Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Zaroff posted:

IIRC it’s from the 1999 Doctor Who night on the BBC, which featured a repeat of the 1996 movie, albeit uncut for the first time. It also featured the comedy skits which were released on the Beginning DVD set, including the infamous ‘any fucker with an Equity card’ line which pissed off Colin Baker.

It launched a very short-lived repeat run, where they quickly realized the modern-day audience didn’t have the patience for 7 weeks of Doctor Who and the Silurians, jumped to the 76th repeat of Genesis of the Daleks and shelved the whole thing.

Oh yes, that's it! I do have The Beginning set, so I remember those.
With BBC 4 becoming an archive/repeats channel, I'm not sure why they don't re-run some classic serials on there. It's like how the audio plays are only very, very rarely run on Radio 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

Oh yes, that's it! I do have The Beginning set, so I remember those.
With BBC 4 becoming an archive/repeats channel, I'm not sure why they don't re-run some classic serials on there. It's like how the audio plays are only very, very rarely run on Radio 4.

That's what W is for.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

Wait, the actors have been officially asked not to talk about the lunches? That's amazing - I'm sure I've heard interviews with Briggs and McGann both waxing poetically about the lunches.

Maybe that's what keeps the talent coming back - steady work and pay, the writing and chance to work with old friends again....and the lunches. Recording remotely must have been hard, not only because the cast have to soundproof themselves, and they don't have their co-stars in person to act against, but also no lunches.

They mentioned on the bonus features to The Early Adventures "An Ordinary Life" how actor Ram John Holder was booked to record all his scenes on day one, but he showed up on day two just to have lunch!

I'm pretty sure it was The Monthly Adventure "The Wishing Beast" where the lunches were first mentioned. (Pretty sure it was all Jean Marsh would talk about)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Wait, the actors have been officially asked not to talk about the lunches? That's amazing - I'm sure I've heard interviews with Briggs and McGann both waxing poetically about the lunches.

Maybe that's what keeps the talent coming back - steady work and pay, the writing and chance to work with old friends again....and the lunches. Recording remotely must have been hard, not only because the cast have to soundproof themselves, and they don't have their co-stars in person to act against, but also no lunches.

Yeah, there's this bit where Tracey-Anne Oberman is mourning their loss and then is all "oh, whoops, sorry Scott, I know I'm not allowed to say..."

Goes by very quick though, haha.

Also: seriously, try Torchwoooood.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-the-five-people-you-kill-in-middlesbrough-2405
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-lease-of-life-2150
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-fall-to-earth-1295

These are the three I've been recommending friends since we've gone back into lockdown, and they've all very, very good -- classics IMO, particularly Fall To Earth.

(Also the first two are about the 'rona in case that's a problem for people. Or a bonus.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 15, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say whenever I listen to an 8 audio I imagine it as part of the series that never was complete with the Debney theme.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t like to post exactly where I live, but I guess I just outed myself. I live in one of two cities in the US where they show old Doctor Who at 1:00am on Saturday.

I had no idea it wasn’t being aired nationally. It started last summer with what I guess are the first Tom Baker episodes.

Do they show it as 90 minute edits as God and 80s PBS intended? :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh yes. There’s only one opening titles sequence and one credits sequence at the end. It’s actually a little challenging to figure out where one episode ends and the next begins.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gotta say whenever I listen to an 8 audio I imagine it as part of the series that never was complete with the Debney theme.

I find the boxsets quite easy to imagine as I'm listening to it, mainly because of the more up to date images they use. Other Doctors I try and imagine them looking like TV episodes of the time, directing the camera in my mind, although sometimes I tend to imagine them with more new series gloss and production value.

I really like the David Arnold theme - it's broody and mysterious with a great middle eight.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 15, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

New figure of Troughton incoming! Interestingly this was supposed to come out a few years ago, it got leaked and CO cancelled the release in a huff.

https://twitter.com/doctorwhohome1/status/1415952694720741376

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I know its very much loved by fans, but Doctor Who and the Pirates didn't do much for me. Maybe it's because I'm not overly found of pirate stories in general, or because pure historicals without any sci-fic elements aside from the Doctor being there tend to leave me a bit cold.

Baker, Stables and Bill Oddie were fun, but it just didn't click with me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

New figure of Troughton incoming! Interestingly this was supposed to come out a few years ago, it got leaked and CO cancelled the release in a huff.

https://twitter.com/doctorwhohome1/status/1415952694720741376
It irks me way, waaaay more than it should that they didn't get the top of the Peter Brachaki TARDIS right. (The gap above the sign over the doors is missing, and the roof's too flat.) :spergin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flight Bisque posted:

YouTube's algorithm just served me this, and uh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJTSnLQvP8

This awoken a desire for Dirty Doctor Who in me. Is there a Big Finish or something out there where the Doctor is constantly making filthy jokes at bad times and inexplicably says "fuckin-a" way too much?

edit: unfortunately there is a world of dirty doctor who i wish i didn't discover

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 16, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQ7X3wauRQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

I know its very much loved by fans, but Doctor Who and the Pirates didn't do much for me. Maybe it's because I'm not overly found of pirate stories in general, or because pure historicals without any sci-fic elements aside from the Doctor being there tend to leave me a bit cold.

Baker, Stables and Bill Oddie were fun, but it just didn't click with me.

Oh I didn't like it either, it didn't know what it wanted to be and the tonal whiplash really undercut the better aspects of the story around Evelyn and Sally. A lot of great little individual moments but the story itself is a complete mess and not in a good way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

the tonal whiplash

Uhh, I dunno if this is part of the "dunno what it wanted to be" critique, but I thought this was very purposeful and meant to be quite jarring. The characters talk about it during the framing device sequences.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regardless of if it was intentional or not, it still didn't make for an enjoyable listening experience. Going from goofy silliness to straight up vicious torture or physical abuse and then straight back to goofy silliness again really didn't sit well with me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Regardless of if it was intentional or not, it still didn't make for an enjoyable listening experience. Going from goofy silliness to straight up vicious torture or physical abuse and then straight back to goofy silliness again really didn't sit well with me.

I guess I'm just making a case for the purpose -- a lot of the play is about how we cope with trauma, and the way that traumatic events can disrupt our "normal" lives to such a degree that we can't return from those events whole. The play argues that trying to force enthusiasm and jollity and positive emotions -- faking it till you make it -- is an understandable by inherently wrong-headed strategy, and that living in the pain might actually be the better strategy (along with support and self care). It's not a particularly ground breaking idea, sure, but for the year, what, 2002?, it was pretty unusual.

Like if you didn't enjoy it you didn't enjoy it, I'm not trying to litigate against that. But making the claim that the play doesn't know what it wants to be seems incorrect to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe a better way of phrasing it would be "wanting to have their cake and eat it too" then? Doing the goofy silly musical meta-aware stuff and then contrasting it with quite vicious and offputting violence/brutality and then jumping right back to the other is just a mix that didn't work for me at all. It's a very divisive story though, every time it gets brought up there are people who really enjoyed it and people who really didn't, and it's one of those stories where it clearly works for some listeners and not for others.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I see where it fits into Evelyn's thing about struggling with the idea that you can't save everyone, and that if she wants to see history in person, she has to accept that, but the story itself didn't do much for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched The Stones of Blood and I really enjoyed it. It’s extremely cornball and every set looks like it’s just about to collapse if anyone walks too close or touches anything, but I find all of that really appealing. My favorite gag in this one is Mary Tamm remarking that a space ship they’re in seems to be very large, followed immediately by a cut to the very small rickety-looking miniature model used for the ship. The supporting cast is quite strong in this one—especially the lady playing the elderly professor—and Mary Tamm is a great straight man for Tom Baker and I’m sorry she only has a few more episodes left.

I don’t know if I’ll last past the grimy 70s era, as that’s extremely my aesthetic interest, but I think I’m for sure a fan now. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the Douglas Adams episodes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Tom Baker is such an interesting actor because he seems like a mess of contradictions - both very charming and friendly and energtic to work with, but also stubborn and boorish. From interviews, it didn't seem that he actually started to like himself until the 90s when he mellowed out a lot and dealt with some of his issues.

But some of his ancedotes are quite :stare: material. It's good to see that he seems to be much happier and healthier now.

Random question, since Peter Davison is mixed race, does that techniqually make him the first ethnic minority actor to play the Doctor? Or is he too white passing to really be tastefully able to claim that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Random question, since Peter Davison is mixed race, does that techniqually make him the first ethnic minority actor to play the Doctor? Or is he too white passing to really be tastefully able to claim that?

:can:

I only learnt that he’s mixed race in the last year, so I’d imagine it’s not super widely known. And yes, it would make him the first BAME actor to play the Doctor. That said, the notion of passing is a whole problematic minefield that’s way outside my remit and sphere of discussion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6986506807225158917

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look at this point I'm gonna count that as a new episode of the show and declare it.... good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Look at this point I'm gonna count that as a new episode of the show and declare it.... good.

So, since Capaldi left, good Who is stained glass Davros and 13 in a cupboard. 100% of good Who in this period has been vertically filmed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Keep him away from Nine, since he'd kick the panes in

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s up for preorder!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1417428054352318476

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People bitching about the price tag must be new to collecting memorabilia

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I finally got around to watching Revolution of the Daleks. I think I would have liked to have seen the Dr escape the prison on her own but she has to pay some price for it. Then when she meets back up with her companions and finds the daleks that anger just boils over and maybe goes a bit too far in punishing them. Ryan sees that, and maybe gets dragged into it a bit, and starts to see things differently and then chooses to leave.

Anyway, I'm as far from a screen writer as you can probably get. But it just felt like nothing had much weight. Nice to see Jack back, but having him there meant that the others had even less to do. Nice to see Yaz actually start to develop as a character, but Graham may as well have been a cardboard cut-out in the background.

Maybe I'm just all shirty about it. What a waste.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SecretOfSteel posted:

when she meets back up with her companions and finds the daleks that anger just boils over and maybe goes a bit too far in punishing them.

With the way the Daleks have been written, I'm not sure this would really work.

But yeah, this story sucked a lot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

People bitching about the price tag must be new to collecting memorabilia

The price is fine but... the inside of the police box looks exactly the same size as it does on the outside.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BennTreysee/status/1417208128802807821

Khanstant posted:

The price is fine but... the inside of the police box looks exactly the same size as it does on the outside.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1417538693066338311

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 20, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Revolution of the Daleks.....

What I wanted: 13 having an exciting escape from prison and then fighting the Daleks.
What we got: 13 waiting around passively until someone else does everything for her.

I'm starting to think that Chibnall might not like 13 as a character, because he never lets her DO anything. At least Chris Noth was hamming it up.

Though I am impressed with how restrained the revival series has been with Davros. He hasn't been used much at all, so it'll feel like a big deal the next time he pops up.

The_Doctor posted:

:can:

I only learnt that he’s mixed race in the last year, so I’d imagine it’s not super widely known. And yes, it would make him the first BAME actor to play the Doctor. That said, the notion of passing is a whole problematic minefield that’s way outside my remit and sphere of discussion.

Oh yes, I think it would raise a few eyebrows if he declared it himself, but I did find an interview where he talks about it. He seems to identify more as "English" than his ethnicity. I suppose that also technically makes Georgina Tennant BAME? But like you said, it's a social minefield.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/1417245489494380547

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is how it starts, an alien invasion we have no chance of surviv-

Oh nevermind it's just the Cybermen :laugh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EXCELLENT!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

(extremely Tobias Vaughn voice) "Hacker..." :smuggo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(extremely Tobias Vaughn voice) "Hacker..." :smuggo:

gently caress. That's perfect. gently caress.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1417847132313296896

Huh. This was leaked as being a four-disk set, but they've removed the third episode ("The Hour At The Hospital"). But it still costs the same as a four disk set. Yikes.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was it removed because it had BARROWMAN on it?