Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
seeing the Filthy Animals in actual footage and remembering that three of them are Hall of Famers, and not even fringe Hall of Famers but were top tier first ballot Hall of Famers, is so loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
#WeGotEdFromPodVanDamOnBetweenTheSheetsToTalkAboutDudeLove
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1416983596506701824

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

El Generico posted:

I'm baaaaack!

Holy poo poo what an episode.

As someone who never watched WCW and only know about it through osmosis (YouTube, this forum, etc) I can't thank you enough for these videos. They are just shocking in how bad wrestling was(is?).
And Bryan and Vinny recaps are:discourse:. The audio only doesn't do them enough justice.

Now B&V are doing this as a recap years later, how was it viewed (or most of the bad parts of WCW) in at the time? Like was this a good episode when it aired?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

El Generico posted:

I'm baaaaack!

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Episode 4 - Nov 8th 1999

Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x82s9og
(Might be in HD if you wait a bit, might not)

Glad to be back in the saddle with BaVvNaR, after some personal issues kept me from being able to for a while, and this is a hell of an episode to come back to, as the boys tackle a truly awful episode of Nitro, perhaps the worst wrestling show ever seen? You be the judge. (But no, Heroes of Wrestling is worse.) This one took a while to edit for the same reason it took B&V a long time to cover: so many segments. Just so many. I also had to get this edit under an hour due to Dailymotion's video duration limit, which I didn't know about until I ran up against it!

FEATURING: An awesome Vinny rant, stalking and menacing, fake news, terrible finishes, Goldberg playing dressup and playing hide and go seek, still the worst tournament ever, still dog-like humping, Liz being manhandled, a very expensive toilet scrubber, a fake fight that's worse than Jenna vs. Sharmell, Seven, a fake injury, a very chill rebellious punk youth, just so many Creative Control run-ins, Torrie Wilson, Bam Bam Bigelow being lost outside time and space, broken car windows, and the dumbest finish to a ladder match ever.

Amazing, thank you. These are always great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

We're two weeks away from B&V doing the infamous post-9/11 SmackDown, and I for one can't wait.

Dango Bango posted:

I'm afraid I've got some bad news. They said they're skipping the 9/11 episode.

Confirmed on the MITB review with Craig and Lance that they will in fact be doing that episode. Bonus, Lance will on the show and he was at that show so that's neat.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Thank u very much for this

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Digital Jedi posted:

Like was this a good episode when it aired?

I remember this era fairly well because as a kid I'd get home on Monday to watch WCW from the East Coast feed at my grandparents house, then watch RAW after that, then on Tuesday I'd get internet time and read all the scoops that were posted online.

Now personally speaking, I'd probably come off as a Vince Russo apologist at the time because I was so sick of Hogan by this point, and for better or worse(mostly worse) Hogan was gone for a while once Russo came in so he had points with me from the start. There was a lot of buzz because there was some hope that this guy could turn things around, meanwhile he was speaking pretty much directly to me, the smart fan, with a lot of the writing. However a year later after he'd booked himself to win the title and beat Goldberg, I was pretty over the guy.

It's kind of hard to explain how stale the WCW roster was at the time, so even though he was throwing a lot of poo poo at the wall it was at least fresh poo poo.

The think about the "crash tv" writing was that moment to moment if was kind of easy to get into it because there was always something happening, but when it came to having good matches Russo wouldn't let guys wrestle for any length of time really.

It's probably kind of similar to a transformers movie in that while you're in the middle of it, and everything is blowing up you're distracted by the constant poo poo happening but an hour later you start thinking about it and you're like 'Wait, that made no loving sense.'

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

El Generico posted:

I'm baaaaack!

Bryan and Vinny vs. Nitro and Russo - WCW Review with Video - Episode 4 - Nov 8th 1999

Glad to see you're doing these again, very entertaining to watch!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, Kath Barbadoro was the moderating influence of Wrestlesplainia and Rachel + Indie Workers was not a formula for success in my opinion.

that is a very polite way to say "it is now unlistenable". the first few episodes were rad because Rachel legit had no idea what the gently caress was going on, and over (a very short period of) time just got weirdly obsessed? also, harassing Chuck Taylor until he gave up and finally gave an interview was pretty gross!

Their initial episode about Best Friends (episode 6) where Rachel was hearing everything completely insane about Trent had some pretty great reactions.

I subscribed to f4w out of curiosity; what are some things I should absolutely get started with to get the vibe of the network? specific episodes if ya have 'em, please?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the escape goat posted:

that is a very polite way to say "it is now unlistenable". the first few episodes were rad because Rachel legit had no idea what the gently caress was going on, and over (a very short period of) time just got weirdly obsessed? also, harassing Chuck Taylor until he gave up and finally gave an interview was pretty gross!

Their initial episode about Best Friends (episode 6) where Rachel was hearing everything completely insane about Trent had some pretty great reactions.

I subscribed to f4w out of curiosity; what are some things I should absolutely get started with to get the vibe of the network? specific episodes if ya have 'em, please?
late 2015 B&V shows are when the retro raw and retro nitro were really good, and their sunday shows around then were really good too if you like hearing Bryan burying terrible 80s jobbers

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the escape goat posted:

Listen to the annual best ofs. Moving forward, The Tuesday morning WORs are usually good, the interviews are good, I like the Lance shows, and the occasional Bryan and Vinny.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My favorite part of retro Raw is reliving just how absolutely dire the WWF midcard was even when the company was turning it around. Vinny's vendetta against the Headbangers sucking is always funny.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

the escape goat posted:

Look up the reviews of Urban Wrestling Federation shows - they're the most preposterous, problematic wrestling company ever.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I was surprised Dave was as high on Charlotte and Rhea as I was, it was a badass match though.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

appreciate it, y'all!

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Eat My Fuc posted:

I was surprised Dave was as high on Charlotte and Rhea as I was, it was a badass match though.

it was definitely bad and rear end

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

My favorite part of retro Raw is reliving just how absolutely dire the WWF midcard was even when the company was turning it around. Vinny's vendetta against the Headbangers sucking is always funny.

"Vinny, the Headbangers are faces."

"That's impossible."

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

the escape goat posted:

June 19 2012, the Figure Four Daily where Bryan interviews Larry Zbyszko. It's supposed to be an interview about his career, but it goes off the rails within minutes in the most preposterous way. Strongly recommended as an example of how great Bryan is at just letting his subjects talk, and giving them more than enough rope to hang themselves

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Shayna Baszler posted:

it was definitely bad and rear end

Actually it was both extremely cool and good, and Charlotte flipping off the crowd was the first time flipping the bird in wrestling wasn’t corny in years. I hope Charlotte goes to AEW

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Dave talking about how John shouldn't have come back in jorts, hes really losing it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Actually it was both extremely cool and good, and Charlotte flipping off the crowd was the first time flipping the bird in wrestling wasn’t corny in years. I hope Charlotte goes to AEW
I don't

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Dave talking about how John shouldn't have come back in jorts, hes really losing it

Don’t remember that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like there's almost nothing in the world of wrestling that would shock and confuse me more than Charlotte Flair jumping to AEW.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ric flair went to wwe

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like there's almost nothing in the world of wrestling that would shock and confuse me more than Charlotte Flair jumping to AEW.

What if she quit, worked the indies, Mexico, Europe and Japan in massively critically acclaimed tours first?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Wazzu posted:

What if she quit, worked the indies, Mexico, Europe and Japan in massively critically acclaimed tours first?
Depends on whether or not her issues are because of the WWE or because of who she is because a bunch of good tours never stopped Ivelisse or Low-Ki or Austin Aeris from being awful people.

Not that Flair is as bad as them but still

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don’t remember that

It was brief, he quickly realized how wrong he was.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave thought John's gear made him look silly, which it does on a man Cena's age....But than that silly goes around to being awesome so it balances out in the end

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wazzu posted:

I really only meant that I don't see why Charlotte, who has never wrestled anywhere but wwe, would leave the company that books her as the queen of their division and is clearly planning to make her "the greatest of all time" and a Hall of Famer to go the smaller rival that at least as of this moment has struggled to give all its women time, let alone any promise they'd give her half the reverence wwe does.

I mean a lot of things can change but Charlotte seems like as sure of a wwe lifer as anyone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I really only meant that I don't see why Charlotte, who has never wrestled anywhere but wwe, would leave the company that books her as the queen of their division and is clearly planning to make her "the greatest of all time" and a Hall of Famer to go the smaller rival that at least as of this moment has struggled to give all its women time, let alone any promise they'd give her half the reverence wwe does.

I mean a lot of things can change but Charlotte seems like as sure of a wwe lifer as anyone.

AEW's locker room probably won't have hidden cameras. Like, I don't think things are as good as people assume they are just because she gets pushed. Her and Andrade have both mentioned stuff that ranges from simple things that might be better in other companies to stuff that sounds like real creep poo poo.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 20, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Rick Rubin said Blood and Guts

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

June 19 2012, the Figure Four Daily where Bryan interviews Larry Zbyszko. It's supposed to be an interview about his career, but it goes off the rails within minutes in the most preposterous way. Strongly recommended as an example of how great Bryan is at just letting his subjects talk, and giving them more than enough rope to hang themselves

Also, every Konnan interview with Dave “Gin and Juice and Molly” Meltzer and Bryan.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW's locker room probably won't have hidden cameras.

…wait what

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Jerusalem posted:

Also AC Jazz was clearly saying,"The last time I are a awww a rarr ahh atta dprtment store at Kmart!" :colbert:

OK, so, someone on Youtube figured it out and I can hear it now, she's saying "ironing boards". Because they're skinny, I guess? It's still a weird insult.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, glad you're enjoying these!

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
truly golden episode, brought me many laughs, thank you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sometimes I think about when Super Dragon and AJ Styles were in WCW while it was circling the drain and how close they could've been to being ROH if they stopped pandering to legends from the 80's and early 90's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

Sometimes I think about when Super Dragon and AJ Styles were in WCW while it was circling the drain and how close they could've been to being ROH if they stopped pandering to legends from the 80's and early 90's.

Did Super Dragon have more than a dark match?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Did Super Dragon have more than a dark match?
With Blitzkreig who got a ton of buzz but left the business early. Super Dragon was pretty early in his career at the time though

Fun fact: Blitzkreig gave his gimmick to Jack Evans when he retired.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

RealFoxy posted:

With Blitzkreig who got a ton of buzz but left the business early. Super Dragon was pretty early in his career at the time though

Fun fact: Blitzkreig gave his gimmick to Jack Evans when he retired.

I thought he gave it to Jimmy Jacobs. That's why there was the "Huss!" chant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I thought he gave it to Jimmy Jacobs. That's why there was the "Huss!" chant.
That was because he had Bruiser Brody style furry boots and "HUSSS" was Brody's audible in-ring thing, like Mick Foley used to do "ah-huh-huh" loudly to hide calling spots