Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

gonna be honest i don't think that's a terribly good reason to send a child into battle

i don't really care for the specific issue OP has with that specific show but this has been a really weird conversation to watch unfold where people keep saying this in response to a question that it really doesn't answer well

Friendship confers an objective benefit in the world of J-Decker the same way shouting about courage does in GaoGaiGar. Therefore having a kid who is every robot's best friend is an asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: nah i don't care

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd say it's really deeper than that and J-Decker is about the ways we can use technology to make our lives happier and better if we put love and care and thought into technology, but I also haven't finished the show yet so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it's also a show featuring Power Joe the Kung Fu Robot Detective, so I think ultimately the writers just want people to have fun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The issue really is that the original question is wanting a Watsonian answer and everyone is giving Doylist answers

Don't really see how "The robots love him and want him there" is a Doylist answer tbh.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Droyer posted:

Don't really see how "The robots love him and want him there" is a Doylist answer tbh.

I meant more the replies about it being a kid's show

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Like, I'm not a fan of children protagonists in action series either, but Mamoru has the heart of a hero and never does the thing children do in fiction with adult protagonists where they put others in unnecessary danger for childish reasons. I don't want to rag on the poster too but, man, Mamoru did nothing wrong.

ngl i laughed

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Mamoru is a great child character, if only for "FIGHT ME, PRIMEVALS" alone.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Plus he grows up to pilot GaoGaiGo, so he's cool in my book

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot there's a new getter from this past Sunday. Hype!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man I should have gotten the Messer. It was so cool in the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man I should have gotten the Messer. It was so cool in the movie.

I liked the part where they shot up a city and people died.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the part where they shot up a city and people died.

This is Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beware of falling shell casings

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

been doing a wing rewatch with a friend seeing it for the first time. we're currently in the sanc kingdom arc and her take on it has been "this is like watching a fanfiction but it was written into the show. they're all in a high school AU and the fanfic's author put in a self insert that's richer than releena"

EDIT: oops this was supposed to go in the gundam thread but i guess this is fine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would not call dorothy a self-insert unless that self is an amazing deranged lesbian.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorothy is the self I wish I was

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I self insert as general septum

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I self insert as general septum

I have just one question, then.

Are you talking about our soldiers or are you talking about Mobile Suits?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/kyoukai_senki/status/1417710934454272004?s=19

a preview of kyoukai senki's first episode is up. goofy mascots but also seeming like a pretty standard war/rebellion story? it's strange

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

a preview of kyoukai senki's first episode is up. goofy mascots but also seeming like a pretty standard war/rebellion story? it's strange

Apparently, one of the big reasons this show exists is so Sunrise can keep traditional mech animation alive.

Might be unfair, but I suspect the premise is basically taking a bunch of marketable plot components (Code Geass and mascot animals, at minimum) for a quick show that should sell enough model kits to cover the expenses of the show and the animator training. Any artistic or thematic merit is a secondary concern.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Goofy mascots already put it above Buddy Complex in my book

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the goat legs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I have just one question, then.

Are you talking about our soldiers or are you talking about Mobile Suits?

ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME DAMMIT!?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps he was wondering why Lady Une would shoot a man after throwing him out of a plane?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

GorfZaplen posted:

Goofy mascots already put it above Buddy Complex in my book

God everything about Buddy Complex other than the time stuff is bland as gently caress

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Willo567 posted:

God everything about Buddy Complex other than the time stuff is bland as gently caress

The time stuff the entire point of the show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps he was wondering why Lady Une would shoot a man after throwing him out of a plane?

So, who paid you to grab Doctor J?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

It's written by Noboru Kimura, who also did Gundam Build Divers. Don't get your hopes too high.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Darth Walrus posted:

It's written by Noboru Kimura, who also did Gundam Build Divers. Don't get your hopes too high.

Yellow shirt dude's face reminds me of Riku's too so I'm out barring reports it's actually good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arc cut out Kongming 😭

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Komei's there. His color scheme and VA are different than what I was expecting though.

The Lu Bu-like guy Toenkoh jobbed way harder than he did in the manga and I was hoping he would stick around a little.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't think that's Komei, I think that's the old guy with a bug for a hat that we've seen so far. It's hard to tell anyway since all these guys only showed up for two pages in the manga anyway

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, they're different characters? For what it's worth, Komei has a VA listed on Wikipedia. I don't think they'd cut Komei just cause he's one of like two standout villains from the manga.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh drat he is bug hat guy

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I started watching Galactic Cyclone Braiger and it's honestly really enjoyable. I might only be one for three on watching shows because I liked them in SRW (Dancouga, Layzner), but hey, it's a start. The music is really good, the characters bounce off of each other in a fun way, and I think that having that fun aspect makes dealing with the darker subject material a lot easier to handle. Because whoo baby, I guess war crimes are in style in the wild 22nd century. And of course, that OP loving slaps and I never skip it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I started watching Galactic Cyclone Braiger and it's honestly really enjoyable. I might only be one for three on watching shows because I liked them in SRW (Dancouga, Layzner), but hey, it's a start. The music is really good, the characters bounce off of each other in a fun way, and I think that having that fun aspect makes dealing with the darker subject material a lot easier to handle. Because whoo baby, I guess war crimes are in style in the wild 22nd century. And of course, that OP loving slaps and I never skip it.

Braiger is great! It's setup allows a really diverse amount of stories and you're never quite sure whether an episode will bring Lupin style caper fun or J9 racking up an insane bodycount on dirty corrupt cops. There's a reason it was the must-watch anime of its time among early otaku!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Logicblade posted:

My favorite episode is the one where the two tag along kidsget revenge on the guy who killed their parents. Especially when he begs for mercy, then tries to shoot them but is stopped by Kidd, and the kids shooting the fucker while the girl shouts "No more mercy!"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well, you certainly sold me on the show.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Logicblade posted:

I’ve wanted to watch that since the alpha gaiden lp, is there a good place to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Willo567 posted:

My favorite episode is the one where the two tag along kidsget revenge on the guy who killed their parents. Especially when he begs for mercy, then tries to shoot them but is stopped by Kidd, and the kids shooting the fucker while the girl shouts "No more mercy!"

This is one of the best, for sure.