Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Is good commentary harder than it appears to be? or is it just a skill set that's undervalued and considered unimportant to the end product by some companies?

I'm asking because it feels like only about half of the moderate-size companies making shows for the English speaking market manage to regularly put on quality commentary. Impact trades Striker and Matthews back and forth who are generally dreadful. WWE upgraded Adnan Virk who was bad to Jimmy Smith who is worse. New Japan Strong has an excellent play by play guy and a walking ambien pill on colour. In all cases I'd think that good and gripping commentary would be something companies would value, so is it just harder than I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Is good commentary harder than it appears to be? or is it just a skill set that's undervalued and considered unimportant to the end product by some companies?

I'm asking because it feels like only about half of the moderate-size companies making shows for the English speaking market manage to regularly put on quality commentary. Impact trades Striker and Matthews back and forth who are generally dreadful. WWE upgraded Adnan Virk who was bad to Jimmy Smith who is worse. New Japan Strong has an excellent play by play guy and a walking ambien pill on colour. In all cases I'd think that good and gripping commentary would be something companies would value, so is it just harder than I assume?

Both, honestly. It's a skill that a lot of the big companies undervalue. WWE also have a warped idea of what the skillset is

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine having to call all the possible permutations and developments in a wrestling match on the fly to be easy in any way, and it probably is one of those things where you either have a brain that's wired just right for it or you don't. I guess that's why you can count the very top-tier announcers in the business on one or maybe two hands.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Different companies also have different standards when it comes to commentary.

Like, WWE infamously has Vince dictate a lot of things. The network a show runs on can also have an impact on how commentary pans out. I can easily see one TV station saying "We want it to sound like a sports broadcast" with the other valuing the entertainment aspect more, but you also gotta plug the show that comes on after at least two times.

I obviously have no real insight in what exactly requirements for commentary are in any given promotion. But I think it's more complicated that simply undervaluing commentary.

That and commentary can be really hard. It requires some research even if you dictate everything about the product, otherwise. And you also gotta vibe with your co-commentator/s

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Doing commentary for my school, I can tell you that it's something that seems easy enough to do before you actually do it. I have like an Excalibur knowledge and memory of moves and dumb wrestling bullshit, but I'm not a great public speaker. I'm pretty quick on my feet but I found myself having a hard time keeping the energy level up because I can be pretty monotone and laid back in my speaking a lot of the time.

It is fun, though! I found myself enjoying commentary more than the actual wrestling because I liked being able to help tell the stories for each match. I probably would have gotten better over time but it definitely isn't something everyone can do and it's not something everyone excels at immediately.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Pro sports commentators absolutely suck and drag down nearly every event. Wrestling may generally have the best commentary on air, if only because they know what they're talking towards, if nothing else, and aren't trying to emerge narrative from the unpredictable whims of reality

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Even without the insane controlling whims of a Vince-like figure, a good color guy should speak within certain parameters. Like wrestler X is on this level of the card feuding with wrestler Y and/or Z; here's where a storyline is at and here's where it's probably going, etc. It's probably a challenge to stick to that in the booth and not end up producing rambling wild speculation that doesn't get anyone over in the long run.

Note: insipid/inspired Taz commentary is exempt from this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lamuella posted:

It's both hard & underappreciated. Another problem that the big companies have is there's no real school for commentators. Excalibur is a great commentator now but go back & listen to him on early PWG shows and see he sure wasn't born fully formed (even once you look past the early 2000s edgy stuff where I don't think him and Disco Machine were racist so much as they were just riffing to pop the boys) as a top rate commentator.

At the time I really didn't like Don West where as now I think his genuine enthusiasm for cool poo poo combined with his world class shilling ability are very endearing. On the other hand, Gabe's aliases on ROH DVDs were loving bad then and even worse now somehow.

I could commentate for 100 shows & I'd probably not get good, experience is not a replacement for talent. They need to go hand in hand.

Also probably easier it you don't have an old lunatic yelling in your headset the whole time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Speaking for an extended period of time and remaining engaging + knowledable throughout is quite difficult. The guys who make it look easy are usually incredibly talented with years of experience.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 20, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

weird question but has there been any kind of interviews/podcasts of any kind with PAC since he got to AEW? Understandably dude had an 8 month covid lockdown but out of so many bigger guys on the roster he seems like he keeps entirely to himself now, was curious if he had anything public he's talked about in regards to his time there

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

I obviously have no real insight in what exactly requirements for commentary are in any given promotion. But I think it's more complicated that simply undervaluing commentary.

That's the biggest thing, commentary teams have so many different overlapping and interlocking duties that are dictated by the people above them who are literally in their ear keeping them on task. It's a difficult skill in and of itself, but the number of directions pulling commentary are also a huge part of why commentary for kind of all sports is a mess.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DLC Inc posted:

weird question but has there been any kind of interviews/podcasts of any kind with PAC since he got to AEW? Understandably dude had an 8 month covid lockdown but out of so many bigger guys on the roster he seems like he keeps entirely to himself now, was curious if he had anything public he's talked about in regards to his time there

PAC's always been an introverted guy, and one with a lot of self-confidence issues at that - it makes sense why he'd avoid non-essential media stuff. He might also be of the mindset that not making the podcast/Twitch/vlog rounds preserves his star power.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was that fun story someone had awhile ago about seeing him at random after an AEW show, talking at length about socialized medicine, and then Pac was like "Alright now I have to go back to being evil, nice meeting you"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

PAC's always been an introverted guy, and one with a lot of self-confidence issues at that - it makes sense why he'd avoid non-essential media stuff. He might also be of the mindset that not making the podcast/Twitch/vlog rounds preserves his star power.

There's an episode of Art Of Wrestling Pac was on, pre-WWE. He had a very candid conversation with Colt about self doubt and confidence and there's a point where Colt questions how someone as gifted as Pac can have any doubt. I don't think Colt was being lovely, he really didn't understand. Pac was a bit evasive, Colt reads the room, then the episode ends...except not quite. Normally after the interview Colt would plug upcoming dates, instead he does a short explanation saying that after he thought they were done, Pac went and had a shower and gave what they talked about more thought and wanted to talk some more on air, and he explained his self doubt a bit better. It was really interesting.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I hear that they've sent several expert teams to search the areas under the bridges of Newcastle upon Tyne hoping for an interview. So far none have returned.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

I hear that they've sent several expert teams to search the areas under the bridges of Newcastle upon Tyne hoping for an interview. So far none have returned.

They should try sending Alex Marvez!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

duckdealer posted:

They should try sending Alex Marvez!

Alex Marvez is banned from the greater Tyneside area after an incident in a go-go bar

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's an episode of Art Of Wrestling Pac was on, pre-WWE. He had a very candid conversation with Colt about self doubt and confidence and there's a point where Colt questions how someone as gifted as Pac can have any doubt. I don't think Colt was being lovely, he really didn't understand. Pac was a bit evasive, Colt reads the room, then the episode ends...except not quite. Normally after the interview Colt would plug upcoming dates, instead he does a short explanation saying that after he thought they were done, Pac went and had a shower and gave what they talked about more thought and wanted to talk some more on air, and he explained his self doubt a bit better. It was really interesting.

Makes sense, I wasn't sure if that's just how he's always been i.e. introverted and wanting to stick to his character, or it was an AEW-specific thing that made him more insular after the bummer of travel visas/covid since working there

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Which wrestler besides the Rock, Batista, and Cena has had the most successful acting career?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fatherofmustard posted:

Which wrestler besides the Rock, Batista, and Cena has had the most successful acting career?

A lot of people would probably argue Roddy Piper or Jesse Ventura, but both only had one or two big hits ("They Live" for Roddy, "Predator" and "The Running Man" for Jesse), and the rest were Z-grade films. Kevin Nash has had some small supporting roles (including one season of a British show set in Florida!)

Prof Toru Tanaka worked steadily through the 80s and 90s whenever some B-film needed a solid, menacing, henchman.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 21, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

fatherofmustard posted:

Piper in They Live. Hogan is more prolific, but gently caress him and his movies.

Nash has always been a reliable big guy in a small capacity (TMNT2, Punisher, Magic Mike, John Wick), Kurgan is always reliable when you need a silent heavy.

Let’s not forget George Steele in Ed Wood.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 21, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

Santo.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

fatherofmustard posted:

Lenny Montana

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Literally just finished watching a Santo movie at the bar. Definitely took second billing to whoever the dancing lady was.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tor Johnson. Only mostly a comedy answer as he did have parts in a bunch of films. Pretty much all of them are terrible, but he has more credits than a lot of guys. Terry Funk did bits and pieces here and there.

Alex Karras wrestled a small handful of matches during a few off-seasons from the Lions. Not as much as Wahoo McDaniel or Dick the Bruiser, but Karras was wrestling smaller towns in the circuits.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How quickly you all forget such classics of cinema like No Holds Barred and Santa With Muscles.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
My favorite wrestling performance is Hulk Hogan as Dave Dragon, the kickass hero & father figure in Three Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain

The directors other films include three baby geniuses sequels and something called Orphan Horse

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fatherofmustard posted:

Brian Glover. Wrestled as Leon Arras on World Of Sport from the late fifties into the mid to late sixties. Very popular comedy wrestler. Cast in the film Kes by Ken Loach and Barry Hines in 1969. On the basis of that became a celebrated TV and theatre actor from the 70s to the mid 90s, including film roles in An American Werewolf in London, The First Great Train Robbery, Jabberwocky, and Alien 3. On TV he appeared in everything from Doctor Who to Bottom. Wrote and produced more than 20 plays. A pugnacious working class giant of the British drama world.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nnobody knows who that or santa is. The most successful acting career wrestler is ox baker

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What are some can't-miss PWG events of the last decade or so? I've seen a few BOLAs over the years but never followed it closely.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tommy Lister

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Piper in They Live. Hogan is more prolific, but gently caress him and his movies.

Hey, Suburban Commando is pretty good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

What are some can't-miss PWG events of the last decade or so? I've seen a few BOLAs over the years but never followed it closely.

If it's an All Star Weekend, get it. But especially ASW6. Also Steen Wolf and Fear.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jesse Ventura's minor roles in Running Man and Predator were more memorable than Hogan's entire acting career

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
RIP

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

sticklefifer posted:

Steen wolf, threemendous 3, asw 9 (Drake younger warning)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Dave posted:

Also probably his finest moment as a worker, so at least it's watchable

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 21, 2021

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

Steen Wolf and Threemendous 3 are definitely good shouts, and I've got great memories of Mystery Vortex 3 as well

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Big Dave posted:

threemendous 3 comes with a warning for younger, joey ryan, tjp, elgin, callihan, brian cage parodying booker t’s biggest flub, but those two title matches are stupendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Is Edge canonically a vampire/does he have vampire powers

Real question that I typed out