Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah normally a spinebuster is set up with an Irish whip, not deadlifting a potato sack

Yeah, dude tried to leap into it, but just looked awkward. Apparently Hobbs is calling it "Town Business"

His promo later in the show was great. Dude needs the mic more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Scarf posted:

Yeah, dude tried to leap into it, but just looked awkward. Apparently Hobbs is calling it "Town Business"

Nope, that was a classic Toney miscall, Town Business is a completely different move.

He does need more mic time though because he's a great promo.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
^^^ great minds lol

Scarf posted:

He has a different finisher that he calls that name, and I was just assuming that Tony called a move the wrong name again.

His Unrestricted episode was great, and I'm going to really dig if he starts feuding with Brian Cage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Another awesome wrassling moment watching Penta and JD chopping each other :buddy:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Town Business is a press slam I think? He should do an Emerald Flowsion though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ozymandius1024 posted:

His Unrestricted episode was great, and I'm going to really dig if he starts feuding with Brian Cage.

Big meat men... Slappin meat...

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Pylons posted:

Town Business is a press slam I think? He should do an Emerald Flowsion though.

If I remember correctly, Town Business is an Emerald Flowsion. He was using a falling powerslam a la the World's Strongest Slam for a while, but I'm not aware if it was a named move.

Back before he lost his first name they were calling his spinebuster the Last Will and Testament.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Will Hobbs could kill anyone with any move and that's the way I like it. I hope he beats the poo poo out of Brian Cage (no offense Brian you are still cool)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This was my favoruite bit from last night's Elevation.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dynamite only watchers should watch Penta and Eddie's promo after Elevation's main event, as a treat.

(and that match too)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Cutler out works everyone

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He's basically perfect in this role

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cutler feels like someone who has figured out that he is never going to be the Ace of a company where Kenny and the Bucks work, but that a good Fool will always get work. He's genuinely great at it. Little things like not being able to stop spraying are near perfect.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It'll be interesting to see what he does once this Bucks heel run comes to an end.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lamuella posted:

Cutler feels like someone who has figured out that he is never going to be the Ace of a company where Kenny and the Bucks work, but that a good Fool will always get work. He's genuinely great at it. Little things like not being able to stop spraying are near perfect.

One thing I like is that they basically re-gimmicked him when they put him in the role of Elite's young boy. Before he had all the dragon gear and the face paint, but the instant they made him a lackey they put him in a dumb track suit and gave him the stupid looking face mask. They didn't go so far as to put him under a full mask and pretend he is a different character or anything, but they made Geek Cutler visually distinct. So if they complete this angle and they want him to go back to wrestling real matches, they can have an angle where he tosses the mask and the track suit. Even though we all know it's the same guy, it's a good trick to preserve some part of his credibility and not stick him with total comedy jobber forever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cutler seems like a genuine good guy and does pretty decent in ring work. He has that touch for comedy wrestling that isn't WWEcringe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Scarf posted:

:yeah:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

Said this when AEW first started - promotions need Disco Inferno's. Not as in Gilberti who is a tosser, but those loveable jobbers who won't go anywhere but are beloved all the same. It's something WWE long forgot about with the brand being the star and thus everyone has to be 50/50 or a loser.

Hell La Parka in WCW was memorable and a Hall of Famer but can anyone in good faith look at his WCW run as pushed? He was a cool looking skeleton luchador jobber. Much like a certain Pentagon Jr. in Lucha Underground originally.

In conclusion:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

new Sammy. Dustin gets weird. I want their shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziDKbg9nBGQ

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Before he had all the dragon gear and the face paint, but the instant they made him a lackey they put him in a dumb track suit and gave him the stupid looking face mask.

In fairness the face mask is because he suffered an orbital bone fracture or something like that, he done got his face broke, though I'm also not sure if that was kayfabe or not.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Hell La Parka in WCW was memorable and a Hall of Famer but can anyone in good faith look at his WCW run as pushed? He was a cool looking skeleton luchador jobber. Much like a certain Pentagon Jr. in Lucha Underground originally.

In conclusion:

The most damning indictment of WCW is that they couldn't figure out how to get La Parka, a dancing skeleton man who fans instinctively liked, over in any meaningful way.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Lid posted:

In conclusion:

They can always try again, he is just a lot fatter with two skeleton sons. He is pretty well protected now though, but it would be worth it to see chairman vs chairman.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cutler is also listed as "Executive Producer of Content" for AEW, so I guess that's a fancy way of saying he basically heads up creative?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Charlie: ... I'm gonna take 'em out.
Sammy: ... like on a date?!

Sammy has great comic chops lol

edit:
Fuego should beat Aaron Solow's rear end

smarxist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 20, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Oil! posted:

They can always try again, he is just a lot fatter with two skeleton sons. He is pretty well protected now though, but it would be worth it to see chairman vs chairman.

There's always the dream where ROH goes under allowing them to pick up RUSH and the very first thing that happens on RUSH's debut when hes in the ring is that the lights go out and then *guitar riff* FROM THE DAY I WAS BOOOOOORN

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Scarf posted:

Cutler is also listed as "Executive Producer of Content" for AEW, so I guess that's a fancy way of saying he basically heads up creative?

I think that's just a fancy business way of saying "The guy who makes BTE"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Brandon Cutler very clearly understands physical comedy on a deep level and as such he needs to have a match with Orange Cassidy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Scarf posted:

That's BTE

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drakkel posted:

I think that's just a fancy business way of saying "The guy who makes BTE"

It's this. That is in fact the second contract referred to in his nickname, two contract Cutler. I think he also does other non-bte production.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Lid posted:

Said this when AEW first started - promotions need Disco Inferno's. Not as in Gilberti who is a tosser, but those loveable jobbers who won't go anywhere but are beloved all the same. It's something WWE long forgot about with the brand being the star and thus everyone has to be 50/50 or a loser.

In conclusion:

Honestly feels like Fuego falls into this category but as a scrappy babyface jobber you could conceivably run a giant killer angle with at some point or whatever rather than a comedy sad sack loser.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y55jb3r1oKE

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lid posted:

In conclusion:

I just realized that wrestlers still committing to y2k era nu-metal style for their wrestling characters are basically the same gimmick as Disco Inferno in the 90s.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dacap posted:

I just realized that wrestlers still committing to y2k era nu-metal style for their wrestling characters are basically the same gimmick as Disco Inferno in the 90s.

https://i.imgur.com/LFSUO4D.mp4

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lamuella posted:

new Sammy. Dustin gets weird. I want their shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziDKbg9nBGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpfpH46_ErM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Dacap posted:

This is fake news.

Disco was Disco Inferno in 1995.

Disco ended 1980.

So if anything the numetal gimmicks are 5 years more out of date.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

rantmo posted:

In fairness the face mask is because he suffered an orbital bone fracture or something like that, he done got his face broke, though I'm also not sure if that was kayfabe or not.

I think it was just a work so they could put him in the dumb looking mask, but I'm not totally sure on that

if not, he's probably at least been wearing it way longer than he needed to

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

inthesto posted:

Brandon Cutler very clearly understands physical comedy on a deep level and as such he needs to have a match with Orange Cassidy

I want a Critical Botch Battle Royale to happen at some point. Leva needs to win as she's the only person (other than Cutler) who seems to understand D&D beyond "If I roll a 20 I can punch this guy in the dick so hard he explodes".

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Goddammit I'm going to end up buying one of those stupid loving amazing Boy Band t-shirts and then having to explain that it's a bit from a vlog from a wrestling company. If I had any dignity or pride, this would be untenable.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Cutler is our new Virgil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LOWKVq5sQ

rantmo posted:

Goddammit I'm going to end up buying one of those stupid loving amazing Boy Band t-shirts and then having to explain that it's a bit from a vlog from a wrestling company. If I had any dignity or pride, this would be untenable.

If I had a dime for every time I've had to say "It's a band from a webcomic about cats" in my life...