Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can set DNS on a device itself, which is what I do for certain things. You probably should have mentioned you had pihole in the first post because that would have definitely been the first thing to eliminate as a possible cause.

I fixed it by allowing an ad provider. I also discovered that Pluto TV works decently on the Chromium browser included with Raspberry Pi OS. On the other hand, Aweb in Pimiga does NOT like the Pluto TV website AT ALL. That resulted in a frozen emulated Amiga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks!

So I know I’ve talked about this before but YouTube tv can officially gently caress off now.

My dad and I are on a family plan and we split the bill that was fine till today…

Guess he’s gonna have to eat the bill on his own now.

Edit: I just paid 5.99 for espn + because fuckin hell.

My understanding is that you just have to log in with the one outside the area on the box that's inside the area but I'll admit I could be wrong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but can anyone comment on the current situation on the nVidia Shield and VPNs/SmartDNS services? I am in Finland, and I am trying to watch US versions of streaming services.

I've currently got an Amazon Fire Stick 4K, which is cool except it's got some really annoying limitations and problems, and I'm hoping they are Fire Stick problems and limitations, not Android TV problems and limitations.

I've got an LG CX, which is a great TV except its Plex client is notoriously bad, whereas apparently the nVidia Shield can just pretty much straight up direct play whatever you throw at it, so if the Shield works fine with things like SmartDNS services or VPNs like Windscribe, I think I'm going to switch over.

Honestly, I miss my Roku Streaming Stick+ but because it's not officially sold in Finland, when my last stick just suddenly stopped working, their customer support told me to take a long hike off a short pier, before finally offering to replace my stick if I sent my broken unit in at my own cost, which would have ended up costing more than a new one.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 13, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MarcusSA posted:

So I know I’ve talked about this before but YouTube tv can officially gently caress off now.

It's always done this. Just need to login in home area once every few months.

YTTV announced a 4k add-on with extremely limited channels for $20 today, but also added 5.1 support free. Lack of 5.1 was the biggest drawback for me so that's pretty exciting news.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KS posted:

It didn't for me. It was working fine till a few days ago. Also other people in this thread have said they use the google family account to share YTTV with people who live in other parts and it worked fine. :shrug:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

KS posted:

YTTV announced a 4k add-on with extremely limited channels for $20 today, but also added 5.1 support free. Lack of 5.1 was the biggest drawback for me so that's pretty exciting news.

I got the email, but I don't see a list of the 4K channels. is there one somewhere?

Edit: nevermind, I think these stations are eligible, but not guaranteed:

Discovery
ESPN
FOX Sports
FX
Nat Geo
NBC Sports
Tastemade

Like I need to see Frankie Celenza pretend to make pasta in 4K.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 13, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How important or useful is a signal filter for an antenna setup? Specifically for VHF Hi channels. I know that 5G/LTE is supposed to cause “the most” preventable interference but I’m always curious if it’s actually noticeable.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but can anyone comment on the current situation on the nVidia Shield and VPNs/SmartDNS services? I am in Finland, and I am trying to watch US versions of streaming services.

I've currently got an Amazon Fire Stick 4K, which is cool except it's got some really annoying limitations and problems, and I'm hoping they are Fire Stick problems and limitations, not Android TV problems and limitations.

I've got an LG CX, which is a great TV except its Plex client is notoriously bad, whereas apparently the nVidia Shield can just pretty much straight up direct play whatever you throw at it, so if the Shield works fine with things like SmartDNS services or VPNs like Windscribe, I think I'm going to switch over.

Honestly, I miss my Roku Streaming Stick+ but because it's not officially sold in Finland, when my last stick just suddenly stopped working, their customer support told me to take a long hike off a short pier, before finally offering to replace my stick if I sent my broken unit in at my own cost, which would have ended up costing more than a new one.

2019 nvidia shield pro can act as its own Plex Server and accepts external storage via both sd card and usb. Plus, if you really want, you can throw VLC or Kodi on there. And that's not even including the built in chrome cast capabilities.

As for VPN, i'm not sure about the clients you mentioned but I have nord installed on it and it works just fine. Shield allows for both installing of apps via play store and apk sideloading.

I got a shield pro back when they launched and have been incredibly happy with it since. While the recent "advertainment" update to the dash kinda sucks, it's not causing performance issues and if I hate it enough, I can throw a new launcher on really easily.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I can battle out of our $285 :eyepop: tv/internet/cable bundle from Spectrum into just internet and then get Hulu Live that's a pretty decent setup right? We already use Hulu for the majority of our tv watching and the only other person just wants standard "cable" to watch like some local channels and sports and the history channel. Is Hulu Live pretty decent and manageable for someone not super app savvy?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I can battle out of our $285 :eyepop: tv/internet/cable bundle from Spectrum into just internet and then get Hulu Live that's a pretty decent setup right? We already use Hulu for the majority of our tv watching and the only other person just wants standard "cable" to watch like some local channels and sports and the history channel. Is Hulu Live pretty decent and manageable for someone not super app savvy?

My parents are boomer af/technologically challenged and after showing them how to access the live-channel stuff in Hulu they had no problem navigating it. You don't get the typical channel surfing experience with Hulu live, but the program guide will be 100% familiar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord that’s a lot of cash, I’m guessing you have every premium channel known to man? I might have to look at that post every time I get grumbly I pay $140 for gigabit fiber and ‘enough channels I can watch all my sport’ cable TV.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Had Hulu Live for a bit and it was fine. I didn't like how Hulu tried combining live tv with on demand and streaming libraries in one view but other people may actually prefer that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I am very happy with Hulu Live, I had to put my foot down with my very much non-techie husband about continuing to pay $180 a month to AT&T U-Verse because he liked the box but he quickly learned how to use the Hulu interface and now likes it better than our old cable box.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like Hulu Live will be a solid fit. Nice thing about switching from Spectrum to this is all it takes is cancelling on the website and then trying another app. The streaming situation is far from ideal nowadays but at least it's not cable lol.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord that’s a lot of cash, I’m guessing you have every premium channel known to man? I might have to look at that post every time I get grumbly I pay $140 for gigabit fiber and ‘enough channels I can watch all my sport’ cable TV.

Ugh, right, not really even intending to bloat it so much. It's just one of those things that creeps up and gets out of hand and then you actually pay attention to what you should be paying/getting and yeah.

Luckily they gave me zero issues about switching to just internet. $80/month for 100 Mbps with no caps. Works for me. Only other option here is AT&T and I don't really feel like switching everything over for what is most likely the same price in the end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Completely unsolicited but YouTube TV had been amazing for us love TV wise

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BonoMan posted:

Completely unsolicited but YouTube TV had been amazing for us love TV wise

Yeah that's our second option I think. I've got a better history with Hulu than google/youtube so I figured stick with what we know and then go from there. I was looking into YTTV earlier and it definitely sounds like a solid option.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah that's our second option I think. I've got a better history with Hulu than google/youtube so I figured stick with what we know and then go from there. I was looking into YTTV earlier and it definitely sounds like a solid option.

Selection, customization and integration with the new Chromecasts with Google TV sealed it for us.

(We also subscribe to Hulu non-live)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The biggest thing that seals YTTV over HTV for me is I can fast forward through all the commercials in YTTV recordings and I can't in Hulu, even with ads free. This is especially annoying if you want to repeat something before a commercial break and you aren't allowed to rewind until the break is over.

YTTV also gives you unlimited recordings with a 9 month expiry whereas Hulu only at most gives you 200 hours of recordings and that's only if you pay an extra $10/mo.

Also I don't like having live tv recommendations showing up in my classic "watch" list.

On the whole, Hulu TV is a fine product but if you have it available, I find YTTV a better deal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is there a basic, no frills thread approved OTA DVR box?

Apparently LG C8 tv's will record to a USB HDD in other markets but not in the US. I plugged one into mine and I can capture screen shots to it but not videos. Other peoples overlays show a record 'button' on the screen but mine doesn't have that. Googling around seems to confirm no for the US, or maybe NA.

I'm looking at this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/medias...p?skuId=6293207

But if there is a thread recommendation then I would like to hear about it.

I don't need something that broadcasts to all over the house or remotely out while I am on the road. I just want to record sports (the Olympics now, football later) and maybe the odd show here or there. I definitely don't need yet another streaming service app aggregator for yet another method to watch Netflix, Prime and etc...

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hdhomerun?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
As I understand it, if you don't want to use a computer to record, the market is basically

1) Those little ATSC tuner boxes you buy at Walmart will often record straight to a USB hard drive if you plug one in

2) Amazon Fire TV Recast: a good deal if you get it on sale, but only works with Fire TV sticks

3) Tablo OTA DVR (also plug in your own USB hard drive): https://us-store.tablotv.com/

Yeah that's one of those ATSC tuner boxes that claims to be able to record to a USB hard drive, no guarantee how well it works or how good the interface is, it's all YMMV, but they're cheap.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

kri kri posted:

Hdhomerun?

Says you need a paid subscription for DVR recording.

I bought the one I linked above. It’s very bare bones and has one of the chunkiest, obviously designed by a coder, UIs I’ve ever encountered but eh, 40 bucks.

Seems to work okay for recording live tv so far.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pretty sure AndroidTV (or GoogleTV, whatever) will record via the Channels app if you have a tv tuner plugged in or an HDHomerun on the network.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the HDHR subscription is $35/yr, by the way, and it’s definitely by far the best way to watch OTA TV through an AppleTV.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

HDHomerun has “free” DVR by way of Plex. Assuming you have Plex Pass that is.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Warbird posted:

HDHomerun has “free” DVR by way of Plex. Assuming you have Plex Pass that is.

So, not free

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was thinking of grabbing a few cheap 4th gen apple tvs to replace our cable boxes and get my dad setup with his first streaming situation but I realized the new Roku Express 4K+ boxes are priced really well and might be a better option. All he really needs it for is Hulu + Live TV, Netflix and probably Pluto TV. He doesn’t need 4K but I figure the future proofing is a solid idea. Is this a bad idea or should I go for it? I generally stick to Apple stuff but I’ve had good experience with Roku in the past and I feel like he would get along with it well.

How’s the wifi on those by the way? Better/worse than a 4th gen atv?

e: grabbed two roku express 4k+ to try out for now

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The 4th gen is starting to show its age. Not that it can’t run anything, just ever so slightly slower navigation and app launches.

That said, mine still does everything I need it to do and better than most other streaming boxes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

TheScott2K posted:

So, not free

Given how long I’ve had that lifetime access it may as well be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
OTA Antenna Chat:

I have a Sony X900H and a VHF/UHF antenna. Is there anything I can do to make sure I'm getting the best quality / highest resolution picture as possible from the antenna? Or is it simply plugging it in to the TV, and if it works then that is what you get.

I ask because I just connected mine, and I'm able to pick up local stations without any stutter, but the image quality isn't mind blowing.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Hughmoris posted:

OTA Antenna Chat:

I have a Sony X900H and a VHF/UHF antenna. Is there anything I can do to make sure I'm getting the best quality / highest resolution picture as possible from the antenna? Or is it simply plugging it in to the TV, and if it works then that is what you get.

I ask because I just connected mine, and I'm able to pick up local stations without any stutter, but the image quality isn't mind blowing.

You have 20 megabits on an ATSC signal, so if a station has an HD and 3 subchannels, something has to suffer. We are running an HD and 5 subchannels at some of our stations.

edit: all this is at MPEG2 so the quality will be better than what you'd get on cable but it's not going to blow you away. Some stations day part their encoders so, on Sunday NFL games they'll choke the subs and give all the bandwidth to the main channel.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 5, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TheWevel posted:

You have 20 megabits on an ATSC signal, so if a station has an HD and 3 subchannels, something has to suffer. We are running an HD and 5 subchannels at some of our stations.

edit: all this is at MPEG2 so the quality will be better than what you'd get on cable but it's not going to blow you away. Some stations day part their encoders so, on Sunday NFL games they'll choke the subs and give all the bandwidth to the main channel.

I learned something new today. We'll see how the NFL game looks on Fox tonight. Thanks!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That TV supports ATSC 3.0, so in theory, if anyone in your market is broadcasting in that, you can get a higher quality broadcast. I think ATSC 3.0 is barely working in a lot of markets and stations are still testing things out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hughmoris posted:

OTA Antenna Chat:

Best thing I can tell you is that even if your antenna is "Omni directional" you'll still want to point it. I'm assuming it's one of those flat leaf style antennas, so you'll want it to be perpendicular to the signal (or at least closest to the cluster of signals depending on where you live)

Antennaweb.org and tvfool.com are great resources for this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

OTA Antenna Chat:

PQ isn't affected by signal quality the way analog broadcasts were. If you're not dropping frames or getting weird artifacts, what you've got is what they're sending.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Inept posted:

That TV supports ATSC 3.0, so in theory, if anyone in your market is broadcasting in that, you can get a higher quality broadcast. I think ATSC 3.0 is barely working in a lot of markets and stations are still testing things out.

Just to set expectations (and I've posted this before in this thread)- any ATSC3 rollout right now in a market is just rebroadcasting the existing ATSC 1.0 signals using the ATSC3 modulation scheme. So while the broadcaster can say "we're broadcasting in ATSC3!" there's no change to the viewer except better reception....maybe.

All the cool stuff that ATSC3 can do (4k, SFNs) is still in testing and is like 2-3 years away.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Who is the best option for NFL this season?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

phosdex posted:

Your antenna for in-market, DirecTV for everything else, and if you care about MNF you need ESPN. Same as it ever was.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

phosdex posted:

if you want espn and redzone, it seems like fubo, hulu, and youtube tv have identical pricing of about $75/mo with the respective sports add-ons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Probably just go with Youtube TV then.