Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Because how did you get to this point? That you grew up with a worse system and ingrained it into your psyche isn't the argument you think it is. Had you not lived in a metric hellworld you would have had an intrinsic understanding of the unit instead of having to have been conditioned to do so.

showing your power level a bit too much here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Please make a new thread to argue about feet vs. meters vs. cubits vs. lachters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't I already tell you that you measure buildings in stories? Like floor to ceiling. You already do this.
I'm not phone posting.
"I'd like two stories of vinyl siding please"

HootTheOwl posted:

Because how did you get to this point? That you grew up with a worse system and ingrained it into your psyche isn't the argument you think it is. Had you not lived in a metric hellworld you would have had an intrinsic understanding of the unit instead of having to have been conditioned to do so.

Splicer posted:

People who grew up with imperial find inches something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with metric find centimetres something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with significant lead contamination argue that since they find inches easier to visualise inches must be some form of platonic ideal measurement perfectly suited to the human form.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Splicer posted:

"I'd like two stories of vinyl siding please"

Oh, you wanted a precise amount of vinyl siding? You should use a tool then, and not be estimating the value.
E: Anyone who says it's easier to approximate any non-zero amount of a meter instead of the foot at the end of their body is lying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, you wanted a precise amount of vinyl siding? You should use a tool then, and not be estimating the value.

Splicer posted:

Should [the tool] measure in fridgewalks or doorheights?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ok let's accept your premise that they're both equally precise and imperial is better for eyeballing measurements, while metric is better at unit conversions.

Seems like metric has a really meaningful and important advantage when you actually need to do calculations with these measurements, while nobody should give a poo poo if imperial is better at eyeballing cause precision isn't important in that context and if you really wanted to be precise you'd use a proper tool to measure it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

E: Anyone who says it's easier to approximate any non-zero amount of a meter instead of the foot at the end of their body is lying.

i'm gonna cum

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

yes but how many liters

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

How many teaspoons worth

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yes but how many liters

Fuk u

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How many barleyspoons

e: I hate you with the fury of 1,760 suns

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

oh boy hundreds of new posts, must be a lot of png's can't wait!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

yes but how many liters

i'd like to this but in cups tia

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Splicer posted:

How many barleyspoons

e: I hate you with the fury of 1,760 suns

yes but how many liters

tokin opposition posted:

How many teaspoons worth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i'd like to this but in cups tia

this thread is................ good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Which ever one vinyl siding is measured in? If vinyl siding was only sold in cubits would you measure it in meters or cubits?

Elman posted:

Ok let's accept your premise that they're both equally precise and imperial is better for eyeballing measurements, while metric is better at unit conversions.

Seems like metric has a really meaningful and important advantage when you actually need to do calculations with these measurements, while nobody should give a poo poo if imperial is better at eyeballing cause precision isn't important in that context and if you really wanted to be precise you'd use a proper tool to measure it.
You should give a poo poo because it helps to understand the units, and allows you to measure things when you don't have the tools available to you. In your daily life you apprixmate units far more than you accurately measure them.

Then get off already. (I don't care which off you get first)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bobmarleysghost posted:

oh boy hundreds of new posts, must be a lot of png's can't wait!

lmao

it's been fun but yeah that's fair

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HootTheOwl posted:

Which ever one vinyl siding is measured in? If vinyl siding was only sold in cubits would you measure it in meters or cubits?
Wait, you're saying I should carry different measuring tools around depending on what I'm measuring?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As a school project a friend of mine submitted a suggestion to the International Bureau of Weights and Measures that the common unit "a shitload" should be precisely quantified and laid out a detailed method for doing so.

They politely declined but thanked him for his interest.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

blaze it Lenny Boi

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

lmao

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

more like crapitalism

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This was good btw

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
HootTheOwl youre doing a DunningKruger but instead of thinking youre smarter than the rando you cant identify you assume youre better at approximating things than a rando metric user.

Like, ive only ever used metric and im very good at eyeballing things. About 2 months ago my boss and I approximated the material we'd need to buy down to a sack of 25kg left over when we were done just by eyeballing the house.

Like its not an issue. Not an issue what so ever.

We did however need to relate the dimensions of the house(approximated) into how many kilograms of materials we usually use per meter and that was very easy to do in our heads and took us less than a minute.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Jul 19, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
shut the gently caress up and post a picture god drat this has been pages and pages by now SHUT UUUUUP

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

...I can't disagree

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

this is some good performance art

I'm really enjoying it

what are the relatable real-world non-arbitrary units of time (other than a day or a year) that I should start using?

I've said it before, but a meter should be exactly 1/300,000,000th the distance light travels in a vacuum in a second.
If we updated to this meter, I'd bet that we wouldn't even have to update any construction measurements until we got to off-planet distances (maybe some superlong bridges)

A foot can be updated to 1/100,000,000th which will be just wrong enough to piss off everyone

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I've said it before, but a meter should be exactly 1/300,000,000th the distance light travels in a vacuum in a second.
If we updated to this meter, I'd bet that we wouldn't even have to update any construction measurements until we got to off-planet distances (maybe some superlong bridges)

A foot can be updated to 1/100,000,000th which will be just wrong enough to piss off everyone

friend, I like the cut of your jib

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

The metric tonne should not exist.

It’s just a megagram for people who can’t let go of the Imperial system.

But then what would I measure my fucks with?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one second is now defined as 1/20 the time it takes to pee

one minute is therefore 3 pees long

easily relatable

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

5 pages of this (so far) , God drat
So, about tipping...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But then what would I measure my fucks with?

Generally speaking, your gently caress has the same length as the inserted body part or object, so I guess grapefruit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adolf Glitter posted:

5 pages of this (so far) , God drat
So, about tipping...

I tip based on the weight of the receipt

The more I order the bigger the receipt will be

Thankfully you don't have to tip at CVS