Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Everyone loved the politicking.

A few of the battles were cool but I think the 2 best ones (Blackwater and The Watchers on the Wall) were directed by a guy who actually knew what he was doing. He also directed The Descent.

It skipped the battle with Tyrion being on "The Left" and being a badass but in context it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Benjen refusing to get on the horse with Jon is up there with Forrest Whitaker's character in Rogue One going "Ah, you know what, I'll just die here rather than escaping with you byeeeeeeeeee" for pointless self-sacrificing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's no way they'd have gotten a politics-heavy ending right without a book to fall back on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The “lore” says not-China has a massive series of fortifications in their northern border to defend against some legendary poo poo in their history that is pretty explicitly implied to be the same Long Night that happened to Westeros. So the Others/White Walkers are apparently a world wide threat.

In the lore not-China (Yi Ti) is basically one of the vestigial remnant states of the mythical Great Empire of the Dawn. The GEOTD fell when the Bloodstone Emperor murdered his elder sister, the Amethyst Empress, and seized his throne. It was called the Blood Betrayal and according to their legends, directly started the Long Night. Which only ended when the hero Azor Ahai murdered sacrificed his wife Nissa Nissa to forge Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

It's actually one of my foundational theories in the books that these two stories of "man kills woman" are actually about the exact same event, that the Bloodstone Emperor was Azor Ahai and he was the consort to his sister-wife the Amethyst Empress. That he killed his sister and wife in an attempt to prevent the Long Night, and yet in doing so, brought it forth, and he spent the rest of his days fighting against the terror he'd unleashed to repent for his crimes. Over time, people forgot that the great hero Azor Ahai who led the living against the Dead was also the Bloodstone Emperor who had caused the calamity in the first place.

Being that in the books I fully believe Jon and Dany are brother and sister, I think the endgame is that they're going to unintentionally, and unknowingly, reenact the full event. Brother killing sister. Lover killing lover.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

In the lore not-China (Yi Ti) is basically one of the vestigial remnant states of the mythical Great Empire of the Dawn. The GEOTD fell when the Bloodstone Emperor murdered his elder sister, the Amethyst Empress, and seized his throne. It was called the Blood Betrayal and according to their legends, directly started the Long Night. Which only ended when the hero Azor Ahai murdered sacrificed his wife Nissa Nissa to forge Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

It's actually one of my foundational theories in the books that these two stories of "man kills woman" are actually about the exact same event, that the Bloodstone Emperor was Azor Ahai and he was the consort to his sister-wife the Amethyst Empress. That he killed his sister and wife in an attempt to prevent the Long Night, and yet in doing so, brought it forth, and he spent the rest of his days fighting against the terror he'd unleashed to repent for his crimes. Over time, people forgot that the great hero Azor Ahai who led the living against the Dead was also the Bloodstone Emperor who had caused the calamity in the first place.

Being that in the books I fully believe Jon and Dany are brother and sister, I think the endgame is that they're going to unintentionally, and unknowingly, reenact the full event. Brother killing sister. Lover killing lover.

Ah I missed your crackpot theorycrafting Sky :)

<3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's no way they'd have gotten a politics-heavy ending right without a book to fall back on.

I'd probably have to watch the show again but I can't recall any time an action had any "logical" political consequences once they sorta ran out of book (they didn't really run out of book after 4 they just ignored a lot of them). And things from the good seasons that should've had political consequences just had some person going ham in a single scene like Arya with the Freys. poo poo even Ramsay isn't brought down by a great deal of Northern unrest there's a battle that requires outside interference to go the way of the good guys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Where does these lore details come from?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lezard_valeth posted:

I don't get who their target audience for this is. Book readers are pissed at the show tarnishing and most likely being the only ending this franchise will get. The show never ever mentioned Yi Ti so Show only people very likely won't give a gently caress.

You can't just have a random series just because "It happens on the universe of Game of Thrones", specially where the "fans" goodwill with the franchise is currently standing. AND specially since the show didn't give a crap about worldbuilding in fear of scaring away soccer moms.

Lmao, what? They're not expecting show watchers to go "oh man I know all these characters this is great" they're expecting show watchers to go "oh, another fantasy series? I guess that could be fun"

You're overthinking this, and just declaring it so doesn't make it true. "fans goodwill" only amounts to people ITT. Most people who watched GOT in bars have moved the gently caress on, and aren't sitting around shitposting like we are.

Orange Devil posted:

The hilarious thing is that apparently football players and loads of other people loving loved GoT when it was about politicking and intrigue. D&D just had such utter disdain for their audience and probably people in general, but what can we expect from a bunch of silver spooned failsons?

Exactly. The show was popular as it was, so they changed it to have none of what people liked about it, because they don't understand storytelling or their audience for poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Eh, all they had to do was go with the writers who had written the show up to the final seasons and it would have been perfectly competent at least.

Even the ACTORS knew the script was trash. If not for D&D playing at being writers it would have been perfectly reasonable, if not amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of people still liked the show when it stopped doing political storytelling including critics as the show had generally good reviews even during the bad seasons. I think season 5 reviewed better than 1 if you go by metacritic averages. And even though awards don't really matter all the bad seasons won the Emmy over Better Call Saul which is the best show on TV (though I guess that matters even less since even the general audience hated the last season).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where does these lore details come from?

The World of Ice and Fire, mostly. But my belief AA = BSE and NN = AE is just a theory. Because tell me two stories of a man killing a woman, both explicitly related to the first Long Night, and I'm going to wonder if they're the same story.

Them being both brother and sister and husband and wife? This is ASOIAF. It's probably expected.

That said if the parallels are more perfect, it would mean Dany might be older than Jon which in Valyrian would make him her Valonqar.

Did the show cut the valonqar prophecy because they cut the sibling relationship?

What if Cersei- who is very strongly foreshadowed and linked to wildfire- frames Dany and gives Jon the push to kill her? And when he discovers the truth, he blacks out in rage- a trait book Jon has- and strangles her to death?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd probably have to watch the show again but I can't recall any time an action had any "logical" political consequences once they sorta ran out of book (they didn't really run out of book after 4 they just ignored a lot of them). And things from the good seasons that should've had political consequences just had some person going ham in a single scene like Arya with the Freys. poo poo even Ramsay isn't brought down by a great deal of Northern unrest there's a battle that requires outside interference to go the way of the good guys.

Nope! Ellaria murders Doran and just ... like ... is in charge of Dorne now. Euron admits in front of everyone he killed Balon and everyone is like "Oh, OK then you can be the king of Iron Islands then". Ramsey's telling everyone he killed his dad; this was an unforgivable crime right? Guess not

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Nope! Ellaria murders Doran and just ... like ... is in charge of Dorne now. Euron admits in front of everyone he killed Balon and everyone is like "Oh, OK then you can be the king of Iron Islands then". Ramsey's telling everyone he killed his dad; this was an unforgivable crime right? Guess not

Only kingslaying is unforgivable kinslaying is apparently fine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

An insane mind posted:

Only kingslaying is unforgivable kinslaying is apparently fine.

Except all of Danys people were just cool with Jon living.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Breaking guest right is also totally cool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's sort of like what happened in the real world over the last decade. The people in power just decided the long standing unwritten rules and :decorum: no longer mattered and there wasn't much anyone could do about it.

e: I was joking :negative:

stev fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 18, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

stev posted:

It's sort of like what happened in the real world over the last decade. The people in power just decided the long standing unwritten rules and :decorum: no longer mattered and there wasn't much anyone could do about it.

These were very much not unwritten rules and if the show followed its own internal logic there would have been severe consequences. If the books ever come out (they won’t) it will go much differently. Despite his own bragging about how his world is grounded in Medieval history it has basically nothing in common with how feudalism worked BUT he at least understands enough to follow most of his own story logic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stev posted:

But in the story they were adapting breaking the rules did matter. Freys were getting picked off and there was a Northern conspiracy against them and the Boltons. The Lannisters even expected the Red Wedding to have a backlash but figured it'd fall mostly on the Freys.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
One of my favorite scenes in the first season was the one with Littlefinger and Varys having a private moment with two side characters recognizing each other's ambition. It's stuff like that that kills any rewatch for me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

But in the story they were adapting breaking the rules did matter. Freys were getting picked off and there was a Northern conspiracy against them and the Boltons. The Lannisters even expected the Red Wedding to have a backlash but figured it'd fall mostly on the Freys.

Also some God or Gods are real in the GRRMverse and they have power. The show just kind of forgot about that.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

SunshineDanceParty posted:

One of my favorite scenes in the first season was the one with Littlefinger and Varys having a private moment with two side characters recognizing each other's ambition. It's stuff like that that kills any rewatch for me.

And then Varys just wrote letters to tell everyone who Jon was and didn't even have an exit strategy when Dany found out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

An insane mind posted:

And then Varys just wrote letters to tell everyone who Jon was and didn't even have an exit strategy when Dany found out.

At least Littlefinger tried to make a break for it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

At least Littlefinger tried to make a break for it.

Probably shouldn't have admitted to killing Lysa Arryn before that though

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They had no idea what to do with Littlefinger after he killed Lysa. He basically single-handedly wins them Winterfell back and then he fails to manipulate 2 teenagers and gets executed for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

They had no idea what to do with Littlefinger after he killed Lysa. He basically single-handedly wins them Winterfell back and then he fails to manipulate 2 teenagers and gets executed for it.

I was always partial to the theory that Littlefinger was such an acute nihilist that not only did he know that the Others were real, but he was actively trying to weaken Westeros as much as possible in preparation for their inevitable invasion once the Wall came down by creating sheer chaos for all sides and that he was, if not an outright agent for them, at the very least an incredibly useful idiot for them... and nothing ever came of it :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Like most things wrong with the latter two seasons, when you just describe it to people like this it sounds loving awesome.

I would loving love watching the Starks outsmart him. But we didn't see that poo poo, because it was more important to have a shocking reveal.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

An insane mind posted:

Varys, one of the most "realpolitik" characters in the show, is shocked when the conqueror he invites to Westeros ends up killing more people than is perhaps necessary

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Varys, one of the most "realpolitik" characters in the show, is shocked when the conqueror he invites to Westeros ends up killing more people than is perhaps necessary

Worse, he was shocked that she was going to invade the city at all because this would kill "tens of thousands" of people. Tens of thousands in a city with a population of half a million. That's like 2% casualties.

This is the stated reason why he betrays her. What the hell did he think was going to happen in an invasion of Westeros?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

Considering how much the dude was supposed to know what’s what about everything, he seemed fairly undisturbed that he was sharing winterfell with a supernatural child assassin that wanted him dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A talking coyote posted:

Considering how much the dude was supposed to know what’s what about everything, he seemed fairly undisturbed that he was sharing winterfell with a supernatural child assassin that wanted him dead.

Also him seemingly not knowing Ramsay Bolton was a psychopathic torturer with a long and well known history of abusing women before firing Sansa off to his waiting arms was really boneheaded too. Especially because she was his one shot at securing political power over the North, literally half of the continent, and he basically ceded it to Ramsay without even thinking. And the only explanation he had for it when Sansa straight up called him out on it was "Well, I'd never do it again!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A talking coyote posted:

This didn't bother me at all, 'cause Littlefinger had a lot of people who wanted to kill him in King's Landing at the start of the show.

His arc was basically never declaring loyalty to anyone until they could safely benefit him more than whoever he'd betray by joining them and eventually people figure out what you're really about as you get cockier and cockier at your repeated successes. I've seen it happen and it's glorious.

The problem was in the execution.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

This didn't bother me at all, 'cause Littlefinger had a lot of people who wanted to kill him in King's Landing at the start of the show.

His arc was basically never declaring loyalty to anyone until they could safely benefit him more than whoever he'd betray by joining them and eventually people figure out what you're really about as you get cockier and cockier at your repeated successes. I've seen it happen and it's glorious.

The problem was in the execution.

That’s true, I guess when half the nobles want to kill you at one point or another, you wouldn’t care too much if a face stealing teenager had you in their crosshairs.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It was absolutely Sansa that should have done him in, but it should have been some political masterstroke kinda poo poo and not some lazy tying up loose ends poo poo. Way too often the show just killed people off for cheap shock value when they didn't have further plans for them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also him seemingly not knowing Ramsay Bolton was a psychopathic torturer with a long and well known history of abusing women before firing Sansa off to his waiting arms was really boneheaded too. Especially because she was his one shot at securing political power over the North, literally half of the continent, and he basically ceded it to Ramsay without even thinking. And the only explanation he had for it when Sansa straight up called him out on it was "Well, I'd never do it again!"

Yeah that was one of the first signs the story was in real trouble. Sansa's arc goes well between naively wanting Joffrey, suffering, getting with Tyrion and turning on Joffrey, escaping, learning from Littlefinger, and then....

She becomes a victim again, but worse. Why?

In the books its not Sansa, but some other girl who is passed off as a fake Sansa. This makes about a billion times more sense, but... was too complicated for tv or something?

Its like they wanted to give Sansa more to do, but also couldn't help themselves but push for more controversial scenes for shock value.

Then they make Arya and Sansa both superpowered and stupid in the later seasons to try to make up for their total lack of agency.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The real lesson is not to let someone like Littlefinger talk. Just immediately stab him right in the face the second nobody else is looking.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One detail from the books is Littlefinger is seen as beneath a lot of characters because he’s only a minor lord and therefore not as worthy of attention as other characters, which lets him get away with a lot. Only Sansa and Tyrion really see him for who he is, and Tyrion only really catches on after he takes over the job and finds out he’s been loving with the finances behind the scenes.

On the show they just let him show up and give speeches to everyone, including telling Cersei to her face with a bunch of armed guards he knows about the incest thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't remember book Littlefinger being nearly as dumb as show Littlefinger.

I was thinking about the end of GoT today and honestly, lol at the treatment of the whole Dorne crew. As in the actors.

Cast two beloved actors, three eighteen year olds, and one guy I don't know but who looked super cool.

Give them all no or poo poo writing. Make sure the poo poo ones also have horrible gimmicks.

Immediately write two out and give the other four some of the most gruesome on-screen deaths of the series.

Bonus:
1. One of the teenagers must get topless for a scene that isn't even worthy of being called "sexposition"
2. There are literally like four other PoCs with notable roles in the whole show. Drogo, Grey Worm, Missandei, Oberyn... Salladoor?? Xoro Xoan Ducksauce?

fuckin lol imagine being Areo, getting to go to costuming and see how fuckin badass your character is going to be, and how you get to chill with Alexander Siddig. Then reading the script.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Book Littlefinger is cunning but does like to gloat during/after his victory, show Littlefinger ended up smarmy and more interested in one-liner quips than planning.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't remember book Littlefinger being nearly as dumb as show Littlefinger.

Littlefinger, Varys, and Tyrion are smart at the beginning of the show.

weirdly enough around season 5 they start getting real fuckin dumb, I wonder what could have caused that???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s put the women and the kids in the crypts.gif