Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Something that looked to my ignorant eye a lot like a B-17 buzzed my house at a few hundred feet today. That was LOUD.

Four engines, tail painted with what I think was the the army air force logo ( https://s.yimg.com/aah/militarybest/us-air-force-roundel-decal-31.gif), and that very tubular shape of the b17. What else might it have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

brugroffil posted:

Something that looked to my ignorant eye a lot like a B-17 buzzed my house at a few hundred feet today. That was LOUD.

Four engines, tail painted with what I think was the the army air force logo ( https://s.yimg.com/aah/militarybest/us-air-force-roundel-decal-31.gif), and that very tubular shape of the b17. What else might it have been?

It could very well have been a B-17, there are still a few flying that travel around to various air shows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beardless posted:

It could very well have been a B-17, there are still a few flying that travel around to various air shows.

There was an accident with one I think last spring? Time is a blur now but the Collings Foundation definitely has/had one.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was an accident with one I think last spring? Time is a blur now but the Collings Foundation definitely has/had one.

The Commemorative Air Force has two, and one at least, the Texas Raiders, is actively touring.

Edit: The crash you might be thinking of happened in 2019, to a B-17 owned by the Collings Foundation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Looks like it was the Collings Foundation one that crashed, they no longer have it listed on their site.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

brugroffil posted:

Only other plane it could likely be would be a B-29

B-17

B-29

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those photos reminded me of something. When I was a kid, my dad flew RC airplanes, and I remember the plane's fuselage being lightly coated in oil after flying for awhile. I assume it was either a small leak in the engine, or incomplete combustion, or something along those lines. Did/does that happen to larger prop planes? How frequently would the plane's skin need to be cleaned? I imagine that if oil was left on the skin too long, it'd...not dry, but harden, and both increase drag somewhat and be a tremendous pain to clean off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oil leaks could happen for a number of reasons, like basic wear and tear, not to mention battle damage. I feel like I knew an engine from WW2 that was notorious for leaks but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I can't imagine that any amount of dried/hardened oil would be such an increase in drag as to be concerning in-flight. I'd be more worried about losing hydraulics or engine power.

Fake edit: Going through some old posts from the Japanese engines I posted years ago -

-On a ferry flight of multiple Ki-61s from the Philippines to New Guinea, early in the Ki-61s production run, where multiple aircraft were forced to ditch in shark-infested waters. A faulty valve pumping engine oil out of an air vent was the culprit.

"Throughout its thirteen-year life the Mitsubishi Kinsei in all its versions was considered a paragon of reliability. Even when material and labour shortages began seriously to affect the Japanese war effort, Mitsubishi adapted its production techniques accordingly and Kinsei production continued. Rumour has it that later models were actually designed to leak oil as this was more economical than repairing seized engines! Towards the very end of the war, however, even this stalwart began to suffer. Fuel quality and oil pressure became unreliable, the latter possibly due to faults in subcontracted pumps, and engine service life dropped as service inspection criteria were progressively abandoned."

"The Ha-112-IIRu was similar, having an "intermediate sized Ru-102 Turbo-Supercharger" installed. This increased the rated altitude by 2,500m and allowed for operation at heights well over 10,000m. The Kinsei 60 series is that which I mentioned a while ago where it was designed to leak oil to prevent the engine from seizing, although that could just be a rumor."

Actual Edit: A spanish engine reference manual also mentions several other aspects of oil leaks

quote:

Constant cleaning on piston engines was common. More subject to leaks of oil by the innumerable gaskets and more complex lubrication system, were detected better and for the exact place if there was no dirt that camouflaged them.

quote:

The maintenance takes congenital cleanliness. Among other things because it will indicate leaks, breaks, etc. We see two people pressure cleaning with detergent in a field of fortune.

quote:

They were also one of the first engines to change the wraparound red copper jackets for those of steel welded on top of the engine itself, thus ensuring possible leaks.

quote:

-Materials such as rubber can harden over time.
-Hard or cracked rubber sleeves cause leaks.

quote:

Air is introduced under pressure up to 80 psi. in the cylinder with the valves closed and the piston in the TDC through two pressure gauges and a restrictor hole between them. If there are no leaks the first gauge will read 80 and second 80 as well. If there are leaks the second will mark less: the limit is 20% (ie 64 psi for the second gauge).

Placing the cylinder piston to be checked at TDC and in the final compression phase, regulated air is introduced at 80 psi, holding the propeller firmly. If there are no leaks in the cylinder, after passing through the calibrated hole, the second
Pressure gauge will also read 80 psi.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 18, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Camrath posted:

Specifically the first chapter of the book begins by introducing the characters in super simple cartoons- ‘Grumio est coquus. Grumio est in culinarium coquiit. Metella est mater. Metella est in horto sedet’ etc.

It’s basically a shibboleth for people who studied Latin, at least over here.

Likewise if you want to bring down the mood mention ‘Cerberus waiting, in vain’.

It’s like 30 years since I was working on the stage 1 book, and this is still all deeply imprinted in my mind.

A week late to the party, but this stuff is basically carved into my brain and has been for an approximately similar period. Can’t remember when I last played a Roman themed game where my mental model wasn’t everyone’s favourite Pompeiian financier.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Those photos reminded me of something. When I was a kid, my dad flew RC airplanes, and I remember the plane's fuselage being lightly coated in oil after flying for awhile. I assume it was either a small leak in the engine, or incomplete combustion, or something along those lines. Did/does that happen to larger prop planes?
This was enough of an issue with WWI aircraft to have spawned countless urban legends about pilots getting the runs from uncombusted castor oil in the engine exhaust.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

brugroffil posted:

This happened to me somewhere around 2014 when I was visiting my grandparents. Tbh it was badass to just randomly see a B-17 flying around when I didn't expect it. It's like if you were driving on the highway and a running King Tiger plowed past you.

fake e: well, it's a King Tiger, so it's prolly pulled over suffering mechanical problems

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's like if you were driving on the highway and a running King Tiger plowed past you.

That's when you know you have to pull to the curb and stop the engine. :lsd:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This happened to me somewhere around 2014 when I was visiting my grandparents. Tbh it was badass to just randomly see a B-17 flying around when I didn't expect it. It's like if you were driving on the highway and a running King Tiger plowed past you.

fake e: well, it's a King Tiger, so it's prolly pulled over suffering mechanical problems

My parents house is less than two miles from the departure end of the runway at FXE, and growing up warbirds were a pretty common thing, both touring history groups and the restoration shops at the field, and aircraft being imported and exported. Dad would frequently hear round engines, throw me in the car, and drive over to the airport to see if we could go see whatever just showed up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommonShore posted:

To what extent is there actually room for improvement in military small arms anyway?
You stick a rail and an LPVO on any good intermediate cartridge rifle and it's essentially on par with the state of the art.

The new 6,8 stuff will be a different kind of compromise (back to essentially full power loads to defeat plates).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Those photos reminded me of something. When I was a kid, my dad flew RC airplanes, and I remember the plane's fuselage being lightly coated in oil after flying for awhile. I assume it was either a small leak in the engine, or incomplete combustion, or something along those lines. Did/does that happen to larger prop planes? How frequently would the plane's skin need to be cleaned? I imagine that if oil was left on the skin too long, it'd...not dry, but harden, and both increase drag somewhat and be a tremendous pain to clean off.

I don't know about RC airplanes, so this is just a guess, but wouldn't the engines they use be two stroke? If so, they'd have oil mixed with their fuel.

Also, if you surf historical photos of warbirds, they often got *incredibly* dirty. Aside from the windows, I'm not sure anybody really cared.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Most model engines run on a mix of methanol, nitromethane, and a lubricating oil (usually castor), so yeah they get super dirty.

Larger models may run a spark ignition engine that uses gasoline, but still requires a lube oil mix just like other small engines.

Post wwi warbirds typically stopped using total loss lube systems, so an engine designed in the 30s or later won't be a total mess.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MRC48B posted:

Post wwi warbirds typically stopped using total loss lube systems, so an engine designed in the 30s or later won't be a total mess.

It’s right here. Many (not all) WWI engines were rotary radial, in which the back of the crankshaft is bolted to the airframe, and the entire engine spins around the crankshaft with the propeller solidly bolted to the front. This essentially requires a total-loss lubrication system, which used castor oil.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oil leaks could happen for a number of reasons, like basic wear and tear, not to mention battle damage. I feel like I knew an engine from WW2 that was notorious for leaks but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I can't imagine that any amount of dried/hardened oil would be such an increase in drag as to be concerning in-flight. I'd be more worried about losing hydraulics or engine power.

Fake edit: Going through some old posts from the Japanese engines I posted years ago -

-On a ferry flight of multiple Ki-61s from the Philippines to New Guinea, early in the Ki-61s production run, where multiple aircraft were forced to ditch in shark-infested waters. A faulty valve pumping engine oil out of an air vent was the culprit.

"Throughout its thirteen-year life the Mitsubishi Kinsei in all its versions was considered a paragon of reliability. Even when material and labour shortages began seriously to affect the Japanese war effort, Mitsubishi adapted its production techniques accordingly and Kinsei production continued. Rumour has it that later models were actually designed to leak oil as this was more economical than repairing seized engines! Towards the very end of the war, however, even this stalwart began to suffer. Fuel quality and oil pressure became unreliable, the latter possibly due to faults in subcontracted pumps, and engine service life dropped as service inspection criteria were progressively abandoned."

"The Ha-112-IIRu was similar, having an "intermediate sized Ru-102 Turbo-Supercharger" installed. This increased the rated altitude by 2,500m and allowed for operation at heights well over 10,000m. The Kinsei 60 series is that which I mentioned a while ago where it was designed to leak oil to prevent the engine from seizing, although that could just be a rumor."

Actual Edit: A spanish engine reference manual also mentions several other aspects of oil leaks

Thanks, these are some cool details!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know about RC airplanes, so this is just a guess, but wouldn't the engines they use be two stroke? If so, they'd have oil mixed with their fuel.

Also, if you surf historical photos of warbirds, they often got *incredibly* dirty. Aside from the windows, I'm not sure anybody really cared.

I assume you're right; I never bothered to learn about how the engines on my dad's planes worked because it just wasn't something I was interested in. Most RC planes these days are electric, now that batteries have a good enough power density. My dad tried making a battery-powered RC plane in the 90's. It had just barely enough power to get into the air, couldn't do anything fancy, and had a flight endurance of like two minutes.

The idea of a "total loss" lubrication system is kind of shocking, for some reason. But I guess the oil recovery and circulation systems would add complexity and weight, and of course more points of failure. If oil's cheap enough then why not just kind of aerosol it all over the place while you're flying? :psyduck:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The idea of a "total loss" lubrication system is kind of shocking, for some reason. But I guess the oil recovery and circulation systems would add complexity and weight, and of course more points of failure. If oil's cheap enough then why not just kind of aerosol it all over the place while you're flying? :psyduck:

Rotary engines just worked like small two-strokes: the crankcase is filled with a fuel/air/oil mixture that's enough to coat and lubricate all the moving parts. This also solved the "how do you plumb fuel from a fixed fuel tank into a bunch of whirling cylinders" problem: put the fuel, and carb, in the fixed part of the engine, then just let the fuel/air mixture flow as a gas to where it needs to go. Most of the loss in "total loss" is through burning it off, although plenty still got sprayed around, too.

The pipes that take fuel and air from the crankcase up to the cylinder head are really obvious on this Le Rhone pic I stole from wikipedia:

Later, non-spinny radials used pressure lubrication and scavenge pumps, but they still tended to leak and burn a lot of oil. For instance, the B-17 burned a couple of gallons per engine per flight hour.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MrYenko posted:

It’s right here. Many (not all) WWI engines were rotary radial, in which the back of the crankshaft is bolted to the airframe, and the entire engine spins around the crankshaft with the propeller solidly bolted to the front. This essentially requires a total-loss lubrication system, which used castor oil.

Knowing little of airplane engines, or engines in general, that seems a bit Wiley Coyote. What's the reasoning with that?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Elissimpark posted:

Knowing little of airplane engines, or engines in general, that seems a bit Wiley Coyote. What's the reasoning with that?

Compared to the other options at the time, they were smooth running, light, and easy to cool.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm currently reading "Supplying War: Logistics From Wallenstein To Patton" by Martin Van Creveld, and liking it so far. Are there any other books on military logistics that are worth checking out? Time period doesn't really matter as much, as long as it's good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf)

Queue: Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39, American tank building plans post-war, German tanks for 1946, HMC M7 Priest, GMC M12, GMC M40/M43, ISU-152, AMR 35 ZT, Soviet post-war tank building plans, T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour, Evolution of German tank observation devices

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines
ISU-152

:godwin:
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Elissimpark posted:

It was a bit Wile E. Coyote (aerospace frequently is!), but the design solves a specific, difficult problem.

Mass producing a smooth-running, powerful engine with WWI state-of-the-art technology is really difficult. The classic solution is to slap a big heavy flywheel on it to even the power pulses out. That works great on a stationary engine, a ship, or even a truck, but not very well on an airplane. The engine can’t be too heavy or you won’t be able to take off, and every bit of weight saved means better performance for the aircraft, so the “big heavy flywheel” solution literally doesn’t fly.

But, if you have a piston engine at all, you’re already flying around with a big chunk of metal: the engine block. With a radial engine design, you can make it round. So, why not just spin the engine and use the block itself as your big heavy flywheel?

There are plenty of issues with this, of course, and the design was basically obsolete by the end of WWI. Once regular radial engines were practical, rotaries died out very quickly. But, for a while, they were the most practical way to build a fighter-sized engine with contemporary technology.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Weird omission on that article: It seens to me obvious why the germans were lacking in heavy SPGs- since their production capability was so limited their SPG programs were mostly spin from the attempt to get old/obsolete AFVs to remain in use in another role such as the LT.38. This obviously means the available chassis are small and/or narrow as balls by 1942 standards, and as such suck at trying to fit a big field piece.

Ob the other hand the soviets were constructing tanks and same-chassis SPGs in parallel because Red Army wasnt especially short on tanks. The only SPGs the russians made that was based in a completely outdated chassis was maybe the SU-76.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oil leaks could happen for a number of reasons, like basic wear and tear, not to mention battle damage.

Some high performance engines just - leak. They're designed to be sealed when the engine is running hot; heat leads to expansion which closes gaps - but when they're cool they drip.

busalover posted:

Are there any other books on military logistics that are worth checking out? Time period doesn't really matter as much, as long as it's good.

Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army by Engels is a relatively short book and is regarded as a classic for good reasons.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Cessna posted:

Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army by Engels is a relatively short book and is regarded as a classic for good reasons.

Is that the Engels that I'm thinking of?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

Some high performance engines just - leak. They're designed to be sealed when the engine is running hot; heat leads to expansion which closes gaps - but when they're cool they drip.

The SR71 comes to mind; it oozes when it’s cold.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xerxes17 posted:

Nope.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xerxes17 posted:

Don Engels, not Friedrich, sorry.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cessna posted:

See also: Literally anything with a Pratt & Whitney logo on it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Space Gopher posted:

It was a bit Wile E. Coyote (aerospace frequently is!), but the design solves a specific, difficult problem.

Mass producing a smooth-running, powerful engine with WWI state-of-the-art technology is really difficult. The classic solution is to slap a big heavy flywheel on it to even the power pulses out. That works great on a stationary engine, a ship, or even a truck, but not very well on an airplane. The engine can’t be too heavy or you won’t be able to take off, and every bit of weight saved means better performance for the aircraft, so the “big heavy flywheel” solution literally doesn’t fly.

But, if you have a piston engine at all, you’re already flying around with a big chunk of metal: the engine block. With a radial engine design, you can make it round. So, why not just spin the engine and use the block itself as your big heavy flywheel?

There are plenty of issues with this, of course, and the design was basically obsolete by the end of WWI. Once regular radial engines were practical, rotaries died out very quickly. But, for a while, they were the most practical way to build a fighter-sized engine with contemporary technology.

Ah, that makes sense. I swear the more I read about avionic engineering, the more I'm amazed any one ever climbed in a plane.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Valtonen posted:

Weird omission on that article: It seens to me obvious why the germans were lacking in heavy SPGs- since their production capability was so limited their SPG programs were mostly spin from the attempt to get old/obsolete AFVs to remain in use in another role such as the LT.38. This obviously means the available chassis are small and/or narrow as balls by 1942 standards, and as such suck at trying to fit a big field piece.

Ob the other hand the soviets were constructing tanks and same-chassis SPGs in parallel because Red Army wasnt especially short on tanks. The only SPGs the russians made that was based in a completely outdated chassis was maybe the SU-76.

Work on the SU-76's precursor began when the T-60 was still new and hot, the first chassis constructed actually used mix of T-60 and T-70 parts. This is actually a pretty radical divergence in concepts. The Germans were happy to keep obsolete chassis in production to build SPGs, the USSR phased out old chassis completely and designed equivalents on the new chassis (e.g. ZIK-20 transitioning into the SU-152 which in turn was replaced by the ISU-152).

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

busalover posted:

I'm currently reading "Supplying War: Logistics From Wallenstein To Patton" by Martin Van Creveld, and liking it so far. Are there any other books on military logistics that are worth checking out? Time period doesn't really matter as much, as long as it's good.

Moving Mountains by Gus Pagonis if you want something a bit more modern, its full of interesting anecdotes about how they made desert storm work.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i love your red text + av

it's amazing :allears:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He’s a pawn of Big Durian!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It should be mandatory for avs like that to have a link to the discussion that generated it, because I'm going to be pondering this all day now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SubG posted:

This was enough of an issue with WWI aircraft to have spawned countless urban legends about pilots getting the runs from uncombusted castor oil in the engine exhaust.

Shitter's full.

Elissimpark posted:

Power:weight. You've got better cooling, the engine itself acts as a flywheel so you don't need to add one to smooth it out, keeps weight down. They were a dead-end but had advantages at the time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IIRC it also led to interesting roll properties that good pilots could make use of in dogfighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I'm currently doing a dumb thing for my aviation podcast and, as a non-German speaker, this quote is very good at confirming my childishness.

quote:

Ich kommandierte: <Eins, zwei, drei - los>! Und die Fahrt begann.