Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
i'm voting for the conspiracy nut with the hot sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This is sexism and anti-Asian hate

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Miami Herald put up a new article with info from a source involved with the mercs who were hired.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article252838598.html#storylink=mainstage_card

If it's paywalled I can paste it here. Long story short it reads like a couple of dumb guys got in over their head and it kind of just kept spiraling from there.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

that's the story of america...

e: no wait that's the biblical story of creation too

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It may be just a "bunch of dumb guys" but it is hard not to say the assassination was intentional. It very well may have been a local affair, but with so many US trained operatives involved, I have a hard time believing they didn't at least knew that something was up.

It is also why the events in Cuba make sense, either way it is damage control and the last thing the US wants to happen is the current government in Haiti to completely get kicked out of power.

-----

The result in Chile isn't the worse in the world. While Jadue polled well in isolation, he pretty much lost every match up against Lavin and honestly I doubt he would make it through the GE. Boric is clearly more to the center and really depends how well he manages his coalition. There is a desire for some type of change in Chile looking at the constitutional convention and he has to find a way to unite the left wing and center-left beyond just triangulating towards the center.

Also, things in Peru looking relatively up, Castillo may be actually allowed to become president (we will still see...). I think Castillo is more to the left than the Western press paints him as but he is also in a very difficult position. He just barely won the election and doesn't have legislative support.

In both cases, I could see Boric/Castillo leaning towards China "without mooning the US." I doubt either one would or really could join ALBA but at the same time I would say they still represent a left-ward direction in Latin American politics.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It may be just a "bunch of dumb guys" but it is hard not to say the assassination was intentional. It very well may have been a local affair, but with so many US trained operatives involved, I have a hard time believing they didn't at least knew that something was up.

Yeah the Colombian side that was interviewed mentioned that they were told it was a hit from the beginning. But they have got a good fall guy now in the guy who was planning to just stroll in and be in charge.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ardennes posted:

It is also why the events in Cuba make sense, either way it is damage control and the last thing the US wants to happen is the current government in Haiti to completely get kicked out of power.

-----

The result in Chile isn't the worse in the world. While Jadue polled well in isolation, he pretty much lost every match up against Lavin and honestly I doubt he would make it through the GE. Boric is clearly more to the center and really depends how well he manages his coalition. There is a desire for some type of change in Chile looking at the constitutional convention and he has to find a way to unite the left wing and center-left beyond just triangulating towards the center.

Also, things in Peru looking relatively up, Castillo may be actually allowed to become president (we will still see...). I think Castillo is more to the left than the Western press paints him as but he is also in a very difficult position. He just barely won the election and doesn't have legislative support.

In both cases, I could see Boric/Castillo leaning towards China "without mooning the US." I doubt either one would or really could join ALBA but at the same time I would say they still represent a left-ward direction in Latin American politics.

Boric's spoken against Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua's human rights records, but to be fair he also questioned that the chilean media never covers issues from right-leaning LatAm countries like the assassination of union leaders in Colombia and organized crime ties in Honduras, and has spoken against US interference in Venezuela (namely the propping up of Guaidó and the 'aid caravan' incident, where Piñera tried to play a major role and fell flat on his rear end) and the Bolivian coup. Jadue's official position actually was largely the same ("we condemn all human rights violations and also oppose all forms of foreign interference") but it was evident he was saying it through gritted teeth, which became a liability in the debates because reporters (who already opposed Jadue, for his Media Law proposal, among other reasons) found it very easy to bait an angry reaction from him by prodding on Cuba and Venezuela. Chilean voters genuinely don't care about foreign policy unless it's an immigration or border dispute issue, though.

Jadue said he was willing to discuss the issue of Bolivia's long-standing demand for a corridor to the Pacific (implying he'd be open to the sea-for-gas proposal that Morales raised ages ago) and leaving the final decision to a national referendum. Boric mostly focused on the need to re-establish formal diplomatic ties with Bolivia (Chile hasn't had an embassy in Bolivia for 40 years), though he'd made similar statements a few years back.

Both Jadue and Boric supported a nationalization program for mineral resources, which would play against chinese interests in the chilean mining sector (I think the subject was briefly touched in one of the debates).

SexyBlindfold has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Jul 20, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1417282352288571392?s=20
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1417291716034445312?s=20

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

countdown til those dumb guys get a movie made about them as american patriots

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SexyBlindfold posted:

Boric's spoken against Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua's human rights records, but to be fair he also questioned that the chilean media never covers issues from right-leaning LatAm countries like the assassination of union leaders in Colombia and organized crime ties in Honduras, and has spoken against US interference in Venezuela (namely the propping up of Guaidó and the 'aid caravan' incident, where Piñera tried to play a major role and fell flat on his rear end) and the Bolivian coup. Jadue's official position actually was largely the same ("we condemn all human rights violations and also oppose all forms of foreign interference") but it was evident he was saying it through gritted teeth, which became a liability in the debates because reporters (who already opposed Jadue, for his Media Law proposal, among other reasons) found it very easy to bait an angry reaction from him by prodding on Cuba and Venezuela. Chilean voters genuinely don't care about foreign policy unless it's an immigration or border dispute issue, though.

Jadue said he was willing to discuss the issue of Bolivia's long-standing demand for a corridor to the Pacific (implying he'd be open to the sea-for-gas proposal that Morales raised ages ago) and leaving the final decision to a national referendum. Boric mostly focused on the need to re-establish formal diplomatic ties with Bolivia (Chile hasn't had an embassy in Bolivia for 40 years), though he'd made similar statements a few years back.

Both Jadue and Boric supported a nationalization program for mineral resources, which would play against chinese interests in the chilean mining sector (I think the subject was briefly touched in one of the debates).

It isn’t that surprising coming from Boric, but at the same time, the balance of power is changing and even soft-leftists are probably going to have to find a way between the two sides. I would have a hard time seeing Chile actually do a 180 with its relationship with the US. Any sort of “middle ground” would be an improvement.

Also, it seems nationalization would probably be bad for all interests including Western ones unless it is specifically of Chinese enterprises. Also, I don’t know if China minds that much unless they actually shut off from access of the Chilean copper market. Their emphasis has always been on the long term needs of the state.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

uber_stoat posted:

oye coma va, that one spanish language song my white rear end knows cuz they always play it in the tex mex place i go to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSVXIAKnoE

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

that they actually stopped at the in-n-out is one of my favorite gags

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

might want to do a rain check on that one lmao, try 2056

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I still feel the probably racist urge to make a joke about how she has to settle for marrying O'Brien

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

When I read this, I could not believe that Bolsonaro had spoken to csgo pros like Fallen like wtf. But also! WTF is wrong with you fallen jfc

Also get hosed Keiko lmao

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

This seems like very bad opsec, for an op to have

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The REAL Goobusters posted:

When I read this, I could not believe that Bolsonaro had spoken to csgo pros like Fallen like wtf. But also! WTF is wrong with you fallen jfc

Gamers are trash

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Keikowned?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
congrats to Pete Buttigieg for winning the Chilean presidential primary!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the Cuban government is making their thugs wear pumpkin costumes and they are shooting protesters in the legs with rifles and then molesting them and then they are disappearing them into tunnels

i saw the pumpkin costumes and the tunnels looked at me

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

yellowcar posted:

i'm the unnecessary accent on the 'e' in 'elite'

its pronounced ehlite and youre supposed to say it with an italian accent

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my bony fealty posted:

human rights abuses

what does that mean? nobody knows :shrug:

It means they're guilty of creating conditions similar to the United States among their populace

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
Anyone know anything about this book https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-double-life-of-fidel-castro-juan-sanchez/1120919369 which is the sole source for basically every detail about Castro's post revolution life on wikipedia? Can't find anything besides liberal fawning.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OrinocoTribune/status/1417489103449382917?s=20

awkward if true

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
be on the lookout for a roving squad of hapless right wing dipshits. the plane they are travelling in sports a paint scheme similar to this car.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So the (pretend) Venezuela government is complicit in this? Lol

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
not directly i'd wager, but i doubt there's any harm in letting them take their share of the blame

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

dumb rear end democracia now belongs in the trash

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417580302487195650?s=20

idk, how many? you spend billions on intelligence, can't you give us any idea?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

now do saudi arabia, julie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
hell do Chicago

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*being detained at an airport in the US for 72 hours* well at least im not in Cuba

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

bedpan posted:

it was exactly the type of pandering that people wanted. everyone read that said, "Wow! President AOC!"

Not everyone!

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417580302487195650?s=20

idk, how many? you spend billions on intelligence, can't you give us any idea?

all the nice satellites are busy looking at xi's balls in ultra high def we don't ahve the budget to waste time looking at central american/carribbean islander balls

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417848002027339782?s=20
https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417848004132970501?s=20
https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417848006448197635?s=20
https://twitter.com/WHAAsstSecty/status/1417848008541147141?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I will never not lol at a representative of the american government condemning "violence, repression, and human rights violations against peaceful protestors"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

That last post could easily be read as anti-embargo in a different context.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hell yes it's happening (hopefully)

https://twitter.com/BiancaJoanie/status/1417907526654377987

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Just floating 15 miles off shore? Doing what? Grifting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

the I'm Not Touching You Flotilla