Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

It's hosed up how Americans decided Miyazaki is the elder statesman of anime, when Tomino is a better choice in every way.

yeah lol it was just america, he isn't revered in japan at all you loving retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

how the gently caress are they making Fist of the North Star a musical lmao

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia, hidebu

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mandoric posted:

Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia, hidebu

holy lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Mirello posted:

yeah lol it was just america, he isn't revered in japan at all you loving retard.

He's a respected filmmaker in Japan, he's not seen as "the good anime director" like he is in America. I'm not sure why you're so mad about this.

Good soup! posted:

Fist of the North Star is already a super melodramatic story about guys in theatrical costumes facing off against each other. That seems like a pretty easy adaptation. Ken is pretty taciturn in the manga so it would be weird if they gave him a bunch of numbers, but you can have exposition sung by the weird little guy that follows him.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Not sure about his creepiness but I appreciate his vibe that this world is doomed.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There are huge amounts of jokes on the Japanese internet calling Miyazaki a pedo and lots of quotes where he says insane things but the sources on them are kinda unclear. The top of the Japanese Uncyclopedia on Miyazaki just straight up calls him a pedo and lists all his questionable quotes but you know it's just a joke website.

There's a screencap of a supposed interview with Mamoru Oshii where Oshii says that Miyazaki screamed out "what's wrong with having sex with 12 year old girls?!" But I dunno what magazine or issue this screencap is supposed to appear in, and Miyazaki himself isn't named in the screencap, so take it with a grain of salt:

"I don't have any interest in kids in real life. That person [who? Miyazaki? this is unclear] does. Once, I don't know if he was wasted or sober, he shouted 'what's wrong with falling in love with 12 year old girls?' He said it clearly."

tl;dr - there is no clear or hard evidence Miyazaki is a creep (that I can tell) but Japanese people like to make lots of jokes about it

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Jul 19, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

You've finally made a dead man out of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well, on the flipside https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6z2spq/top_anime_and_anime_directors_voted_by_japanese/dms1dnd/

I was trying to find a poll of the japanese population as opposed to critics, but I couldn't. I actually think the other ghibli director who died is better, however its just stupid to pretend that miyazaki isn't widely considered the best anime director. you can personally disagree, but the fact is he is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Howl's Moving Lolita Express was not my favorite

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Spirited away to Little St James

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Prince MonoNonce

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Spirited away to Little St James

Very nice

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

jeffrey's delivery service

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

yeah Miyazaki is a pedo and also likes Nazis. Tomino is much cooler and mobile suit gundam is a better anime than anything Miyazaki ever made, even porco rosso

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Mecha anime are overrated

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ringo Roadagain posted:

yeah Miyazaki is a pedo and also likes Nazis

lol

lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

*in obama voice* then perish

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I think the word overrated sucks but in this case...I'll allow it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

It is not at all hard to figure out why Miyazaki is considered the "good anime director" over Tomino. Come on. Putting mecha aside, you do not need to invest 20 hours into appreciating Miyazaki's greatest works. You should be comparing Miyazaki to other filmmakers like Satoshi Kon or Oshii. In that case it's because Miyazaki comes the closest to capturing "Disney magic."

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
myazaki never made xabungle though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpoIiK8gk8c

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is not at all hard to figure out why Miyazaki is considered the "good anime director" over Tomino.
yeah It’s because his movies were licensed by Disney.

quote:

In that case it's because Miyazaki comes the closest to capturing "Disney magic."
See!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is not at all hard to figure out why Miyazaki is considered the "good anime director" over Tomino. Come on. Putting mecha aside, you do not need to invest 20 hours into appreciating Miyazaki's greatest works. You should be comparing Miyazaki to other filmmakers like Satoshi Kon or Oshii. In that case it's because Miyazaki comes the closest to capturing "Disney magic."

:hai:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Good soup! posted:

PLEASE be Takarazuka Revue

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
who's that dude who did that anime where the high school girls are all fighting over discounted bento boxes?

that's the best anime director of all time imho

edit: vvv extremely good take vvv

Anime Bernie Bro has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Jul 19, 2021

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The butt fighting anime is good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obungle

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

who's that dude who did that anime where the high school girls are all fighting over discounted bento boxes?

I don't remember what that one is but it reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3K7KeCg5w

Not afraid to tackle the hard questions

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hell yeah g gundam

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
playing srw v on my jailbroke vita and it rules how ryoma of getter robot is shinji's big brother and shinji just needed more people to bounce off being a teen pilot

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
shouts to my boy songy and the rest of the #gattai crew

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

playing srw v on my jailbroke vita and it rules how ryoma of getter robot is shinji's big brother and shinji just needed more people to bounce off being a teen pilot

Reminds me I have to jump back into that on my ps4

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

That was Ben-To

Also did you know that Laika that went to space was actually a VAMPIRE?????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqE9QwSYJNw

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I knew it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mirello posted:

well, on the flipside https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6z2spq/top_anime_and_anime_directors_voted_by_japanese/dms1dnd/

I was trying to find a poll of the japanese population as opposed to critics, but I couldn't. I actually think the other ghibli director who died is better, however its just stupid to pretend that miyazaki isn't widely considered the best anime director. you can personally disagree, but the fact is he is.

Takahata is my personal "best anime director" pick. Only Yesterday is my favorite animated film and Tale of Princess Kaguya was a visual masterpiece.

Satoshi Kon dying relatively young was loving tragic though :smith:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Casey Finnigan posted:

ya hayao miyazaki is a mega whiny bitch who's always complaining lol

also a lil creepy

"[This actress] is 13 years old, but I have lots of girlfriends around that age."

lol he's making a joke and the photographer caught the intended reaction (she's rolling her eyes)

maybe it's just biden being president, but i have a hard time seeing it as creepy when his hands aren't even invading her personal space i guess

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Speaking of Tomino, just watched Hathaway's Flash and it was good.

I feel like Tomino is a bit the Alan Moore of japan.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speaking of Tomino, just watched Hathaway's Flash and it was good.
it’s very good, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TenementFunster posted:

it’s very good, op

I actually got the novel when I was trying to learn japanese.

I keep meaning to try again. I got the kana down and then stopped.