Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I got the Moderns shot on Friday, after getting Pfizer the first time.

Saturday was a... special experience. Everything hurt, worse than after getting hit by a car when I was 11. I'm better now, and hopefully the crazy strong immune response is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Servetus posted:

I got the Moderns shot on Friday, after getting Pfizer the first time.

Saturday was a... special experience. Everything hurt, worse than after getting hit by a car when I was 11. I'm better now, and hopefully the crazy strong immune response is a good sign.

Crazy strong immune system kill you

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Madkal posted:

I am feeling rather charitable lately and am wondering what are some good charities to donate to. Nationwide or British Columbia orientated would be good.

CFCC - like a food bank but more "teach a man to fish" than "give a man a fish."

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RuBisCO posted:

I've always wondered about how to get started about this, admittedly not yet taking the steps to find out. Do you have any tips?

Get involved with your local riding association for your choice of party (NDP is a pretty good bet, their grass roots are pretty strong - in theory). Especially if you can bring some friends with you - it's kind of amazing how much influence you can have and how little people tend to be involved at that level. At selection time, join the campaign of the candidate you want selected and volunteer - or run yourself.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Here we fuckin’ go

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-border-measures-reopening-1.6107988

quote:

The federal government announced today it plans to let fully vaccinated tourists visit Canada again soon.

Ottawa now says that — starting Aug. 9 at 12:01 a.m. ET. — fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents living in that country will be able to visit Canada without having to quarantine for two weeks.

The government said it plans to allow fully vaccinated travellers from all other countries to enter Canada on Sept. 7.

So that’ll put the 4th wave at a start date of August 21st… get your summer in now before the borders open!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ChickenDoodle posted:

Here we fuckin’ go

So that’ll put the 4th wave at a start date of August 21st… get your summer in now before the borders open!

4th wave starts when by kids go back to school + 4 weeks.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ChickenDoodle posted:

Here we fuckin’ go

Are you really that worried about fully vaccinated people who have to take a test before they arrive?

I’d be more worried about large groups of unvaccinated kids in schools at the start of September (though I personally don’t think we’ll have a 4th wave)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Frank Dillinger posted:

4th wave starts when by kids go back to school + 4 weeks.

Starks posted:

Are you really that worried about fully vaccinated people who have to take a test before they arrive?

I’d be more worried about large groups of unvaccinated kids in schools at the start of September (though I personally don’t think we’ll have a 4th wave)

You’re absolutely right. While my first comment was mostly in jest this is for real a worry. But hopefully soon they can approve a vaccine for the younger kids.

I’ll be interested to see if/when the US is going to reciprocate in kind, as they were probably waiting for us to decide first. I have some friends whose families need to go down there to retrieve left behind belongings. And of course those in places like Point Roberts will be able to get back to life without being trapped behind the line.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2021

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

You’re absolutely right. While my first comment was mostly in jest this is for real a worry. But hopefully soon they can approve a vaccine for the younger kids.

I'm concerned about this part. I know it's politically inconvenient, but kids get and transmit covid.

CBC posted:

A government official speaking on background to journalists today said that, as of Aug. 9, children under 12 — who aren't yet approved to receive a vaccine — will be exempt from the quarantine requirement after entering Canada and can move around with their parents if they follow public health measures.

The official said those children should avoid group settings such as school, camps and daycares — especially indoor ones.

"If the follow public health measures" is pretty BS when a bunch of provinces basically have none now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They're still getting tested as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure how much further we could reasonably go without, in essence, saying "hey, things are going to remain massively disrupted until we reach the point of perfect safety for everyone," and I don't know that's a good way to go.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure how much further we could reasonably go without, in essence, saying "hey, things are going to remain massively disrupted until we reach the point of perfect safety for everyone," and I don't know that's a good way to go.

It's a thing that a lot of people evidently want, though.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/DGBassani/status/1417189560887427076

Yup. e: Honestly the way those curves are going, this plan might get scuttled by the time it's supposed to happen.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

PCR tests aren't amazing for asymptomatic people in general but there are concerns about their accuracy with asymptomatic kids specifically. It seems daft to me to do this now when approval for kids is around the corner.

I guess maybe our governments don't care about kids getting or transmitting covid given that it seems many aren't planning anything for the return to school. BC certainly dgaf.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The kids thing still bugs me. We either have a significant portion of unvaccinated adults getting sick when their kids circulate covid at school and bring it home, or enough people are vaxxed that it just hoes through the kids themselves and we've got a new plague super good at killing children.

I know that the tests for vaccinating under 12s is coming along but it is going slowly and certainly won't be ready for September. And we'll still have the same procurement song and dance again because the factories will still be pumping out adult shots for when we decide that poorer countries are now permitted to get vaccines.

It will be the opposition's main talking point for the fall session so they can run a "Justin Trudeau is killing kids" narrative while fuckfaces like Ford, Pallister and Horgan downplay their complete lack of effort to address shortcomings in the last bout of in-class covid learning.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know that the tests for vaccinating under 12s is coming along but it is going slowly and certainly won't be ready for September. And we'll still have the same procurement song and dance again because the factories will still be pumping out adult shots for when we decide that poorer countries are now permitted to get vaccines.

As far as I know:

1) Vaccine testing data for the 6-12 year olds is still expected in mid-September, for both Pfizer and Moderna.

2) The factories already manufacture vials with multiple doses for adults. Iirc correctly the Adult dosage is ~.3ml and the children's dose is going to be 0.05-0.1ml depending on the test results. Ergo, they'll be using the same vaccine out of the same vials and we shouldn't have procurement issues.

3) The vaccine for 12-18 year olds was approved on May 5th and they started administering to that cohort on May 23rd.

e: If anyone has reputable conflicting information please share. I'm certainly not an authority on vaccine development.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 19, 2021

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
My 19-year-old daughter and I got moderna last Thursday (both Pfizer the first time around) and today she’s in the hospital for what they think is vaccine-induced myocarditis.

Y’all should still get your shots if you haven’t, and she agrees.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PT6A posted:

It would be a great way, to go IF we were willing to actually commit to something other than tepid half-measures so that we could actually reach "perfect safety for everyone". But the boat on that has sailed a long time ago, and even eminently reasonable public-minded people have lost all trust in any level of government's ability to make decisions or, honestly, any kind of progress at all.

Fully vaccinated people who have recently taken a test is literally as safe as it's ever going to get.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheCenturion posted:

My 19-year-old daughter and I got moderna last Thursday (both Pfizer the first time around) and today she’s in the hospital for what they think is vaccine-induced myocarditis.

Ooof. Sorry, that's awful. I hope she pulls through okay.

I had that same cocktail last week and essentially no side effects at all

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Muscle Tracer posted:

It would be a great way, to go IF we were willing to actually commit to something other than tepid half-measures so that we could actually reach "perfect safety for everyone". But the boat on that has sailed a long time ago, and even eminently reasonable public-minded people have lost all trust in any level of government's ability to make decisions or, honestly, any kind of progress at all.

Fully vaccinated people who have recently taken a test is literally as safe as it's ever going to get.

Yes, I agree. If we were willing to actually commit to getting this poo poo solved, or had indeed shown any willingness to do so over the past year, perhaps it would be worth holding out longer. We aren't willing, so why worry about the border at this point? We have community spread and no one's doing anything and schools are going to be open with minimal precautions, why then would we decide the border is the sole place in which we should exercise caution?

TheCenturion posted:

I'm sorry to hear that, hope everything improves soon!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

RuBisCO posted:

I've always wondered about how to get started about this, admittedly not yet taking the steps to find out. Do you have any tips?

It largely depends on the party (because different parties have different cultures and different levels of government have different structures, etc) but the best way to get involved is to sign up as a member during the nomination process for whatever office or seat is being contested.

So for instance with a left wing municipal party, you would get involved while they are nominating candidates for city council, so you can throw your vote and volunteer time to the slate you want to see up for election, and then coincidentally you're learning more about the party itself, who is pushing what agenda among party staff, etc. Maybe you get to know party staff and decide they're cool and volunteer for them too, etc etc.

The same thing works for MLAs and MPs, you just find out what riding you're in, and then keep an eye on the NDP/Green/Marxist/whatever party's nomination contest for that riding. It's the best way to get your foot in the door and it lets you learn who is worth supporting rather than coming late to the party and being faced with some turd sandwich of a "left wing" candidate cough cough Melanie Mark

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Honestly it depends how strictly they are gonna police the 'must be vaccinated' part. Does the US even have a vaccine card or something similar?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone have a cbc article handy to tell me how I should feel about the wildfire smoke haze over Ottawa today?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone have a cbc article handy to tell me how I should feel about the wildfire smoke haze over Ottawa today?

Toronto, too

There's been visible haze all day and it looked like sunset around 4pm

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Alctel posted:

Honestly it depends how strictly they are gonna police the 'must be vaccinated' part. Does the US even have a vaccine card or something similar?

Yes, there is a CDC card that everyone gets in the states when getting vaccinated.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Arcsquad12 posted:

The air quality in Edmonton was, this weekend, literally the worst on the planet. It's moved on to you now, and you should feel bad especially if you're asthmatic.

Well, I did find one place in rural Japan with a weird spike of 800 on the pm 2.5 scale, but everywhere else in Japan was under 50 so I think someone kicked the monitoring station into a campfire or something.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Apple introduced AQI for Canada into their weather app with their latest iOS update. :tinfoil:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Danes already have a national ID number and your vaccination status is registered to it. You get a printable certificate with a QR code on it, there's phone apps to show or scan the QR code.

If Ontario had decided to do so, just use health card number and set up a database with like a dozen fields or so. Too late now, I guess. vaccines.gov.on.ca or something

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
With an election next year, Ford probably realizes that a significant chunk of his base would stay home if he did that.

lol
https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/1417243417969635335?s=20

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 20, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It means everything is fine, more smoke means more safety from the sun's punishing rays

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

With an election next year, Ford probably realizes that a significant chunk of his base would stay home if he did that.

lol
https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/1417243417969635335?s=20

Big Changus strikes again

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Furnaceface posted:

Its not exactly hesitancy to get the shot, its hesitancy to get a specific shot. Ontario at least did really well for first shot compliance but second shot seems to be lagging. I cannot stress enough how much of my day is spent answering the phone for people shopping around looking specifically for Pfizer only. Our fully vaccinated population could hit a wall at the current pace and that just makes me angry. Doubly so when I see how eager young people are to get whatever is available despite constantly shouldering the blame by politicians and the media for the slowing vaccination rates and spread of the virus.

I'm so confused as to how this happened. There seems to be a fairly widespread view that Moderna is somehow inferior to Pfizer and it's like it just bubbled up out of nowhere. They're pretty much identical in terms of technology, efficacy, and side effects so what the hell happened? Hell, Moderna could be considered better from a logistics view because it doesn't require as cold temperatures for storage.

Are you allowed to ask why they're looking specifically for Pfizer, and if so what do they usually say?
I wonder if anyone's done a survey to dig into what's driving this.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think it's because Pfizer was getting all the news coverage early on since that's the vaccine we were getting more of. I just remember hearing about Pfizer and Moderna barely being mentioned.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Supposedly Pfizer has been doing really extensive PR/marketing as well

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Brand name recognition is a real thing, people want the dick pill company.

Plus the anecdotal reports that Pfizer side effects are less than Moderna

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Vaccine shopping is happening because we’ve already had indications that mixing vaccines may not be a recognized vaccination method in many parts of the world.

This is a strategy that Canada has adopted and may leave a lot of people very angry when they find out they can’t enter into many countries.

This has already begun to happen.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Brand name recognition is a real thing, people want the dick pill company.

Plus the anecdotal reports that Pfizer side effects are less than Moderna

Based on convos I've had with people that are delaying their second shot, it's more about not mixing than getting any one brand. For a while we were swimming in Pfizer and had barely any Moderna and now it's the other way around. I don't even know anyone who got Moderna for their first shot.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Starks posted:

Based on convos I've had with people that are delaying their second shot, it's more about not mixing than getting any one brand. For a while we were swimming in Pfizer and had barely any Moderna and now it's the other way around. I don't even know anyone who got Moderna for their first shot.

Which is funny cause out here in BC I’m the odd one out for getting Pfizer both times while my entire family got Moderna twice. And each time they asked us which one we got and we’re able to match up so we didn’t have any mixing.

Thinking about it, I don’t think I personally know anyone here who had to mix unless they got AZ…

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Starks posted:

I'm hoping that once essentially everyone in the country who wants it is double vaxxed they allow for triple vaxxing just to fix this issue. I don't leave the country that often but I'm pretty sure having an AZ/P mix is going to keep me from going p much anywhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChickenDoodle posted:

Which is funny cause out here in BC I’m the odd one out for getting Pfizer both times while my entire family got Moderna twice. And each time they asked us which one we got and we’re able to match up so we didn’t have any mixing.

Thinking about it, I don’t think I personally know anyone here who had to mix unless they got AZ…

Yeah, in Alberta, all of my family got double-Pfizer, and our friends tended to get double-Moderna.

I think it's something of a large issue as long as other places aren't accepting vaccine mixing, because it creates a situation where, based entirely on luck, people who have the same protection are either allowed or forbidden from doing things in other countries. I think allowing mixing was probably the best choice, but now it's the Canadian government's responsibility to engage in some diplomacy and make sure that other countries accept our approved dosing, in my opinion. Canadians did the right thing by taking the first available vaccine, now the government needs to stick up for those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Other countries are doing vaccine mixing, following Canada's lead. Thailand, France, Germany.... a quick Google and it looks like India and ASEAN are considering making it their official policy soon too.

Don't stress about not being able to travel, this isn't just Canada's problem and will get ironed out probably sooner than later.