Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

Given the books they were emulating it's not that surprising that Galaxy of Fear was poo poo. I have pretty fond memories of Young and Junior Jedi Knights, enough that there's no way I'm gonna go back and check and risk ruining them.

YJK still mostly holds up, if you're willing to accept the conceit "these are kids books, so everything has to involve These Kids getting into situations that would more quickly be resolved by alerting literally their famous parents and the government they work for"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Galaxy of Fear is mainly notable for being willing to crossover with drat near everything in the Bantam era EU. You've got Jerec from Dark Forces 2, Platt O'Keefe and Tru'eb Cholaak, and I think even Hethrir showed up at one point, though I could be mistaken. There were loads of cameos throughout the series.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SW and the 90s kids horror craze were a huge part of my childhood so I can’t be overly harsh on them. Despite the silliness of the book I was still relatively entertained.

YJK on the other hand was just a slog to get through two books as an adult. KJA dumbed the reading level on them way down to the point I don’t think JJK could possibly be at a lower reading level.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the Jedi Apprentice books around the time Phantom menace came out. I did lol at Qui Gon's previous angsty student turning into a teenage crime lord called Xanatos and taking over Telos with a gambling game literally called Catharsis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked the Jedi Apprentice books around the time Phantom menace came out. I did lol at Qui Gon's previous angsty student turning into a teenage crime lord called Xanatos and taking over Telos with a gambling game literally called Catharsis.

Jedi Apprentice was the other series I grew up on, and will cop to have revisited as an adult. A lot gets made of Obi-wan and his relationship with Duchess Satine -- but there's a really well done Prior Romance arc between Qui-Gon and another Jedi named Tahl that gives some really good insight into Qui-Gon as a character.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read most of JA, and a few of the JQ books but was aging out of them by that point. Jude Watson carved out a nice little niche for herself.

She also co-wrote the two Star Wars Science Adventures books. In which a kid gets stuck in an escape pod with R2 and Threepio, and then treks across an unknown world with them. All while learning scientific principles. It ends on a cliffhanger that is never resolved.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I read most of JA, and a few of the JQ books but was aging out of them by that point. Jude Watson carved out a nice little niche for herself.

She also co-wrote the two Star Wars Science Adventures books. In which a kid gets stuck in an escape pod with R2 and Threepio, and then treks across an unknown world with them. All while learning scientific principles. It ends on a cliffhanger that is never resolved.

I remember reading the first one of those books. Taught me about atmospheric re-entry principles...even though I'm pretty sure Star Wars never really gave much of a thought towards that :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

I had those two--I always assumed there were more that I just never owned

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Angry_Ed posted:

I remember reading the first one of those books. Taught me about atmospheric re-entry principles...even though I'm pretty sure Star Wars never really gave much of a thought towards that :v:

Not until Bryce Dallas Howard homaged her dad in Mando season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6gYnJH2G0

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Jedi Apprentice books are a real blind spot for me and I'm not sure why: I definitely read the first two or three but there were a whole lot of them. I think they might have been in a different section of the library from the other stuff.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, looking up the YJK books now, I completely forgot that Raynal Thul originated in them, or that he was the son of some of the characters from the Han Solo Trilogy. Have to hand it to YJK, they really did bring in kid versions of pretty much the entire Bantam-era cast. Also have to give Denning credit for massacring most of the YJK cast in a single book.

The NJO stuff started to come out just after I was getting into reading EU material, so very quickly after I got introduced to Tahiri and Raynar and Tenel Ka and all of them I got to learn about them dying and being tortured and dismembered and stuff. Great stuff for a ten year-old!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not until Bryce Dallas Howard homaged her dad in Mando season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6gYnJH2G0
Everyone forgets Revenge of the Sith and the one time that ol' Sheev looked like he might be worried about his plan.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Also have to give Denning credit
You never have to do this...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve got to wonder if some of that wasn’t a mandate to slim down the number of Jedi going forward? I heard Marvel did some thing where they had an arc where they de powered a ton of mutants characters because they had too many.

Supposedly Lowbacca’s banishment at the end of Bug Nest Orgy was because George didn’t want Wookie Jedi anymore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've heard that but it never made sense given there was a Wookiee Jedi in Clone Wars, as well as Wookiees throughout the early 00s EU.

My guess is that Lucas was looking over some pitch that had a Wookiee Jedi, he specifically decided against that character being a Jedi, and that got extrapolated into being a blanket ban on Wookiee Jedi. I feel like a lot of the claims about "Lucas dictated that X and Y are banned" are probably things along those lines.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I finished The Rising Storm. My opinion didn't really change. 3/5 stars. Tons of action, not much else really going on yet. And 200 years before the prequels there was apparently a Force gholam that can devour people's connection to the Force, or whatever, and turn people into literal stone? That can be controlled by whoever holds the sacred thingie, not needing the Force? That's, uh, quite something. Makes Palpatine look like a bit of a wimp.

I do find it funny how they keep mentioning Yoda, but how he's off somewhere doing...something. "Is Master Yoda here?" "No, he's still on his sabbatical." "Sure would be nice if Master Yoda was here."

I like Elzar Mann's story and character, but I feel like he's the only one I've really attached to so far. Ty seems pretty great, too, but not much there yet.

Also, as mentioned, Senator Toon makes absolute sense and is right. Like, to the point where I'm confused why anyone is disagreeing with him. "We're being attacked by the Nihil, and that mean Senator Toon wants to raise up a defense force against them!" Yeah...why is that bad? The Jedi and the Chancellor seem really against this. I think we're supposed to be thinking of the Clones as the Republic Army, and why that was bad. But in the galaxy that is being presented, yeah, they totally need an army to protect themselves against the Nihil.

Pretty good books so far, but not great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Spoiler tagged my thoughts on your review for safety: Much like the greater galaxy's knowledge of the Jedi order being distorted from our POV because 95% of the stories we read and watch concern Jedi or other force users, same with the Nihil threat. Yea they're dangerous, but to most people, even those in power, they're just a slightly larger than normal pirate gang.

I completely agree with you on the overall scale and import of other threats though. I had it in my head when this series was first announced that it was set more like 500-600 years pre TPM rather than like 140 or whatever and that really seems like it'd be a better fit. There so much Big Stuff happening that apparently has completely faded from all memory, and unless there's something like a Jedi purge style disinformation campaign in the third phase of THR, it's gonna feel a bit odd that none of it comes up again in the prequels

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jivjov posted:

Spoiler tagged my thoughts on your review for safety: Much like the greater galaxy's knowledge of the Jedi order being distorted from our POV because 95% of the stories we read and watch concern Jedi or other force users, same with the Nihil threat. Yea they're dangerous, but to most people, even those in power, they're just a slightly larger than normal pirate gang.

I completely agree with you on the overall scale and import of other threats though. I had it in my head when this series was first announced that it was set more like 500-600 years pre TPM rather than like 140 or whatever and that really seems like it'd be a better fit. There so much Big Stuff happening that apparently has completely faded from all memory, and unless there's something like a Jedi purge style disinformation campaign in the third phase of THR, it's gonna feel a bit odd that none of it comes up again in the prequels

The thing that really strikes me about it is the sort of sense of "frontier settlement" of it all. The Outer Rim being brought into the Republic only around the events of the book makes the universe feel a hell of a lot newer and smaller than before somehow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arquinsiel posted:

The thing that really strikes me about it is the sort of sense of "frontier settlement" of it all. The Outer Rim being brought into the Republic only around the events of the book makes the universe feel a hell of a lot newer and smaller than before somehow.

Yeah--150 years is a long time--but just in the context of Star Wars it doesn't feel like a long enough time. Especially with characters we already know like Yoda running around being active participants

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The funniest part is you could still set it like 600 years before the movies and yet plausibly have Yoda be a master

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oppo Rancisis and Yarael Poof are both on the council at the same time too. It doesn't feel like it's the golden age of the Republic so much as a weird combination of the rapid growth era and also five minutes before The Phantom Menace.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think it's obvious that the utter disaster of the Fair is an inflection point that specifically signals the eventual demise of Soh's envisioned Republic with its Great Works and lack of Defense Force. I wouldn't be surprised if Starlight Beacon is next on the proverbial chopping block, leading to the Republic basically ceding the Outer Rim to Hutt control.

I'd also guess that whatever goes down in the next few books explains why the Jedi themselves grow into the insular and stuffy brown-robed monks we see in the PT; maybe we'll see the event that leads to Keeve leaving the Order, who knows.

Speaking of the next few books....

https://twitter.com/DisneyBooks/status/1417152256860901378?s=20

Soule is teasing something spooky which leads to believe it's probably Drengir-related

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1417667688407646208

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 21, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
One thing about the "frontier" aspects of the Outer Rim. Basically it's not that all these regions are being newly accessed, just that they're finally getting an interstate out to them. In my mind, it's the change from the classic US Route 66 to the new interstate system. You could get to those places, it's just much easier by the time of the PT era. And the Unknown Regions by the time of the ST, is still even further back in time, like early 1800s western America.

Also, Yoda being "just off screen" is him being in the comics. He's been an active character there. It seems the characters will be moving back and forth between the High Rrepublic publishing arms between phases. So the High Adventures comic characters appeared in Race to Crashpoint Tower this phase, and Avar was in the comics this phase rather than the books. I'm sure Yoda will get some book appearances coming up after mainly being in the comics so far.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 21, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Teek posted:

One thing about the "frontier" aspects of the Outer Rim. Basically it's not that all these regions are being newly accessed, just that they're finally getting an interstate out to them. In my mind, it's the change from the classic US Route 66 to the new interstate system. You could get to those places, it's just much easier by the time of the PT era. And the Unknown Regions by the time of the ST, is still even further back in time, like early 1800s western America.
I'm not sure the metaphor holds since a big deal is made about hyperspace navigation and how difficult that is. They sort of seem to imply that astromech droids aren't exactly a thing yet, despite the solution to the problem in the first book, but also that somehow travel is just more inherently dangerous in the area.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just because it’s navigable doesn’t mean there’s facilities or as much reason to go there.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Claudia Gray's doing the next adult THR novel:

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1418685991792128001?s=20

More deets from the panel here: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-panel-comic-con-at-home-2021

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
gently caress yeah! She rules. I actually really enjoyed her Into the Dark book, and Lost Stars is my absolute favorite Star Wars book, tied with Stover’s RotS.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Excellent news.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Leaks suggest that Lars Mikkelsen will be live action Thrawn. He was already the voice actor in Rebels. Mena Massoud will be the live action Ezra Bridger.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Leaks suggest that Lars Mikkelsen will be live action Thrawn. He was already the voice actor in Rebels. Mena Massoud will be the live action Ezra Bridger.

I don't know how reliable that site is, or the podcast it's sourcing, but both castings have been "rumored" for a while now, so this is both nothing new, and something I would take with a grain of salt.

Mikkelsen would be great. Massoud I have zero feelings about one way or the other.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the Massoud casting at least had been debunked a while ago. From what I remember, the original "scoop" was just someone making something up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the Massoud casting at least had been debunked a while ago. From what I remember, the original "scoop" was just someone making something up.

The original "source", I think, was him implying something on twitter. Which he then followed up with saying that he meant nothing by it, which he would, of course, do if he was in negotiations for the role or was told to shut the gently caress up about it. So it could go either way, but is far from "a thing" at this point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For what it’s worth it was on multiple sites, though they could very well just all be sourcing each other.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if this will be about Keeve Trennis leaving the Jedi, which was hinted at in the Dooku audiobook.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Chairman Capone posted:

I never read any of the Galaxy of Fear books but reading the descriptions I always felt that I would have loved them as a kid.

For similar shits and giggles I read one or two of the YJKs ten or so years back and I felt like they held up for what they were. Speaking of Kyp Durron, he appears in one of them and I remember thinking that his characterization there being pretty good for a penitent Jedi trying to make up for his past.

Also, looking up the YJK books now, I completely forgot that Raynal Thul originated in them, or that he was the son of some of the characters from the Han Solo Trilogy. Have to hand it to YJK, they really did bring in kid versions of pretty much the entire Bantam-era cast. Also have to give Denning credit for massacring most of the YJK cast in a single book.

Are you referring to Star by Star?

Every Jedi who dies as part of the strike force, except for Anakin, is introduced in NJO instead of YJK/JJK. Master Ikrit from JJK is killed by Greg Keyes the duology before Star by Star though.

Robot Style posted:

I wonder if this will be about Keeve Trennis leaving the Jedi, which was hinted at in the Dooku audiobook.

This is one of the comic characters? I've only read the two adult novels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lusa, Raynar’s horse girlfriend, is killed off-screen in Star by Star. She was introduced in The Crystal Star, and was later brought back for YJK.

Lyric, a mermaid girl from JJK, got killed off-screen in some other book.

I’m sure there are a lot more examples.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was personally very disappointed Corran Horn didn't die at the end of Dark Tide 1 fighting that Vhong like i thought he honestly should have considering he barely beat one and the other was eaten by the antlions from Half Life 2.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

This is one of the comic characters? I've only read the two adult novels.

Yes, it is. Actually, what Robot mentioned is looking increasingly likely because in this week's THR comic, it's obvious that Keeve has PTSD from mind-linking with the Drengir hive mind and the Jedi tasked with helping her is the one kind of person who might actually recommend stepping away from it all

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm quite fond of the cover for True Colors:

It's a big step up from the Hard Contact cover which is just The Fall of Reach with Clones instead of Spartans.

The Hard Contact cover is an earlier iteration of the cover for the Republic Commando video game when the commandos all had gray armor.

Also Sorch briefly appears in the latest episode of the Bad Batch.

T___A fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 1, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Finally decided to read Thrawn: Treason.

So that book sucked.

In a, “What the hell was the point of that whole endeavor?” kind of way.

Are the prequels any better? Because I thought Alliances was bad. But Treason was…yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ascendancy ones have very little baggage, I like them.