Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I finally jumped on the Krono market and picked two of them at the end of last week for cash. Sold them over the weekend to help fund my characters and I feel good about the transactions so far. Got some cheaper gear and a pair of J Boots for my Necro and still have about 22,000 plat in the shared bank. I am enjoying Mischief still, but I do need to find a guild soon. Too much losing out on camps as boxers roll through the area. I figure if I can be part of a group that will happen less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

I am enjoying Mischief still, but I do need to find a guild soon. Too much losing out on camps as boxers roll through the area. I figure if I can be part of a group that will happen less often.

Oh no, that will still happen if you are in a guild. Hell I've seen random Cowboy & Camels group members go 'poo poo' when a box army of his own guild zoned in. They rolled over our camp without hesitation.

Unless you have extra members sitting outside the group to concentrate the DPS, a boxed army will almost always win.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Kalas posted:

Oh no, that will still happen if you are in a guild. Hell I've seen random Cowboy & Camels group members go 'poo poo' when a box army of his own guild zoned in. They rolled over our camp without hesitation.

Unless you have extra members sitting outside the group to concentrate the DPS, a boxed army will almost always win.

So far there has been just one occasion where I was able to out "rear end in a top hat". A lower level guy came into the zone and ran into all of the mobs I was camping, to gather them up while I was sitting there medding. He was relying on his buffs to keep him alive, and since he was also relying on his damage shield to kill the things, all I had to do was out damage his lovely attempts to do damage. One properly placed nuke, and I got credit for all his kills. After trying that 3 times, he ended up leaving :)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

So far there has been just one occasion where I was able to out "rear end in a top hat". A lower level guy came into the zone and ran into all of the mobs I was camping, to gather them up while I was sitting there medding. He was relying on his buffs to keep him alive, and since he was also relying on his damage shield to kill the things, all I had to do was out damage his lovely attempts to do damage. One properly placed nuke, and I got credit for all his kills. After trying that 3 times, he ended up leaving :)

Sounds like someone who didn't understand how damage shields and kill credit work.
This person never PLed people as a druid/ranger or shadowknight.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I wandered into Unrest while waiting for phinny people to gather and found a guy in main pick aoe pulling a ton of poo poo to the main room to PL his toons.. not a big fan of people doing that to begin with, especially not in main pick, so a quick AOE nuke ks'd his 20 mob pull and got him sending me angry tells and he quickly changed picks. Oh yea, of course I'm the toxic one, not the guy pulling 80% of the zone while a bunch of other groups mill around the yard.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Indecisive posted:

I wandered into Unrest while waiting for phinny people to gather and found a guy in main pick aoe pulling a ton of poo poo to the main room to PL his toons.. not a big fan of people doing that to begin with, especially not in main pick, so a quick AOE nuke ks'd his 20 mob pull and got him sending me angry tells and he quickly changed picks. Oh yea, of course I'm the toxic one, not the guy pulling 80% of the zone while a bunch of other groups mill around the yard.

I always loved that zone. Strange I haven't been there yet on this server. I think the expectation it's full and probably crazy has just kept me away.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

I always loved that zone. Strange I haven't been there yet on this server. I think the expectation it's full and probably crazy has just kept me away.

On Thornblade we had many picks of Unrest. Many many picks. That ghost at the basement dropped quite a number of Guises.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Kalas posted:

On Thornblade we had many picks of Unrest. Many many picks. That ghost at the basement dropped quite a number of Guises.

This was true on Mischief. Before Kunark came out (i haven't been there since) it was pretty easy to get a group there.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Indecisive posted:

Yea you’re the rear end in a top hat here. Sorry

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

schwein11 posted:

This was true on Mischief. Before Kunark came out (i haven't been there since) it was pretty easy to get a group there.

Yeah, it's probably still decent. I did get a random invite on my Necro one time while I was hanging out in the EC tunnel. I declined because I didn't want to make that trip. I will almost certainly group there with my Druid since I start in GF and I can teleport more freely.

I spent the bonus weekend camping goblins in WW on my Necro. The place had a constant high level there looking for the ear ring dropped by Graknist, but due to random loot, it was super rare! Well, since I was just looking for quest items, I just sat there and looted all the extra rot items. Outfit my new Druid quite well in a short time and for free. But I do wish I had gotten in a group and focused on exp that weekend.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Reading all this and god drat I couldn’t play with boxers

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

rally posted:

Yea you’re the rear end in a top hat here. Sorry

nah

if I had followed him to the other pick and kept killing his pulls I would have been an rear end in a top hat, I was just making the main pick an actual normal levelling zone instead of some dude's personal PL area. IDGAF about people who are so sick of the game they don't even want to play it properly and ruin the experience for other players.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Indecisive posted:

nah

if I had followed him to the other pick and kept killing his pulls I would have been an rear end in a top hat, I was just making the main pick an actual normal levelling zone instead of some dude's personal PL area. IDGAF about people who are so sick of the game they don't even want to play it properly and ruin the experience for other players.

This is my beef. I don't mind a little casual power leveling, like a high level druid giving me some short term damage shield, but kiting around a high level character, or worse, running around with a full group on auto follow in an attempt to basically cheat those levels just sucks.

But this is why I play a Necro, and now working on a Druid. I use my own buffs, I buy gear I can afford, and with most of my armor slots empty I scratch along through the levels as originally intended. I stop once in a while and do some exploring, or maybe I meet some folks and chat a while. Skipping your way through all the lower levels, just makes you a lovely player at the high level, and one I wouldn't want to group with. It's the equivalent of buying a fully leveled and geared character, and then hoping to be a valuable player in the end game. It's the journey, not the destination right? :)

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Kalas posted:

Every pick of that zone I have been to has had a max level mage camping the ghost.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Bahanahab posted:

Every pick of that zone I have been to has had a max level mage camping the ghost.

This is the fault of randomized loot though. They have made these low level names a target for high level poopsockery... My opinion, and it's not a commonly shared opinion. Disable loot on mobs that don't yield exp when killed. There are some players turning in some major profit at the expense of sharing, and it's ridiculous to me they didn't think this through before launching these servers.

So now, as it stands, dungeons suck because at the end of every one of them is a high level player taking away that reward for a group.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Killing low level mobs is for suckers anyway. Gotta stuff hundreds of thousands of Rat Ears down Rephas’s throat to get to level 30. Or after the vendor gets nerfed by the patch, buy a metric fuckton of Red Wine for Lady Shae.

You know, like in Classic EQ.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

Killing low level mobs is for suckers anyway. Gotta stuff hundreds of thousands of Rat Ears down Rephas’s throat to get to level 30. Or after the vendor gets nerfed by the patch, buy a metric fuckton of Red Wine for Lady Shae.

You know, like in Classic EQ.

Yeah, maybe I am a sucker... I never did any of those things. This past weekend I did the first turn-in of Crushbone belts I have ever done, and I won't be doing that again lol. I filled my inventory with 60 of them after hunting Orcs for a couple hours. I made the trip at level 10 which was probably too late to be worth it, but that's what level I was when I collected them. I got maybe 30% to level 11. The time it took me to run to the turn in spot, I could have done better just staying there killing orcs.

I don't mind leveling up by combat. That's what I remember about classic. Very few quests, but always mobs to kill. As a Druid Quad kiting for days to power through a hell level...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

Yeah, maybe I am a sucker... I never did any of those things. This past weekend I did the first turn-in of Crushbone belts I have ever done, and I won't be doing that again lol. I filled my inventory with 60 of them after hunting Orcs for a couple hours. I made the trip at level 10 which was probably too late to be worth it, but that's what level I was when I collected them. I got maybe 30% to level 11. The time it took me to run to the turn in spot, I could have done better just staying there killing orcs.

I don't mind leveling up by combat. That's what I remember about classic. Very few quests, but always mobs to kill. As a Druid Quad kiting for days to power through a hell level...

Yeah they nerfed Crushbone Belts into the ground. The only ones of those that are viable now are the turn ins with cheap vendor sold components because you can do a hundred thousand quest completions per trip. DPG got a little nervous and yanked the Rat Ear vendor out during the maintenance. Red Wine should still work, but it’s more expensive.

I wasn’t serious about the suckers comment for actually playing the game btw. :shobon:

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
The most annoying issue I've encountered so far is when a pick zone despawns when you're in a camp. It's a huge slap in the face when all of a sudden the game tells you, "Nope, your group will not be able to xp in this zone anymore." It's happened to me two times, and both times the group dissolved due to everyone just being upset with the game.

I still feel there should be a better way to allow groups to get their own instance of a zone. Even though I feel the forced interaction is a huge component of the nostalgia I remember about this game, I just don't enjoy my time in this game as much when the negatives keep getting thrown in my face everytime I log in and try to get xp. This is also compounded by the people that are profiting from this issue talking about how it is the greatest thing ever as they loot their millionth KC pipe and try to sell it for another 100 krono.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Bahanahab posted:

The most annoying issue I've encountered so far is when a pick zone despawns when you're in a camp. It's a huge slap in the face when all of a sudden the game tells you, "Nope, your group will not be able to xp in this zone anymore." It's happened to me two times, and both times the group dissolved due to everyone just being upset with the game.

I still feel there should be a better way to allow groups to get their own instance of a zone. Even though I feel the forced interaction is a huge component of the nostalgia I remember about this game, I just don't enjoy my time in this game as much when the negatives keep getting thrown in my face everytime I log in and try to get xp. This is also compounded by the people that are profiting from this issue talking about how it is the greatest thing ever as they loot their millionth KC pipe and try to sell it for another 100 krono.

Agree fully! The economy in this game is absolute poo poo! I was trying to do some shopping in the auction channel last week and I remember seeing something listed for 20ks and just assumed he meant 20k. The tell after that went something like "20 Krono?, are you loving serious?!!!"

Power gamers are always going to ruin the experience for casual players. They did it when EQ was new, and they have even better ways to do it now. Grind up a solo toon and enjoy it, and when it gets too frustrating, log out and play a single player game alone, or an MMO with instances.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The economy on Mischief is fine unless you’re chasing BIS raid dropped Haste items or similarly insane things you probably weren’t getting when they were No Drop. It’s insanely cheap to twink out an alt with amazing gear. Stuff like BIS planar pieces for 500pp or less. Sash of the Dragonborn for 1-2k pp making FBSS pretty much obsolete.

Epic drops need a serious look cause some of the chokepoints are getting extremely bad. I hear a lot about Monk pipes and the Cleric Crown in particular.

Oh and in unrelated news, it seems everyone is convinced Faceless were behind the plat dupe bug that doubled the price of Krono in a few days. :3:

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I've spent the last couple nights, a couple hours per night in Unrest. For the most part, the boxers and high level assholes are inside and holding the good camps. I don't yet care about that... The people I have met out in the courtyard or the entrance have been pretty cool. I had a couple group invites come my way even though I wasn't looking, but had to turn them down due to time. But my point is, there are decent players here. I pulled undead and beetles to a spot just in front of the house for a while as this one group started forming. It was cool watching the LFG chat across a bunch of channels and eventually they had 6 players. They sat in a sort of circle, probably discussing who would be doing what, and it was fun just watching a group form and communicate like in the days of old.

I'm enjoying this a lot. I feel it's going to fizzle out at some point, but if that happens I can always go back to my main server with some fresh motivation.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Whats the deal with accessing the progression server? Is one month sufficient to get it or do you have to continuously have all-access to keep playing the character?

I assume this is like standard live years and years ago and it doesn't have those mercenaries and hyper leveling and such?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Synnr posted:

Whats the deal with accessing the progression server? Is one month sufficient to get it or do you have to continuously have all-access to keep playing the character?

I assume this is like standard live years and years ago and it doesn't have those mercenaries and hyper leveling and such?

You need all access continually to access it. Although I paid for a couple months and now have enough Krono to play for a few months for free.

Incidentally I just about had a heart attack when redeeming my first Krono earlier today. The Krono stack in the inventory blinks to zero before deducting one Krono from the stack. I panicked and thought I redeemed thirteen months worth of Krono at once wiping out my ability to buy anything.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

BGrifter posted:

You need all access continually to access it. Although I paid for a couple months and now have enough Krono to play for a few months for free.

Incidentally I just about had a heart attack when redeeming my first Krono earlier today. The Krono stack in the inventory blinks to zero before deducting one Krono from the stack. I panicked and thought I redeemed thirteen months worth of Krono at once wiping out my ability to buy anything.

Ah I thought it might be something like that. Maybe I'll just try a month and see how the itch is after that. Krono is like Eve online plex, yes? That is the vibe I got from what I skimmed over in the forums trying to figure out what the deal was with the two more recent servers and how progression works.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea same thing, krono is an item used as currency for trading that you can also burn for a month subscription, so if you play a lot and work at it you can earn your game time without having to spend IRL money. It's also bound to your account, not your character, so you can use it to transfer money across servers if you want. Never a bad idea to buy krono when you can afford to really.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Finally spent the krono and made a second account, an Enchanter to pair with my 51 Druid main account. Had enough Rat Ears banked to jump straight to level 22 so I spent most of my evening buying spells and training up skills.

Tomorrow I’ll launch out in the world with my Druid in tow out of group to see what charming excitement I can get into. If I read the chart on Allakhazam right I can group my Chanter with my 51 Druid at level 34, level 40+ to group with 60s.

Any advice would be welcome! This is my first time playing an Enchanter. I do have a fair amount of charm experience from my Druid though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Get an instant invis clickie asap, like the goblin gazughi ring. So convenient. Aside from that not much else I can say

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Finally spent the krono and made a second account, an Enchanter to pair with my 51 Druid main account. Had enough Rat Ears banked to jump straight to level 22 so I spent most of my evening buying spells and training up skills.

Tomorrow I’ll launch out in the world with my Druid in tow out of group to see what charming excitement I can get into. If I read the chart on Allakhazam right I can group my Chanter with my 51 Druid at level 34, level 40+ to group with 60s.

Any advice would be welcome! This is my first time playing an Enchanter. I do have a fair amount of charm experience from my Druid though.

If you are charming as a duo you should consider keeping snare on your charm pet so if it breaks it gives you more time to re-charm.

Also with this combination (snare + fear) you can fear kite things endlessly, which with 3 charm pets will be crazy dps. In your low 50s if you can get to permafrost bear pits (ice giants need to be down for this probably) they shouldn’t aggro your Druid so you can pacify for single pulls. There is enough room down there to fear kite.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
What are you all doing for multiboxing? Any app or scripts you can recommend? It's driving me crazy seeing players with druid's auto-following them everywhere while I'm trying to find a group with them :) Rather than complain about kids on my lawn, I figure I better just get with it and do it myself. I have access to several lifetime memberships, so I'll probably just create a druid on one of them and maybe a cleric and enchanter on the other accounts.

Just read the progression server rules about automation. Just have a character in tow? or do you just say the hell with the rules? Curious what folks are doing.

Floob fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 27, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I 3-box and run no programs/scripts, 3 kb/m/comps. I'm stuck in the past though, I used to box like this back when I played live so it's fairly natural to me, lots of hotkeys on my 2nd/3rd chars and I play my warrior as my main.

My friend that I group with that also 3-boxes bought some of those half keyboards to save space, he seems to do alright with them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

please knock Mom! posted:

Get an instant invis clickie asap, like the goblin gazughi ring. So convenient. Aside from that not much else I can say

Got some options there. I have a Goblin Gazughi Ring that belongs to my Druid, or the less expensive option of a Ring of Stealthy Travel. I’m thinking Chanter gets the GGR, Druid gets the RoST.

One of the fun things is since it’s Mischief the new Chanter is crazy twinked out. I was picking up a ton of stuff like the planar Insidious Robe for 150pp. Nothing more than 500pp and I have the second or third best option in many slots. Crazy.

Oh and yeah I’m pretty comfortable keeping a pet Ensnared from being a Druid main. Having extra tools for charming like the Tash line and the ability to Stun/Mez/recharm is exciting stuff though. Usually best I can do on my Druid is run a bit and cast my lowest root.

Floob posted:

What are you all doing for multiboxing? Any app or scripts you can recommend? It's driving me crazy seeing players with druid's auto-following them everywhere while I'm trying to find a group with them :) Rather than complain about kids on my lawn, I figure I better just get with it and do it myself. I have access to several lifetime memberships, so I'll probably just create a druid on one of them and maybe a cleric and enchanter on the other accounts.

Just read the progression server rules about automation. Just have a character in tow? or do you just say the hell with the rules? Curious what folks are doing.

My new setup is incredibly primitive and has a ton of room for optimization. Right now it’s just the Enchanter on my desktop and the Druid on an old laptop. The laptop has my second Keychron mechanical keyboard and a Logitech trackball, although I’ll switch the keyboard out for a numeric keypad when I can go to Staples for one.

I need to spend a whole lot of time setting up macros and hotbars for the Druid. Right now it’s honestly not very fun, but I’ve paid for a month so I’m gonna stick it out. Worst case having a Claritybot to make enchanted bars/vials of mana for crafting feels worthwhile to me so even if I end up hating the duo box charm experience its ok.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

MF_James posted:

I 3-box and run no programs/scripts, 3 kb/m/comps. I'm stuck in the past though, I used to box like this back when I played live so it's fairly natural to me, lots of hotkeys on my 2nd/3rd chars and I play my warrior as my main.

My friend that I group with that also 3-boxes bought some of those half keyboards to save space, he seems to do alright with them.

Hmmm, my other gaming rig is down in my office, so I would need some kind of virtual keyboard. I guess for what it would be doing, I could just use a couple micro computers or laptops. I have some of those lying around.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

Hmmm, my other gaming rig is down in my office, so I would need some kind of virtual keyboard. I guess for what it would be doing, I could just use a couple micro computers or laptops. I have some of those lying around.

I use Microsoft garage mouse software to run my two boxes off one keyboard/mouse. It lets you pan across screens over the network and runs quite well. It's free. I understand there's a few other software suites that at least as functional or more.

I use a cheap intel NUC for my 2nd box when I'm in the mood to box.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Floob posted:

Yeah, I work in IT and have been doing M&A for a client, so I've procured myself a bunch of cheap mini-pcs; obviously if you have something from within the last decade that has 8GB of RAM and has SOME sort of graphics processor, it should work fine.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Kalas posted:

I use Microsoft garage mouse software to run my two boxes off one keyboard/mouse. It lets you pan across screens over the network and runs quite well. It's free. I understand there's a few other software suites that at least as functional or more.

I use a cheap intel NUC for my 2nd box when I'm in the mood to box.

Ok, the fact the NUC handles it, I know the hardware I have around will cut it. Thanks for the tip. Yeah really all you need once some hotbar items are setup

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I work in IT and have been doing M&A for a client, so I've procured myself a bunch of cheap mini-pcs; obviously if you have something from within the last decade that has 8GB of RAM and has SOME sort of graphics processor, it should work fine.

Exactly my situation. I've been an IT Manager for over 20 years now. I have an alarming amount of "extra stuff" :)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

Ok, the fact the NUC handles it, I know the hardware I have around will cut it. Thanks for the tip. Yeah really all you need once some hotbar items are setup

For comparison, an old laptop I inherited from a relative with a first gen mobile i3 pushes a solid 60fps comfortably.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

For comparison, an old laptop I inherited from a relative with a first gen mobile i3 pushes a solid 60fps comfortably.

Everquest is a weird animal... I still find today I struggle in congested areas on even my most powerful rig. In the guild hall, or now in the common lands tunnel I have to look at the ground regularly. It's simply not an optimized application and I haven't ever spent the time turning down things to see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

Everquest is a weird animal... I still find today I struggle in congested areas on even my most powerful rig. In the guild hall, or now in the common lands tunnel I have to look at the ground regularly. It's simply not an optimized application and I haven't ever spent the time turning down things to see if it helps.

It took some tinkering to get it to run right. Lots of annoying tearing and issues around full screen vs windowed when I started. But once you get it set up just right the game runs buttery smooth with integrated graphics on anything in the i3/i5 era. It probably runs great on Core2Duos but I don’t own any of those.

Hell, I even installed it on my old Lenovo x120e netbook with an AMD e350 and that was entirely playable for a secondary box before I even turned down the graphics settings. The e350 gets a passmark score of 401.

I found this guide helpful for tinkering with settings:

https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/PopularEQIssues/ReduceYourLag/

Next I need to figure out a budget multi monitor setup. :3: