Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't used Entity Framework in a while, but I hear that people like Entity Framework Core for new C#.

it's more like "tolerates" ef core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I've been using C11 for my hobby stuff recently. It's a pretty nice language.

Also been metaprogramming with lex and yacc.

Turns out the best programming environment that ever existed was Unix stuff in the early 90s, and everything since has been regressive. :cloud:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Simply put, most companies aren't open-sourcing their business critical code, it's mostly tools and libraries if anything.

No, but I'm sure a decent-sized minority of that GH code has been used in production code at some point.

But also https://github.com/microsoft/dotnet

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TypeScript itself is fine, no issues with it. As I’ve said, the big problems are:

1. the tech choices we’ve got are lame and bad, and
2. we keep changing our goddamn tech choices every 8-12 months

which loving obliterates me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

TypeScript itself is fine, no issues with it. As I’ve said, the big problems are:

maybe a rewrite would help

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:v:

Serious response: Eh…a rewrite is a big gamble and a big upfront cost. I wouldn’t recommend it in every case, and even if I do, with a buncha caveats.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Modern code (code that I wrote just now) is good, legacy code (code that someone else I wrote earlier) is bad.

Fixed that for you :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like you don't have any paying customers so that should limit the damage.

Or you do have paying customers, in which case you're already ripping them off so eh what's once more around the merry-go-round.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Nest.js is generally good. It's one of those libraries where it's obvious it got started from somebody trying to W, X, Y, and Z simultaneously, getting ticked off that it's frustrating and time-consuming to actually try to do all of those things at once in JS/TS (unit testing with dependency injection, GraphQL, OpenAPI, Typescript, RabbitMQ or websocket listening without needing a separate process for it, clean controllers for in-server event subscriptions, etc), and deciding to make a library to better enable it.

They've got a handful of obvious dumb decisions—for example, naming non-http messaging "microservices" and baking a specific JSON format into them by default. With that said, most of those dumb decisions can be easily worked around, and if you want Typescript plus OpenAPI or GraphQL without duplicating with your type definitions it's one of the few libraries out there that lets you easily do that without it being a big pain in the rear end that needs extra build steps.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 20, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I heard about SAFE for the first time. Fortunately it was in a negative context in that it was tried prior to my time, failed miserably, and "please let's not do that ever again!". Seems to back up the thread consensus for what that's worth.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
SAFE: Homeopathy for management. Treat metastasized ceremony with distilled ceremony.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005

downout posted:

I heard about SAFE for the first time. Fortunately it was in a negative context in that it was tried prior to my time, failed miserably, and "please let's not do that ever again!". Seems to back up the thread consensus for what that's worth.

The first time I read about SAFE I thought it was satire. I mean look at this chart

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

First time I heard about SAFe was when my company hired a bunch of people to migrate the company to it and then the company got real bad.

Peggle Fever
Sep 21, 2005

shake it
My org is working through this transition right now. I’m glad it’s so clearly rooted in the Agile Manifesto that the folks responsible want to immediately implement process changes across all the development teams in a one size fits all approach.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So an acquaintance of a good friend heard I was looking to go back to my FANG and is interested to talking to me about working at his start-up instead.

Not sure if he's a founder or just a founding employee or what but my friend thinks they're excited about getting to a point where they can maybe get acquired in a year or two or something. Supposedly his friends have started and sold companies before but I don't know if this particular one has.

I guess it can't hurt to talk to them but is there anything I should ask? It sounds like they don't see a need to formally interview me and just want to have a fit talk and maybe ask what I'd do in certain situations or maybe how I'd handle certain engineering problems?

I've never worked for a start-up before. Apparently it's in the defense industry, if that changes anything.

Given his friends apparently have experienced exits before, I assume he's not talking about a unicorn where you're gonna make enough to retire off an exit- especially joining when it's already mature.

I'm still waiting on team matching at the FANG.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The big things that you want to know about are compensation and stability. It's absolutely OK to ask what their business plan is, how much runway they have, what the big risks to their company are, etc. You can also ask about what their expected growth potential is, and how many investors they have / how much freedom those investors give them.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently working in system automation programming for web application servers. I think I hate it. Data engineering roles catch my eye, though. Is there any reason I shouldn't pursue data engineering for my next job? Is it hard to get into for an experienced business and devops programmer?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord help me, Google's interested, and now I'm staring at a pile of prep materials.

I am woefully unprepared. I tried the Linked List problem on Leetcode, and it took me over an hour with a bunch of experimentation to get something that passed all the test cases. I can't pull it out of a hat, especially in a fuckin Google Doc instead of a REPL. :negative: I'm not sure if this is actually going to go well...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
grind dynamic programming problems hth

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

Lord help me, Google's interested, and now I'm staring at a pile of prep materials.

I am woefully unprepared. I tried the Linked List problem on Leetcode, and it took me over an hour with a bunch of experimentation to get something that passed all the test cases. I can't pull it out of a hat, especially in a fuckin Google Doc instead of a REPL. :negative: I'm not sure if this is actually going to go well...

You got this. I remember when all your posts were about you feeling like you didn't know what you were doing. Worst case scenario, they go "Nah" and you do something else!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Very fair! This isn't do-or-die, I'm not coming into this expecting to succeed. I do wanna see how far I can get, though.

As for Leetcode grinding...how much of this are you actually expected to figure out on your own??? I'm at the lesson about finding the first node in a linked list cycle, and I ended up looking up the solution. There's no way I would have figured this out on my own. Am I "not good enough" if I have to do research to figure out how to accomplish something? The obvious answer is "no", and that means that these questions are really just gatekeeping shibboleths testing to see if you've seen a specific problem before. They don't test anything else.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

The obvious answer is "no", and that means that these questions are really just gatekeeping shibboleths testing to see if you've seen a specific problem before. They don't test anything else.

:yeah:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre gatekeeping having formal algo training

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's the course I failed the first time around in uni because it was just rote memorization and boring. Sure, this stuff powers everything cool, but we never did anything with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I’m going to call bullshit on this. Grab any Google engineer and sit them down in front of an app suffering performance or bugs from something involving complex graphs, and unless they do that for a literal living (which 99% of development is not) they’re gonna have to do some research and investigation. Sometimes enough to spend at least a day on it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
formal algo training turns the weeks into days, theoretically

it doesnt in practice cuz most peeps just memorize poo poo lol

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Linked list manipulation, sorting, dynamic programming, and similar questions are useful if you’re interviewing graduates from a good four-year computer science program, because they’re actually a proxy for “did you stay awake in class and do your own homework, or coast through by copying from buddies?”

The problem is that idiots think they’re somehow an objective measurement of Good At Computer, so if you’ve never done a CS program or are a few years out of school, you gotta study up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven’t touched a linked list since my algorithms and data structures class *check notes* 19 years ago

Shruggoth
Nov 8, 2020

I think most algo question I've been asked can be solved with broad solutions such as sliding windows, divide and conquer, etc. even if it's not necessarily the optimal one. Practice can help you identify those more easily. Don't feel bad if you don't already know this stuff as it could be because you weren't taught it or you were taught it and don't remember (like me).

There are a lot of "you must know the solution beforehand" type questions though which are complete bullshit, like the tortoise and hare algorithm. If you're time-limited don't worry about those ones as much.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Techbro’s gonna techbro. This is just one of the less dangerous effects of the same culture you find at places like Twitter, Uber, or Activision-Blizzard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shruggoth posted:

I think most algo question I've been asked can be solved with broad solutions such as sliding windows, divide and conquer, etc. even if it's not necessarily the optimal one. Practice can help you identify those more easily. Don't feel bad if you don't already know this stuff as it could be because you weren't taught it or you were taught it and don't remember (like me).

You get ten minutes to solve my cyclical linked list problem, if you don’t have it down within that amount of time, I will be very disappointed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
listen, theyre making you jump through some bs hoops for a few dozen hours for the pay delta, which is usually like a hundred grand to more depending on previous pay. just suck it up and complain afterwards

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Pollyanna posted:

You get ten minutes to solve my cyclical linked list problem, if you don’t have it down within that amount of time, I will be very disappointed.

Reverse the list and free each node, when you segfault you found it.

6.5 figgies please.

(I did not come up with that, saw it in a tweet somewhere.)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's all an elaborate conspiracy to sell more copies of cracking the code interview

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You have failed me, Shruggoth!!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I looked up how to find the first node in a linked list cycle and it involved a "slow pointer" and a "fast pointer" and I'm sitting here like, "Just walk down the list from the Head, adding each node to a Set. When the Set didn't change after adding the node, you found the start of the loop. :confuoot:"

That's probably O(n²) or something, whatever.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pokeyman posted:

Reverse the list and free each node, when you segfault you found it.

6.5 figgies please.

(I did not come up with that, saw it in a tweet somewhere.)

I came up with that independently back in uni on an exam. Later courses added the word 'nondestructively' to the question. :unsmith:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CPColin posted:

I looked up how to find the first node in a linked list cycle and it involved a "slow pointer" and a "fast pointer" and I'm sitting here like, "Just walk down the list from the Head, adding each node to a Set. When the Set didn't change after adding the node, you found the start of the loop. :confuoot:"

That's probably O(n²) or something, whatever.

It's O(n) at the cost of some extra space complexity. It's the solution I thought of as well

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Neat! Pollyanna, I'll take a 10% cut of your Google figgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
When I was interviewing people I would have like three simple questions ready to make sure you could recognize when to use one of these.

Sometimes my question would get banned and I'd switch to something even more contrived like manipulating the data structures (e.g., pointer manipulation in a linked list) instead of just using them.

There is value in knowing the basic performance properties of abstract data structures so you can understand how the ones in your language behave. Lists and hash tables show up pretty much everywhere in my experience and I even needed to understand basic tree and graph traversal for some boring enterprise software I worked on once.

Besides that, I use depth and breadth search more often in digging through outdated documentation than in actual coding...

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's O(n) at the cost of some extra space complexity. It's the solution I thought of as well

There are probably people who would want to know if you could do it without the extra space but I'd actually be happy to see you used the Set because it would show me you're aware basic data structures exist and can use them in your language.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The big things that you want to know about are compensation and stability. It's absolutely OK to ask what their business plan is, how much runway they have, what the big risks to their company are, etc. You can also ask about what their expected growth potential is, and how many investors they have / how much freedom those investors give them.

Thanks! And it turns out I was way off... A few texts back and forth with them revealed it was two guys with an idea looking for an engineer and investors. It still sounds like one of them might have done something like this before unless I completely misunderstood that part but uh... That doesn't sound super stable so far.