with the quick resume. Maybe other 360 games are having issues too? Idk.

I've had skipping audio in Sonic Generations which stinks.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I lost like four chapters of progression on Wolf New Order for PC game pass which ended that series playthrough pretty fast.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1417470055193845760

Solid month.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
BLINX BABY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BLINX IN 4K

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the exact dates:

COMING:
Today: Battlefield V (Cloud), Cris Tales (Console/PC/Cloud)
July 22: Atomicrops (Console/PC/Cloud), Raji: An Ancient Epic (Console/PC/Cloud), Last Stop (Console/PC/Cloud)
July 26: Blinx: The Time Sweeper (Console/Cloud), Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (Console/Cloud)
July 27: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Xbox Series)
July 29: Lethal League Blaze (Console/PC/Cloud), Omno (Console/PC/Cloud), Project Wingman (PC), The Ascent (Console/PC/Cloud)

GOING:
July 31: It Lurks Below (Console/PC), The Touryst (Console/PC/Cloud), UnderMine (Console/PC/Cloud)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Project wingman is great

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It’s a good month to fly

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Crimson Skies!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Crimson Skies get the gently caress in. my original disk broke so that's great

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Raji isn't anything groundbreaking gameplay-wise, but the setting is really neat, and the story is okay riiiiiiight up to the very end when it seems like they ran out of money .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish Crimson Skies hadn’t got caught up in IP limbo or whatever happened. The world needs more pulp-influenced arcade fliers.