Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

I'm so confused as to how this happened. There seems to be a fairly widespread view that Moderna is somehow inferior to Pfizer and it's like it just bubbled up out of nowhere. They're pretty much identical in terms of technology, efficacy, and side effects so what the hell happened? Hell, Moderna could be considered better from a logistics view because it doesn't require as cold temperatures for storage.

Are you allowed to ask why they're looking specifically for Pfizer, and if so what do they usually say?
I wonder if anyone's done a survey to dig into what's driving this.

The two biggest reasons seem to be people thinking there has been no testing on mixing them and that Moderna side effects are way worse. The biggest reason I hear from the under-40 crowd is fear that it will affect fertility.

So its literally Facebook brain poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Other countries are doing vaccine mixing, following Canada's lead. Thailand, France, Germany.... a quick Google and it looks like India and ASEAN are considering making it their official policy soon too.

Don't stress about not being able to travel, this isn't just Canada's problem and will get ironed out probably sooner than later.

The sad irony is that while I agree that it won't be a problem for Canada/Germany/France/Denmark et al, I'm willing to bet it will be for developing countries. In fact I think if you surveyed Canadians today about whether they would feel comfortable letting in people that have been vaccinated with SinoVac or Sputnik the majority would say no.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I am sure that every country will come to an agreement. I myself am mixed dosed as I didn’t care what I got.

I’m just making the point that not everyone who is vaccine shopping is doing it for trivial reasons. If my job depended on travel I would certainly want what would guarantee me the best luck of doing so until they work all of this out.

Not everyone is a vax snob or a chud

Just a lot of them

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Starks posted:

The sad irony is that while I agree that it won't be a problem for Canada/Germany/France/Denmark et al, I'm willing to bet it will be for developing countries. In fact I think if you surveyed Canadians today about whether they would feel comfortable letting in people that have been vaccinated with SinoVac or Sputnik the majority would say no.

Oh yeah for sure. The neoliberal goal has long been free trade for goods but restricted immigration for people. In other words, let the poors stay where they are and be cheap labour so we can be rich. COVID gives that ideology a shot in the arm.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My husband and I are both Pfizer first Moderna second. I had no side effects for either, but my husband got really feverish and chills for like 30 hours after, then he bounced back.

When I called to make the appointment I was specifically asked to agree not to leave of the vaccine wasn't my first choice, and lo it wasn't and there was a woman there saying she wouldn't accept the Moderna vaccine and left.

My husband is American and we still don't care about the mix and match, we both consider it better to be double vaxxed than piss around about needing the preferred choice. I'm not taking my chances with variants.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apparently there have been over 400 complaints that Mary Simon doesn't speak French and therefore should not be the new GG because she won't represent the francophone community of Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/8039614/governor-general-mary-simon-official-languages-investigation/

quote:

Canada’s official languages watchdog is opening an investigation after receiving more than 400 complaints in nearly two weeks about the appointment of prominent Inuk leader Mary Simon as governor general.

Simon does not speak French, which is enshrined in the Official Languages Act as one of Canada’s two official languages. She has said she is committed to learning French on the job but was denied the chance to do so while attending a federal day school in her youth.
She speaks English and Inuktitut.

“The appointment of a governor general who is not fluent in both official languages has elicited many reactions across the country since her appointment was announced on July 6th,” Raymond Théberge said in a statement announcing the investigation.
He said while he understands Canada is “at a turning point” in the country’s steps towards reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples, the number of complaints received over Simon’s lack of French continues to mount.
“I have also received a significant number of complaints on this matter—over 400 to date,” he said.

“In my opinion, this demonstrates that linguistic duality continues to be an important value for Canadians. We have analyzed the complaints received to date and have determined that they are admissible. I will therefore be investigating the matter.”

Simon is set to be sworn in as governor general on July 26.

According to Théberge, his investigation will focus on the role of the Privy Council Office in the appointment. He also said while he would be limited from commenting on the investigation as it unfolds, he wanted to use the opportunity to issue a reminder to those behind such decisions.
“Too often, I see a discourse that puts respect for diversity and inclusion on one hand, and respect for official languages on the other, as if they were mutually exclusive and could not coexist. I would like to remind decision‑makers that it is entirely possible to respect official languages while being inclusive,” he said.

"Let’s aim to make our country a place where we don’t have to choose between respect for official languages and inclusion for all.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on July 6 that Simon will be Canada’s first Indigenous governor general. A prominent Inuk leader, Simon is also a former Canadian diplomat who served as ambassador to Denmark and who played a prominent role in the creation of the Arctic Council.

But her past work in diplomacy has led to questions from some who have wondered why she appears not to have learned French throughout her professional career, which has spanned some 50 years.
“In her entire career as a diplomat for Canada, has she never felt the need?” tweeted Françoise Boivin, a former member of the House of Commons.
Political consultant Patrick Déry tweeted in French that Simon was certainly “impressive,” — “but was there not, in the whole country, only one qualified Indigenous person who would also have been able to express themselves in French?”

“I cannot imagine for a second that Mary Simon could have been appointed if she had spoken only Inuktitut and French,” another Twitter user going by the name Sylvain Lefebvre tweeted in French.

Trudeau has previously argued against top-level federal appointments of people who are not bilingual in both official languages, including defending the requirement for Supreme Court of Canada justices to be fluent in English and French at the time of appointment.

As part of that, he changed the rules for appointments to the top court in 2016 to require that applicants selected must be functionally bilingual in both official languages.
He was also part of the Liberal caucus under interim leader Bob Rae in 2011 that opposed the appointment of former auditor general Michael Ferguson because he did not speak French.
Trudeau, however, said Simon should be given the chance to learn.

“She was born in northern Quebec. Her mother tongue is Inuktitut. She learned a second language, English, in the day school she attended because they didn’t teach French there in the ’50s. That’s the reality,” he said, speaking in French, when pressed on the matter on July 6.

“She understands the importance of being able to properly represent all Canadians, and that’s why she’s committing to take French lessons and to learn French.”

Considering the rather appalling historic relationship between Indigenous groups and French catholics it's pretty rich that they're outraged over this. Get the gently caress over yourselves or build a time machine and go the gently caress back to Abraham and take the bullet for Montcalm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently there have been over 400 complaints that Mary Simon doesn't speak French and therefore should not be the new GG because she won't represent the francophone community of Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/8039614/governor-general-mary-simon-official-languages-investigation/

Considering the rather appalling historic relationship between Indigenous groups and French catholics it's pretty rich that they're outraged over this. Get the gently caress over yourselves or build a time machine and go the gently caress back to Abraham and take the bullet for Montcalm.

Quebecers doing a racism? Say it ain't so!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Other countries are doing vaccine mixing, following Canada's lead. Thailand, France, Germany.... a quick Google and it looks like India and ASEAN are considering making it their official policy soon too.

Don't stress about not being able to travel, this isn't just Canada's problem and will get ironed out probably sooner than later.

A key difference here though is as far as I can tell is nobody else is mixing specifically Pfizer and Moderna which yeah they're super close and it looks like there aren't any issues based on Canada's real world experience but there isn't really any study to point to like there is for mixing AZ/other vaccines. It would have been nice if after announcing Pfizer/Moderna mixing Health Canada had combined it with a short ongoing observational study or whatever just to give something to point other countries to but as far as I can tell they just didn't do that.

It'll be ironed out in the future sure but it's still leading to a lot of disappointment now. Take the example of my roommate. He's double vaxxed with Pfizer/Moderna, hasn't seen his family in Ireland in two years and was real excited to try and plan a trip for the fall. As of now he can't because Ireland specifically won't recognize the Pfizer/Moderna mix as double vaxxed. There may be a limited window this year where international travel is still easier vs. a possible delta spike in the fall and winter and if he misses it, could be another year before he can go back.

So from his perspective if he'd waited a few weeks or shopped around for a second Pfizer dose he could be booking tickets to see his family now vs. all he has to go on is a vague "We're working on it" from the Feds.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 20, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress these people so much. Jesus Christ.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Beelzebufo posted:

gently caress these people so much. Jesus Christ.

Are you implying they don't actually care (or know what the GG is/does) and are just being racist? That doesn't sound very Canadian.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look reconciliation is good and all but have you considered how the French language needs to be represented on the global stage! Who's the real victim here, huh, English man?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
French isn't really that hard to learn

Unless you are Kevin O'Leary

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Say she wants to, take a token step, choke out a phrase and then never touch it again.

Kinda like what the feds do whenever reconciliation becomes an issue

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think Cindy Blackstock said it pretty well:

https://twitter.com/cblackst/status/1417454886057390081?s=20

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A key difference here though is as far as I can tell is nobody else is mixing specifically Pfizer and Moderna which yeah they're super close and it looks like there aren't any issues based on Canada's real world experience but there isn't really any study to point to like there is for mixing AZ/other vaccines. It would have been nice if after announcing Pfizer/Moderna mixing Health Canada had combined it with a short ongoing observational study or whatever just to give something to point other countries to but as far as I can tell they just didn't do that.

Are you sure they aren't doing that? They are tracking all vaccinations and all infections after vaccination to calculate vaccine efficacy. They have all the data to calculate vaccine efficacy after mixed doses. I would assume they are doing this but it's not a formal study because it's just based on their routine administrative data/vaccine surveillance.

Edit: sorry for the double-post.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's why I hate the language watchdog so much. In theory it is should be used to prevent the intentional marginalization of the official languages but in practice it's used to stamp down anything that isn't French, to the point where the greeting Bonjour-Hi makes the nationalists apoplectic.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

calling people racist over this seems like a stretch when you know they'd be getting the same complaints regardless of the GG's ethnicity. That being said, GG seems like the absolute last government job you should need French for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many government jobs have a French requirement that doesn't exist past the questionnaire and application page on Canada.ca

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's racist because even the expectation of this on the part of a someone like Mary Simon is absurd. It it was some white anglo dude, gently caress yes, skewer them for not knowing French. The indigenous woman who has proactively said she will learn, wanted to learn but was denied it? Find these complainers and cut there fingers and their tongues off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

It's racist because even the expectation of this on the part of a someone like Mary Simon is absurd. It it was some white anglo dude, gently caress yes, skewer them for not knowing French. The indigenous woman who has proactively said she will learn, wanted to learn but was denied it? Find these complainers and cut there fingers and their tongues off.

:staredog:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't go that far. I would have just granted Quebec sovereignty over Quebec City in exchange for never being allowed to influence federal politics or international relations ever again. They want sovereignty, they can have it as a rump state as racist and bigoted as they like in a small, concentrated area that is easy to quarantine from the rest of the world.

I had a similar idea for the western provinces but the quarantine zone is a tad larger.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Starks posted:

calling people racist over this seems like a stretch

"People are only allowed to be a part of the government if they speak these two specific European languages" is racism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*banging my hands on the table, chanting*

Balkanization!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wouldn't go that far. I would have just granted Quebec sovereignty over Quebec City in exchange for never being allowed to influence federal politics or international relations ever again. They want sovereignty, they can have it as a rump state as racist and bigoted as they like in a small, concentrated area that is easy to quarantine from the rest of the world.

I had a similar idea for the western provinces but the quarantine zone is a tad larger.

The issue with that is that Quebec City is a beautiful city, with a lot of nice things. Can we just give them Trois-Riviere's instead?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Starks posted:

calling people racist over this seems like a stretch when you know they'd be getting the same complaints regardless of the GG's ethnicity. That being said, GG seems like the absolute last government job you should need French for.

Hello friends, today we will discuss systemic racism and why "they'd bitch about anyone for this, it's not racist!" is a dumb loving argument!

When the thing that people complain about is a habitual aspect of one specific group more than another, especially when that difference results from targeted government policies or innate characteristics, it's discriminatory against that group! Yes, it's true!

Other great examples of this lovely line of logic include "gay people have the same rights as straight people, they can get married to someone of the opposite sex," "dreadlocks are considered an unacceptable hairstyle for everyone," and "no one is allowed to wear do-rags, it's not racist!"

Apart from that, you can also make the point that she is completely bilingual, and in fact speaks a marginalized language that is actually under threat as opposed to one that a bunch of delusional loving rear end in a top hat racists simply believe is under threat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Would the official languages commissioner accept complaints that David Johnson didn't speak Inuktitut? No? Hmmmm.....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Inuktitut isn't a real language that is under threat from English imperialism like poor defenseless Franglish.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Goosed it. posted:

Are you sure they aren't doing that? They are tracking all vaccinations and all infections after vaccination to calculate vaccine efficacy. They have all the data to calculate vaccine efficacy after mixed doses. I would assume they are doing this but it's not a formal study because it's just based on their routine administrative data/vaccine surveillance.

Edit: sorry for the double-post.

I'm no scientist but my understanding is this is considerably weaker evidence than a proper study, there's just too many confounding factors. Hopefully it's enough to lift travel restrictions!

We also could've done a study on spreading doses out longer than three weeks, except we said "gently caress it" then too. Honestly, it's great that people are getting vaccinated so soon and so quickly, but we're doing a lovely job in a lot of ways.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Another Bill posted:

Oh yeah for sure. The neoliberal goal has long been free trade for goods but restricted immigration for people. In other words, let the poors stay where they are and be cheap labour so we can be rich. COVID gives that ideology a shot in the arm.

I actually don't fully agree with that - neo-liberal parties tend to actually increase immigration, even if they make noises about doing the opposite (because you can pay immigrants way way less, no-one gives a poo poo about their working conditions and you can take well-educated/trained people out of other countries which is way cheaper for businesses than doing it yourself)

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I'm no scientist but my understanding is this is considerably weaker evidence than a proper study, there's just too many confounding factors. Hopefully it's enough to lift travel restrictions!

We also could've done a study on spreading doses out longer than three weeks, except we said "gently caress it" then too. Honestly, it's great that people are getting vaccinated so soon and so quickly, but we're doing a lovely job in a lot of ways.

The post I was responding to was suggesting an observational study in tandem with the roll-out.

But, to respond to what you're saying, yes and no. If confounding is evenly distributed across comparators then it's not a big deal (basically cancels out), and if confounding is both measurable and measured (e.g., age) then analysis can adjust for it. The challenge is with unmeasured and unknown confounding. This is an issue even in RCTs but the assumption is that successful randomization should yield comparable groups. In observational studies, we can look to see if their are differences and then adjust for specific confounders. But we can also use more advanced techniques. For example we can create groups of people that are matched on their probability to be in a given group (called propensity score matching).

Observational studies will give a better understanding of real world vaccine performance because you are measuring the risk associated with people living their lives without observation vs people who know they are in a study.

There are also lots of research questions for which RCTs are not possible or RCTs are unable to address. In this case, an RCT wouldn't be able to answer questions about the emergent preventative impact of vaccines (and mixed vaccines vs same-same regimens).

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I was lucky enough to get a dose of AZ in BC in early May, and then I had to take a long trip back to the United States, where I got two shots of Pfizer. I had some reservations about mixing / doing an extra dose, but the risks seemed low, and I didn't want to end up having to explain that I got two different shots in different countries any time I might need to provide proof of vaccination.

I returned recently to find a letter from the provincial government to sign up for my second dose here. What's the best course of action? Should I try to call them and explain my situation? Go ahead and sign up for another shot of whatever? I don't think it would hurt, but I'd rather not take one away from others who could benefit more, lots of my friends here in BC haven't been able to get a second dose yet. Or maybe just ignore the letter for now, until there's some kind of formal system for recognizing US vaccinations here?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was expecting the fundie vaccination problem to solve itself in one way or another over time. I thought it was gonna be through people killing themselves through stubbornness, but this seems even better since they won't be clogging up the ICU. Sucks for the places they're emigrating to though.

Vaccine fears fuel exodus from Winkler area

quote:

Some residents of Winkler and the surrounding municipalities who are opposed to COVID-19 vaccinations have chosen to leave Canada to avoid getting the injection.

Prompted both by fears of safety of the vaccines and worries that governments will soon require them to show proof of vaccination to travel, more than 100 Low German-speaking Mennonites from southern Manitoba have left the country in the last three months, with more likely to follow, a Winkler immigration consultant said.

"In the last three months, people are scattering out of Manitoba," said Bolivian-born Mary Friesen, who has lived in Canada for 21 years. "They are trying to get out of Manitoba as fast as possible."

Friesen knows of 18 families, most with at least four children, who have moved to Mexico, Paraguay or Bolivia from Winkler or the nearby municipalities of Stanley and Rhineland.

Recent government campaigns encouraging people to get vaccinated against COVID-19 have prompted the exodus, says Friesen, with people leaving jobs and homes behind in order to cross the border before proof of vaccination becomes a requirement of travel.

"The reason to leave is they are afraid of the vaccine itself and they don’t want the vaccine," she says.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gloom posted:

I was lucky enough to get a dose of AZ in BC in early May, and then I had to take a long trip back to the United States, where I got two shots of Pfizer. I had some reservations about mixing / doing an extra dose, but the risks seemed low, and I didn't want to end up having to explain that I got two different shots in different countries any time I might need to provide proof of vaccination.

I returned recently to find a letter from the provincial government to sign up for my second dose here. What's the best course of action? Should I try to call them and explain my situation? Go ahead and sign up for another shot of whatever? I don't think it would hurt, but I'd rather not take one away from others who could benefit more, lots of my friends here in BC haven't been able to get a second dose yet. Or maybe just ignore the letter for now, until there's some kind of formal system for recognizing US vaccinations here?

They should be able to recognize your CDC receipt, I imagine. It's a problem for plenty of people, snowbirds and the like.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Would the official languages commissioner accept complaints that David Johnson didn't speak Inuktitut? No? Hmmmm.....

No because Inuktitut isn't a recognized official language of Canada while French is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

supersnowman posted:

No because Inuktitut isn't a recognized official language of Canada while French is.

hmm I wonder why that is. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

supersnowman posted:

Why not? :colbert:

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

bunnyofdoom posted:

The issue with that is that Quebec City is a beautiful city, with a lot of nice things. Can we just give them Trois-Riviere's instead?

What? No way - Trois Rivieres is one of the few affordable and liveable working class cities left in Canada with regards to cost of living expenses. At least, provided you don't live downwind from the pulp and paper mill.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Arcsquad12 posted:

How do we know who what percentage of the 400 people are Francophone Canadians?

For all we know, a good portion of these complainants might have come from unilingual english-speaking individuals with a dislike of both Francophones and Indigenous peoples, and are now raising a technicality to get their wish.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Frankly I hope she refuses to speak both official languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PT6A posted:

Hello friends, today we will discuss systemic racism and why "they'd bitch about anyone for this, it's not racist!" is a dumb loving argument!

When the thing that people complain about is a habitual aspect of one specific group more than another, especially when that difference results from targeted government policies or innate characteristics, it's discriminatory against that group! Yes, it's true!

Other great examples of this lovely line of logic include "gay people have the same rights as straight people, they can get married to someone of the opposite sex," "dreadlocks are considered an unacceptable hairstyle for everyone," and "no one is allowed to wear do-rags, it's not racist!"

Apart from that, you can also make the point that she is completely bilingual, and in fact speaks a marginalized language that is actually under threat as opposed to one that a bunch of delusional loving rear end in a top hat racists simply believe is under threat.

I think you're confusing systemic vs. individual racism. I'm not arguing against Simon's appointment and I agree the practice of hiring bilingual GGs is inherently racist because indigenous students aren't offered the same education, to put it very mildly. The rule is absolutely discriminatory, I just don't think you can say the people writing to the commission are motivated by race if they would do the same thing regardless of ethnicity. This should be obvious but you and a few others in this thread have a serious case of QDS (Quebec Derangement Syndrome).