Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
New Jersey Attorney General Prepares Cease And Desist Order Against Multi-Billion Dollar Bitcoin Financial Services Platform (Blockfi)

Blockfi, for those who dont know, is one of the companies offering interest on (uninsured) crypto deposits. Apparently at least in part by violating securities regulations.

drk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

literally watching bitcoin crash under 30k... someone is buying the dip to prop it up though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They're so hosed if it falls much below that.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
for a while now the game has been every time it drops below 30 the bots real investors will jump in with a massive pile of tether united states dollars to prop it back up again, there's definitely enough new real money and attention here to keep this going to the moon

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

tether hasn't printed much money in a while..only thing that could technically prop it up is USDC. what's triggering this new selloff

but its probably also this news: https://twitter.com/DelRayMan/status/1417304092574195713

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

for a while now the game has been every time it drops below 30 the bots real investors will jump in with a massive pile of tether united states dollars to prop it back up again, there's definitely enough new real money and attention here to keep this going to the moon

The bouncing has been so obvious. Nearing 30k? Wow all of a sudden it's back to 33k. Like clockwork. Eth about to touch 1899? Nope, 1975 right away! They would have you believe that it's the sheer volume of DCA'ers seeing an opportunity to lower the cost of their average buy in, but how many of these are people were there before BTC was up at 30k? It just doesn't make that much sense.

Also would love to hear the story of the miner who committed unexpected hara kiri via ln2 because that sounds insane if true.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i dont remember anyone killing themselves with nitrogen, just the heatstroke guy and the kicking over a nitrogen tank guy

and tether doesnt have to print money, they already printed billions. and hell, these jerks have been putting fake numbers on websites since the magic the gathering online exchange

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt the 99.99999999999........99999999999% pure silver guy also show a completely lack of how math and fractions work.

also why have silver when he has coinz??

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

They're so hosed if it falls much below that.

I’d say :sickos: but we all know the tether printer will brrrrrr and it’ll mysteriously jump back up

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Love my dehyrdated strawberries.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Eth about to touch 1899? Nope, 1975 right away!

Must've turned the bot off today, then:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
this might be the last chance to get some cheap butts, buy buy buy

drk
Jan 16, 2005
BlockFi confirms the rumour:

https://twitter.com/BlockFiZac/status/1417316834244796416

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mimesweeper posted:

this might be the last chance to get some cheap butts, buy buy buy

im not a nocoiner im just waiting an infinite amount of time for the price to become 0, then i can get all the bitcoin i want

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i don't know if it'll get back to 30k, but there are a lot of people trying really hard to shoot it back up to that price

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
you'll know the crash is serious when the suicide hotline is stickied in r/bitcoin again

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Tether has been keeping the printer on low since the whole New York investigation, but USDC (backed by whom?) is fulfilling the same role now making the printer go brrrrrrrr

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Tether printer has actually been off for over a month - there are less Tether in circulation than there was a month ago. This, is good for Bitcoin because something something dip

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

vortmax posted:

Tether has been keeping the printer on low since the whole New York investigation, but USDC (backed by whom?) is fulfilling the same role now making the printer go brrrrrrrr

In Circle's SPAC filing they used figures from December showing a $4 billion dollar market cap for USDC, which has since risen to $26 billion and counting. Why they would use December numbers in July is frankly, puzzling.

Let's also consider their most recent attestation which basically states that, we looked and the money is definitely there.

But in what?? Well it turns out the truth is even more mindbogglingly stupid than you could imagine.

https://twitter.com/Arturo_P_A/status/1413270813906771970

Once again, this company is going public for billions (with a B) and American securities regulators are caught asleep at the wheel. They're going to wake up in a daze after their 15th car wreck muttering "how could this happen... how could this all have happened" then wander off into another car that they'll wrap around a lightpole approving the next blockchain juicero garbage company.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

drk posted:

Tether printer has actually been off for over a month - there are less Tether in circulation than there was a month ago. This, is good for Bitcoin because something something dip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLKVcEACls

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Beached Whale posted:

But in what?? Well it turns out the truth is even more mindbogglingly stupid than you could imagine.

https://twitter.com/Arturo_P_A/status/1413270813906771970

Once again, this company is going public for billions (with a B) and American securities regulators are caught asleep at the wheel. They're going to wake up in a daze after their 15th car wreck muttering "how could this happen... how could this all have happened" then wander off into another car that they'll wrap around a lightpole approving the next blockchain juicero garbage company.

It can't possibly be that stupid. You must be explaining it wrong.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's like the "Guh" kid but in large scale and on purpose.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Circle actually revealed the USDC backing today, and its fairly boring.

(pdf of report)

They are taking on a non-zero amount of credit risk - exactly what assets comprise their commercial paper and corporate bonds aren't stated but they do state an average credit rating of A and a minimum of BBB+. But overall, looks fairly legit.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

drk posted:

(pdf of report)

They are taking on a non-zero amount of credit risk - exactly what assets comprise their commercial paper and corporate bonds aren't stated but they do state an average credit rating of A and a minimum of BBB+. But overall, looks fairly legit.

Tether also had 75.85% of their reserves marked as "Cash & Cash Equivalents" and I don't think anyone here is going to say it isn't total bullshit either. Bond ratings similarly mean nothing unless they state w̶h̶o̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ what the bonds are for, neither of which are things that they did.

EDIT: Looks like they said it was S&P but it could still be entirely made up as they did not state what the bonds are, they also have not been fully audited by an independent 3rd party auditor

Beached Whale fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

I've noticed every time crypto dips I suddenly get bombarded with Twitter ads trying to sell me Dogecoins, so they're pumping it that way as well

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

drk posted:

(pdf of report)

Sweet summer child. Cash equivalents is a term that's normally reserved for things like treasury bonds and poo poo. But do you really think that is what they're using as cash equivalents and not a bunch of cryptocoins or crypto derivatives? You think someone running a cryptocurrency doesn't think another cryptocoin like Tether is a cash equivalent? poo poo
House of Cards man

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 20, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

1 Cash includes deposits at banks and Government Obligation Money Market Funds. Cash Equivalents are defined as securities with an original maturity less than or equal to 90 days in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (US GAAP).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"""cash equivalents"""

"""""""commercial paper"""""""

"""""""""thin loving air"""""""""

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Of course all this is navel gazing until a licensed auditor actually stamps a report saying "I saw the money with mine own eyes." I kind of doubt this has happened.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Fur20 posted:

im not a nocoiner im just waiting an infinite amount of time for the price to become 0, then i can get all the bitcoin i want

Same but I'm waiting for the price to become negative, so someone will pay me to take them away

drk
Jan 16, 2005

kw0134 posted:

Of course all this is navel gazing until a licensed auditor actually stamps a report saying "I saw the money with mine own eyes." I kind of doubt this has happened.

The report is from Grant Thornton. I am aware an attestation is not an audit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it's basically a press release

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"My client told me it had these assets" is not proof of anything.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

drk posted:

The report is from Grant Thornton. I am aware an attestation is not an audit.

I wonder why they chose Grant Thornton

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mercury_Storm posted:

"""cash equivalents"""

"""""""commercial paper"""""""

"""""""""thin loving air"""""""""
Cash equivalent and commercial paper at least have specific meanings to accountants but Tether has already shown there's accountants willing to push it to the limit with them so ehhhhh.

You can't convince me everything isn't risk secured by itself in the crypto ecosystem without some hard biting audits or history of adhering to even the regulations that exist with advocacy for regulations that should exist.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Karia posted:

Love my dehyrdated strawberries.

the only thing i hate more than strawberries dehydrated w/ unfiltered heat is fiat currency

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Beached Whale posted:

I gotta give the Circle folks credit, they're basically doing an exit scam via SPAC and trying to cash out and leave some other big dumb investors holding the bag before the regulators wake up. Unlike Tether, they kept things appearing just legit enough that they actually have a hope of pulling this off.

drk posted:

It doesn't matter if this breakdown is legit. (Though as folks are pointing out, there's still plenty of reason to stay skeptical.) It doesn't matter if USDCs really are "backed" by quality assets. The entire use case of dollar-backed stablecoins is to avoid AML/KYC laws and regulations, the tokens are just digitized bearer bonds but without any clear and enforceable legal agreement stating so, and all the exchanges trading them are arguably violating American securities exchange laws. It doesn't matter if this reserves report is accurate because USDC (and USDT and every other dollar-backed stablecoin) was created in bad faith. Circle is just a wildcat bank for the internet era.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

It doesn't matter if this breakdown is legit. (Though as folks are pointing out, there's still plenty of reason to stay skeptical.) It doesn't matter if USDCs really are "backed" by quality assets. The entire use case of dollar-backed stablecoins is to avoid AML/KYC laws and regulations, the tokens are just digitized bearer bonds but without any clear and enforceable legal agreement stating so, and all the exchanges trading them are arguably violating American securities exchange laws. It doesn't matter if this reserves report is accurate because USDC (and USDT and every other dollar-backed stablecoin) was created in bad faith. Circle is just a wildcat bank for the internet era.

This is a very good point - there are already plenty of legitimate, secure, easy, and cheap (or free) ways to electronically transfer dollars. USDC in particular is one of the biggest coins used in DeFi, which is... 100% in violation of securities laws (there too, that is the entire point)?

The EU released some proposed rules on implementing the so called "travel rule" for all cryptocurrency wallets today, based on some FATF guidelines. The travel rule essentially says you must know who is sending money to who in order for a transmission of money to be legal. This would absolutely kill the use for stablecoins.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Blotto_Otter posted:

If it isn't interest bearing is it really a digitized bearer bond?

They are basically acting like a bank though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Full BlockFi Cease and Desist Order is out: https://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases21/BlockFi-Cease-and-Desist-Order.pdf

Juicy bit is:

quote:

27. BlockFi then pools these cryptocurrencies together, where according to BlockFi, it (1) reserves a portion of the cryptocurrencies to meet investor withdrawal demands, (2) lends some
or all of the balance to third parties, or (3) purchases equities, options, and futures for its own account. BlockFi uses the revenue from those activities to pay the BIA Investors the agreed-upon
interest rate, and keeps the remainder for itself as profit.

28. BlockFi does not disclose to investors: (a) the amount of money devoted to each of these investment activities; (b) the nature and creditworthiness of the borrowers, as well as the
identity of any borrowers to whom BlockFi has lent material amounts of cryptocurrency; (c) the terms and duration of the loans; (d) the types of equities, options, and futures it trades; or (e) the
profits or losses derived from these activities.

Basically, money goes into black box, and hopefully out comes interest payments. But customers risk a 100% loss for as little as 0.25% interest (on Bitcoin deposits, less than a FDIC insured savings account pays out).

Other states are almost sure to follow up with bans of their own soon, if the SEC doesnt get around to it first.

edit: more context in quote