Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

LadyPictureShow posted:

The local antique fair was this weekend, and I bought some silly stuff as usual.

This lamp is kind of like those ceramic Christmas trees everybody's grandma had.

Snail lady which is a hat pin holder, I just think it's fun.

Congratulations!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the infinity peacock lamp, and congrats on the new wife!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I only remember hearing about this show when it first aired. It was syndicated and none of my local channels carried it. I found the box set at a ridiculously low price on ebay (it's not a bootleg) and figured, why not. It's only 325 episodes, so it'll be a breeze compared to Dark Shadows' 1225 epsiode run I finished a few months ago.

The star, Louise Lasser, is, um, different. She was one of the first people to be banned from hosting SNL (although she's says she wasn't).

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Subjunctive posted:

She said yes!

(The stones on the sides are the birthstones of our respective daughters.)

Congratulations my goon!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

I've got a Japanese Sanyo Kerosene heater from the 80s. Still works great. It's kind of my emergency backup if my electrical goes out and it's also very cold. Which in Texas is basically never.

Several pages back and several months late, but did this help when the “basically never” happened? I’ve been thinking of buying one to keep in my garage ever since that nightmare.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I only remember hearing about this show when it first aired. It was syndicated and none of my local channels carried it. I found the box set at a ridiculously low price on ebay (it's not a bootleg) and figured, why not. It's only 325 episodes, so it'll be a breeze compared to Dark Shadows' 1225 epsiode run I finished a few months ago.

The star, Louise Lasser, is, um, different. She was one of the first people to be banned from hosting SNL (although she's says she wasn't).

This show rules. Enjoy the ride.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Had to get this one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Several pages back and several months late, but did this help when the “basically never” happened? I’ve been thinking of buying one to keep in my garage ever since that nightmare.

It did! But i didn't run it overnight because of CO concerns. During the day it made a dent in the cold, at least in one room.

I've since upgraded my backup supplies to include a 2200 watt propane/nat gas generator so if/when it happens again I can run my houses gas furnace or an electric heater inside. The kerosene is now a backup-backup incase both the natural gas supply fail and I run out of bottled propane.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

It did! But i didn't run it overnight because of CO concerns. During the day it made a dent in the cold, at least in one room.

I've since upgraded my backup supplies to include a 2200 watt propane/nat gas generator so if/when it happens again I can run my houses gas furnace or an electric heater inside. The kerosene is now a backup-backup incase both the natural gas supply fail and I run out of bottled propane.

Any chance you have a link to the generator you chose?

CO is my concern, too, along with the safety of storing kerosene… although I guess storing propane would also be A Thing. I’m guessing it’s the sort of thing you stock up on come November and then dispose of in April when it gets warm again? I have a small house, attached garage.

E: and sorry, I couldn’t help but guffaw when I saw you posted that only a few weeks before hell froze over.

Dicty Bojangles has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Jul 22, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Any chance you have a link to the generator you chose?

CO is my concern, too, along with the safety of storing kerosene… although I guess storing propane would also be A Thing. I’m guessing it’s the sort of thing you stock up on come November and then dispose of in April when it gets warm again? I have a small house, attached garage.

E: and sorry, I couldn’t help but guffaw when I saw you posted that only a few weeks before hell froze over.

Kerosene is pretty safe to store, but propane is even safer. It's the same tank your grill uses (although bigger ones can be purchased as well).

The huge benefit of propane is it doesn't ever go bad unlike gasoline.

The generator I got is a Honda EU2200i with the propane/nat gas modification done by Genconnex. My first one arrived damaged due to the shipping company and Genconnex sent me a replacement with no fuss. Good company in my limited experience.

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda_propane_modified_generators.htm#xl_Xxr_v4_EU2000i

It's important to figure out your desired watts before buying a generator. A normal plug-in electric heater uses 1500 watts, so the EU2200i can run one, but it's towards the high end of what it can do. My houses gas furnace only needs 400 watts to run so running an electric heater off of the generator running on propane would be a plan B if the natural gas supply failed.

E: this generator cannot run an AC unit, you'd need something beefier, but I can power all the ceiling fans in my house and the fridge and more with it which should be enough for a week of insane heat.

It's also worth saying that increasing insulation and other passive measures help a lot too. My house is from 1950 so I'm beefing up what I can.

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jul 22, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Kerosene is pretty safe to store, but propane is even safer. It's the same tank your grill uses (although bigger ones can be purchased as well).

The huge benefit of propane is it doesn't ever go bad unlike gasoline.

The generator I got is a Honda EU2200i with the propane/nat gas modification done by Genconnex. My first one arrived damaged due to the shipping company and Genconnex sent me a replacement with no fuss. Good company in my limited experience.

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda_propane_modified_generators.htm#xl_Xxr_v4_EU2000i

It's important to figure out your desired watts before buying a generator. A normal plug-in electric heater uses 1500 watts, so the EU2200i can run one, but it's towards the high end of what it can do. My houses gas furnace only needs 400 watts to run so running an electric heater off of the generator running on propane would be a plan B if the natural gas supply failed.

E: this generator cannot run an AC unit, you'd need something beefier, but I can power all the ceiling fans in my house and the fridge and more with it which should be enough for a week of insane heat.

It's also worth saying that increasing insulation and other passive measures help a lot too. My house is from 1950 so I'm beefing up what I can.

Ohh. Thanks for sharing this. I ran up against a wall trying to find a small/cheap generator that could do natural gas. Didn’t want to bother with gas units due to the possible inability to get gasoline during a hurricane but still having natural gas service or stored propane tanks.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

lots of good stuff

Thanks! Very informative. Maybe this would be a question for a different thread, and do point me in the direction if so, but how are you connecting it to your furnace/fridge/etc? Lots of extension cords, or can you dovetail it into your house as a whole? And I’m guessing it’s something that needs to be run every once in a while so it doesn’t get rusty sitting on a shelf?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thanks! Very informative. Maybe this would be a question for a different thread, and do point me in the direction if so, but how are you connecting it to your furnace/fridge/etc? Lots of extension cords, or can you dovetail it into your house as a whole? And I’m guessing it’s something that needs to be run every once in a while so it doesn’t get rusty sitting on a shelf?

The various homeownership threads in DIY are usually good places to ask.

Right now I have long extension cords and enough electrical knowledge to splice a plug onto my furnace if needed.

However, for long term I have purchased a generator interconnect and inlet box for my breaker panel that I'm in the process of hooking up. I also plan to add a natural gas outlet out the back of my house to run gas to the generator from.

If you're doing this with a 120v generator like I am, you also want to make sure all 240v breakers are flipped off because with only half the panel being energized by the generator it could cause issues with appliances expecting 240v. This also means you need to make sure that all the breakers you want available in an emergency are on the slots of the panel being energized by the generator.

As far as maintenance. It does have oil in it and should be drained for long term storage or run periodically to keep things in good order.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Plugging a generator into a house system gets into you need to know what you’re doing / talk with an electrician territory. You need transfer switches to disconnect mains service and connect the generator. Don’t ever think about using a male to male extension cord, these can kill linemen.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Oh yeah for sure, I’d never do anything like that myself. I was just wondering if that’s even a possibility with that specific Honda generator. Thanks for the info, y’all, I’ll go poke around DIY for a bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Car ramps

And 230 meters of sawn 2x4 (47x100mm) lumber ordered.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think those are a little small to ramp any car in the air.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

If you're a coward, maybe.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
A delivery on my doorstep, apparently I made some purchases while inebriated a few months ago and they came home to roost.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got one of these to go with my PO-20 Arcade

Gonna tinker with how to sync and output with these things. Apparently it’s not that hard.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tim Whatley posted:

I bought a Remarkable 2 and expensed it so I guess my company bought it. I focus much more when I physically write everything down and some folks in my company use one. It's very cool but a hell of a price tag that is kinda hard to justify.

fyi, for anyone who might have been looking at this - they just sent me a referral link for $40 off

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone in here got recommendations for bedsheet sets? Something on the nicer end in thread count but not as stupid expensive as linen. Crisp, cool, etc.

One of my fitted sheets just decided to rip(???) so I want to upgrade to something not from Target.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Not turning you away but there is a “suggest me a product” thread. I only say that cause I went there specifically for sheets last year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this thread, specifically

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Rolo posted:

Not turning you away but there is a “suggest me a product” thread. I only say that cause I went there specifically for sheets last year.

Ah thanks, I did a quick scan down the threads and must have missed it!

For some content I picked up a cheap solid link bracelet for my Casio diver from Ali, just arrived after about a month:

Spring Heeled Jack has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Jul 27, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bought a record by denim golem John Prine

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Rolo posted:

i made that thread ages ago and never really updated the OP or anything; if someone wants to remake it and care for it then by all means go ahead

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

El Mero Mero posted:

fyi, for anyone who might have been looking at this - they just sent me a referral link for $40 off

I want one so bad, they'd be perfect for the kind of work I do (I have a cheapo e-ink tab that works ok) but there's no way work would expense it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Got a vacuum cleaner finally. I was borrowing my GF's until now.

Works like a champ! I was legit excited to try it lol

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Anyone in here got recommendations for bedsheet sets? Something on the nicer end in thread count but not as stupid expensive as linen. Crisp, cool, etc.

One of my fitted sheets just decided to rip(???) so I want to upgrade to something not from Target.

I have a few sets of Supima cotton 800 thread-count sheets and they're great. Comfortable, crisp, cool in summer and warm in winter. I'd definitely recommend them.

https://linengallery.com.au/amp/supima-cotton-800tc-queen-bed-size-fitted-sheet/

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Wanted something to do cardio at home. Really like this bike, pretty lightweight but still incredibly stable. Also feels very close to regular roadbiking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
More goofy music gadgets, and a case to go with this one cause it’s gonna be goin in the bag from time to time.

It’s already shaping up to be one of my favorite music purchases ever.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

Wanted something to do cardio at home. Really like this bike, pretty lightweight but still incredibly stable. Also feels very close to regular roadbiking.

Concept 2 makes good gear. I have their heavy duty rowing machine and it's solid.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

More goofy music gadgets, and a case to go with this one cause it’s gonna be goin in the bag from time to time.

It’s already shaping up to be one of my favorite music purchases ever.

These things are amazing… it’s hard not to wanna buy more of them

*checks to see if they finally have the OP-1 synth in stock*

drat that got expensive…

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OSU_Matthew posted:

These things are amazing… it’s hard not to wanna buy more of them

*checks to see if they finally have the OP-1 synth in stock*

drat that got expensive…

Yep it’s back in production for a big spicy meatball. If it was still the old price I’d probably have one instead of 3 pocket operators.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, the cost of the OP-1 is a little too steep for me to want to actually spring for it. I want one, but can't justify the price...

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Tim Whatley posted:

I bought a Remarkable 2 and expensed it so I guess my company bought it. I focus much more when I physically write everything down and some folks in my company use one. It's very cool but a hell of a price tag that is kinda hard to justify.

I had forgotten about these things until I saw this post!

It inspired me to pick one up myself to use for books or taking notes in class. Really neat little toy. Looking forward to giving it a proper go once uni starts. :)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A steam juicer, mainly for making cordial, but also apple sauce and apple cordial.