Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow the hatch looks great. I'll take the hatch in neon green please :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow the hatch looks great. I'll take the hatch in neon green please :)

Hatch not available in US

*no idea if thats true or not, but probably :D

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's ok, not like I'd actually get one anyway :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BlackMK4 posted:

People gonna be mad about the price of four cams, dealing with a timing chain / gears / vvt, and engine bay access in the aftermarket after years of being blessed by single cam jesus

as if thousands of voices suddenly cried out in terror at learning why GM has been sticking with the SBC for fifty years

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Mk8 Golf R's $45K price tag would have made a lot more sense if it had the Audi 5-cylinder, but alas, Audi vetoed this from happening.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BloodBag posted:

I just paid off my truck and I'd really like to add a Mustang GT to my garage. Having the 5.0L in a truck and a car has been a thing I've wanted to do for some time now. Man, they sure are expensive though. I bet a nice used GT would be a hoot. I'm not about to swing $50k for a GT performance pack, that's too rich for my blood. I just wonder if I should keep my NA miata or sell it to an enthusiast while the prices are super inflated and wait for GTs to come down in price.

For $50K you should be pretty close to Mach1 range assuming that it's possible to get them near MSRP. The rumor is the next S650 Mustang is coming out in 2022 as a 2023 model based on linked in job posts that car lunatics on Mustang forums were able to find.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s650-mustang-launches-in-2022-as-2023my-reveals-ford-linkedin-post.135787/

Personally, I wouldn't pay anywhere near MSRP for any current gen Mustang outside of the Mach1 or GT500 because you'll take a bath on resale once the new ones come out. If you're looking used, they're likely to get a lot cheaper next year as we find out more about the new model.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks for that information, gives me a couple years to not stress about it which is more inline with my timeline of adding a fun car/mid life crisis vehicle.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is only if you buy from a dealer outside of Oregon though.

To your point there are technically two taxes: one for buying a car from an out-of-state dealer (the "vehicle use tax"), and one for buying from an Oregon dealer (the "vehicle privilege tax"). But you do have to pay 0.5% on a new car purchased in Oregon from an Oregon dealer

https://www.oregon.gov/dor/programs/businesses/Pages/Vehicle-privilege-and-use-taxes.aspx

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was looking at 2020+ GT500 pricing info yesterday and saw some poor dolt in 2019 on a forum saying "Just wait a few months and the ADM will disappear and you'll be able to get one for 75 grand easy!" and it's two years later and the cheapest used ones on Autotrader right now are 85,000 dollars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Stock up on manual transmission anythings!

BUY BUY BUY

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

I was looking at 2020+ GT500 pricing info yesterday and saw some poor dolt in 2019 on a forum saying "Just wait a few months and the ADM will disappear and you'll be able to get one for 75 grand easy!" and it's two years later and the cheapest used ones on Autotrader right now are 85,000 dollars.

GT500s are tough because dealers really don’t get many allocations at all unless they move a lot of cars.

The good news is that the market will be full of GT500s with < 5k miles in 3 years.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ford should just flood the market with them like Dodge does by shoving a Hellcat in every piece of cock a doodle crap they can think of

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Different tax treatment of different vehicles is a bit of a controversy in NZ right now. The govt just introduced a rebate system to give money back on EV and PHEV’s, funded by a fee charged on vehicles over 192g/km CO2. The biggest selling new cars are double cab utes and all of them are hit by the fee. Farmers are up in arms (they even drove into the big smoke in their tractors to protest the other day, jokes on them they thought they could gently caress up traffic more than it already is, idiots).

However the core problem goes back further, in that a business owner can buy a commercial vehicle like a ute and it’s automatically counted as a business vehicle because obviously it is, whereas if they bought a regular car, there’s many more hoops to jump through to prove it’s for business use and you can’t count personal mileage etc. Meaning way less claimable expenses on your business tax bill, to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

So the city streets are clogged with top spec Ranger Wildtracks with a tiny bit of signwriting advertising STEVE’S ACCOUNTING because Steve needs the ute to carry around all his spreadsheets or whatever, plus the added bonus of MANLINESS.

UK readers will be familiar with white van man bearing down in your mirrors - here it’s double cab ute man. Or woman, cos if you’re buying one ute on the business, you might as well buy another for the missus who does the invoices too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

heated game moment posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/19/2023-chevy-corvette-z06-c8-video-sound-flat-plane-crankshaft/

In new car news, the z06 was announced. Well technically it's an announcement for the announcement this fall but it sounds pretty nice.

I think this might end up being the last, best naturally aspirated performance V8.

Came here to post this, but enjoy this blurb from the article:

quote:

A detuned version of this engine is found in the C8.R race car.

That sentence makes me giggle.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Different tax treatment of different vehicles is a bit of a controversy in NZ right now. The govt just introduced a rebate system to give money back on EV and PHEV’s, funded by a fee charged on vehicles over 192g/km CO2. The biggest selling new cars are double cab utes and all of them are hit by the fee. Farmers are up in arms (they even drove into the big smoke in their tractors to protest the other day, jokes on them they thought they could gently caress up traffic more than it already is, idiots).

However the core problem goes back further, in that a business owner can buy a commercial vehicle like a ute and it’s automatically counted as a business vehicle because obviously it is, whereas if they bought a regular car, there’s many more hoops to jump through to prove it’s for business use and you can’t count personal mileage etc. Meaning way less claimable expenses on your business tax bill, to the tune of thousands of dollars a year.

So the city streets are clogged with top spec Ranger Wildtracks with a tiny bit of signwriting advertising STEVE’S ACCOUNTING because Steve needs the ute to carry around all his spreadsheets or whatever, plus the added bonus of MANLINESS.

UK readers will be familiar with white van man bearing down in your mirrors - here it’s double cab ute man. Or woman, cos if you’re buying one ute on the business, you might as well buy another for the missus who does the invoices too.

In Australia it's that utes aren't considered a luxury vehicle but a work vehicle so are exempt from the luxury car tax (37% over 57K) and can buy more features.

Same bullshit driving though.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The UK did briefly have a very similar loophole - all pickups were classified as "commercial vehicles" and therefore got the (cheaper, flat rate) company car tax of £500/year rather than the scaling-with-price-&-CO2 one used for actual cars...and then the govt went "Why are we letting people scam is like this? Only global megacorporations are allowed to do that!" and put out a statement basically going if you use a vehicle as a car ( rather than a working vehicle) then it's going to be taxed as a car and if you lie that's tax fraud and we'll throw you in jail.

Pickup sales promptly dropped off a cliff.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Laserface posted:

In Australia it's that utes aren't considered a luxury vehicle but a work vehicle so are exempt from the luxury car tax (37% over 57K) and can buy more features.

Same bullshit driving though.

Wasn’t the LCT to protect the local industry you don’t have any more? The threshold always seemed pretty low to me too, like a very 1980’s idea of what a luxury car costs. From a quick look, a drat Escape Hybrid is $57k. I’m all for taxing the rich but drat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here it worked with any wagon. You just have to put a mesh separating the trunk area and it qualifies as a business vehicle.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It's sad that commercial vehicles are allowed to be practical enough for daily use. Just recently I read a review of Ford Ranger Raptor in finnish car mag, top speed obviously limited to 89 km/h so you can register it as commercial truck and don't have to pay the horrendous car tax. If I had one of those a piece of my soul would be carved out every time I bunch it at an onramp :flaccid:

Finland has long tradition with car tax triggery. Old favourite are 70s, 80s american station wagons where the rear seat has been replaced with plywood bench with 90° angle and no more than 5cm of padding.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Those laws are the reason why Mercedes sold a pick up for a while.

Around here (Finland) those rules still apply and most contractors have V6 Amarok's, Arctic Trucks, American import trucks or really high end vans for their "company car". My neighbour even has a Cadillac Escalade EXT, ffs.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Saukkis posted:

Finland has long tradition with car tax triggery. Old favourite are 70s, 80s american station wagons where the rear seat has been replaced with plywood bench with 90° angle and no more than 5cm of padding.
They also had those tax "vans" like the Citeron BX van: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_BX#BX_Van

Also 80s American cars could / would be converted into pickups, stuff like Pontiac Firebirds and others: https://www.nettiauto.com/en/pontiac/firebird/11595199

:finland:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The more efficient 2wd models will probably just sneak in under the cap. Hard to say though as part of the scheme is switching to using WLTP numbers instead of ADR and WLTP is not available for most models yet.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

so is a dually platinum trim f-350 diesel like the biggest status vehicle you can drive in europe then

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Wasn’t the LCT to protect the local industry you don’t have any more? The threshold always seemed pretty low to me too, like a very 1980’s idea of what a luxury car costs. From a quick look, a drat Escape Hybrid is $57k. I’m all for taxing the rich but drat.

yes. this was on top of the import tariffs on any non-aussie car (all of them) which still exist.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

so is a dually platinum trim f-350 diesel like the biggest status vehicle you can drive in europe then

In Europe no. In Australia and NZ maybe, but tbh a Ranger is already impractically large on most NZ roads and all NZ carparks.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

dissss posted:

In Europe no. In Australia and NZ maybe, but tbh a Ranger is already impractically large on most NZ roads and all NZ carparks.

Same for America but that doesn't stop anyone

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rangers are bordering on the biggest thing you can comfortably drive in australia regularly and Dodge and chevy are both going guns blazing on bring over RAM 1500s and silverados its nuts.

100 loving grand for a big rear end piece of poo poo american truck what the hell is wrong with people

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Same for America but that doesn't stop anyone

When I visited the USA I was in awe of how large your carparks are.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Have you SEEN a Costco parking space?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

every parking space should be a Costco space

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

heated game moment posted:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/19/2023-chevy-corvette-z06-c8-video-sound-flat-plane-crankshaft/

In new car news, the z06 was announced. Well technically it's an announcement for the announcement this fall but it sounds pretty nice.

I think this might end up being the last, best naturally aspirated performance V8.

If its a 9k RPM screamer engine like the article is theorizing then itll be the last, best NA performance engine.

I dont think anyone else is doing NA in their halo cars anymore.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If its a 9k RPM screamer engine like the article is theorizing then itll be the last, best NA performance engine.

I dont think anyone else is doing NA in their halo cars anymore.

Lexus still offers an NA v8 on their performance vehicles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Porsche has NA flat sixes too

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Murgos posted:

Lexus still offers an NA v8 on their performance vehicles.

With the LX moving to a turbo 6, I expect the rest of the V8s to be phased out as the line gets refreshed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mobby_6kl posted:

Porsche has NA flat sixes too

Sometimes i forget the gt3 exists

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sometimes i forget the gt3 exists

GT4/GTS as well. (different engine but still NA flat 6)

Lamborghini has a NA V10 and V12. The coyote in the Mustang GT is still NA as well.

Challenger/Charger has two different NA V8 options.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 21, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

Lamborghini has a NA V10 and V12. The coyote in the Mustang GT is still NA as well.
Audi uses the same NA V10 in the R8

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Which is going away soon. RIP :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Apollo posted:

A guy around the corner has a lime green R8 and it sounds like a loving racecar and I *love* it. Beautiful loving sound.