Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I swear he used to be a bit of a limp.guardian centrist, but it's been fun seeing him slowly get radicalised.

In the 90s he set up This land is ours here, and campaigned against eg theft-masquerading-as-development in Africa - he's always been a radical, if sometimes too optimistic about what demos might achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be honest the labour right loving things up so badly they accidentally purge all the careerists at party HQ would be a pretty loving funny outcome of all this.

I got the poor people’s membership and took great delight in not voting for the career melts they put at the top of the ballet.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I swear he used to be a bit of a limp.guardian centrist, but it's been fun seeing him slowly get radicalised.

People often get this imagine of him. Hes got a posh voice, he went to Oxford, his parents were conservatives and he writes for the Guardian. But besides a brief interlude of backing the lib dems in 2010, he's always been a vocal critic of capitalism and not just for its environmental impact, while its his main shtick he's done books on forced tribal displacement and the guise of 'capitalism helping the poor'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Maybe people are mixing him up with Paul Mason? I know I do

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the statutory these days? Used to be 1 week for every week worked if you're under 44 and 2 weeks over IIRC.

Maximum of 16k-ish. It's not open-ended.

https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be honest the labour right loving things up so badly they accidentally purge all the careerists at party HQ would be a pretty loving funny outcome of all this.

one of them will be fine

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1417460188920139777

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just Another Lurker posted:

He tried to do that vain latin oneupmanship thing on a previous Taoiseach or Irish President who had done Latin & Greek at Trinity College Dublin (i wish to hell i remembered who it was), Boris was put in his place at the end of it.

The guy he did it with is Leo Varadkar*.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-30949627.html

It's probably why Unionists keep putting up graffiti saying they will kill Leo.

*= Leopold Varadkar invented the VAR, a device designed to catch offside rules violation missed by referees, while attempting to invent a machine that would catch welfare cheats.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So I got an email a couple of days ago about voting for the Labour conference arranging committee. I'm sure it won't make a drat bit of difference but is there a left slate for this or anything?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/gilescoren/status/1417458339894730770

Just Giles Coren gloating about Dawn Foster dying.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If Giles Coren is okay with laughing at someone when they died because they made fun of him and his family presumably hes laughed at everyone thats ever met him and later died.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absolutely laugh at your enemies dying but just don't complain if everyone else liked them and takes issue with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Much like the story with the old man and the wooden bowl, Coren is just tacitly giving us all permission to laugh at him whenever anyone he cares about dies, and then laugh at all of his relatives when he dies.

Screenshot the tweet and keep it for that day.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Can't believe Dawn Foster had Giles Coren swatted.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

So I got an email a couple of days ago about voting for the Labour conference arranging committee. I'm sure it won't make a drat bit of difference but is there a left slate for this or anything?

The momentum slate is as follows.

We are once again backing the excellent Seema and Billy:

Seema Chandwani (L1187007)
Billy Hayes (A065571)
We need to get Seema and Billy nominated by our CLPs before the deadline of 11th June. There will then be an OMOV ballot that opens on 5th July, where members will have the chance to vote for a CAC that will represent the grassroots.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

Genuinely hope Giles Coren gets the same bowel obstruction Bolsonaro had where they had to extract his poo poo through his nose

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TheRat posted:

What an absolute oval office

https://twitter.com/jameskhansen/status/1417494598436507662?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Genuinely hope Giles Coren gets the same bowel obstruction Bolsonaro had where they had to extract his poo poo through his nose
The poo poo is Giles Coren, the rest is just a meat suit, like Krang from TMNT.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sooo random question/problem kinda.

I rent a house. The landlord has made a 'parking space' in front of the house when he remodelled it. This parking space isn't legal, according to a letter the council sent me a few weeks ago, because there's no dropped curb on the pavement in front of it (so anyone parking there is damaging the pavement). I have no car, so fine, but they have threatened to take me to court if I let anyone park there, and this rear end in a top hat in a giant white SUV has been doing so every other day or so for months now right in front of my front window (hence the letter the council sent me). I have no idea who he is. He's out of/into the car before I've ever seen him.

I put a note in my window pointing out it's illegal to park here. I've put up cones in the front yard - he just moves them out of the way and parks there anyway. I've put several notes on his windshield, the most recent of which points out a) he's trespassing and b) I can have his poo poo towed.

I can't just let it be given the whole council lawsuit possibility thing, so, um, what do? I don't actually want to escalate to calling a tow truck (and paying for it myself presumably, I'm already out 50 quid for the cones). As a tenant I can't put a proper fence in or anything. Or, y'know, my preferred alternatives of severe tire damage strips or caltrops. Can the council do anything given this is private property he's parking on?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 20, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

We are once again backing the excellent Seema and Billy:

Thanks, done.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmegin posted:

I rent a house. The landlord has made a 'parking space' in front of the house when he remodelled it. This parking space isn't legal, according to a letter the council sent me a few weeks ago, because there's no dropped curb on the pavement in front of it (so anyone parking there is damaging the pavement). I have no car, so fine, but they have threatened to take me to court if I let anyone park there, and this rear end in a top hat in a giant white SUV has been doing so every other day or so for months now right in front of my front window (hence the letter the council sent me). I have no idea who he is. He's out of/into the car before I've ever seen him.

I put a note in my window pointing out it's illegal to park here. I've put up cones in the front yard - he just moves them out of the way and parks there anyway. I've put several notes on his windshield, the most recent of which points out a) he's trespassing and b) I can have his poo poo towed.

I can't just let it be given the whole council lawsuit possibility thing, so, um, what do? I don't actually want to escalate to calling a tow truck (and paying for it myself presumably, I'm already out 50 quid for the cones). As a tenant I can't put a proper fence in or anything. Or, y'know, my preferred alternatives of severe tire damage strips or caltrops. Can the council do anything given this is private property he's parking on?

Sounds like the landlord's problem. It's his parking space.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

People often get this imagine of him. Hes got a posh voice, he went to Oxford, his parents were conservatives and he writes for the Guardian. But besides a brief interlude of backing the lib dems in 2010, he's always been a vocal critic of capitalism and not just for its environmental impact, while its his main shtick he's done books on forced tribal displacement and the guise of 'capitalism helping the poor'.

I think the bolded bit is where I got that impressin, but drat, the rest of that owns.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

> use caltrops on landlord_

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Clamp it, put a fake penalty notice on the windscreen, put the landlord's details on the penalty notice, deny any knowledge of any part of it. Like watching a wasp land on a stinging nettle.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sassassin posted:

Sounds like the landlord's problem. It's his parking space.

I'm the one living here, and as the tenant I'm the one with the legal right/responsibility to decide who's allowed on premises, and again, very specifically, I'm the one the Council will take to court not him.

Edit: by 'parking space' I merely mean my front yard is just, like, paving slabs and there is no fence between it and the street. So that one can physically park a car there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Clamp it, put a fake penalty notice on the windscreen, put the landlord's details on the penalty notice, deny any knowledge of any part of it. Like watching a wasp land on a stinging nettle.

Have you seen how much a clamp costs? looks like 500 quid ish. Yes I have been researching. Also 'severe tyre damage strip' ;p

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This sounds like it could be a job for the Citizens Advice Bureau

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've seen some cheap lovely ones for about £30 if the intent is to annoy rather than seriously impound the vehicle.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Stick a big rock in the middle of the space

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen some cheap lovely ones for about £30 if the intent is to annoy rather than seriously impound the vehicle.

Not sure I'm quite ready for that level of aggro yet, but, links?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the bolded bit is where I got that impressin, but drat, the rest of that owns.
Honestly if you were to permenantly tar someone's reputation based on voting lib dem in 2010, half this thread would have to stop posting. The difference is if you realise it was a horrible mistake or not, and Monbiot clearly seems to be on the right side of things:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1318936981536210944?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Not sure I'm quite ready for that level of aggro yet, but, links?
These type ones aren't terrible.

It's unlawful to clamp on private land, so if one were to do something like that it's important that somebody else appeared to do it. In roblox or whatever.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

feedmegin posted:

I’m not a solicitor but the driver of the car is the one committing the offence of driving a vehicle over the pavement - not you. I expect the council has contacted you on the assumption of it being your car.

Are there any neighbours you’re on good terms with who can park their car on the road and block access?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Stick a big rock in the middle of the space

This.

Or just a bunch of small sharp rocks, either way.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m not a solicitor but the driver of the car is the one committing the offence of driving a vehicle over the pavement - not you. I expect the council has contacted you on the assumption of it being your car.

The letter I got from them wasn't 'your car' it was 'permitting someone to park there', though.

I mean, between the note in the window pointing out the council says dont park here and the cones and the photographs of the notes I've left on his windshield, I would hope I could prove I'm not permitting a drat thing, but I would really like this guy to just loving stop it so I don't have to worry about it, y'know?

I guess the other alternative is to move house, which given my landlord keeps trying to turn this place into an HMO so he can pack 10 eastern european dudes into it may happen at some point anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you told the council that you rent the house, it's not your car, and you don't know who owns it?

Edit: Double check that the landlord hasn't listed the space on JustPark as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

The guy he did it with is Leo Varadkar*.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-30949627.html

It's probably why Unionists keep putting up graffiti saying they will kill Leo.

*= Leopold Varadkar invented the VAR, a device designed to catch offside rules violation missed by referees, while attempting to invent a machine that would catch welfare cheats.

I don't think that's it, that example is just Leo being equally smarmy and Classics-y, not calling him out. There was definitely another example where he was called out for butchering the quote he was trying to deliver.

Couldn't find it on a quick search, butndid find a great Guardian headline

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2010/mar/15/boris-johnson-ed-balls-head-butt-latin

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like from a strict legal standpoint, there's an interesting argument to be had about the chain of responsibility between an SUV dickhead parking illegally in a parking bay the landlord put up without permission, and how any of that could possibly be the responsibility of the tenant.

From the standpoint of a bored magistrate who just wants to clock off and go to lunch vs a tenant who can't afford legal representation, I suspect it would go very differently.

Is the area not supposed to be parked in at all? It sounds like it if they're talking about damaging the kerb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely curious about the caltrops idea, if it's your house and someone parks on it presumably it's their dumbass fault.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is the area not supposed to be parked in at all? It sounds like it if they're talking about damaging the kerb.

That is what the letter said, yes. My landlord is pretty shady and remodelled this whole house without bothering to ask the council first, which is why they've repeatedly told him to gently caress off when he's applied for permission to rent it out as an HMO - he's allowed single family only (that's us, occupying the ground floor of a currently otherwise unoccupied 3 storey house). As part of that I assume he created the paved open front yard as a place to park as part of that without bothering to check with the council that that was actually legal, which turns out it isn't when they did a general 'let's clean up this street' inspection thing a few weeks ago (so another house apparently got the same letter, various abandoned cars got towed, other people got ticketed for illegal parking, yada yada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
wait for him to gently caress off then just total his car with a tire iron and poo poo in the glove compartment, op