Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Masks have slowly transitioned out of my day to day, but flying masked will likely be a part of package going forward, even if just to avoid normal colds and other icky stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

No Safe Word posted:

Also, not that anybody really cares about Biedermann but maybe he's the first of many:
The only Biederman worth caring about is Felix :colbert:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Jiro posted:

Same, and also hearing reports of people getting main strain AND Delta variant at the same time sorta freaks me out. Gonna just get a diver's helmet with an oxygen hose attached using a ton of filters to head to HEB next time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Haven't seen a mask in HEB in a while now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I went to HEB on Sunday and hardly anyone was wearing a mask except for the employees. I think I was the only non-old person who was wearing a mask.

For my household it feels kind of pointless to wear masks anymore, my wife's employer is requiring her to be in-person full time, and she works with the public, and my kid is in daycare. In fact my wife and I are both suffering from some kind of respiratory illness, but we went out for COVID tests this weekend and it's not that thank goodness. I'm still going to be wearing a mask in public for the foreseeable future but it also feels like I'm going to get COVID anyway. We're both fully vaccinated at least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1417479623911301139

I'd probably wait to see how this whole thing shakes out before I ran on it, and I also probably wouldn't use my time in DC when I'm supposed to be lobbying congress to star in and shoot a campaign launch video. I know that they're mostly just sitting in their hotel rooms at this point but this whole thing is about optics and this doesn't seem like good optics to me.

The only things I know about Michelle Beckley is that Bonnen called her "disgusting" on The Tape and this thing from this year's best/worst list

Frisbee, you know what this is referring to?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1417479623911301139

I'd probably wait to see how this whole thing shakes out before I ran on it, and I also probably wouldn't use my time in DC when I'm supposed to be lobbying congress to star in and shoot a campaign launch video. I know that they're mostly just sitting in their hotel rooms at this point but this whole thing is about optics and this doesn't seem like good optics to me.

The only things I know about Michelle Beckley is that Bonnen called her "disgusting" on The Tape and this thing from this year's best/worst list

Frisbee, you know what this is referring to?

I remember her being more blunt on the floor. She is not polite at all and poses herself as fairly combative towards Republicans (and Democrats to some extent). Also doesn't really work the House floor, stays at her desk, hasn't passed a bill yet. The only reason I know much about her is because a close colleague worked for her and she was very erratic and abusive towards staff. The colleague figured Beckley would run for the seat basically the second the seat opened up. Less of a reflection on all the House Dems, more reflective of what Beckley is like.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Texas delegation caused the Democrats' own version of the Rose Garden superspreader event

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1417494311810306060

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I remember her being more blunt on the floor. She is not polite at all and poses herself as fairly combative towards Republicans (and Democrats to some extent). Also doesn't really work the House floor, stays at her desk, hasn't passed a bill yet. The only reason I know much about her is because a close colleague worked for her and she was very erratic and abusive towards staff. The colleague figured Beckley would run for the seat basically the second the seat opened up. Less of a reflection on all the House Dems, more reflective of what Beckley is like.

I don't have much personal experience with her besides seeing her at events and talking to her on the phone as a constituent (in which case she's cordial, of course). She bashed her head into every election (Carrollton Mayor, Council, dog catcher...) until she finally won HD65. She doesn't seem to work well with her own county party - she has insane Karen energy and has made some racially charged remarks that completely turned the Young Democrats against her, so that probably hampers her ability to get volunteers. In the last election cycle they backed a primary challenger against her. She's also pissed off or failed to make friends with local municipal-level politicians so she can't count on their endorsement either.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Kunabomber posted:

I don't have much personal experience with her besides seeing her at events and talking to her on the phone as a constituent (in which case she's cordial, of course). She bashed her head into every election (Carrollton Mayor, Council, dog catcher...) until she finally won HD65. She doesn't seem to work well with her own county party - she has insane Karen energy and has made some racially charged remarks that completely turned the Young Democrats against her, so that probably hampers her ability to get volunteers. In the last election cycle they backed a primary challenger against her. She's also pissed off or failed to make friends with local municipal-level politicians so she can't count on their endorsement either.

Pretty much this. I don't recall meeting anyone who really liked her when talking with the local groups.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

The Texas delegation caused the Democrats' own version of the Rose Garden superspreader event

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1417494311810306060

This isn't going great

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well at least "Give us our voting protections or we'll keep coming back and infecting everyone" is a better negotiation plan than the TX Democrats had originally.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
beckley sucks

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Well at least "Give us our voting protections or we'll keep coming back and infecting everyone" is a better negotiation plan than the TX Democrats had originally.

Pulling the Foul Ole Ron, even unintentionally, was probably the best bet they had anyways.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1417550727430422530?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you want me to explain why that's a huge misunderstanding based on the arcana of the drafting of legislation or do you just wanna go on thinking that's exactly what they did so you can be mad about it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
As that's what every article I've read has said is occurring (there is no requirement to teach the KKK as morally wrong in SB3 asthe requirement was removed from HB3979) sure, knock yourself out defending them zoux. I won't even make fun of you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is an easy one but I get why it makes people think that.

Ok here's SB 3 - which is modifying HB 3979, which was passed so shortly ago that I think they're changing it before it even becomes law. Let's look at it.

Wow look at all that stuff that's crossed out. And yep, there's the KKK thing too. The thing is, none of this stuff was ever actually in statute to begin with, because curriculum is determined by the SBOE and TEA, and is called the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, or TEKS. That's what determines what's taught in schools, not statute. All that language there comes from a amendment added during the debate on 3979 to try and dare House Republicans to vote against it. They didn't take the bait (because this isn't about preventing racism being taught in schools, it's about creating a media firestorm about CRT, so they don't really care what is taught and what isn't) so it went on by an overwhelming margin. The Senate R's tried to do the same thing with the defund the police bill in that chamber, daring Dems to vote against the extremely popular position of funding the police, but again they didn't take the bait and it passed by an overwhelming margin. It was trying to get a "VOTED AGAINST TEACHING MARTIN LUTHER KING IN SCHOOLS" bullet point on a campaign mailer.

What SB 3 does is strike those hastily thrown together history topics (there are no extant writings of Sally Hemings, for example, so you would have state law directing teachers to teach stuff that literally doesn't exist) and delegate the curriculum back to TEA. In fact this line appear multiple times in the bill

It's blue because it hyperlinks to existing law. So, what does the current TEKS say about teaching about the KKK?

From the civil rights section for US History:

Because the style of legislative writing is to strike through language, there was a really lazy visual of "MLK's Ideas" for people to get outraged about but, as I've been saying this whole time, nothing in this bill is going to change classroom instruction at all. It's a fake thing that both Republicans and Democrats are using to rile up their base.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 20, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I still remember when my history teacher on 9/11 made the only Muslim student in our class apologize for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, people are all up arms about this like teachers are rote automatons but we all have that coach-teaching-geography-class story about how he said all men prefer virgins or that Hitler wasn’t all bad, that poo poo sure aint on the staar exam

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The point is that it would embolden and give yet more regulatory or procedural leverage to the same broke-brained folk that hoot and hollered about EVILution in Biology class or the satanic influence of Harry Potter creeping out of school libraries. They'll hope to endlessly bombard school administrators and bureaucrats in hopes of overwhelming them enough to make them yield to the lunatics just so they don't have to listen to them anymore and/or fear for their lives.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
A lot of optimism up there, man. My experience has been that if txlege signals their preferences to a state agency, the state agency follows their lead out of fear of losing funding the next session. You can say technically SBoE can make their own decisions, but they’ll see that and follow txlege’s lead. Putting stuff in statute, or taking it out, has a big influence on what happens at the regulatory level. Hence why a lot of bills get passed that TECHNICALLY could have been done at the agency level - you needed legislative sign off before the state agency would take the risk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you want to open the door to writing curriculum via statue, who do you think wins in the long run there.

And it's not optimism, it's literally the status quo.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

As that's what every article I've read has said is occurring (there is no requirement to teach the KKK as morally wrong in SB3 asthe requirement was removed from HB3979) sure, knock yourself out defending them zoux. I won't even make fun of you.

zoux posted:

This is an easy one but I get why it makes people think that.

Ok here's SB 3 - which is modifying HB 3979, which was passed so shortly ago that I think they're changing it before it even becomes law. Let's look at it.

Wow look at all that stuff that's crossed out. And yep, there's the KKK thing too. The thing is, none of this stuff was ever actually in statute to begin with, because curriculum is determined by the SBOE and TEA, and is called the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, or TEKS. That's what determines what's taught in schools, not statute. All that language there comes from a amendment added during the debate on 3979 to try and dare House Republicans to vote against it. They didn't take the bait (because this isn't about preventing racism being taught in schools, it's about creating a media firestorm about CRT, so they don't really care what is taught and what isn't) so it went on by an overwhelming margin. The Senate R's tried to do the same thing with the defund the police bill in that chamber, daring Dems to vote against the extremely popular position of funding the police, but again they didn't take the bait and it passed by an overwhelming margin. It was trying to get a "VOTED AGAINST TEACHING MARTIN LUTHER KING IN SCHOOLS" bullet point on a campaign mailer.

What SB 3 does is strike those hastily thrown together history topics (there are no extant writings of Sally Hemings, for example, so you would have state law directing teachers to teach stuff that literally doesn't exist) and delegate the curriculum back to TEA. In fact this line appear multiple times in the bill

It's blue because it hyperlinks to existing law. So, what does the current TEKS say about teaching about the KKK?

From the civil rights section for US History:

Because the style of legislative writing is to strike through language, there was a really lazy visual of "MLK's Ideas" for people to get outraged about but, as I've been saying this whole time, nothing in this bill is going to change classroom instruction at all. It's a fake thing that both Republicans and Democrats are using to rile up their base.

drat, this was quite the fatality, and very informative to boot. thank you zoux. i think captain monkey owes you a public apology.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The reporting on this has been atrocious, it's no surprise one would come to that conclusion. I'm just trying to be informative. I don’t think it's a good bill or anything, I think the bill is besides the point. The fight is the point, but the problem is that one party is going around telling everyone that this bill will put thought police in every classroom and the other one is going around and insisting that it absolutely does not do that. If the biggest danger of this bill is a chilling effect, which party is contributing most to that?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/lpoem/status/1417853549493489667

Fun times in ChemicalPlantLand today.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

drat, this was quite the fatality, and very informative to boot. thank you zoux. i think captain monkey owes you a public apology.

you're new 'round here, huh?

anyway, yeah that was real informative zoux, good job!

That said, I still think you're ignoring or hoping again the knock on effects as a couple other posters pointed out. It's as much about the messaging war as it is about the actual legislation, because as you made clear, it's actually pretty difficult to distill out the effects of the legislation based on the reporting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, that happens the second the bill is filed. That's why CRT was back on the menu this time around, it was already maximally banned under 3979, you couldn't ban it anymore than it was banned. Abbott put it back on there because he wants that bill in the news, it riles up his base going into a tricky primary season. Like, the only changes I think are a cleanup of that one amendment and creating a training program for teachers on how to talk about sensitive current events issues. That's it. It's totally about the fight. It got swallowed up this session because there was no fight over it, since the House was doing no business and the Senate only had 4 Dems on hand. Next session it'll be back, we'll do the whole song and dance again, there will be articles about how it's making it illegal to acknowledge racism and viral tweets about Texas Racism because everyone hates Texas and oh, isn't that just exactly what Texas would do, make it illegal to say the KKK existed *sips some sort of liberal yankee brunch drink*

If there was no fight, if prominent D's were like - this is bullshit, it doesn't do anything, it's just a political stunt - instead of going to the mattresses over it, reporters couldn't get their little "But Critics Contend That" quotes, but of course D's are just as happy to have the fight because it gets their base all riled up. I'm not ignoring the messaging effects, I'm saying making a big media fight about it is what's going to cause any chilling effects, not anything that is in black and white on paper in the bill

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1417945806561325057

Man if this stuff actually passes this session...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

you're new 'round here, huh?

anyway, yeah that was real informative zoux, good job!

That said, I still think you're ignoring or hoping again the knock on effects as a couple other posters pointed out. It's as much about the messaging war as it is about the actual legislation, because as you made clear, it's actually pretty difficult to distill out the effects of the legislation based on the reporting.

That and Zoux makes this argument a lot about bad Republican bills - that none of them ever do anything meaningfully bad. I think arguing that it's a political stunt each time makes it easier for Republicans to do actual harm.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

That and Zoux makes this argument a lot about bad Republican bills - that none of them ever do anything meaningfully bad. I think arguing that it's a political stunt each time makes it easier for Republicans to do actual harm.

Yeah, I like zoux even if I tease him for being a centrist from time to time, but he gives some passes that I disagree with. And sometimes he doesn't seem to realize that just because the bill is technically meaningless, doesn't mean that it won't have negative effects or embolden people with its rhetoric.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Plenty of them do bad stuff, but those are the ones that don't get any press because they do bad stuff in boring hard to understand parts of the code.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

any property tax cut is a million times more devastating than these performative bills

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

any property tax cut is a million times more devastating than these performative bills

Or just the annual budget, or refusing to expand medicaid or privatizing DFPS. Do you know how hosed our CPS system is right now? Of course not, because it's boring and sad and no one wants to read about it.

https://twitter.com/efindell/status/1417968144623210503

Those are absolutely bonkers numbers

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, I like zoux even if I tease him for being a centrist from time to time, but he gives some passes that I disagree with. And sometimes he doesn't seem to realize that just because the bill is technically meaningless, doesn't mean that it won't have negative effects or embolden people with its rhetoric.

I'm not even sure they're technically meaningless so much as the GOP is just super effective at downplaying their harms and making it look like "both sides politics". And I totally agree, Zoux, that these aren't THE MOST consequential bills of all the nightmare legislation that makes it through, or as consequential as the poo poo leadership won't touch, like Medicaid expansion or fixing the grid. I mostly live in the health and social service policy realm. I still think these bills are consequential and worth fighting.

My pet rage txlege issue is actually the Alternatives 2 Abortion program and the fact that we increase its budget by millions and millions every single session without any proof that it actually helps anyone, then we tell actual programs to help moms and babies that we don't have a penny to spare. Definitely wish people were fighting that one harder - its budget increase happened this year without any meaningful fight.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/08/texas-abortion-budget/

This year, they took $20 million from the health technology budget - probably money that would help new moms and their babies enroll in Medicaid programs - to throw at this wasteful red meat garbage. Read the article - it's obscene.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 21, 2021

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

At least they kept the corner of Fairmont with the Kroger on it open.

Also lmao that they're doing emergency repair on the 146 bridge right now. It's a good month for the area all around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MWatkinsTrib/status/1418026468379176960

Give Baylor the death penalty and put them in C USA

They shoulda got it after the Broyles stuff and the shoulda got it after the basketball murders stuff. That whole institution is rotten.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Seems a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Antitrust rulings are going to completely break the back of the NCAA and the conferences, who knows what they will look like in the aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I very much doubt that they're going to break the backs of the conferences. I think they might force them to compensate the players in some way and remove restrictions around student transfers, but I don't think the courts are gonna blow them up wholesale. (The NCAA is gonna wind up even more toothless than it already is and eventually get blown up or abandoned, but the schools can live with that, the NCAA's done its job of playing heel while the schools pretend that things are out of their hands.)

Texas'll probably make out great financially if this thing happens, but it's gonna be fascinating watching them adjust to being just another voice in the room instead of the big swinging dick. A&M's already pissed at the mere suggestion of this and that's always funny. (EDIT: RIP to my dad's beloved Hogs, though. They're gonna put on a forced smile and talk about how happy they are for the SWC reunions while they get kicked even further down the ladder.)

zoux posted:

Give Baylor the death penalty and put them in C USA

They shoulda got it after the Broyles stuff and the shoulda got it after the basketball murders stuff. That whole institution is rotten.
:hmmyes:

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 22, 2021