Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For people in the UK apparently there’s a big audiobook sale on Audible that includes a bunch of BL stuff.

https://youtu.be/xiR5P0a5AMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looking for what books this might be referencing so I can backtrack later.

I'm reading the second book in the Siege of Terra and it mentions Russ destroyed Prospero to punish Magnus and then was still pissed and went after Horus and fought him and apparently killed him a second time. One of the titans in Legio Solaria saw Horus slain and immediately teleported off the battlefield just before the titan was destroyed. What books tell the tale of the second part of this? I am really digging Abaddon knowing something is up with Horus and is already thinking he's a weak-rear end leader too corrupted by Chaos to be useful before they even get to Terra.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 18, 2021

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Philthy posted:

Looking for what books this might be referencing so I can backtrack later.

I'm reading the second book in the Siege of Terra and it mentions Russ destroyed Prospero to punish Magnus and then was still pissed and went after Horus and fought him and apparently killed him a second time. One of the titans in Legio Solaria saw Horus slain and immediately teleported off the battlefield just before the titan was destroyed. What books tell the tale of the second part of this? I am really digging Abaddon knowing something is up with Horus and is already thinking he's a weak-rear end leader too corrupted by Chaos to be useful before they even get to Terra.

Wolfsbane and Titandeath cover these and then slaves to darkness covers the immediate aftermath of Horus’ collapse that the titan pilot witnesses.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Milo has had a destiny attached to him ever since he was under observation by the inquisitor back during Ghostmaker. He's implied to be a low level psyker with precognition. He left the regiment during Sabbat Martyr to travel with Sabbatine and fulfill his destiny fighting alongside the living Saint.

Not a precog. That was definitively put to rest in Ghostmaker, then Serpent and the Saint etc.

Spoilers for Vincula Insurgency
He's nalsheen, like MkVenner is, his seeming precog abilities are just his ability to hyper analyze his surroundings in insane detail and process minutae, leading to "instincts. Also there are bad guy countparts to nalsheen, which is pretty wild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh does Milo show up in Farrer's Urdesh novel? That's cool.

I'm still waiting to pick up Urdesh and Sabbat War because Chapters hasn't gotten them in yet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

0konner posted:

Wolfsbane and Titandeath cover these and then slaves to darkness covers the immediate aftermath of Horus’ collapse that the titan pilot witnesses.

Awesome, thank you! Are any of these complete and total poo poo before I make the commitment?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 19, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh does Milo show up in Farrer's Urdesh novel? That's cool.

I'm still waiting to pick up Urdesh and Sabbat War because Chapters hasn't gotten them in yet.

The urdesh novel is part 1 of a duology that goes into what happened right before the ghosts show up on urdesh, it's pretty good

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Spoilers for Vincula Insurgency
He's nalsheen, like MkVenner is, his seeming precog abilities are just his ability to hyper analyze his surroundings in insane detail and process minutae, leading to "instincts. Also there are bad guy countparts to nalsheen, which is pretty wild.

Vincula spoilers:
I got that he was Nalsheen because of the tattoo, but I didn't see anything about him not actually being a precog? I know that was the excuse he was telling himself but that was because that was early in the timeline and he didn't want to admit what was really going on because he could get burned at the stake for it. I thought the later Ghost books confirmed he does have a mild precog ability?

Also, I don't think he knows he is Nalsheen and definitely wasn't trained by them. I think the Nalsheen are just really well trained hyper-badasses not some kind of hereditary badass gene.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Someone linked this earlier and the writing is so good. It's 40k high weirdness, which is some of the most interesting 40k imo. A woman gets corrupted by a food additive, embraces it, walks down a corridor that has always seemed off, and twists into her darkest self. That's the first story in the reading order, I'm reading the first novel now and it has Blood Angels who are actually interesting, it's great.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Philthy posted:

Awesome, thank you! Are any of these complete and total poo poo before I make the commitment?

Titandeath owns owns owns. I find Titans boring in a lot of books because they're scenery more than they're characters and Titandeath goes out of it's way to establish the personalities and make you care when it lives up to it's title.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

Someone linked this earlier and the writing is so good. It's 40k high weirdness, which is some of the most interesting 40k imo. A woman gets corrupted by a food additive, embraces it, walks down a corridor that has always seemed off, and twists into her darkest self. That's the first story in the reading order, I'm reading the first novel now and it has Blood Angels who are actually interesting, it's great.

I loving love when 40k gets into high strangeness shenanigans

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

A TRAVELLER’S GUIDE TO PETER FEHERVARI’S DARK COIL posted:

Sarastus
A backwater hive world, eternally shrouded in darkness, Sarastus was the first world of the Dark Coil to be visited. So far, the only part of Sarastus that has been explored is the city of Carceri, the greatest – and now last – of the world’s hives.

“There was a curse upon Sarastus, old and devoid of bite save for the blight of absolute darkness, but that had been enough to sour the world’s soul.”

"Sarastus" means "dawn", or to be more exact, it means "the very first rays of morning sun (that wake you up)" in Finnish.

Is that, like, intentional, or the spookiest fuckin' coincidence?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've been looking forward to the Saturnine audiobook for a long while now, ever since I got close to the siege of terra series on audible, just around the buried dagger or praetorian or so.

Mainly because I realized Jonathan Keeble was narrating all of the SoT books and his narration just owns owns owns.

So i knew to expect excellent narration, and was looking forward to all the scenes in Saturnine that stand out from the entire Heresy series as a whole, let alone the book itself, but i wasn't prepared for three things:

1. How loving much his rendition of Olly Piers would make me laugh
2. Emma Gregory is a guest narrator (narratress?) on the audiobook, doing all of Mistress Crole's parts, and it works so goddamn well
3. Camba Diaz' last stand. I mean yeah, i knew it was coming, but Jesus, i was physically exhausted

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Warden posted:

"Sarastus" means "dawn", or to be more exact, it means "the very first rays of morning sun (that wake you up)" in Finnish.

It has to be intentional. 40K has a long and proud history of planets with names based on irony or puns.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Duzzy Funlop posted:

2. Emma Gregory is a guest narrator (narratress?) on the audiobook, doing all of Mistress Crole's parts, and it works so goddamn well

Narratrix

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Arcsquad12 posted:

It has to be intentional. 40K has a long and proud history of planets with names based on irony or puns.

Krieg was doomed the moment they chose that name...

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I just finished Miles Cameron's first sci-fi novel Artifact Space and it was absolutely fantastic. He signed a GW contract a while ago and while I assumed it was for fantasy/AoS I would be really excited to see what he could do with a 40K novel.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warden posted:

There's a space marine librarian named Satori in the second book. I assume the name is deliberate.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I've been reading the Watchers of the Throne series (which I highly recommend, of course), and have been a bit surprised at how thoughtmark is depicted. I always thought of it as a sign language comparable to what you would encounter in real life. However, Wraight writes that it can be weaponized, even if how it works isn't really explained.

For example, he writes, " The next thoughtmark gesture was a special one, a mark of intimidation that caused physical pain, addling the senses and generating a burst of fear in even the staunchest of unmodified spirits."

Whenever this happens I always imagine her just flipping someone off really hard.

e: also the custodian/sister of silence friendship is the best relationship in 40k

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 21, 2021

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The silent sisters have some weird tricks that mostly work because they're strong blanks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
where's the brothers of silence huh????? #misandry40000

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Improbable Lobster posted:

They drive psi-titans.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

wiegieman posted:

They drive psi-titans.

Do they really? That rules.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

is this a JoJo

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Culexes’ Bizarre Adventure

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
How much of the Siege of Terra is left?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsterEnvy posted:

How much of the Siege of Terra is left?

34 more books.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

orphean posted:

Would read

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

orphean posted:

Behold my stand, 「The Sound Of Silence」!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLldlHTuPk

TLDR Games Workshop updated their terms and conditions to include a line saying that any and all fanfilms and fan content are now copyright infringment, because this whole back and forth over fan animations and the warhammer TV streaming service hasn't been stupid enough already.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I mean, if people didn't know that was the case already I dunno what rock they were living under.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
GW has always been litigious about protecting their IP. It still sucks and I still laugh at their delusion for trying to copyright pauldrons and space marines.

I dont want to lose more fan animations is all. Fan communities can be toxic hellholes but I'd rather see content creators do what they want without GW dropping the hammer on nonprofit projects.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 21, 2021

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
To be honest, I'm more worried about Tarriff getting a youtube copyright strike than anything else, the man is a lean mean meme machine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm reading "Men at Arms" by Terry Pratchett and it made me wish he'd written some 40k novels. Doesn't matter what the subject matter is, his take on it would have been entertaining.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm reading "Men at Arms" by Terry Pratchett and it made me wish he'd written some 40k novels. Doesn't matter what the subject matter is, his take on it would have been entertaining.

An Administratum novel where a junior scribe gets lost in the archives and encounters a Jokaero who only communicates by saying "ook"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

An Administratum novel where a junior scribe gets lost in the archives and encounters a Jokaero who only communicates by saying "ook"
You could pretty much just move Ankh Morpork to 40K, up the scale to "hive city", make the University into an Inquisition enclave to have it directly work.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kevin DuBrow posted:

e: also the custodian/sister of silence friendship is the best relationship in 40k

They have their own paired models:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arquinsiel posted:

You could pretty much just move Ankh Morpork to 40K, up the scale to "hive city", make the University into an Inquisition enclave to have it directly work.

The Inquisition is way too proactive to be the University. I could see Telepathica or even Mechanicus, though.