Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Six Feet Under hasn't aged especially gracefully, especially its first two seasons -- the secondary characters are sketched really loosely for most of the first season, and there's this sense of middle-class smarm that ranges from "eye-rolling" to "really unpleasant." There's also this weird pro-life undercurrent and some truly dire B-plots. But the acting is consistently great (can't believe Lauren Ambrose hasn't had more of a career), and the relationships between the members of the Fisher family feel real, complex, and vivid in a way that I haven't seen replicated that often. It was a really good show from that time period that wasn't deeply cynical about humanity. Season 3 is top-tier TV, and yeah, the finale is excellent. I've rewatched it at least five times and only really started to notice the show's flaws on my last rewatch, so I think I've finally grown out of it, but I wish more shows were as interested in exploring some of the questions Six Feet Under was asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sparksbloom posted:

Six Feet Under hasn't aged especially gracefully, especially its first two seasons -- the secondary characters are sketched really loosely for most of the first season, and there's this sense of middle-class smarm that ranges from "eye-rolling" to "really unpleasant." There's also this weird pro-life undercurrent and some truly dire B-plots. But the acting is consistently great (can't believe Lauren Ambrose hasn't had more of a career), and the relationships between the members of the Fisher family feel real, complex, and vivid in a way that I haven't seen replicated that often. It was a really good show from that time period that wasn't deeply cynical about humanity. Season 3 is top-tier TV, and yeah, the finale is excellent. I've rewatched it at least five times and only really started to notice the show's flaws on my last rewatch, so I think I've finally grown out of it, but I wish more shows were as interested in exploring some of the questions Six Feet Under was asking.

Lauren Ambrose (along with Ethan Hawke for The Good Lord Bird and Michael Dorman for For All Mankind) just got robbed of an Emmy nod for Servant. She is killing it on that show. I do agree about season 3 being peak SFU. That season's finale left me floored. I would say it drops in quality some in season 4 thanks to a certain storyline, but the second half of season 5 is also peak SFU.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was such a fanboy that I bought the official Six Feet Under book back when the finale aired (2005!!!). It was like a family scrapbook collection with photos and journal diaries from all the family members. But the best part was it had a few pages of the Charlotte Light and Dark book. I wanted that book to be real. BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Lauren Ambrose (along with Ethan Hawke for The Good Lord Bird and Michael Dorman for For All Mankind) just got robbed of an Emmy nod for Servant. She is killing it on that show. I do agree about season 3 being peak SFU. That season's finale left me floored. I would say it drops in quality some in season 4 thanks to a certain storyline, but the second half of season 5 is also peak SFU.

Yeah, Seasons 3 and 5 are insanely good television.

Season 4 is just tough watching, on purpose. There's an episode which is just designed from the ground up to make you have a bad day, which is part of the whole thematic thing they're doing that season, but it's still not remotely enjoyable.

Mu Zeta posted:

I was such a fanboy that I bought the official Six Feet Under book back when the finale aired (2005!!!). It was like a family scrapbook collection with photos and journal diaries from all the family members. But the best part was it had a few pages of the Charlotte Light and Dark book. I wanted that book to be real. BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK!

Oh poo poo, I remember always wanting a copy of that. Should go and look for ebay copies.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, Seasons 3 and 5 are insanely good television.

Season 4 is just tough watching, on purpose. There's an episode which is just designed from the ground up to make you have a bad day, which is part of the whole thematic thing they're doing that season, but it's still not remotely enjoyable.

Oh poo poo, I remember always wanting a copy of that. Should go and look for ebay copies.

Is the season 4 episode the one where David got kidnapped? That made me uncomfortable as gently caress and was hard to watch.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just finished up Katla. In that vein, does anyone have a list of somewhat similar shows? By similar, I mean an hour long drama series that usually has some sort of big mystery and a great atmosphere that just sucks you in. Dark would be a perfect example of this. I'd also count Lost. The Gift was pretty decent too, at least season 1, but I heard it gets bad. Preferably some kind of supernatural mystery instead of a whodunnit, but I'll consider those if they are really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nwin posted:

Is the season 4 episode the one where David got kidnapped? That made me uncomfortable as gently caress and was hard to watch.

Yeah, That's My Dog.

Impressive that 20 years later it's still got a reputation.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just finished up Katla. In that vein, does anyone have a list of somewhat similar shows? By similar, I mean an hour long drama series that usually has some sort of big mystery and a great atmosphere that just sucks you in. Dark would be a perfect example of this. I'd also count Lost. The Gift was pretty decent too, at least season 1, but I heard it gets bad. Preferably some kind of supernatural mystery instead of a whodunnit, but I'll consider those if they are really good.

Fortitude. 100% the show you want, even if it doesn't seem like that at the start.

That show as loving wild.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 20, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I saw that, IIRC I didn't like the second season at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah I saw that, IIRC I didn't like the second season at all.

Woah, really? That's when it took off for me. Just a wonderfully bananas take on people trying to cope with complete societal collapse. Funny and scary, with an absolutely brutal disregard for the importance of "main" characters.

Uh, have you tried Carnivale then?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I've seen Carnivale. It was really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, I've seen Carnivale. It was really good.

The OA, maybe?

Doesn't have an ending, unfortunately, and a lot of people didn't like the first season finale (though I loved it). I know a few people here were won back by the second season though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Glitch is a very similar show to Katla. It’s pretty interesting to see two shows with such similar premises but that have their own distinct flavor as well. I put it down in S3 and never finished it but the first 2 seasons were good.

The Cliff is a short (4 ep) Icelandic mystery with some supernatural elements although they are more peripheral and it’s mostly a standard murder investigation.

If you are ok with True Detective-y moody mysteries, Trapped is by the folks who did Katla and it’s awesome. Also check out Mystery Road (Australian series).

Highly recommend the OA as well, and I’m assuming you’ve watched Twin Peaks already.

E: the Expanse is hard sci fi but I’d probably lump it in here too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Lodge 49
Dispatches From Elsewhere
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (With Elijah Wood)
Utopia
Patriot
Wayne
Continuum
Colony
The Outsider

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but also good:
American Vandal
Ted Lasso

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Glitch is a very similar show to Katla. It’s pretty interesting to see two shows with such similar premises but that have their own distinct flavor as well. I put it down in S3 and never finished it but the first 2 seasons were good.

Les Revenants (also called Rebound in some markets) is a French show in this subgenre of 'the dead come back but not as zombies but just as they were' with a great atmosphere and supernatural mystery. Season 2 is a bit weaker though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The OA and Les Revenants are the best recs imo. I also love Patriot to death but it’s not really a mystery

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, That's My Dog.

Impressive that 20 years later it's still got a reputation.

I've only read about it and it makes me uncomfortable.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Is Unbreakable Kimmy poo poo (too hard to spell the actual word out) really that good or am I just getting older? Tina Fey does play the race card heavy in everything she does, 30 rock, now this, and other works of hers, but the writing seems pretty consistently good. I feel like its a great show to fall in love with. Ive also been watching the Marvelous Miss Maisel, but I only care about the parents plotline and have a hard time enjoying a scene that isnt revolving around the parents, mainly the two dads.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

kneelbeforezog posted:

Is Unbreakable Kimmy poo poo (too hard to spell the actual word out) really that good or am I just getting older? Tina Fey does play the race card heavy in everything she does, 30 rock, now this, and other works of hers, but the writing seems pretty consistently good. I feel like its a great show to fall in love with. Ive also been watching the Marvelous Miss Maisel, but I only care about the parents plotline and have a hard time enjoying a scene that isnt revolving around the parents, mainly the two dads.

It is a good show, it has flaws but the ratio of jokes to non-jokes is excellent. Also it handles some really dark stuff in a really light and deft way, and I actually really loved Tina Fey's character who appeared in one season too. I don't feel like rewatching it as much as 30 Rock, but it still hits more than it misses.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just finished up Katla. In that vein, does anyone have a list of somewhat similar shows? By similar, I mean an hour long drama series that usually has some sort of big mystery and a great atmosphere that just sucks you in.

The Leftovers is by far my favorite of the Big Mystery TV Drama genre.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks guys, I've seen most of those but there are a few I haven't. I think I'll start with Lodge 49.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Leftovers and Watchmen for sure

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If you haven't seen True Detective season 1, you absolutely must. I think it's the best season of tv ever made, and fits your parameters pretty closely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

If you haven't seen True Detective season 1, you absolutely must. I think it's the best season of tv ever made, and fits your parameters pretty closely.

Season 2 has too many characters and suffers for not committing to fewer storylines. it's skippable. Season 3 has Mehersali Ali acting up a loving storm, and a plot that's almost as good as Season 1. If season 3 came first, the show would still be beloved, and S2 would still be a disappointment.

Season 2 rightly gets a lot of flak, but we aren't saying it isn't good. It's not very good, certainly isn't great, and is absolutely overshadowed by the other two seasons, but there some good stuff in there. All of the storylines have some meat on the bones, and they're good bones, but none of them really satisfy. It's hard to describe, obviously. S2 was always going to be compared to S1 - one of the very best single seasons of TV ever. It does have problems and suffers from structural issues with the plot(s), but on its own it be getting praise for being a high concept crime drama that just didn't nail the landing(s). 7 or 7.5, decide for yourself if that's worth your time.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 21, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

some people dont like true detective season 1 imagine that

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

up to season 5 of the Americans and still lovin' it.

one thing I like is the opening titles and music that's so dramatic it's almost stressful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5lCYHqJbo

sad question
May 30, 2020

Finished S1 of Carnival Row. Not bad. Was a bit surprised to learn that season 2 was greenlit since it's been a long time since first season. I guess covid slowed them down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sad question posted:

Finished S1 of Carnival Row. Not bad. Was a bit surprised to learn that season 2 was greenlit since it's been a long time since first season. I guess covid slowed them down.

Amazon's got a very rigid release strategy too, which is part of the reason behind the delays.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sparksbloom posted:

I get what you mean about the class politics - they own the house and have inherited the business and there's a great deal of the characters being free to do whatever because of their huge safety net, but in a way that is never really explored or acknowledged in the show except very occasionally via Federico.

I rewatched it a year or so ago though and didn't feel like there was a pro-life undercurrent at all though.

I still don't know how I feel about the more shocking bits of season 4. Not just That's My Dog, but the way the missing person storyline gets wrapped up - all feels like a bit of a misfire. The final season is an absolute return to form though.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

up to season 5 of the Americans and still lovin' it.

one thing I like is the opening titles and music that's so dramatic it's almost stressful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5lCYHqJbo
Did you notice the title gets slightly longer as the seasons progressed to account for new main characters?

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

I rewatched it a year or so ago though and didn't feel like there was a pro-life undercurrent at all though.

I’m thinking of Nate having visions of the “children” he would have had, if he hadn’t urged his exes to have abortions, culminating in ghost child saying “I know the secret to everything, but you killed me.” Then there’s Claire’s abortion which also results in her seeing a vision of her dead baby, and Russell yelling at her for killing his kid in a way she didn’t respond to. The whole last season plot with Nate wanting Brenda to have an abortion feels a little out of the pro-life playbook too.

I think any of these things on their own would be character moments, as opposed to a mark on the show, but all of them together feels a little regressive.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Finished watching the first half of Leverage Redemption. A few clunky episodes but overall it's good and the new cast members are integrated nicely. If you liked Leverage, you'll like this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Selachian posted:

Finished watching the first half of Leverage Redemption. A few clunky episodes but overall it's good and the new cast members are integrated nicely. If you liked Leverage, you'll like this.

Leverage kicks rear end.

I wasn't really feeling the Noah Wyle character, though. He always seemed like he was kind of just....there.

But I'm a huge fan of the original show and there was enough here to make me like it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Season 2 has too many characters and suffers for not committing to fewer storylines. it's skippable. Season 3 has Mehersali Ali acting up a loving storm, and a plot that's almost as good as Season 1. If season 3 came first, the show would still be beloved, and S2 would still be a disappointment.

Season 2 rightly gets a lot of flak, but we aren't saying it isn't good. It's not very good, certainly isn't great, and is absolutely overshadowed by the other two seasons, but there some good stuff in there. All of the storylines have some meat on the bones, and they're good bones, but none of them really satisfy. It's hard to describe, obviously. S2 was always going to be compared to S1 - one of the very best single seasons of TV ever. It does have problems and suffers from structural issues with the plot(s), but on its own it be getting praise for being a high concept crime drama that just didn't nail the landing(s). 7 or 7.5, decide for yourself if that's worth your time.

I think the problem with season 2 was that everyone saw how much attention McDonough got so everyone took their lead from him and tried to be the Ruston of the show. Ruston worked so well because he was paired with Woody Harrelson. 4 people all trying to do the same role gets old fast.

Colin Farrell is the best TD character in the whole series, however. I could watch hime beat up a child or do cocaine and watch Friends for an entire season.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sparksbloom posted:

I’m thinking of Nate having visions of the “children” he would have had, if he hadn’t urged his exes to have abortions, culminating in ghost child saying “I know the secret to everything, but you killed me.” Then there’s Claire’s abortion which also results in her seeing a vision of her dead baby, and Russell yelling at her for killing his kid in a way she didn’t respond to. The whole last season plot with Nate wanting Brenda to have an abortion feels a little out of the pro-life playbook too.

I think any of these things on their own would be character moments, as opposed to a mark on the show, but all of them together feels a little regressive.

In my experience those are all super common reactions to having an abortion, and I can imagine those kinds of feelings of guilt would only be heightened during the time when this series was made and set. I didn't come away from it on my rewatch feeling like the series itself was anti-abortion - I just think that most people who go through an abortion can feel super conflicted, especially if they've had any kind of religious upbringing. I thought the series handled that stuff well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We're halfway through S4 of Halt and Catch Fire now and it's basically

S1: This Joe guy is amazing, wait no maybe he sucks
S2: Yeah no he definitely sucks but so does Cameron
S3: Everyone but Donna and Bos sucks
S4: Actually Donna and Bos suck too

It's a very good show

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
yeah the H&CF character whiplash is great

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Two episodes into Schmigadoon.....not super impressive. Feels lazily written and not all that funny. Kind of let down. Was expecting better than "fine".

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm halfway through season 1 of Evil and lol at not firing grandma the second after she loses all the children in a graveyard. Are babysitters really that expensive?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

I used to live in the town they did that show; while very nice, I think it is humorous enough to mention that the high bridge and the straight with the wind turbines are actually highways away from the metropolitan area in to the rural. So almost every time he is given a case, he jumps to a car and drives away fast. :D

Also, one of the doors at the university he visit on a later episode and uses is a door to a cleaning closet. So instead of going in to interview suspects after getting more information, he goes to hide in a closet.

I know that this is perfectly normal stuff for cinematic reasons and also Wallander suffers from the same stuff. (Ystad is really, really small place).

Hah! That's great :D Yeah I noticed those areas pop up a lot (like whenever he talks to Lena it's always at dawn/dusk by their cars at a location near the wind turbines, for example) so that's funny to know.

Also, as a side-note - is it weird that my dog is actually really interested in Bordertown? Like, he sleeps through other shows (unless a dog's barking, etc. obviously) but he seems to always perk up and watch the TV when there's a long convo in Finnish. (Which is quite often, obviously. Seems to be during a lot of Paulina's convos. Odd that something can keep him focused/not sleeping for so long, seeing as he's a lazy pup!)

Funny, funny dog. Here he is, rugged-up and lounging under my arm/by my side, while watching the show. Makes me wonder if his old racing trainer ever spoke Finnish to him, or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished Devs. I liked the philosophical stuff, disliked almost every music choice, and don't understand Katie's motivation.