Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there not like a service that will remove illegally parked cars or something? If the council doesn't want the people parking there why can't they come remove them themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not on council land, so it's not a parking offence. It's a 'driving on the pavement' offence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Could you buy like a cheap plastic garden chair and put it in the slot? Something that isn't permanent but still would be an obstruction for the arsehole neighbour

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

forkboy84 posted:

Could you buy like a cheap plastic garden chair and put it in the slot? Something that isn't permanent but still would be an obstruction for the arsehole neighbour

OP already tried this with cones. Arsehole driver just got out and moved them.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Trespass is a civil, not criminal, offence. Unless he's blocking emergency access there's not much you can do short of sinking a bollard or similar. We had issues with some chancer dumping his car for entire weekends in the flat's parking spaces; my ex-solicitor sister-in-law's official legal advice started with "do you think you could take him in a fight?"

Perhaps mention in passing that you always wanted to know if the "potato in exhaust" thing was an urban myth or not.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dump a really big rock in the middle of the driveway, put a few flowers around it and call it a garden feature.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smash his windscreen and leave a threatening message from the notorious Polish racist Pavel Pilnik.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
superglue a bunch of screws all over the space under cover of darkness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not on council land, so it's not a parking offence. It's a 'driving on the pavement' offence.

That's even weirder though because how the gently caress can it be tenant's, or even homeowner's responsibility to stop people driving on the pavement outside their house?

Like if you were allowed a shotgun maybe but how else?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Pay some local ne'er-do-wells to come and slash his tyres
[edit]
Preferably on a day when there's irrefutable proof you were nowhere near your home, y'honour

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OwlFancier posted:

That's even weirder though because how the gently caress can it be tenant's, or even homeowner's responsibility to stop people driving on the pavement outside their house?

Like if you were allowed a shotgun maybe but how else?

If you hate the landlord then see if you can convince the council to install bollards along the edge of the path

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: Double check that the landlord hasn't listed the space on JustPark as well.

Urgh, without googling this, I'm going to assume it's an often-illegal carpark company pretending to be an app, like Uber and Airbnb?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If I was the OP I'd talk to the CAB I guess. If you can't get the landlord to let you put in some sort of heavy block like a boulder then maybe you can explain that any fine you'll deduct from your rent

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't think that's it, that example is just Leo being equally smarmy and Classics-y, not calling him out. There was definitely another example where he was called out for butchering the quote he was trying to deliver.

Pretty sure it was one of the older statesmen and Boris at some big dinner event (pre covid).
They were trading quotes and he got wiped. :shrug:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'd choose violence. Its ypur property I'm sure there are a few things you could legally do that might incidentally cause damage to a car illegally parked on your property.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

feedmegin posted:

The letter I got from them wasn't 'your car' it was 'permitting someone to park there', though.

I mean, between the note in the window pointing out the council says dont park here and the cones and the photographs of the notes I've left on his windshield, I would hope I could prove I'm not permitting a drat thing, but I would really like this guy to just loving stop it so I don't have to worry about it, y'know?

I guess the other alternative is to move house, which given my landlord keeps trying to turn this place into an HMO so he can pack 10 eastern european dudes into it may happen at some point anyway.

Pretty much this.
The offence you are being charged with is allowing your land to be parked on. The defence that you have to show is that you are not allowing this to happen and that you have been making attempts to prevent this from happening. The fact that you haven't failed to get this dickhead to stop parking on your property* is irrelevant.
Your letters and photographs and cones are all proof that you aren't allowing him to do so. You could escalate it by putting cones on the spot and then video him (even from your window, no need to go outside.) parking and removing said cones. All while narrating to the camera that he is doing this without your permission.

Another option is check out the guys car after he's gone. It's a gamble, but if this guy ignores parking regulation, his Insurance/Road Tax might be out of date. If it is, you can absolutely call the police on him for that.

* = The fact that it's not your property is very much also a defense, but we can focus on one issue at a time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
pour a load of birdseed on the car and watch as they poo poo all over it

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

feedmegin posted:

The letter I got from them wasn't 'your car' it was 'permitting someone to park there', though.

I mean, between the note in the window pointing out the council says dont park here and the cones and the photographs of the notes I've left on his windshield, I would hope I could prove I'm not permitting a drat thing, but I would really like this guy to just loving stop it so I don't have to worry about it, y'know?

I guess the other alternative is to move house, which given my landlord keeps trying to turn this place into an HMO so he can pack 10 eastern european dudes into it may happen at some point anyway.

As people have said I'd speak to CAB. Also a good idea to email local counsellors and ask them to intervene on your behalf. MP pxuld be worth a shot, but I'd go to the counsellors first u less you have prior experience of them being useless

Also this:

Julio Cruz posted:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The momentum slate is as follows.

We are once again backing the excellent Seema and Billy:

Seema Chandwani (L1187007)
Billy Hayes (A065571)
We need to get Seema and Billy nominated by our CLPs before the deadline of 11th June. There will then be an OMOV ballot that opens on 5th July, where members will have the chance to vote for a CAC that will represent the grassroots.

Thanks, just voted as well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pretty sure it was one of the older statesmen and Boris at some big dinner event (pre covid).
They were trading quotes and he got wiped. :shrug:

There's this but not sure it's quite what you were thinking:

https://www.indy100.com/news/gordon-brown-boris-johnson-brexit-latin-good-morning-britain-9709396

quote:

quote:

I think it’s a mistake. A prime minister is there to be criticised for getting things wrong particularly if you have so many U-turns.

The funny thing about Boris Johnson is it’s his favourite to talk about Latin words but there are two he doesn’t seem to know - mea culpa.
In case you missed it; 'mea culpa' translates as 'my fault' - a phrase which seldom comes out of the mouth of Johnson.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

pour coke all over it, cheap key blanks snapped off in all the locks, expanding foam up the exhaust, piss into the air intake below the windscreen, and so on

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Get Virgin Media to install a box on the space:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/woman-furious-virgin-media-install-21067566

But seriously:

This is a list of things you shouldn't do:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/motoring/motoring-news/parking-rules-law-drive-street-14760027

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 20, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If this is your driveway, and someone is moving cones to park there, then I'm sure it's not just a random local worker. Either your landlord has told someone they can park there, or it's listed on one of the parking apps (and your landlord is making money off it).

Have you spoken to the landlord about it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

That is what the letter said, yes. My landlord is pretty shady and remodelled this whole house without bothering to ask the council first, which is why they've repeatedly told him to gently caress off when he's applied for permission to rent it out as an HMO - he's allowed single family only (that's us, occupying the ground floor of a currently otherwise unoccupied 3 storey house). As part of that I assume he created the paved open front yard as a place to park as part of that without bothering to check with the council that that was actually legal, which turns out it isn't when they did a general 'let's clean up this street' inspection thing a few weeks ago (so another house apparently got the same letter, various abandoned cars got towed, other people got ticketed for illegal parking, yada yada).
Oh I see, I thought initially that the landlord had marked out a bay in the street. If it's on the property then gently caress it, tell the landlord about the fines and hope he sorts it out. Is one of the spaces marked as yours?

I guess keep a diary of the days you find the car there and the time you called the landlord to let them know the car is there. If the landlord wants it towed he can pay for it, if he doesn't then he can pay any fine that arises. You have records that show you made him aware at least, and that he's the one who has authority to materially change the property to stop them parking there.

OwlFancier posted:

Ehh, I can see a lazy argument that tenants pay council tax and use the property so should pay any usage costs or fees due to the occupant. It's a lovely arguments and I don't agree with it but I can see the legal argument for it, and I can see a lazy parking enforcer just assuming that the occupant is culpable since it's harder to track down the actual driver. Even though there's gently caress all Gin can do about it without altering the property, which he can't do.

Until Borrovan awakens I don't know the law, I just have a nasty feeling that this is probably the case.

Or,

Julio Cruz posted:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 20, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

pour coke all over it, cheap key blanks snapped off in all the locks, expanding foam up the exhaust, piss into the air intake below the windscreen, and so on

Expanding foam is a good one. The flaw in all of these is that it's pretty easy to deduce motivation, so it comes back to "can you take him in a fight?"

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

If OP is renting one section of an entire house, does the rental agreement cover that “driveway”? If not, it’s clearly not your responsibility despite the council thinking it is (probably based off address).

If the agreement does cover the area, turn it into a garden or something (something very difficult to move quickly but that won’t damage anything and result in lost deposit).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Stick a big rock in the middle of the space

I agree with this approach. £50 should get an absolutely massive boulder.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If it’s a front yard that he’s converted to a parking space and the same person is parking there every day then 99.9% chance the landlord is renting it out to this guy and nothing you do is gonna stop him parking there. Nothing legal, anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was a brilliant story from Canada about a guy that kept parking on someone else's drive, waking them up, being a dick, etc. so every day he put a bin in the middle of the drive, and the guy moved it the first couple of times, then started just shoving it out of the way with the truck, until one night the person living there filled it up with water, knowing that it would freeze, and the truck owner decided to just ram into it again and knackered his vehicle, called the police, and ended up getting laughed at.

Not much chance of a bin full of ice at the moment though :sun:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's raining!

Still loving hot, mind you

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

FeedMeGin forgive me for asking but I didn't notice it in any of your posts, don't like to make assumptions, and the angry sky orb is melting my brain so I may have missed it but, have you spoken directly to the council about this since receiving the letter and if so what was their response?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I agree with this approach. £50 should get an absolutely massive boulder.
£50 would pay for a lot of things, and it shouldn't be gin paying for it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

There was a brilliant story from Canada about a guy that kept parking on someone else's drive, waking them up, being a dick, etc. so every day he put a bin in the middle of the drive, and the guy moved it the first couple of times, then started just shoving it out of the way with the truck, until one night the person living there filled it up with water, knowing that it would freeze, and the truck owner decided to just ram into it again and knackered his vehicle, called the police, and ended up getting laughed at.

This reminds me of a snippet, arrogant doctor parks his BMW in fire lane at hospital regularly, fire engine needs to come one day, rams BMW out of the way in order to do fire engine job, then fire service bills doctor for dent repair on fire engine.

No idea if it's true or not, or what country it's meant to be from, but it is certainly just.

Re the actual problem, a big wooden planter filled with earth would be as inconvenient as a boulder, but easier to put in place (i.e. you don't have to lift it all at once). Assuming that you have any right to use the space, as Pantsmaster Bill says.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

You could try a football filled with concrete I suppose

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

feedmegin posted:

That is what the letter said, yes. My landlord is pretty shady and remodelled this whole house without bothering to ask the council first, which is why they've repeatedly told him to gently caress off when he's applied for permission to rent it out as an HMO - he's allowed single family only (that's us, occupying the ground floor of a currently otherwise unoccupied 3 storey house). As part of that I assume he created the paved open front yard as a place to park as part of that without bothering to check with the council that that was actually legal, which turns out it isn't when they did a general 'let's clean up this street' inspection thing a few weeks ago (so another house apparently got the same letter, various abandoned cars got towed, other people got ticketed for illegal parking, yada yada).

In addition to getting a dropped kerb, you also need planning permission if you impermeably surface more than five square metres. This is because when everyone on the street does it, you've added a load of extra drainage catchment which means the local surface water drainage is more likely to get overwhelmed.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden

You'd be able to check any applications on the planning portal for your local council. It's something a concerned neighbour might report. Especially if there's local flooding during the thunderstorm we're massively overdue.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Call the cops, cops just love petty non crime crimes like parking violations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the bolded bit is where I got that impressin, but drat, the rest of that owns.

His reasons for being anti-Labour in 2010 were also excellent:
https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/may/20/labour.guardiancolumnists

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the main thing that makes me think monbiot is a lib toff is because his name is monbiot. But I couldn't actually point you at anything he's done that I object to and he seems to have his head on right fairly regularly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Here in Canada if someone is parking illegally where they should not be, you call the cops and they send out a parking enforcement officer who then tickets the driver, and if you want them towed the cop does that for you. You don't pay anything, the driver has to pay for the tow when they pick up the vehicle. And it definitely works to have that person never park there again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i just roll my eyes and tsktsk at inconsiderately parked vehicles

like you have to remember the driver might have had to park that way because they have diarrhea