Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

LeeMajors posted:

This sport seriously lends itself to my gear slut tendencies.

I've been rapidly expanding my arsenal and gear because yeah. Also it lends itself to my DIY tendencies, because making your own rod doesn't seem THAT hard.

I've got gear for lake, surf, light/medium boat, and gonna make a tuna rod so I can handle bigger stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Getting ready to spend a week fishing with the kids in a few weeks. Looking at replacing a trashy reel I've been using for what I think is 2lb test. Maybe 4. But the reel is a spincast type reel. Not the best for line like that, I think. And the reel isnt the best build quality anyway. Drag is real inconsistent and there is about an entire rotation worth of slop in the crank. Bought it at an garage sale several years ago still "new in box" for like a quarter. Previous owner was smart to keep it that way. Looking at replacing it with a normal spinning reel.

Anyone have a recommendation on a reel that can take stupid light line like 2 or 4lb mono or fluoro. Found some "reviews" which read like like the manufacturer wrote the review, so looking for some suggestions that feel at least a little less phony.

Want real light stuff so the perch and sunfish I catch with the kids put up a fun fight and so I can cast size-0 mepps more than 10 feet.

Was using the trash reel a week or so ago, and while it worked enough to bring a few in, it kinda ruined the fun. I was spending more focus on making the reel not crumble or seize up or trying to get the line to catch so I could actually reel in.

Oh yeah, and along with the previous discussion in the thread, keeping it under a hundred bucks would be nice. Unless you make a convincing case. I am still a fisherman, after all. Or gear slut. Depends if I'm catching any fish that day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

OniPanda posted:

I've been rapidly expanding my arsenal and gear because yeah. Also it lends itself to my DIY tendencies, because making your own rod doesn't seem THAT hard.

I've got gear for lake, surf, light/medium boat, and gonna make a tuna rod so I can handle bigger stuff...

I feel seen.

Syves posted:

Getting ready to spend a week fishing with the kids in a few weeks. Looking at replacing a trashy reel I've been using for what I think is 2lb test. Maybe 4. But the reel is a spincast type reel. Not the best for line like that, I think. And the reel isnt the best build quality anyway. Drag is real inconsistent and there is about an entire rotation worth of slop in the crank. Bought it at an garage sale several years ago still "new in box" for like a quarter. Previous owner was smart to keep it that way. Looking at replacing it with a normal spinning reel.

Anyone have a recommendation on a reel that can take stupid light line like 2 or 4lb mono or fluoro. Found some "reviews" which read like like the manufacturer wrote the review, so looking for some suggestions that feel at least a little less phony.

Want real light stuff so the perch and sunfish I catch with the kids put up a fun fight and so I can cast size-0 mepps more than 10 feet.

Was using the trash reel a week or so ago, and while it worked enough to bring a few in, it kinda ruined the fun. I was spending more focus on making the reel not crumble or seize up or trying to get the line to catch so I could actually reel in.

Oh yeah, and along with the previous discussion in the thread, keeping it under a hundred bucks would be nice. Unless you make a convincing case. I am still a fisherman, after all. Or gear slut. Depends if I'm catching any fish that day.

Ultralight rods and the smallest spinning reels you can find, brand unimportant.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 17, 2021

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Go to store and play with reels until they ask me to leave, and then buy the one in my hands. Got it!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Ultralight rods and the smallest spinning reels you can find, brand unimportant.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Some of this is your fault 😘

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

My wife would murder me in my sleep considering we are probably about to refinance our house.

We just refinanced our house this summer and a new SS127 is one of the things I bought with the cash out. Gonna add a trolling motor to it soon.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Syano posted:

We just refinanced our house this summer and a new SS127 is one of the things I bought with the cash out. Gonna add a trolling motor to it soon.

We are putting more money in and shortening terms to 15 so no free expensive cash for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Truck loaded up with my kayak. Traps baited and standing by. Gonna get up loving early tomorrow to go throw em for a nice 4 hour soak. Special guest crabber going out with me tomorrow too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Strong healthy limits today. loving stoked. Switching up to my old traps was the ticket.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Crab Dad posted:

Strong healthy limits today. loving stoked. Switching up to my old traps was the ticket.

Also, lucky crabbing shirt.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Crab Dad posted:

Nice crab!

I don't much about crabbing. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by switching up to your old traps?

Also, where are you? Florida?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Nice crab!

I don't much about crabbing. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by switching up to your old traps?

Also, where are you? Florida?

That there is a red rock crab from west Puget Sound. The escape hatch was too small so li'l dink crabs would get trapped instead of scuttle on out. The only crabs we pulled yesterday were keepers; don't think we had to toss back a single undersized.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Went out looking for cutthroat in this amazing place on East coast Vancouver Island.
I found sculpin instead. I think I hooked his same one three times in a row.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

therunningman posted:

Went out looking for cutthroat in this amazing place on East coast Vancouver Island.
I found sculpin instead. I think I hooked his same one three times in a row.

The tenacity and give-no-fucks of staghorn sculpins is always amazing.

Really nice scenery too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

This is going to sound completely made up, but I drat near hooked a hawk today. I was out practicing topwater in my neighborhood pond today. Was using a little Heddon spook jr in baby bass when a hawk divebombed the fucker and started to fly off. drat near spooled me. I started yelling at it, tugged a little and he flew back a bit and dumped it out in front of me.

No fish but I guess I was doing well enough to fool a bird of prey.

A win?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Birds aren’t real.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I straight up caught a seagull as a kid. Was just casting a shad crankbait off a dock, and noticed that I had a bird's nest starting up. When I was pulling line out to fix it, my lure floated up and Mr. Seagull took it.

Actually hooked the fucker too, so I had to reel him down where a bystander accosted me for my cruelty ( :confused: ) and another got a pair of gloves and pliers to free the poor bastard.
Hook set cleanly in his bill, luckily. Took some work but good simaritan got it out and the gull flew off seemingly no worse for the wear.

Still have that lure 20+ years on, and caught a bunch of smallies trolling with it this year.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

LeeMajors posted:

This is going to sound completely made up, but I drat near hooked a hawk today. I was out practicing topwater in my neighborhood pond today. Was using a little Heddon spook jr in baby bass when a hawk divebombed the fucker and started to fly off. drat near spooled me. I started yelling at it, tugged a little and he flew back a bit and dumped it out in front of me.

No fish but I guess I was doing well enough to fool a bird of prey.

A win?

I once had a full size pelican dive into the water after my spoon and get himself tangled in the braid. I had to call the wildlife folks on that one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve caught a pelican and we wrastled the hook out of his pouch. loving sucked but he dove for our fish and nothing could stop it. He flew off fine if not angry. Also caught a gull but that ended badly. I was fishing off a cliff in Santa Cruz but took a nap/break and the drat gull grabbed my baited hook and took off dragging my pole into the water. It carried him into the water and the surf and he got dragged under.
A swift or something similar hit my line while fishing in the river and he got tangled for a hot second before flying off.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The birds where i live must be stupid. I cant remember how many gulls have flown into my lines and got tangled. Sometimes they're over the water but mostly they're over the sand. I just wrap them in a towel and go to work untangling them. They get pretty docile when they're bundled up like a burrito.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Catching birds is pretty common out here. Sucks when the diving birds eat your sardine and you think you've got a fish on.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have this recurring dream where I catch a Muskrat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Browsing YouTube fishing videos and I have to ask: what is twitching jig and why are people yelling at some of these guys from the opposite bank?

is it snagging? it’s snagging isn’t it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Man, those birds. Worst I ever had up here is a water snake grabbing my fish and not wanting to let go, a fisher following me around waiting for me to drop something to grab, and beavers scaring the poo poo out of me with the tail slap. Thankfully the blue herons are smart because they are also a big-rear end fine for disturbing them.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

Browsing YouTube fishing videos and I have to ask: what is twitching jig and why are people yelling at some of these guys from the opposite bank?

is it snagging? it’s snagging isn’t it.

Not technically, but it may as well be. I just looked at an article about it from Salmon Trout Steelheader, and one of the paragraphs begins with "Foul hooking fish was part of the game." gently caress that poo poo and gently caress people who do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Only time snagging is ok is with sustenance fishing on critters that have no min/max size.

You hear about it on tournament bass fishermen snagging fish guarding spawn beds. Super shady.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Only time snagging is ok is with sustenance fishing on critters that have no min/max size.

You hear about it on tournament bass fishermen snagging fish guarding spawn beds. Super shady.

AKA the Mike Long technique.

https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long

https://sdfish.com/general/mike-long-big-bass-snagger-exposed-on-video/

joem83 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 23, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wife finally gave the the go-ahead for a MOTHERFUCKING BOAT.

Here's where we're at:

- My fishing activities consist entirely of working midwestern man-made lakes for bass/crappie/walleye, and a few times a year heading to hunt trout in southern MO/NW Arkansas with both fly and spin.
- Wife wants something that can hold our family (2+3) plus two friends, so up to 4 adults/3 kids, and is quick/powerful enough to pull a tube or some poo poo kids would like. Swimming platform good, at least a ladder probably necessary.
- My boating experience is pretty minimal, mostly just renting stuff on lake trips or driving a buddy's boat around trying not to break anything. Never owned one nor maintained one.
- Ideally, storing in my garage, which is about 30x18x10. Can get a storage unit if we need to.
- I'd like to keep it under $15k all-in, but I can go up to probably $30k if there's a REALLY REALLY good reason to.

Lots of farting around on the internet has pretty much landed me on fiberglass hull fish and ski models in the 18-20 foot range, probably with a min 150hp outboard. There's several options around here that'll come in under budget and even leave me some room leftover for a fancy fish hunting sonar or trolling motor setup.

So, here's some questions:

- Is there another style of boat I should be looking at? The wife loves bowriders and deck boats but they seem poor for fishing and inboard motors don't thrill me. I drew a line in the sand on a pontoon.

- As for maker: my very tentative list of "good boat makers" who build or used to build this style currently sits at: Triton, Pro Craft, Stratos, Viper, Nitro, Ranger, Champion, Lund/Lowe/Crestliner/Alumacraft (if I can find the right config in a metal hull), and Skeeter. Makers to avoid are Tahoe, Baycraft, and Tracker. Is this in the ballpark? Anything I should change or add? (note: these are just the most common makers that come up in the listings around here, which is pretty much how I derived my analysis)

- Is my budget realistic for finding a reliable used boat that meets our requirements?

- Is it worth the money to get a new FISHSONAR and or trolling motor once I find the right boat? A buddy of mine has a state of the art setup on a new-ish bass boat and it is pretty amazing, but I don't really know how the cost-to-utility ratio pans out. I don't have an issue dropping a few grand on a cool setup, but if the aging fishfinder I inevitably get with the boat will work just fine I obviously won't bother.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 23, 2021

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Maybe I’m wrong here but most features that I’d be looking for in a fishing boat or ski platform make them pretty terrible for the other. Fishing I’d want something low draft and maneuverable that doesn’t kick up a big wake with lots of flat areas to walk around on. For tubing and skiing I’d be looking at something with more seats and a deeper draft to make a fun wake and probably inboard motor. Not saying you can’t do both but you’re gonna sacrifice on both fronts trying to do it all. If you can swing it storage and price wise I think having a real fishing boat and a real ski boat would be the best way to go.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bumble Dong posted:

Maybe I’m wrong here but most features that I’d be looking for in a fishing boat or ski platform make them pretty terrible for the other. Fishing I’d want something low draft and maneuverable that doesn’t kick up a big wake with lots of flat areas to walk around on. For tubing and skiing I’d be looking at something with more seats and a deeper draft to make a fun wake and probably inboard motor. Not saying you can’t do both but you’re gonna sacrifice on both fronts trying to do it all. If you can swing it storage and price wise I think having a real fishing boat and a real ski boat would be the best way to go.

I agree in general, but the two boat solution is probably isn't an option with the wife and I think there are some quality options out there if I hunt down something specific.

here's a couple relatively local boats for sale:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/349491723306378/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/349491723306378/

both of these seem priced a bit high but they're in the ballpark for what I'm hunting.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

There's a boat thread in A/I. Might be some crossover or wise individuals there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
good idea, thanks...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

if you're taking your family out at all, don't get a bass boat hull. I'd go with a deep v, they're good in most situations and very stable. they can still get up and run too.

you can make any fishing boat tow a skier, just a bit more rigging work.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I didn't find any redfish back in my hidey-hole here today, but I caught a few speckled trout, one of which was around 24" on topwater. She was really weak when I landed her because the water surface temp is north of 90 degrees F and trout aren't well suited to low oxygen environments, so I didn't take a photo.

I never tire of that scenery though.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Farking Bastage posted:

I didn't find any redfish back in my hidey-hole here today, but I caught a few speckled trout, one of which was around 24" on topwater. She was really weak when I landed her because the water surface temp is north of 90 degrees F and trout aren't well suited to low oxygen environments, so I didn't take a photo.

I never tire of that scenery though.

Real nice, friend. Wish I was there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So, while the bite hasn't been furious I've somehow managed to pull up a few big boys the past couple times out. I'm 6'3, for an idea of leg scale here.

These little motor oil Berkley powerbait worms are, uh, quite popular apparently.

Last fella was quite a fighter.

don't worry all, they were all unhooked in the water and lifted only briefly for snaps

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

So, while the bite hasn't been furious I've somehow managed to pull up a few big boys the past couple times out. I'm 6'3, for an idea of leg scale here.

These little motor oil Berkley powerbait worms are, uh, quite popular apparently.

Last fella was quite a fighter.

don't worry all, they were all unhooked in the water and lifted only briefly for snaps
Nice fish!

Get a 5-wt fly rod and some popping bugs and go do it again. Trust me on this.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Nice fish!

Get a 5-wt fly rod and some popping bugs and go do it again. Trust me on this.

I’ve never done any fly fishing but it sounds hella fun. May have to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve never done any fly fishing but it sounds hella fun. May have to make that happen.
Do it! It's the most fun you can have with your pants on. (pants optional)