Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012
Hey all, I managed to snag a Gigabyte 3070Ti today only to find out it's comically large with three fans and won't fit in my ATX case. The card is almost the full width of the case, and is slightly taller than the width of the drive mount which takes up the opposite side so I can't just slide it in diagonally. My case is about 8 years old (and unfortunately has no labeling so I don't know the name), has the standard layout changed around a bit? Or is the expectation with enthusiast cards that you go the extra mile and buy cases with a special layout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Modern cases allow for the new normal, yeah. But you can also sometimes rip poo poo out of old cases to make it fit.

The good news is that relative to all the other stuff, cases are pretty cheap. Define r series from fractal design are a thread favorite.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sdasdas posted:

Hey all, I managed to snag a Gigabyte 3070Ti today only to find out it's comically large with three fans and won't fit in my ATX case. The card is almost the full width of the case, and is slightly taller than the width of the drive mount which takes up the opposite side so I can't just slide it in diagonally. My case is about 8 years old (and unfortunately has no labeling so I don't know the name), has the standard layout changed around a bit? Or is the expectation with enthusiast cards that you go the extra mile and buy cases with a special layout?

If anything, modern cases have gotten smaller. The main difference is that there aren't any drive bays hanging out at the front of the chasis anymore. 2.5" drives are attached to the various panels in an unobtrusive way, and 3.5" drive cages, if there are any at all, are tucked away in a corner somewhere (usually by the PSU). I'd see if you can remove those drive bays first.

VelociBacon posted:

Modern cases allow for the new normal, yeah. But you can also sometimes rip poo poo out of old cases to make it fit.

The good news is that relative to all the other stuff, cases are pretty cheap. Define r series from fractal design are a thread favorite.

The Define series are some people's favorites but I don't think there's any consensus on case preference at all, really. The define series in particular is not ideal for airflow. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want that solid front panel design (or if you want 5.25" external drive bays). I'd much sooner recommend Fractal Designs' Meshify 2 line, all of which are perfectly solid. Phanteks' mesh-fronted Eclipse and Enthoo cases are also good, as are the Corsair 4000D and 5000D cases, CoolerMaster's mesh cases, Be Quiet Silent Base 802 and Pure Base 500DX, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh and Lancool 215, NZXT 710, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Pick whichever one of those suits your fancy and you're good. There are also quite a few good gimmicky cases like the Lian Li O11 (a personal favorite) and the Seasonic Syncro (when combined with their special power supply). With those gimmicky cases, you have to be extra sure about your cooling plan. You can get away with some sub-optimal case designs with smart planning and/or sheer power (more fans rarely hurts (though sometimes they do actually hurt))

I feel like small form factor cases have also become a lot more popular, but that's a whole other can of worms (SFF/ITX thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587)

edit: I checked Newegg's best sellers to see if there was anything notable I missed, and there wasn't, but I was surprised to see the O11 Dynamic in the #2 spot. I know it has a lot of appeal for not being lame gamer aesthetic and having a minimal modernist look, but I would've thought it would be more niche with its non-standard fan slot layout and emphasis on water cooling (and no included fans, making it a rather expensive case once you add the cost of fans to it). It's really popular anyway, though. I know I've been considering doing my next build in one. It seems neat.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 19, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was surprised to see the O11 Dynamic in the #2 spot. I know it has a lot of appeal for not being lame gamer aesthetic and having a minimal modernist look

Lol, looking at that case I'm pretty sure it's as high up as it is because it allows for the maximum amount of RGB unicorn vomit fans to be on display at once

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol, looking at that case I'm pretty sure it's as high up as it is because it allows for the maximum amount of RGB unicorn vomit fans to be on display at once

I haven't used it, but it's apparently a very well-built case with some smart design features. I'm a fan of the shorter and fatter form factor where the PSU is located on the other side of the motherboard tray. Ultimately though people just like showing off and looking at their rigs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I believe you need to take the top off that case to remove any panels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I believe you need to take the top off that case to remove any panels.

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmYcKg0x4bw&t=189s

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I haven't used it, but it's apparently a very well-built case with some smart design features. I'm a fan of the shorter and fatter form factor where the PSU is located on the other side of the motherboard tray. Ultimately though people just like showing off and looking at their rigs.

Oh yeah I'm not saying anything against the build quality or features, but it seems clearly designed for that section of the market who want to fill it with flashy RGB components which I would say are generally the opposite of minimalist

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s a really nice case to build in, lots of space and well-designed. You do have to take the top off to remove any panels, but it’s two thumbscrews and the top is what retains the side panels so it’s actually easier overall than a Meshify or similar. (Having built in both, I prefer the O11 to work in.)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Three hours and cleaning up blood from the sharp cooler fins and I figure out one of the ram sticks is bad. gently caress me. At least one works so I can install windows and at least prep/update the system. I will never not check for post prior to installing the cooler again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, it looks like Asus is selling the 3070 Ti in a bundle with a PC case off their own site? Is there a catch to this that I'm missing somehow? I kept looking to see if it was a scam or a fake store but as far as I can tell it's legit; I'm just wondering why it's still in stock this morning if that's so.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

That's their 39.7L "ITX" case; pretty sure it was not reviewed well by anyone.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

denereal visease posted:

That's their 39.7L "ITX" case; pretty sure it was not reviewed well by anyone.

I admit I wasn't thrilled by the case; I just didn't think that a mandatory bundle with an unpopular product was enough to stop a genuine graphics card from flying off the shelves.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Quick question as it's been a few years since I last got a new graphics card. (Boy things have changed!)

The new one I've ordered has this on the spec:

Minimum of a 750 Watt power supply.
Two available 8-pin or 6+2pin PCIe power dongles

Am I being dumb in assuming I can just use two 6+2 PCIe power dongles? I currently have a EVGA 850w currently installed but it has no 8 pin dongles. It would be great to save myself buying yet another PSU.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yes, that's what 6+2 pins are for.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

CoolCab posted:

Yes, that's what 6+2 pins are for.

Awesome, I was worried I needed one of them as a 8 pin figuring it might be different. Good to know!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Don't be a dumb gently caress like me and struggle to get the Bluetooth working before realizing the Wi-Fi antenna also is the Bluetooth antenna. I've been up all night with this poo poo LOL.

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes
I've had a chance to do some but not exhaustive research. Just to recap, quoting my use-case below.

Little fishes posted:

What country are you in?
UK

What are you using the system for? If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
I do a lot of varied stuff for work though:
  • Windows Pro
  • Document writing
    • Office apps, often media heavy, PowerPoints with lots of video
    • LaTeX
  • Statistics/data handling
    • R/Python data wrangling/statistics and some modelling
    • Batch processing of images (Python/FFMPEG)
    • I’d like to get into Computer Vision down the line
  • Video/Audio editing
    • OpenShot but may invest in something better
    • Reaper/Audacity
    • Batch conversion/processing in FFMPEG through the Linux subsystem
  • Illustration/editing - Wacom tablet
    • ClipStudio Pro
    • Inkscape
    • Gimp

What's your budget?
I wanted to stay around £1,000

Parts I already have:
  • Radeon 7950 HD
  • A SATA SSD (120 GB)
  • 3x 3.5 inch HDD
  • Mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.

Additional wants:
  • Case front USB-C, USB 3 and headphone jack
  • As quiet as possible for recording
  • OS/software on a NVMe drive
  • A motherboard with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

My first stab at a build:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (£504.81 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£52.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£137.96 @ Infinite Computing)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£193.85 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.48 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3 GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (£139.15 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£75.98 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (£15.00)
Monitor: Dell 1909W 19.0" 1440x900 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For £0.00)
Monitor: BenQ EL2870U 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £1227.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-19 19:26 BST+0100

I think both the case and motherboard are likely overkill. I liked the look of the case, the filters/sound-proofing and front USB-C. I ended up paying a little more for the motherboard as it had USB 3.2 Gen 1 Headers, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth and a better than average sound chip.

Does USB backwards compatibility extend to the headers? The case is Gen 2 but the motherboard is Gen 1.

It's still a ways to go. Feel free to hurt my feelings.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LorneReams posted:

Don't be a dumb gently caress like me and struggle to get the Bluetooth working before realizing the Wi-Fi antenna also is the Bluetooth antenna. I've been up all night with this poo poo LOL.

A lot of times the Bluetooth part of the adapter requires a cord into a free USB hub on the main board, too!
:eng101:

https://twitter.com/lorriehancock18/status/1416587544892887042?s=21

Please consult a medical professional if your erection lasts longer than five hours...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

LorneReams posted:

I'm torn between thinking "why does it need a Bluetooth antenna" and "honestly, my PC Bluetooth has always sucked, maybe I do need an antenna."

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My google searches are insane. One is "Will blood on heat sink fins cause issues" and "what pin is the negative on the reset button"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LorneReams posted:

My google searches are insane. One is "Will blood on heat sink fins cause issues" and "what pin is the negative on the reset button"

Blood improves airflow

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Blood improves airflow

Improved ventilation + liquid cooling = winning

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

So, it looks like Asus is selling the 3070 Ti in a bundle with a PC case off their own site? Is there a catch to this that I'm missing somehow? I kept looking to see if it was a scam or a fake store but as far as I can tell it's legit; I'm just wondering why it's still in stock this morning if that's so.

The catch is that it's extremely overpriced and the case sucks. You can find the 3070 ti at similar prices all over the place, this isn't that odd.

Little fishes posted:

I think both the case and motherboard are likely overkill. I liked the look of the case, the filters/sound-proofing and front USB-C.

If you like the look of the case then that's the most important thing, but here's the thing about sound dampening. A well-ventilated case with fans running at low RPMs will almost always run cooler and be just as quiet or even quieter than sound-dampened cases with fans running at high RPMs to make up for poor ventilation. I dunno when you last built a PC (it may have been a while judging by your 7950 HD), but PWM case fans are common now. Those let you fine-tune the speed they spin according to how hot your PC is getting (the fan curve). Cases can get pretty quiet now even with nothing but mesh between you and them.

That said, Fractal's corner vents for the Define cases are... okay. They'll get the job done with enough fans. So if you like the case's look and features then go for it. But if your temps don't seem to be doing well with it, then consider slapping an extra intake fan or two into the bottom slots.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The catch is that it's extremely overpriced and the case sucks. You can find the 3070 ti at similar prices all over the place, this isn't that odd.

Oh, okay. I was aware that this sort of thing was going on with third party vendors (in terms of "well, if you really want one you can always become part of the problem and pay Too Much to a scalper", but I didn't know manufacturers had this sort of thing going on as well.

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012

sdasdas posted:

Thanks for the advice all, I did buy the Corsair 4000D as it was quite a bit cheaper and has plenty of space. Because the drives are in a separate compartment there's almost half the wires in the main area of the chassis, it's strange seeing the inside of a computer look so tidy.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I built a computer for the first time in like 12 years!

Ryzen 3600
1050ti
32GB RAM

I originally bought most of it in January, and was trying to get a reasonably priced RTX card (lol). Finally caved in and got the 1050ti as a placeholder. It's still an upgrade over my old card.

Spent 4 hours unboxing everything and putting it together. It booted the windows install USB stick on the first try, I was so relieved.

I got a black full ATX case with a glass window, and then bought all black parts with no LEDs. This amuses me. Also it has 4 empty media slots and 6 empty HDD slots. This also amuses me. Gonna throw some cheap big storage drives in there later, but it is just so big and black and empty right now and I love it.

Getting everything downloaded and installed then going to bed. Tomorrow I'll see how it handles games I've been looking forward to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I built a computer for the first time in like 12 years!

Ryzen 3600
1050ti
32GB RAM

I originally bought most of it in January, and was trying to get a reasonably priced RTX card (lol). Finally caved in and got the 1050ti as a placeholder. It's still an upgrade over my old card.

Spent 4 hours unboxing everything and putting it together. It booted the windows install USB stick on the first try, I was so relieved.

I got a black full ATX case with a glass window, and then bought all black parts with no LEDs. This amuses me. Also it has 4 empty media slots and 6 empty HDD slots. This also amuses me. Gonna throw some cheap big storage drives in there later, but it is just so big and black and empty right now and I love it.

Getting everything downloaded and installed then going to bed. Tomorrow I'll see how it handles games I've been looking forward to.

Good stuff! Love that feeling.

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes

If you like the look of the case then that's the most important thing, but here's the thing about sound dampening. A well-ventilated case with fans running at low RPMs will almost always run cooler and be just as quiet or even quieter than sound-dampened cases with fans running at high RPMs to make up for poor ventilation. I dunno when you last built a PC (it may have been a while judging by your 7950 HD), but PWM case fans are common now. Those let you fine-tune the speed they spin according to how hot your PC is getting (the fan curve). Cases can get pretty quiet now even with nothing but mesh between you and them.

That said, Fractal's corner vents for the Define cases are... okay. They'll get the job done with enough fans. So if you like the case's look and features then go for it. But if your temps don't seem to be doing well with it, then consider slapping an extra intake fan or two into the bottom slots.

It has been a while, it feels like I'm starting over from scratch. Thanks for this, feels like good advice. I switched the case to the Meshify 2. The compact looked nice but I need the extra 3.5 inch bays, for now at least.

Is there anything glaringly dumb with the rest of the build? I think I'm there.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Restarted to install windows update and now I can't get any video output at all, can't even boot to BIOS

Now we're cooking with gas!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Restarted to install windows update and now I can't get any video output at all, can't even boot to BIOS

Now we're cooking with gas!!

Unplug all but one monitor and maybe try plugging that monitor into the mobo instead of the GPU. See if your mobo has a display for error codes and reference them online or in the manual.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

VelociBacon posted:

try plugging that monitor into the mobo instead of the GPU

Unfortunately this won't won't because the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics :(

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Mobo has error lights but none are on. They do light up, like if i pull all the ram out the ram error light will be on. But it isn't grumpy about whatever is causing my video output problem.

I have reseated the gpu and ram, plugged the monitor into the mobo instead, tried a different cable/ monitor, tried the gpu again with different monitor. The computer powers on and mobo lights indicate it is booting up, but I cant get any video out.

Last night when I finished putting it together, I installed windows, ran updates/restarted several times, installed steam and a few games, checked thzt they ran withut crashing, then went to bed. This morning windows wanted to install another update, i restarted again and am now stuck with no video output, not even the mobo logo or bios menu.

Still poking at things and googling... dont have another gpu or hard drive to swap out and test, and the lack of video means i cant try a fresh windows install.

Windows update, why you gotta do me dirty like this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Mobo has error lights but none are on. They do light up, like if i pull all the ram out the ram error light will be on. But it isn't grumpy about whatever is causing my video output problem.

I have reseated the gpu and ram, plugged the monitor into the mobo instead, tried a different cable/ monitor, tried the gpu again with different monitor. The computer powers on and mobo lights indicate it is booting up, but I cant get any video out.

Last night when I finished putting it together, I installed windows, ran updates/restarted several times, installed steam and a few games, checked thzt they ran withut crashing, then went to bed. This morning windows wanted to install another update, i restarted again and am now stuck with no video output, not even the mobo logo or bios menu.

Still poking at things and googling... dont have another gpu or hard drive to swap out and test, and the lack of video means i cant try a fresh windows install.

Windows update, why you gotta do me dirty like this?

Can you try the gpu in a different pci-e slot?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe a dumb question since it sounds like you're being fairly thorough, but did you try double checking the pci-e power cables in addition to reseating the card itself? Just make sure all the cables are plugged in firmly actually. Maybe something is slightly loose. That's an issue that has caused me similar grief in the past.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
unseat and reseat the ram, selectively boot with different ram stick configurations, clear CMOS (either via a jumper or with a battery pull your mobo manual will have the advice). check connections. I'm sure you've done most or all of these but they sometimes do the trick. so you have another video card to test? even an old one

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Also just mash the gently caress outta the bios button. And check other ports on the GPU.

Sometimes update fucks with your display defaults.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc

Man I love reviews of bad products (but at this point everyone knows Alienware is bad, right?)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
huh that was the model someone in here was thinking about buying? looks like our concerns about the cooling were well founded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

note that I got one with the liquid cooler and the cpu was hitting 100c out of the box lol