Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lmao the top story on BBC news at 10 is an ad for Laura K's interview with big brain Dom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

namesake posted:

Thing is they'll either be right and the wave isn't as bad as official predictions are saying or they are making such a huge strategic blunder to ruin the long term benefit of not loving up the vaccination roll out that I'm pretty okay with them owning the situation like this.

i cant believe corbyn did this

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

One of the things I am genuinely happy about is that the gay scare propaganda about how we're going to turn all your kids gay is actually entirely true, and it rules, there is no line between the personal and the political, you let people do stuff in the comfort of their own home and they start doing it in public too, eat poo poo assholes turns out you did need cultural hegemony to maintain your lovely ideas.

Do they have to be "poo poo assholes"? No chance of at least a wet wipe?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jiggerypokery posted:

Do they have to be "poo poo assholes"? No chance of at least a wet wipe?

i went raw vegan for a reason

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What about the bootees?

"Shoes so comfortable you think they're slippers" - those big felt velcro things that look nothing like shoes and exactly like slippers that you see in the Easylife catalogues :)
(they keep sending them to my flat for the previous occupier who died about 3 years ago).

yes, the fleecey ones with zips up the front, for preference

and those elasticated trousers they sell in sunday paper magazines

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

I'm adding you to my Rogues Gallery of mental pictures I have of posters.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Today's Daily Star front page as seen in Home Bargains this evening.

I'm still not sure who the target market for the DS is but I do love their covers sometimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thought for the day, because they're rationed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the star is too highbrow for me i get my news from the sport :mcrappe:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

...Where does the Teletubbies come into it?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

stev posted:

...Where does the Teletubbies come into it?

Because he's in lala land wheeeeeyyyyyyyy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

flip flop into a sex arse

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Boris' head on a stick - truly the most revolutionary of papers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

I think one of the greatest changes of the past century is that after decades of calling everything from the cinema to comics to rock music to gay people a corrupting influence on the youth, and making up the most obscene types of satanic panics and conspiracy theories, it was finally unveiled that the big organized churches of the world were all abusing kids and everyone stopped caring what they had to say about anything.

Maybe what they were actually afraid of is that a powerful media would not flinch from exposing them for what they were.

OwlFancier posted:

One of the things I am genuinely happy about is that the gay scare propaganda about how we're going to turn all your kids gay is actually entirely true, and it rules, there is no line between the personal and the political, you let people do stuff in the comfort of their own home and they start doing it in public too, eat poo poo assholes turns out you did need cultural hegemony to maintain your lovely ideas.

Doccykins posted:

Because he's in lala land wheeeeeyyyyyyyy

I'm no whig historian, I don't believe the idea that everything is going to get automatically better for LGBT people without struggle, but the fact that the 'LGBT-free zones' and so on in Poland were entirely a reaction to a documentary outing the church as nonce collaborators that turned into a culture war for rural conservatives defending actual pedophiles by opposing theoretical ones is at the same time loving wild, sadly predictable, and gives me some hope the idea won't last long and that people are prepared to struggle where they see reactionaries falling back on that poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wait really? Because the gist of the latter half of JP is Malcolm slowly dying and having chapter long rants about how the human race is wiping itself out, intercut with the occasional explanation of how linux works.

Well that was remarkably prescient of him since the book is from 1990 and the first release of the Linux kernel wasn't til late 1991. The film prominently features Irix if I recall.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Labour Party's finances must be hosed lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/19/labour-could-cut-up-to-a-quarter-of-its-staff-in-cost-saving-push

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

'hopes of a membership bounce after Starmer took over failed to materialise.' :cawg:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't begin to imagine who could be the combination of rear end in a top hat and credulous to believe that could happen.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

feedmegin posted:

'hopes of a membership bounce after Starmer took over failed to materialise.' :cawg:

Pretty sure loads of members bounced soon after he took over

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Well that was remarkably prescient of him since the book is from 1990 and the first release of the Linux kernel wasn't til late 1991. The film prominently features Irix if I recall.

OwlFancier posted:

I can't begin to imagine who could be the combination of rear end in a top hat and credulous to believe that could happen.

Get in loser, we're going losing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kyojin posted:

Pretty sure loads of members bounced soon after he took over

Me along with every member I know IRL (all two of them) left after he sacked RLB. That's when it was clear things weren't going to get better.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

and shoplifting

As someone who ended up in court due to that nearly 40 years ago i would tell you to not be the stupid oval office that i was.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I just checked the book and yes, the OS is not mentioned or is mentioned so briefly I couldn't find it in the numerous pages which involve Tim dicking about in menus.

The film makes up some line from Lex about how it's a unix (she possibly says linux) based system, which at least paints her as a semi functional character; in the book she is written to be absolutely insufferable and loving up everything she possibly can at any given moment.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Niric posted:

Do you mean like this:

code:
Number of concerts globally p.a.	
	High		Medium		Low
60	735000.00	450000.00	225000.00
45	551250.00	337500.00	168750.00
30	367500.00	225000.00	112500.00
Average number of seats			
700	735000.00	472500.00	262500.00
500	525000.00	337500.00	187500.00
300	315000.00	202500.00	112500.00
Average ticket price			
35	735000.00	393750.00	157500.00
30	630000.00	337500.00	135000.00
25	525000.00	281250.00	112500.00
Average revenue share			
50%	735000.00	337500.00	112500.00
Or were you wanting every possible combination?

ALL OF THEM! Jaelunji: has very kindly sent be a file which I’ll review in my laptop in the morning.

namesake posted:

You could create a fairly simple combination look up where you just typed in L/M/H a particular cell for each variable and another cell then retrieves that number and another cell puts them together how you like but I don't think there's a quick way of generating all results at once other than typing out all those combinations.

That sort of multi variable task is why databases are used.

Thanks. I did think of pull down menus/lookups (and I could find an old one to refresh my memory) but I want to see all the potential combinations at once.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

crispix posted:

Whoah! Has someone got a date?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

learnincurve posted:

I read a lot of novels from the 1920s, which is a interesting period because it’s a gentler time, but they are also breaking away from Victorian values and a big trope is the belligerent old Victorian uncle who’s lost his mind.
Lot of the younger authors aren’t racist, that re-emerges in the mid 1930s, and are far more likely to drop in a white man happily married to a black or Indian wife than at any point before now.

Brian Flynn was where Christie got a lot of her ideas from but he is barely remembered.

White man/non-white woman was more acceptable than the other way around, at which point the racism came to the fore. As the man was the head of the household, then it was OK for him to marry someone inferior by race as well as by gender. It was very different when white women/non-white men married, or tried to. There was also the expectation that the woman was expected to move to where her husband was from and assimilate, which meant Britain would lose a good white woman, and any children, to the uncivilised colonies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just checked the book and yes, the OS is not mentioned or is mentioned so briefly I couldn't find it in the numerous pages which involve Tim dicking about in menus.

The film makes up some line from Lex about how it's a unix (she possibly says linux) based system, which at least paints her as a semi functional character; in the book she is written to be absolutely insufferable and loving up everything she possibly can at any given moment.

It's a unix system. I know unix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxIPcbmo1_U

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Crazy thing is, that actually is a real system. Not one you'd want to use, but a real system.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

ALL OF THEM! Jaelunji: has very kindly sent be a file which I’ll review in my laptop in the morning.

Thanks. I did think of pull down menus/lookups (and I could find an old one to refresh my memory) but I want to see all the potential combinations at once.

I sent you a revised version as I forgot the pivot in the first one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a unix system. I know unix. Wait gently caress I need to untar something from the command line, does anyone have the 1200 page book? gently caress it, let one of the dinosaurs in they might be more familiar with it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Guavanaut posted:

Get in loser, we're going losing.

" Cogent opinions? Where we're going, we don't need cogent opinions!"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The movie's from 1993. I installed my first Linux system in 1996 and even then you needed to be a turbo nerd to have heard of it. Didn't really hit the mainstream until maybe 1999 or so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trickjaw posted:

" Cogent opinions? Where we're going, we don't need cogent opinions!"
We can't stop here, this is VAT country.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's a unix system. I know unix. Wait gently caress I need to untar something from the command line, does anyone have the 1200 page book? gently caress it, let one of the dinosaurs in they might be more familiar with it.
All i know about linux is sudo means please and gksudo means pretty please.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And su means "look at me, I'm the please now"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Firing half my staff so Peter Mandelson can buy more fancy and expensive belts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Myself and fellow temp secretary did night classes in Unix and C for a year at what was Central London Poly - the building was right round the corner from our place of work
That was over 30 years ago now.
Neither of us managed to slide into programming for some reason.

I had lost a chance of working for Burroughs a few years earlier because I was desperate for work and took a lowly customer liaison post about a month before Burroughs (which merged with Unisys a couple of years later) got round to offering me the place which would have paid £2k a year more - this was the 80s so that was a LOT, but I had promised my boss at the customer liaison place that I wouldn't just leave if I got a better offer and I felt duty bound to stick to my word for the sake of any other overqualified people desperate to pay their rent and buy a loaf of bread.
'Doing my duty' by employers has never worked out well for me financially! Employers absolutely do not reward loyalty - hard life lesson from a Boomer/Xer.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

when i am old, i want to have a little shopping trolley and gan till the supermarket twice in the day: once in the morning, for to hide all the reduced items i want, then near the end of the day so i can replace them in the reduced section for them to be discounted further and then they will be all mine :hehe:

just spend the rest of my days writing letters of complaint and feeding the ducks

and shoplifting

If you're old, decrepit and desperate enough could you do a felony just to get sent away for 3 hots and a cot? Or would the courts just laugh at you and leave you on the streets to freeze to death.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had lost a chance of working for Burroughs a few years earlier
I know you mean the typewriter/adding machine place but still, there's always the risk that your job would have been "we need to code a phallus. a vegetal cockroach phallus. to emit pure heroin on command. that's your project. last three leads got shot somehow while i was drunk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I know you mean the typewriter/adding machine place but still, there's always the risk that your job would have been "we need to code a phallus. a vegetal cockroach phallus. to emit pure heroin on command. that's your project. last three leads got shot somehow while i was drunk."

I take it you're referring to William Burroughs?
I think I read Naked Lunch back in my 20s but I don't remember much about it.

:mushroomhead:

ed: Wiki informs me that William Burroughs is in fact the grandon of the founder of the Burroughs Adding Machine co

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Burroughs

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 20, 2021