Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I did it personally because every so often I like to explore "bad games" like Anthem, Sonic Forces, DW9, etc just to probe why they're bad and see the full depth of them rather than relying on internet hearsay to tell me so. I didn't even think DW9 was that bad, it has a lot of really nice ideas but the execution is stunningly atrocious and the overall production value is PS2 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Some of these Treasure Events in PW3 are really difficult to figure out, I don't know how people did it, especially the Garp one since the timer starts at soon as you start the mission rather than when Garp appears.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Some of these Treasure Events in PW3 are really difficult to figure out, I don't know how people did it, especially the Garp one since the timer starts at soon as you start the mission rather than when Garp appears.

Yeah, like most Warriors games the localization leaves a bit to be desired. I used this guide (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=509795882) when I was clearing up the treasure events and logs.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

What compelled you to plat DW9?

A bunch of little things:
- I collect platinums on playstation as a hobby; thought it would look nice next to DW7 and DWG3.
- I picked up DW9 when it first came out and played a little bit of it so there was an incomplete trophy tracker on my PSN account
- the dynasty warriors film was coming out and it made me think about the games again.
- Not sure if it was because of the PS5 but the game's performance was relatively smooth so it wasn't completely aggravating to play.
- Also I had the mandarin chinese voice overs which I actually sort of enjoyed.

Though when I finally finished it, I was like "jesus never again".... unless future installments are vastly improved.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Darth Walrus posted:

Intriguing approach. I guess that means we'll then get SW7 starring Ieyasu?

That's what I was guessing. How does the old expression go? Nobunaga shaped the rice cake, Hideyoshi beat it, and Ieyasu ate it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PsyClops posted:

Yeah, like most Warriors games the localization leaves a bit to be desired.

I'm noticing a lot of grammar errors/weird localization choices, such as Mr. 1 during a Special Kizuna Attack yelling "I'll kill of you!" and Whitebeard yelling "I shot it but" which I don't know what the hell that means.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

5er posted:

That's what I was guessing. How does the old expression go? Nobunaga shaped the rice cake, Hideyoshi beat it, and Ieyasu ate it.

Yeah I think that's how it goes. An interesting approach for Koei!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay how the gently caress are you supposed to do the fourth treasure event in Punk Hazard? Every guide just says "Defeat Caesar before your allies take one of the territories" which yeah, no poo poo, except Caesar doesn't even appear until the Leader for the territory has spawned, and by the time I can actually get to Caesar the territory is taken and I fail to get the event. I can't even let any of my allies get taken out beforehand since anyone falling is a defeat. I genuinely can't figure out how anyone got this, it seems impossible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe turn up the difficulty so that your allies can't beat the leader as easily?

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay how the gently caress are you supposed to do the fourth treasure event in Punk Hazard? Every guide just says "Defeat Caesar before your allies take one of the territories" which yeah, no poo poo, except Caesar doesn't even appear until the Leader for the territory has spawned, and by the time I can actually get to Caesar the territory is taken and I fail to get the event. I can't even let any of my allies get taken out beforehand since anyone falling is a defeat. I genuinely can't figure out how anyone got this, it seems impossible.

Once the lab has been completely gassed and you've only got the small part with Caesar left, beeline for him and whip his rear end before anyone can capture anything. Don't even fight any trash, just go straight for Caesar.
It's a little annoying; bring your best character cos you gotta beat him fast.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So, is there an easier way to quickly level up generals in WO4? I've been awful about diversifying who I use and now I need to get a bunch of them to level 40 to unlock upgrades. Growth points only seem to give a couple levels per stage after the first big jump.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe turn up the difficulty so that your allies can't beat the leader as easily?

I played on Hard the first time when they beat the leader before Caesar could even show up.

I finally got it, the key for me was playing as Smoker. Since he's really close to where Law starts the strategy, I guess two named characters in the keep just tear through it really quickly. With me controlling Smoker it was pretty much just Law on his own, which gave me enough time to take out Caesar.

Legend Log now 100% completed, on to Dream Log.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wish Warriors Dojo had done breakdowns of everyone's movesets in PW3. Some characters seem pretty straightforward but others I'm not sure how to best utilize. Moira is a big one, I'm not sure what his Unique Action is supposed to accomplish. I'm also not really sure how to deal with enemy captains as Perona, since Negative Hollow doesn't seem to affect them at all. That kind of frustrates me since on one hand, I understand that completely shutting down bosses would make things too easy and Perona way overpowered, but on the other hand it also means that she loses a lot of her options for dealing with enemies which makes her feel too weak.

Also does anyone know of any good guides to raising crew levels? I'm having a hell of a time trying to level Morgan and Kuro. Morgan seems to almost always appear as an enemy, I don't know any levels where he reliably appears as an ally. Kuro is another frustrating one since it seems like even if he starts out as an ally, at some point in the battle he'll switch sides and become an enemy, which means his crew level doesn't increase afterwards. Anyone who knows where I can find a list of what levels are best to raise crew levels for non playable characters in, I'd be grateful for it.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729079419

This has a list of all the levels the NPCs show up as allies so you can raise their crew level.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I guess the only real post-story mode for SW5 is Citadel Mode, which looks pretty similar to Ambition mode in DW8? That was reasonably fun though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Don't watch the Dynasty Warriors movie.

You're welcome.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Morter posted:

Don't watch the Dynasty Warriors movie.

You're welcome.

Was it a case of the trailer is better than the film?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The movie is like part 1 of 10, cause it's like years before Zhuge Liang is ever in the story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tae posted:

The movie is like part 1 of 10, cause it's like years before Zhuge Liang is ever in the story.

gently caress

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Tae posted:

its literally the first 2 levels of dynasty warriors 3 and also some marvel rear end fight that goes nowhere

also blood magic?!?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Morter posted:

its literally the first 2 levels of dynasty warriors 3 and also some marvel rear end fight that goes nowhere

also blood magic?!?

Oh come on, it's Dynasty Warriors. What's so weird about a little blood magic?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What's so weird about a little blood magic?

I don't believe in magic! ONWAAAARD!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Useless! USELESS!!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just want a Dynasty Warriors game with zombies now.

Basically give me a Kingdom game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh my god zombies

how could i forget the zombies

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
SW5 demo dropping on Tuesday with progression carrying to the full game. Two levels, five playable characters.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/07/samurai_warriors_5_demo_slices_onto_ps4_next_week_save_data_carries_to_full_game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I really don't know how I feel about the demo. Visually and concept wise I think the redesign is really interesting and I'd like to see more of it. However playing it just doesn't feel very fun. I do like the idea of ultimate skills changing up combat but unless there's a major difference between how the full game feels, I'm honestly underwhelmed. Especially because young Nobunaga makes me kind of cringe a little? Like, I get they're changing how they portray the story of the Sengoku-jidai differently, but it seems so much like surface anime. A parody of anime tropes, more like.

I dunno. I'm struggling. :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't like the demo, game feels really stiff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I've been playing a bunch of Orochi 4 lately. How does the game feel compared to that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It definitely feels slow, I was constantly wondering when it reminded me of and then, oh yeah, playing as Kenshiro in Ken's Rage 😬

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh sweet, I loved Ken’s Rage

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
wow, SW5 sure does feel like a normal-rear end musou game

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mechafunkzilla posted:

wow, SW5 sure does feel like a normal-rear end musou game

I haven't played much beyond a few minutes into the first mission but I can't tell if it really is sluggish or a back to basics sort of thing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't played much beyond a few minutes into the first mission but I can't tell if it really is sluggish or a back to basics sort of thing.

I think the weapon kind of sucks too, when you play the other characters in free mode they're a bit more dynamic

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Nobunaga's weapon feels so sluggish and simple compared to the other weapons. It isn't a great introduction but the other weapons in free mode feel great. Game feels good enough for me to buy but this is a long time dynasty warriors player standards.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Other than hyrule warriors a few years ago, I haven’t played a mosou game in a long rear end time and it felt fine. A simple move set but effective enough.

What’s the deal with locked objectives? Are the requirements just hidden or do you need to actually unlock it by doing something else?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ultrachrist posted:

Other than hyrule warriors a few years ago, I haven’t played a mosou game in a long rear end time and it felt fine. A simple move set but effective enough.

What’s the deal with locked objectives? Are the requirements just hidden or do you need to actually unlock it by doing something else?

I believe they're hidden, and you have to trigger them on the map. Sometimes, it requires the use of a different character. At least, that's what I remember from SW4.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Nobunaga's weapon feels so sluggish and simple compared to the other weapons. It isn't a great introduction but the other weapons in free mode feel great. Game feels good enough for me to buy but this is a long time dynasty warriors player standards.

Ah, so they are bringing back multiple Weapons, like DW7 and 8?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Nobunaga himself is a bit slow the other character's feel great, I think Nobu will probably feel better once you have more skills to use/have a higher combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure if I am able to enjoy a musou game without dodge cancelling anymore.