Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
One of the more interesting things about old diadem is it was accessible in two ways, from the public dock and your FC's airship (Big Retainers) if you had them. I lead a few group as it was going away to get some people the content rewards. I understand they wanted to back off from things that Required Housing, but it was neat to put groups together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh poo poo I forgot about airship trips into the diadem. I might still have fuel for that on my retainers, need to dump that.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Fister Roboto posted:

The second iteration had slightly more mechanics, including FATEs that were kind of like Bozja skirmishes. There was also a superboss FATE that could drop weapons that were potentially better than Alex Savage weapons.

Where are these weapons available now? I'm always interested in where they wind up shoving depreciated content because it is never removed.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If it's aetherial gear then it should be fully deprecated. Even 2.0 leveling dungeons don't drop pinks anymore.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Algid posted:

Even 2.0 leveling dungeons don't drop pinks anymore.

yeah they do

these were from halatali

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

yeah, you can still get aetherial gear from 2.0 dungeons and combat leves.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if i buy the game while the return campaign is going on, my free month will still tick down, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cams posted:

if i buy the game while the return campaign is going on, my free month will still tick down, right?
yeah, the return thing is only for people who have bought the game and then been unsubbed for a certain amount of time. if you buy time during it as a returning player it also ticks down iirc.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

yeah, the return thing is only for people who have bought the game and then been unsubbed for a certain amount of time. if you buy time during it as a returning player it also ticks down iirc.
makes sense. i was planning on waiting for the next sale on the complete edition to buy in, but their strategy of having the servers so flooded that free trial players straight up cannot even queue up to join is effective at making me want to buy it now.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

cams posted:

makes sense. i was planning on waiting for the next sale on the complete edition to buy in, but their strategy of having the servers so flooded that free trial players straight up cannot even queue up to join is effective at making me want to buy it now.

I don't want to sound pessimistic here, but you just missed the sale on this from a couple weeks ago, and it's unlikely to come back until next year (after the new expansion has launched). They typically do it every 6ish months. https://isthereanydeal.com/game/finalfantasyxivonlinecompleteedition/history/.

That said, if you do wait till next year it'll probably be updated to include the new expansion in the pack as well at some point (vs needing to pay another $40 for it).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Is there a way to make player and npc/mob names hidden/smaller/darker? The UI just feels SO BUSY already, and I think just this would help me a ton.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doom Rooster posted:

Is there a way to make player and npc/mob names hidden/smaller/darker? The UI just feels SO BUSY already, and I think just this would help me a ton.

For player names, you can switch them to initials, but that's it I believe.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You can turn them off, shorten them (First initial, last initial, both initialled and titles can be toggled on or off) or have them on only in combat. It's under Character Settings > Nameplates. (I think. It's definitely in the Character Settings, under the button of a character with a rectangle above their head.)

Edit: You can change the color too, by clicking on the colored dot next to each section.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 19, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

There's a section of Character Configuration called Display Name Settings where you've got multiple tabs for exactly that. I set a bunch of those things to only show when targeted: in addition to taking up less screen real estate, I don't have to worry about getting distracted walking somewhere and seeing someone named Dedeez Denuts or some such (haven't actually seen this one, but you'd believe it if I had).

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet! Thanks for the replies. Will mess around with those when I get home. Also the general UI layout. I checked that out already and holy poo poo. Looks super customizable, but I didn’t have half an hour to dig in at the time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsMoenski/status/1417091306225115136

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thinking of trying this out with some friends but it looks like the free Trial version has some heavy restrictions on social aspects of the game (which seems weird to me since social stuff was the reason I played WoW for so long).

Is that still the best way to do things and just deal with the lack of whispers and such (we talk in Discord all day so can use that for communication, the lack of partying would be a bummer though), or would the Starter Edition make more sense?

If going with the Starter Edition, since it includes Realm Reborn and Heavensward, does that screw me for trying to upgrade to the latest xpac if we decide to stick with things?

(This thread is an A++ beginner thread btw, some extremely good information posted by everyone and an excellent OP)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pleads posted:

Is that still the best way to do things and just deal with the lack of whispers and such (we talk in Discord all day so can use that for communication, the lack of partying would be a bummer though), or would the Starter Edition make more sense?

I think it's worth it to at least invest a few hours in the Trial before making a decision. The biggest annoyance is the lack of an ability to form your own party, but most major cities will have people hanging out by the big Aetheryte who will help you to form a party if you ask in /say.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh that makes sense, I never even considered there'd be loophole like that. Thanks!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

the social restrictions are in place to curb rmt advertisement. they really don't help, but that's why they exist. considering some of the other f2p restrictions i've seen in mmos it's an extremely lenient set of restrictions for the quality of content you receive.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

I find it so weird you can do this for players but not enemy NPCs. Sometimes I'd love to have enemy names off in the open world and be able to turn them back on in dungeons without having to go through menus.

Another tip if the UI feels too cluttered: there are text commands to show/hide nearly every UI element, and you can put them into macros and on your hotbar. I have one that toggles my duty list, experience bar, gil, server info, etc. so that I can play with them hidden most of the time and just pop them in for a second when I need to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the general philosophy of restrictions on the trial account is, would this be extremely annoying if 10000 bots were doing it? If so it's banned for trial accounts. And before you ask, yes, bots were spamming party invites on people back in the day. Why, I couldn't tell you. Maybe they'd give an rmt spiel if you accepted

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Pleads posted:

Thinking of trying this out with some friends but it looks like the free Trial version has some heavy restrictions on social aspects of the game (which seems weird to me since social stuff was the reason I played WoW for so long).

If going with the Starter Edition, since it includes Realm Reborn and Heavensward, does that screw me for trying to upgrade to the latest xpac if we decide to stick with things?

(This thread is an A++ beginner thread btw, some extremely good information posted by everyone and an excellent OP)

Something else that works that me and my friend were using: you cannot create a linkshell (private chat channel) but you can join one. If all of you are on the free trial just bug someone in here to make one for you all, that'll let you have a chat in-game to use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The map is the worst part of this game. Limsa's map is loving terrible, I swear it has told me things were on "lower" levels only to actually be on upper levels + the way to figure out levels of hubs is not intuitive. I wish there was just an arrow to tell me which exits or area borders to go to in some hubs instead of just putting a marker on it and not initially telling you if it's 1 or 2 levels above/below. I realize this is greatly mitigated when you get all the Aether hub warp points but initially navigating through Limsa was a frustrating chore.

Anyway I finished my first dungeon raid in the lvl 15 cave and enjoyed it; only our tank and healer died once apiece. As the DPS Rogue I never was in major danger. I'm looking forward to the finger puzzle future of being a Ninja. Originally I was a Thaumatergist at level 18 or so but at Limsa I wanted to go stabby pirate and haven't looked back.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

The map is the worst part of this game. Limsa's map is loving terrible, I swear it has told me things were on "lower" levels only to actually be on upper levels + the way to figure out levels of hubs is not intuitive. I wish there was just an arrow to tell me which exits or area borders to go to in some hubs instead of just putting a marker on it and not initially telling you if it's 1 or 2 levels above/below. I realize this is greatly mitigated when you get all the Aether hub warp points but initially navigating through Limsa was a frustrating chore.

Limsa Upper Decks and Limsa Lower Decks are distinctly different zones. If the marker is on your map, it's in your zone. The name of connecting zones will get a highlight with the quest icon if that zone has a quest destination.

Limsa can get confusing because Lower Decks especially has a lot of verticality, but at least it's all on one map, unlike Ul'Dah where one of its two zones is two different map levels.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

I'm level 10 on trial, and I haven't dipped into crafting guilds at all yet. Do I need more money than I'm picking up from quests? I have about 3k gil total and haven't really found anything to spend it on. In general I'm more interested in leveling up my combat class right now unless I'm going to need the extra money.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bragon posted:

I'm level 10 on trial, and I haven't dipped into crafting guilds at all yet. Do I need more money than I'm picking up from quests? I have about 3k gil total and haven't really found anything to spend it on. In general I'm more interested in leveling up my combat class right now unless I'm going to need the extra money.

You are 100% gonna pick up more gil than you can carry on a trial account, and there's worse ways to spend excess gil than using it to buy mats for crafting.

e: You're gonna have to google around to see where the vendors are that sell the mats you want, but there are 100% NPC vendors that sell basically every major ARR/HW crafting material that doesn't come from a rare gathering node.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

don't feel pressured into picking up gathering/crafting. you'll get plenty of gil just from doing the MSQ to cover your teleport and repair bills!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bragon posted:

level gatherers up, the early levels go very fast and at low levels you won't really make tons of gil but the time it takes to mine your own ore/harvest your own cotton/etc especially when you get to the HQ levels of crafting quests is usually worth the money and maybe you can make a little gil selling your extras after. Save all the skins that drop for Leatherworking, it's the one crafting job that you can't harvest the main resource through DoL stuff. Gil helps, obviously, it's way easier to just plink down a bunch of cash and buy the HQ item your guild wants you to make and all that jazz, but the gil cost can almost always be replaced with a time cost fairly easily.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DLC Inc posted:

Anyway I finished my first dungeon raid in the lvl 15 cave and enjoyed it; only our tank and healer died once apiece. As the DPS Rogue I never was in major danger. I'm looking forward to the finger puzzle future of being a Ninja. Originally I was a Thaumatergist at level 18 or so but at Limsa I wanted to go stabby pirate and haven't looked back.

Yeah the map in Limsa can be a real pain. The upper and lower decks are separate areas, but generally they DO have like a little ^ or V over icons if they're above or below you. The only other areas that have verticality like that are a) not dense towns and b) allow you to fly around on a mount, so it's a lot easier to manage.

Ninja isn't too bad, really, once you get the mudras down in your muscle memory. The thing to remember, when you get there, is that what matters is the one you end on, and you can't repeat them.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Well I decided to just do the intro mining quest, flash forward to now and I leveled it past my thaumaturge class. I wasn't expecting it to be fun, and the stealth ability seems like it's going to be extremely useful.

Will I ever get the ability to see gathering nodes on my combat class though? I've got my equipment sets hotbarred for easy switching, but running around as miner has already led to me turning in a few quests in the wrong job.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's no need to see standard gathering nodes when you're not set to a gatherer class. The basic nodes are infinite, with one popping up as soon as you deplete one. If you're mining, you'll know where to go, and if you're not mining, you won't care.

Note that you can now click on the resource in the gathering log and get an exact location for the area the nodes are found in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea FF's gathering is easily in the top level of making the process smooth and quick to do, between stealth being at a low level (and then later just being auto-stealth you never have to even think about) and a gathering log that points to everything (especially good now that they straight up show you where in the area the nodes are, they just used to tell you the sub-zone they were in). Hell for crafting now you can even rightclick a project and hit 'show raw materials' and get a shopping list.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Free trials hit gil cap easily.

You can't use the Market Board but you can buy gear from vendors.

When you unlock your Grand Company you get a daily provisioning mission per Crafter / Gatherer to hand in a specific item and get xp / rewards.

Every day check your provision list, buy the item off a vendor when available and hand it in. Can't really do anything with the excess gil, and it'll level your crafters and gatherers painlessly.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

While that works, you can double your rewards for those missions by turning in HQ versions. This bonus is often enough to get 2 or 3 levels per item.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Gnoman posted:

While that works, you can double your rewards for those missions by turning in HQ versions. This bonus is often enough to get 2 or 3 levels per item.

How do you get the HQ versions?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LeninVS posted:

How do you get the HQ versions?

HQ gathering turnins are obtained through various gathering nodes. Each material on a node has a base chance to be HQ when you gather it, which increases based on your Perception, up to 15%. Certain gatherer actions can increase this chance. HQ crafting turnins are more complex, since they require you to interact with the crafting minigame, and are generally somewhat difficult to do at lower levels without acquiring HQ materials to craft them with.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

With gathering, it is a percentage chance based on your stats. There are skills to boost the chance.

Crafting, you have to boost quality with skills during the crafting process. As long as you have level-appropriate gear, it isn't too hard once you get into the low 20s level range.

There's nothing wrong with turning in the standard quality versions to be quick, but the High Quality boost is too nice not to mention.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I agree and do the hq turnins daily on my alts but that takes time and access to things (time, MB, trading, material vendors) that free trial players don't have.

What they have is gil they have to spend or it gets lost in the aether. This is a great way to use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Gil wealth required in this game is attainable. Highest tier Gil bought set in the game only costs like 600k to build. The explicit vanity Gil sink mount is 25 mil, but all the high end unlocks are only about 6 digits big.

Income is a steady stream maintained through participation in many rituals. One ritual I do is I take my tomestones to idylshire to convert them into UnIdentified Ores, then take that on over to the next lady to turn it into Grade 3 Thanalan dirt, that can be tossed onto the market board. Supposedly they are used to grow onions that over level your chocobo and my brain falls out exploring the rest of the supply chain.

Edit: phone/double post maybe idk

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 20, 2021