Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Daily rainfall records are obviously called that as you are naturally supposed to break them daily. Nothing to worry about.

Just going to nip over to the shops and buy an ark. ...um, something I also normally, just every day do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

getting there but Turkey should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F before consuming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I'm more concerned about those hot Lesbos

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ekuNNN posted:

:stonk:
[horrifying tweets]

I think if I was underground in shoulder-deep floodwater surrounded by flickering lights, I would start screaming and not stop. Either that or trip over someone's submerged bag and swiftly drown in the poo-water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tired: bikes in subway

Wired: kayaks in subway

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

I think if I was underground in shoulder-deep floodwater surrounded by flickering lights, I would start screaming and not stop. Either that or trip over someone's submerged bag and swiftly drown in the poo-water.

The water visible through the windows is at least a foot higher than the water inside the train too, so the first person to freak out and try to escape will just flood the car if successful. :stonk:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

oh my god lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

did they uhh make it out of there.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

did they uhh make it out of there.

apparently not all :(

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1417526535163195396?s=21

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Young Orc

ok thats terrifying

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

holy poo poo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Weatherdammerung 2021: Annual Hundred Year Floods and Fires For Everybody!

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't even see the sun driving home in Denver tonight and we're nowhere near any of the big fires

It didn't get this bad here until September last year. Also the Northwoods of Canada seem to be very on fire this year according to the maps. Cool, cool

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Really just settling into my brain right now that its still July so there's a minimum of 2 more months of this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OK baizuo posted:

I couldn't even see the sun driving home in Denver tonight and we're nowhere near any of the big fires

It didn't get this bad here until September last year. Also the Northwoods of Canada seem to be very on fire this year according to the maps. Cool, cool

Sunlight was heavily filtered here in the DC area.

silicone thrills posted:

Really just settling into my brain right now that its still July so there's a minimum of 2 more months of this.

Autumn/Fall is now "Summer Lite."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

indeed

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That Chinese subway video and story is legit horrifying.
Those poor poor people :smith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

there's the rest of your life of this

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Stereotype posted:

there's the rest of your life of this

:hai:

Honestly thinking about just doing drugs constantly now.

edit: I didn't even smoke weed for the first time until like 5 years ago and now all I want to do is live in an altered state.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
never gonna take for granted that i can ride my bike late night to get terrible greasy amazing chinese food. its so good and bad at the same time.

the lo mein comes out of a crock pot thats been marinating for who knows how long and its perfect.

gently caress you btw

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
oh yeah :okpos:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Why don't they just open the doors and swim to safety?

Oh.

That water was moving very fast. Just loving terrifying.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why don't they just open the doors and swim to safety?

Oh.

That water was moving very fast. Just loving terrifying.

holy poo poo. I thought they were moving at first.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

its hard to maintain acceptance when every loving week there's a new upsetting thing that wants to push me back into depression

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

12 people died in the flooded subway tunnels

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/1417729100941348867?s=21

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Colin Mockery posted:

its hard to maintain acceptance when every loving week there's a new upsetting thing that wants to push me back into depression

You know that 5 stages of grief thing is just made up pop-psychology bullshit right? Feeling depressed because we've ruined our planet is a perfectly legitimate response to a hosed up situation. It's really lovely what's happening and it's ok to feel miserable about it.

Whether it's healthy or productive is another conversation entirely but I'm of the opinion that at this point who cares if it is or not?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the five stages of grief just also describe a large swath of all human emotion. they aren’t even specific to grief either, for example I can be angry about lots of non-grief related things such as injustice. it’s just a subset of emotions acting as a tool to aid healing

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If it was DC Metro they'd probably have cheaped out on the failsafe systems and have live current passing through the water from the third rail so really that problem would take of itself

They have failsafe systems for that? I was curious about the third rail when NYC subways flooded and people seemed fine. Apparently if there's enough conductive material in the water, the current spreads out more easily and dissipates before hurting anyone. That's why it's more difficult to get electrocuted in saltwater.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Apparently Zhengzhou got almost a year's worth of rain in three days? And there's more on the way across the province.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silicone thrills posted:

*dies when roof collapses under five feet of snow*

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Cygna posted:

Apparently Zhengzhou got almost a year's worth of rain in three days? And there's more on the way across the province.

i wonder how much longer three gorges has left in a world with rainfall episodes like this

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I live in the NE US.. we've had flooded streets, parkst, rivers all over the place the last week or so. These are things that never happen where I live. Anything on a "flood plane" here is due to snow melting not summertime rain accumulation. Everything is good and fine here.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Charles Mansion posted:

i wonder how much longer three gorges has left in a world with rainfall episodes like this

I was just wondering this myself. wasn’t it already in trouble not long ago? this has to be stressing their dams to the breaking point

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's rained every day this month in New Orleans, and we're on pace to hit our annual rainfall for the year by the end of this month.

We have a lot of streets with neutral grounds in the middle separating the two directions of the road, and when it's raining a lot is suspend parking restrictions, so you can park your car on the neutral ground, which is a good bit higher than the curbs. You know the storm is getting bad when you get a text from the city that you can park on the neutral ground. Anyway, those parking restrictions (which only get suspended during street flooding emergencies) have been suspended 15% of the time this year.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Jul 21, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

neutral grounds is a funny regional name

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

tater_salad posted:

I live in the NE US.. we've had flooded streets, parkst, rivers all over the place the last week or so. These are things that never happen where I live. Anything on a "flood plane" here is due to snow melting not summertime rain accumulation. Everything is good and fine here.

here in upstate NY we've had 9 inches of rain to date in July, which is 2.5X the usual, although we've been a medium drought the last three years.

problem with the hudson valley is there's almost nowhere for the rain to go, the topsoil is between 0 and 48" deep to shale, so weird poo poo starts to happen once the ground is completely saturated

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

The Camp Fire that burned down Paradise in 2018 started in November.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/wxjerdman/status/1417853114888114176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Real hurthling! posted:

neutral grounds is a funny regional name

The original neutral ground divided the French Quarter from the American Sector, and it really was kind of a dmz…at least as a bit of a joke.

https://www.nola.com/300/article_dae65fa9-59fe-526b-bd3a-8404e4e98ca3.html