Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep confusing william burroughs and edgar rice burroughs.

Spare rear end annie of mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

ALL OF THEM! Jaelunji: has very kindly sent be a file which I’ll review in my laptop in the morning.

Thanks. I did think of pull down menus/lookups (and I could find an old one to refresh my memory) but I want to see all the potential combinations at once.

Done you an even better version that doesn't need manually generated string or pivot table. And all without having to add-in the not free xlstat.
Better tell me if Sheet3 doesn't appear because I forgot to close the file before uploading it!

ed: I've done an even more improved version this morning (20th) but won't send it unless you want me to as I'm sure your excel skills are sufficient to do the same if you want! (just changed some of the values to formulae).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 20, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I take it you're referring to William Burroughs?
I think I read Naked Lunch back in my 20s but I don't remember much about it.
Yup, he was an heir to their typewriter fortune and spent much of it using a typewriter to construct various obscenities. Also same

Guavanaut posted:

I read that years ago and I cannot remember anything about it.

It's a book that slides off the brain somehow, and yet inspired a ton of pop culture, including the band Steely Dan and the UK sci-fi magazine Interzone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually I think if you add william/edgar burroughs together you just get the guy who wrote Gor.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apparently a bunch of the manuscript pages got mixed up on the way to the printer and he just went 'ehh, gently caress it.'

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently a bunch of the manuscript pages got mixed up on the way to the printer and he just went 'ehh, gently caress it.'

I know you can't be referring to any upcoming Labour manifesto, for the all thy pages be blank.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Settle in for a century of plague and you won't be disappointed imo

Humans: we've got this sorted, we didn't have vaccines before

Viruses: we've got this sorted, we didn't have aeroplanes before

Non Brit lurker I like to keep up on the news in the UK (and this is the best thread in D&D) and I’m quoting this so I can find it and steal it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

is this good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Naked Lunch (novel)<Naked Lunch (film)<this radio documentary about Burroughs narrated by Iggy Pop

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/546/transcript

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Christ

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1417368847833837581?s=21

It was a mistake to teach stupid people about life expectancy

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Get Covid, live longer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1417378314977751050?s=19

George Monbiot's one of the good 'uns.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Looke posted:

Get Covid, live longer

If the wrong right wingers talking head utters those words, millions will die.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looke posted:

Get Covid, live longer

It's the sort of shite you'd expect to hear down the pub. Turns out it's also the basis if national policy and pandemic response.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Noxville posted:

Christ

"I no longer buy all this nhs overwhelmed stuff"

what the actual gently caress you have access to all the actual data around it for CHRISTS SAKE

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

Christ

Boris should have died to teach the world a life lesson in hubris. Also just in general.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just realized that noone under the age of 35 45* will even have been alive for the summer of 1976 with the high temps and the droughts!

*corrected by Imagineer...

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 20, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just realized that noone under the age of 35 will even have been alive for the summer of 1976 with the high temps and the droughts!

Wait til you realise that was 45 years ago!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just realized that noone under the age of 35 will even have been alive for the summer of 1976 with the high temps and the droughts!

And all the dead elms

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought that was 1977? Literally the only things I remember about that summer were that I had a Silver Jubilee T-shirt and that it was hotter than hell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Bassam_Khawaja/status/1416989567467630593

Here's a good thread on privatisation of buses and how it failed spectacularly for everyone but the people who own the buses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait til you realise that was 45 years ago!

Oh yeah LOL
I blame having only had 3 hours sleep.....
(not because of the heat but because of having to let the roof menders in early!)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just daydreaming here but I wish rich people's heads would fall off

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:toot:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

I thought that was 1977? Literally the only things I remember about that summer were that I had a Silver Jubilee T-shirt and that it was hotter than hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

I just looked up 1977 and I had forgotten this:

11 July
Gay News found guilty of blasphemous libel in a case (Whitehouse v. Lemon) brought on behalf of Mary Whitehouse's National Viewers and Listeners Association.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehouse_v_Lemon

Something to wave in the faces of people who claim only 'backwards muslim countries' have blasphemy laws when England & Wales only abolished them in 2008 and Scotland THIS YEAR!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not even sure that England & Wales has abolished the blasphemy laws, they just extended them to cover all religions 'equally', something that Freethinkers have warned since the 1880s would not only be paradoxical and impossible but would only compound the problems of blasphemy laws.

James Fitzjames Stephen posted:

If the law were really impartial and punished blasphemy only because it offends the feelings of believers, it ought also to punish such preaching as offends the feelings of unbelievers. All the more earnest and enthusiastic forms of religion are extremely offensive to those who do not believe them.

It did end the farcical situation where you could not claim damages when a vicar insulted Islam but if you turned around and said the exact same words about Christianity you could be prosecuted for blasphemy, but the law as Blair's government kept originally trying to pass it was pretty lol.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

Christ

I’m not surprised. Boris is a man who fundamentally believes that everything is okay. Because in his incredibly privileged life, it always has been. In fact, it’s a large part of his appeal - we live in a collapsing world, but the man in charge doesn’t look bothered in the slightest, so maybe we don’t? It’s inevitable that through this whole crisis he would repeatedly reach points where he decided that it was all hype over nothing, and it’s over now anyway, regardless of how clearly that wasn’t the case.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The computers in Jurassic Park are (mostly) SGI workstations running IRIX, of the kind ILM were using to render the big CG T-Rex at the same time.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Bassam_Khawaja/status/1416989567467630593

Here's a good thread on privatisation of buses and how it failed spectacularly for everyone but the people who own the buses.

I know first-hand how everything in this report is spot on. In the ten years I've been working at my current job I've seen the buses going from serving the area every 15 minutes, to every 25 minutes and now every 30 minutes. Also the bus fleet is all terrible, all the buses that are too worn out and lovely for Cardiff and Swansea get handed down to our area so there's a decent amount of breakdowns and missed services. Despite getting less and less convenient as the years go on they still bump the price up on bus fare every year, like clockwork. But hey, over the last couple of years they replaced all the tatty fabric seats with the worst kind of pleather that you end up sticking too as soon as there's any heat. So that's an improvement...?

Yeah, British buses outside of London suck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Stagecoach cut the one bus going from Chesterfield to their own Supertram stop, which was already once an hour. Said it wasn’t used enough but they won’t increase the number of bus during rush hour. Utter bastards, the whole point of public transport is that the companies get the prime money making slots in exchange for running a few quiet rural buses.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

learnincurve posted:

the whole point of public transport is that the companies get the prime money making slots in exchange for running a few quiet rural buses.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Creamfilled posted:

Yeah, British buses outside of London suck.

This is also true of trains, it's a total piss take. love to pay more and more every year for a worse and worse service.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not even sure that England & Wales has abolished the blasphemy laws, they just extended them to cover all religions 'equally', something that Freethinkers have warned since the 1880s would not only be paradoxical and impossible but would only compound the problems of blasphemy laws.

It did end the farcical situation where you could not claim damages when a vicar insulted Islam but if you turned around and said the exact same words about Christianity you could be prosecuted for blasphemy, but the law as Blair's government kept originally trying to pass it was pretty lol.

prosecuting every idiot that feels it necessary to actually show the charlie hebdo cover in a classroom, with a slap on the wrist and a public telling off, would be an excellent harm reduction idea

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol rip.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1417420588021436428

lol tasty

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is probably bad for the Jam Man. He'll get the blame, despite Labour had no need to give those big payouts to those disingenous folk.

I see in the thread for that tweet someone is blaming the festival (and jezza) despite Jezza didn't want the wretched thing anyway. I don't remember whose idea it was.
And in any case the collapse in finances happened AFTER Starmer became Minister for Agreeing with Boris

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 20, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

haha yikes

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

ahh, feels good to have the adults in charge again

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Money lost on settling in the antisemitism cases (That Labour were likely to win) is payments in the hundreds of thousands.

The lost membership and Union money is in the Millions a month. This is 100% down to The Adults being in charge again and having absolutely no clue how to raise funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The chat has moved on from avatars in games but I’m reminded of 1994 sci-if crime thriller Burn:Cycle, where at the end (spoilers!) the main characters body gets murdered, and he gets put into the body of a lady instead. This was presented as an unambiguously good ending, which on reflection was very progressive for the time. I remember it being a really good game - I assume someone will be along shortly to disabuse me of that notion.