Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Cornugon Smash/Dreadful Carnage is a build that is insanely strong basically regardless of what chassis you attach it to, to the point that you can effectively describe the build as Cornugon Smasher rather than whatever specific class components were used to achieve it.

Which is not a criticism, for me at least, because Pathfinder is a jank rear end system so whatever works works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

In theory, I want to like Pillars of Eternity a lot more than Kingmaker. It's a more thoughtful, well put together game but the act of playing it just did not grab me in the same way that Kingmaker did. Kingmaker, for all that it is a jank rear end game, does the Zero To Hero High Fantasy Baldurs Gate thing very very well.

Also Greybor in Wrath is the dapperest dwarf I've ever seen in my life. He is immaculately coifed.

I will say I think Pillars 2 is the best the baldur's gate style of CRPG has ever been, but thought the first pillars was pretty mediocre. Just a whole lot of improvements to both the gameplay systems and the writing, plus the conditional tactics system made RTWP a lot less micromanagement heavy for the bulk of fights.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alright, project’s done! Time to… invade Nyrissa’s dreams? War is weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, let me make sure I’ve got all this.

Nyrissa did something to try to become an Eldest. This failed because lol, and pissed off the Lantern King. Said Lantern King punished her by tearing out her emotions, her “unrequited love(?)”, turning them into a wooden sword called Briar, and telling her that her penance was to destroy a thousand kingdoms. She’s been powerleveling this by using the Stolen Lands as her own personal sandcastle, guiding leaders of all stripes, and supporting them right up until they qualify as a kingdom. Then she pulls their legs out from under them, or sets them against each other, getting one grain of punishment sand every time one of them falls. (Hence the attempt to assassinate me in the Verdant Chambers.) Me, Armag, the Stag Lord, and Irovetti were all just pieces on the board to her.

My kingdom has mostly stood out by being remarkably resistant to all the tricks that have worked in the past, which is pissing her off something fierce, so she’s escalating more and more as she tries to get rid of me. And now that I’ve invaded her dreams, she’s trying to change tac, and use me as a weapon for destroying other kingdoms. Or at least that’s the line she’s feeding me. Because I’m not exactly ready to believe her out of hand.

And, can I just say how ham-handed this attempt at making her relatable is? It’s like, peak over-the-top tragic backstory.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
If the game were a campaign, I'd say the DM ran out of steam before the end and couldn't come up with a good ending, so they delayed you via bullshit encounters and the whole drawn-out funhouse meetup crap. Then when everyone got through that, they still didn't have anything good, so they ladled on some pathos and offered the REAL bad guy boss encounter as a distraction/apology tactic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

“It’s no secret that you’re failing to rule your country properly.” He says, when my attitude is at Serene and has been for over a year now.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

girl dick energy posted:

And, can I just say how ham-handed this attempt at making her relatable is? It’s like, peak over-the-top tragic backstory.

I mean, it's the fae, it's always going to be large and stupidly dramatic and over-the-top.

As for PoE chat: I generally liked Kingmaker much more than either PoE. I think the main reason is that it never fell into the very Obsidian pitfalls that the PoEs really were terrible at: overly dramatic and occasionally purple prose to try and evoke literature; having the overall plot grind to a terrible halt as you came to a new location and suddenly had a million new people to meet and side quests to pick up; and having conversations just turn into long, drawn-out plot and background expositions to try and explain their world and the concepts.

In comparison, Kingmaker has as much content but that content is fairly linear and direct with only a few side quests and errands; keeps its prose pretty straightforward and clear rather than trying to impress you with how artistic it is; and generally keeps its exposition short, maybe woefully so.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i think for me the thing that elevates kingmaker is the complex and completely broken pathfinder system - i love having tons of useless cruft because you can make absolutely insane character ideas

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Irovetti’s castle was a pretty fun dungeon, have to admit. Even if the man himself went down like a chump and my game crashed when I tried to “loot all” on my way out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

So, let me make sure I’ve got all this.

Nyrissa did something to try to become an Eldest. This failed because lol, and pissed off the Lantern King. Said Lantern King punished her by tearing out her emotions, her “unrequited love(?)”, turning them into a wooden sword called Briar, and telling her that her penance was to destroy a thousand kingdoms. She’s been powerleveling this by using the Stolen Lands as her own personal sandcastle, guiding leaders of all stripes, and supporting them right up until they qualify as a kingdom. Then she pulls their legs out from under them, or sets them against each other, getting one grain of punishment sand every time one of them falls. (Hence the attempt to assassinate me in the Verdant Chambers.) Me, Armag, the Stag Lord, and Irovetti were all just pieces on the board to her.

My kingdom has mostly stood out by being remarkably resistant to all the tricks that have worked in the past, which is pissing her off something fierce, so she’s escalating more and more as she tries to get rid of me. And now that I’ve invaded her dreams, she’s trying to change tac, and use me as a weapon for destroying other kingdoms. Or at least that’s the line she’s feeding me. Because I’m not exactly ready to believe her out of hand.

Sort of

She was less trying to become an Eldest directly and more trying to carve out her own kingdom where things would be less poo poo. Which kind of amounts to the same thing but the distinction is relevant.

I don’t know if I can agree that it’s ham handed though. This is classic fey mythology/story telling. The fair folk are unimaginably beautiful and just as cruel. The Lantern King exemplifies that fickle cruelty. So yeah, to someone he feels took a swing at him, whether they did or not, he is going to answer that “slight” by turning the screws for a thousand years or more by turning your suffering into theatre. Into a game.

This is exactly the kind of deity he is. Kingmaker gets the First World and the fey perfectly. To whatever extent Nyrissa has been puppeting you or Irovetti or whoever, all of that happens because the Lantern King wills it so. She is just another actor on the stage. If you defeat the ‘villainous Nyrissa’ then that’s fine by him, she slighted him in the first place. Forcing her to commit endless atrocities against her will and then having her fall short at the eleventh hour is a perfect final victory for him. If you lose, he gets the spectacle of another mortal kingdom tragically destroyed. Lantern King wins either way.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 20, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyrissa is the loving secret romance option, isn’t she?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

girl dick energy posted:

yes and you basically have to have been pursuing it with super specific options from the very first dream

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mister Olympus posted:

yes and you basically have to have been pursuing it with super specific options from the very first dream

Goddammit. I knew you needed it for the "best" ending, but I thought it was a late game choice.

Can I Bag of Tricks this poo poo? I've beaten the barbarians already, I'm not restarting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

girl dick energy posted:

Hah. I literally never even twigged that was an option.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Goddammit. I knew you needed it for the "best" ending, but I thought it was a late game choice.

Can I Bag of Tricks this poo poo? I've beaten the barbarians already, I'm not restarting.

Nyrissa should be an option in the romance section of Bag of Tricks, pretty sure you just need to get her to full romance levels for the best ending and to not be romancing anyone else. I noticed her when I had to add a few points to Reg to get the poly romance to fire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

"best ending" is up for debate, it's barely different from the other 'secret' ending.

You can get the 'secret' ending based on some things you do in the last dungeon (i.e making deals with fae is a bad idea) and just exploring the convo options. You'll need to "understand curses" which isn't entirely clear what you need to know but between the curse research and a couple of in-game encounters you should have more then enough for it.

Basically, the game is 6 chapters. The 7th is the secret. The romance is just a little tiny bit extra on the top. And honestly, without a guide starting from chapter one the romance is likely impossible just from how many save or die skill checks you need to progress it. Miss one, and its over.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 20, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just annexed Pitax. Is this the fabled part of the game that’s a huge chunk of free time to get my ducks in a row before poo poo Gets Real?

And I feel like I must have hosed up Ekun’s companion quest, because I still haven’t gotten anything after we finished dealing with his evil murder ex, but the quest is marked as completed. I have everyone’s now except for him and Octavia, and I know what I need to do for hers, I just haven’t had the chance yet.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nah, you've finished Ekun's quest. It's really not that much when compared to, say, Jubliost's.

And yeah, I think you're at the "here are a few years to get your poo poo together, also, explore some side quests to the fullest" point.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

girl dick energy posted:

I just annexed Pitax. Is this the fabled part of the game that’s a huge chunk of free time to get my ducks in a row before poo poo Gets Real?

And I feel like I must have hosed up Ekun’s companion quest, because I still haven’t gotten anything after we finished dealing with his evil murder ex, but the quest is marked as completed. I have everyone’s now except for him and Octavia, and I know what I need to do for hers, I just haven’t had the chance yet.

Check Ekun’s dog; it should have a bonus ability giving it a stat buff when you finish his quest. It’s probably done. It’s just very low key.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Pretty much yeah.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
The checklist for the secret romance is so exacting I suggest you just google it.

It's something you have to do from the start, and there's a lot of critical steps along the way you can't screw up.

Besides being nice to Nyrissa in the dreams, you have to make Tristian likes you enough to destroy the oculus. There's more but thats a few big points.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mercenary companion review (low level):

Druid: C-
The bear that comes with the druid: A+

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Goofballs posted:

I'm just adding money via that bag of tricks mod. I don't want to go super obnoxious and buy 500k worth of kingdom upgrades or get a load of equipment that would break the balance so I'm trying to be reasonable and guessing what would a fair player have at this point if they struggled with all the limitations

that said I just got my barony so I don't know what the player income should be at this point

You make more money than you can spend eventually, especially if you're picking up all the loot to sell from every corpse. Cheating in money is so inconsequential it barely registers as cheating since money is mostly a non-element in the game. I would advise getting a mod that automatically cleans up corpses when you leave an area, especially since you don't need the junk money. It's a good mod anyway since it'll show you a compiled list of all loot left on the ground, good for when you accidentally missed a corpse in a messy room or whatever. The main thing is just to reduce save file bloat and loading.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Best Friends posted:

Mercenary companion review (low level):

Druid: C-
The bear that comes with the druid: A+

How are you building the druid and what are your goals with him? The big thing to keep in mind with wild shape is that it's stat bonuses are added onto your base stats, so a wimpy caster form turns into a wimpy bear.

If your building specifically for Wild shape - If it's a Merc, completely dump stat Int and CHa down to 7. Focus on getting to like 16 str, 14 Dex 14 con 16 wis. A 2 level dip into monk is good. You can wear a shield and no armor and when you wild shape you can get both the monk unsettled bonus while still having shield ac in wild shape somehow. Also unlocks crane style, which is aces for bear druids.

Get natural spell asap so you can buff and such while shapeshifted.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 20, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have beatn this game. I am free. FREEEEE. (The brain worms will be back and I'll be playing the wotr beta within weeks won't I?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I finish my run, I’m immediately turning around and playing Lawful Evil or roguelike mode.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

girl dick energy posted:

I finish my run, I’m immediately turning around and playing Lawful Evil or roguelike mode.

Reading your posts I’m trying to decide whether to start a new run as a sacred huntmaster or wait and play that character in Wrath.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 20, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

How are you building the druid and what are your goals with him? The big thing to keep in mind with wild shape is that it's stat bonuses are added onto your base stats, so a wimpy caster form turns into a wimpy bear.

If your building specifically for Wild shape - If it's a Merc, completely dump stat Int and CHa down to 7. Focus on getting to like 16 str, 14 Dex 14 con 16 wis. A 2 level dip into monk is good. You can wear a shield and no armor and when you wild shape you can get both the monk unsettled bonus while still having shield ac in wild shape somehow. Also unlocks crane style, which is aces for bear druids.

Get natural spell asap so you can buff and such while shapeshifted.

I did a defender of the true world, so I only just got to her wild shape. I built her with lots of wisdom and Dex. She's an okay archer. Her spells so far mostly have ludicrous radii so I haven't used them much. But that bear companion hits as hard as Amira.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have beatn this game. I am free. FREEEEE. (The brain worms will be back and I'll be playing the wotr beta within weeks won't I?)

Eh.....I'd wait for at least a few weeks for the initial problems to either get ironed out, or the forums/question posts for all the mind bending bullshit are archived in search engines.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The game is coming out in like 5 weeks, so might as well just wait. Also the beta is ridiculously expensive.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nephthys posted:

The game is coming out in like 5 weeks, so might as well just wait. Also the beta is ridiculously expensive.

Seriously. If you have enough money to spend on the beta and a burning urge to play a D&D-based game now, buy Solasta or something and then WotR when you're done with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got my chair back! 100 gold is way less than I was expecting.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
dont bother with the beta until it gets a few hotfixes out - the current one has game stopping issues where you can't talk to some npcs and crashes during a plot mandatory battle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wow, gently caress this Ravenous Queen quest, I’m not traveling back and forth between five locations for a logic puzzle. I’m just looking this poo poo up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

girl dick energy posted:

Wow, gently caress this Ravenous Queen quest, I’m not traveling back and forth between five locations for a logic puzzle. I’m just looking this poo poo up.

what's your current playtime?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sebmojo posted:

what's your current playtime?
Five days, sixteen hours.

:negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Is that the one where you have to move a pylon into a specific place on grids on diff maps? I looked that one up too, too much trekking to have to go back a place. It was also another "villain" the game expected you to kill but like, there's nothing wrong with worshipping demons and I feel bad she got betrayed so hard. Besides, queens should support queens.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

girl dick energy posted:

Same. Though, apparently you can solve each one using only on-site information where you find it. But gently caress if I was ever figuring that one out. The reward is hella nice though if you have a heavy armor user around.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Is that the one where you have to move a pylon into a specific place on grids on diff maps? I looked that one up too, too much trekking to have to go back a place. It was also another "villain" the game expected you to kill but like, there's nothing wrong with worshipping demons and I feel bad she got betrayed so hard. Besides, queens should support queens.

Uhhh yeah I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with worshipping demons in Pathfinder land. Namely the whole existential threat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Of all the takes I expected to see in this thread, “there’s nothing wrong with worshipping Chaotic Evil demons” is not one of them.

Worshipping devils, on the other hand, is just foolish and a recipe for getting played, rather than actively self-destructive.