Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Does it still cut out all the swearing? "Get away from her, you!" Sure told her, Ripley, right on!

That’s a good question; if it’s a straight reading of the novelization then probably yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

SteegSon is in competition but all the canonical sources show they are sucking hind tit.

I love how the Isolation writers decided that they would use thw obvious inferiority of their synthetics as a selling distinction with the tagline "you always know a Working Joe."

Yeah, there is a lot of neat lore hidden in the emails on the terminals in AI.

Seegson saw themselves as a competitor to W-Y, but they were basically outgunned. I believe some of the stuff you can read on the terminals in game talks about how Sevastopol station was built in an area where there were soon going to be trade routes, and it was going to be big business as a place to stop and rest, refuel, repair, etc.

But W-Y used their corporate connections to ensure that the trade routes never actually developed out that way, kept the routes in places where W-Y had their stations, and Sevastopol eventually became a dead-end spot out in the middle of nowhere. Which leads to Seegson eventually deciding to decommission the station, write it off as a loss, and this begins a couple of months before the events of the game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Claeaus posted:

There are three Alien audio dramas that are more like listening to a movie than an audio book, which is pretty cool:
Out of the Shadows
River of Pain
Sea of Sorrows

I was looking on audible and this seems to be a 3 book series. What's the order of it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Out of the Shadows is the first one, and Sea of Sorrows loosely links back to it. River of Pain is unconnected and tells how the Hadley’s Hope colony in ‘Aliens’ got destroyed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sounds good. I'll probably pick up Out of the Shadows. :toot:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do we have high hopes for the new Fireteam Elite game, or nah?

I know very little about it, aside from having watched the trailer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm looking forward to it from what I've seen so far. I haven't looked into it since someone last posted about it though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have historically enjoyed those types of games when well excecuted (l4d, vermintide 2) but there are a LOT of also rans in the genre so I won't be racing to preorder sight unseen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

Do we have high hopes for the new Fireteam Elite game, or nah?

I know very little about it, aside from having watched the trailer.
It is going to be loving excellent and there is absolutely no way I could end up eating my words like I did with Colonial Marines. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Apollodorus posted:

Hey fellow Xenocinephiles, thanks to whichever of you recommended Outland. I’d never heard of it before this thread, but my wife and I just finished watching it and really enjoyed it.

It definitely bites some of Alien’s rhyme, in terms of the “used future” and “space trucker” aesthetic plus the plot point of an utterly amoral “Company” that considers its workers expendable, however it’s also a neat space western. Plus I think they did a great job with what looked like a limited special effects budget, and the set design was solid.

I love how Outland is simultaneously a prequel to Alien and The Expanse. Also the foot chase halfway through the movie is absolutely fantastic

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is Colonial Marines still considered canon? Is Hicks still alive?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is Colonial Marines still considered canon? Is Hicks still alive?

The events of the game aren’t, but the hardware and whatnot are.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Does it still cut out all the swearing? "Get away from her, you!" Sure told her, Ripley, right on!

something something harsh language

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for Alien audiobooks on Audible? I signed up for it, not sure why, and have a new credit this month.

Myself, I didn't really care for the audio dramas myself. I preferred the novels.
That being said:

Alien - novelization of the movie, duh
Aliens - novelization of the best movie, double duh
Alien 3 - novelization of the worst movie, and it's way better than the movie.
Alien: Resurrection - better than the movie, but somehow a little less fun. Probably because Pearlman isn't just chewing up every scene he's in.
Alien: Isolation - Novelization of the game, it's kinda meh, but better than a sharp stick in the eye. I honestly wasn't terribly impressed.
Aliens: Phalanx - Meh. There's Aliens in it so it's better than nothing.
Alien: Sea of Sorrows - It was ok I guess. Not my favorite.
Alien: The Cold Forge - If I could only pick one, I think it would be this one. I think it was the most entertaining non-movie adaption story. I picture Dorian as Christolph Waltz and it totally makes the character.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 20, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just have a credit and I don't know what to use it on. I have a hard time paying attention to audiobooks because I only listen to them when I'm doing something else like mowing the lawn or running (very difficult to pay attention). I can't sit around and listen to them. I'd just fall asleep. I'm not sure how to audiobook correctly.

Also, I just looked it up and Cold Forge is FREE! And it has a really high rating.

edit: Aliens: Bug Hunt is also free. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this one before. Maybe I should save my credit for something else.

edit 2: The Alien 3 "lost script" from 1987 is also free and is narrated by some people including Michael Biehn and Lance Henrickson.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 20, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Get it!

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I just have a credit and I don't know what to use it on. I have a hard time paying attention to audiobooks because I only listen to them when I'm doing something else like mowing the lawn or running (very difficult to pay attention). I can't sit around and listen to them. I'd just fall asleep. I'm not sure how to audiobook correctly.

Also, I just looked it up and Cold Forge is FREE! And it has a really high rating.

edit: Aliens: Bug Hunt is also free. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this one before. Maybe I should save my credit for something else.

Cold Forge is a good one. And if it's free, definitely give it a listen.

As for non-Alien related audio books.
The Martian - duh
Ready Player One - duh
Star Wars: Death Troopers - because you know what Star Wars needs? Fuckin zombies!
Starship Troopers - duh
Zombie Fallout - the whole series, like 14 books or something and still going. It's not a difficult listen, or overly complicated or brainy, but it's fun and at points, pretty powerful. If a book can make me tear up, I can't not recommend it.

I mainly listened to them while driving. But also while putzing around the house doing menial stuff, and also while cutting grass. I almost never ever ever just sit and listen to them, unless the book is really really captivating and I simply must know what happens next.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 20, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The Alien 3 "lost script" from 1987 is also free and is narrated by some people including Michael Biehn and Lance Henrickson. It's just 2 hours and 16 minutes long. I can do that.

edit: Holy poo poo a ton of these are free

Alien: River of Pain
Alien: Sea of Sorrows
Alien: Into Charybdis
Alien: Isolation
Aliens: Infiltrator
Alien: Prototype
Alien: The Cold Forge
Alien: Covenant
Aliens: Bug Hunt
Alien: Covenant Origins

Wow.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 20, 2021

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

The Alien 3 "lost script" from 1987 is also free and is narrated by some people including Michael Biehn and Lance Henrickson. It's just 2 hours and 16 minutes long. I can do that.

Well ya, if it says Aliens and it's free, definitely download it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is Left 4 Dead with xenomorphs and more fun than I expected

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Neat!
I literally just started Aliens: Infiltrator yesterday.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Looks fun! But it seems like it might get boring after a while. They'll probably have different game modes.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm sure this has been posted but whatever, get your millennial cheesy butt rock on

https://youtu.be/OgXd6Npj4ZY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was this one ever posted in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kaffFpSUS0

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Alien is on TV. Welp, guess I know what I'm doing.

Also, I got high and watched Alien 3 assembly cut last night. I really like it now. It's a flat out good movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Looks fun! But it seems like it might get boring after a while. They'll probably have different game modes.

Have you ever played Dead by Daylight? I think you'd dig it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Have you ever played Dead by Daylight? I think you'd dig it.

I have not. Sounds scary.

I've played Left 4 Dead though. I usually only play that when I get drunk and want to play something for 15-30 minutes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FYI this thread is cool and good and a lot more fun and chill than the CineD one but you guys already knew that.

Keep thinking about Aliens everybody

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A always
B be
C thinking about Aliens

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Biplane posted:

A always
B be
C thinking about Aliens

:hmmyes:

I had the urge last night to watch Alien vs Predator: Requiem.
I don't know why.... maybe it's because it's the one movie that I don't remember anything about.
I didn't though. I turned it on and I was asleep before the opening credits were through.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

FYI this thread is cool and good and a lot more fun and chill than the CineD one but you guys already knew that.

I agree. There was a brief one in Scifi Wifi but it was very critical and I didn't pay attention to it as much as I should have. It died out.

Jay_Zombie posted:

:hmmyes:

I had the urge last night to watch Alien vs Predator: Requiem.
I don't know why.... maybe it's because it's the one movie that I don't remember anything about.
I didn't though. I turned it on and I was asleep before the opening credits were through.

I must be the only person on Earth who liked Requiem. Well not liked but didn't mind. I liked the main character because he was on Rescue Me. :biglips:

Although holy poo poo is that movie dark. I mean the lighting but also pretty grim. the baby nursery :cry:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Guy at work told me he watched Alien the other night

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Xenomrph posted:

Let me guess everyone's favorite robot kaiju is working his gimmick to redeem the bad ones like avp:r? Lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Iron Crowned posted:

Guy at work told me he watched Alien the other night

Smart guy.

It's been on the SyFy network the past few days. Alien through Resurrection. In fact, Alien 3 is on right now and Aliens is on at 1:20pm CDT!

But I watched Aliens last night again. Well my usual watch which is me doing something on my computer with the movie on in the background.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I watch a lot of tabletop gaming/miniature painting channels on YT and I've recently been seeing some of them put out vids for both the Alien RPG and the Aliens miniature game. I'd like to get both but I don't know if anyone I game with would want to play the RPG as they're mostly the typical D&D players and not big into sci-fi survival horror. I might still grab the RPG though, the sourcebook looks to be really high quality in terms of both design and production.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I must be the only person on Earth who liked Requiem. Well not liked but didn't mind. I liked the main character because he was on Rescue Me. :biglips:

I liked it. It was an entertaining "bad" movie. Some good kills in it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Let me guess everyone's favorite robot kaiju is working his gimmick to redeem the bad ones like avp:r? Lol

Not even that, he’s working his gimmick to push bizarre contrarian alternate readings of ‘Alien’ that are tenuous at best, and some of his sycophants/imitators are posting in support/defense of him to get some of that sweet CineD cred or whatever.

Oh well, whatever floats their boat I guess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I agree. There was a brief one in Scifi Wifi but it was very critical and I didn't pay attention to it as much as I should have. It died out.

Although holy poo poo is that movie dark. I mean the lighting but also pretty grim. the baby nursery :cry:
I liked it.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Just gonna leave these here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Owlbear Camus posted:

TBH I think he’s right about Alien.

By which I mean I don’t think the Company knew about the signal before the movie started but I do think Mother and Ash were programmed beforehand with the protocols that made the crew expendable when they did find something.