Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

IIRC the sequence of events that ends the siege of Mordor is that after Anarion gets his head crushed under the walls of the dark tower Elendil issues a challenge of personal combat to the Lord of the rings, he accepts, they go with Gilgalad to mt doom accompanied by elrond & isildur carrying their standards, Gilgalad and Elendil tag team Sauron, presumably Gil impales him with his spear while El hacks about with narsil - they mortally wound him but he manages to shove Elendil off a cliff and burns Gilgalad to death before passing out, which allows Isildur to approach and cut off the ring AND THEN he bails on his body but not necessarily because of the ring, probably it's his best option to fly away and patiently reform rather than risk being taken by the elves to be tossed thru the doors of night

i don't think that the elves could have done that without the valar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

There's presumably regular voyages from the Grey Havens even in that era, so they could haul him to Eldamar at least.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Only thread I’d say this but “hale to valinor” would be more correct

Not haul

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's interesting from a thematic perspective that the defining moment of that conflict is the resolution of the battle by it's survivors, not the heroic martial acts of the combatants.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

euphronius posted:

Only thread I’d say this but “hale to valinor” would be more correct

Not haul

I dunno, I'd interpret "hale" as meaning he has some volition at that point, and since he didn't have enough volition to stop a looter yoinking his jewellery I'm seeing him as dead weight.

Though I may be conflating it with the "healthy" meaning.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well poo poo, a new English thing to know

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

It does seem implied that even though he got “overthrown” by Gilgalad and Elendil, he could have gotten better if Isildur hadn’t chopped his finger.

Is a fair bit different from just getting a lucky slice in on Sauron's finger and vanquishing him that way like the movies implied.

I get why they did it though because doing it like that let them quickly move on to the main story rather than have to do some big fight set piece.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

To be honest I like the movie's portrayal. I like the idea of it being this last desperate stroke that severs the ring from his hand, since it ties in with the eucatastrophe of gollums fall to me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

There's presumably regular voyages from the Grey Havens even in that era, so they could haul him to Eldamar at least.

true

CommonShore posted:

It's interesting from a thematic perspective that the defining moment of that conflict is the resolution of the battle by it's survivors, not the heroic martial acts of the combatants.

Ginette Reno posted:

Is a fair bit different from just getting a lucky slice in on Sauron's finger and vanquishing him that way like the movies implied.

I get why they did it though because doing it like that let them quickly move on to the main story rather than have to do some big fight set piece.

it could have made for a nice action scene, so it was kinda strange that jackson didn't include it. but the main benefit from it was that it made isildur's role bigger, and the viewers didn't have to remember two extra characters who would only have showed in one scene

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Apparently this is Gil-Galad and Elendil?

I have literally no memory of Jackson's Gil-Galad and only the most basic of Elendil (i.e. that he was onscreen a moment). That they're so foggy and hazy helps to set them up as figures of a distant past. The only thing that we get in any focus at all is Elrond's direct experience, which is apt I suppose because I think he's the one who narrates these scenes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CommonShore posted:

Apparently this is Gil-Galad and Elendil?

I have literally no memory of Jackson's Gil-Galad and only the most basic of Elendil (i.e. that he was onscreen a moment). That they're so foggy and hazy helps to set them up as figures of a distant past. The only thing that we get in any focus at all is Elrond's direct experience, which is apt I suppose because I think he's the one who narrates these scenes.

In the prologue it's Galadriel, in Rivendell it's Elrond.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Actually Galadriel wasn't actually there, her account is probably based on what she saw in her mirror, which means the prologue is probably unreliable in some ways.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm probably due to rewatch the movies but I don't watch many movies anymore they'll have to get in line behind the next coming film in the extended Tolkein corpus this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6ksY8xWCY

Editing counts!

which is the only movie I've been excited for in loving years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I have no memory of this face"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the released editions of the film, Gil Galad is seen for about two seconds of shaky close up planting his spear in an Orc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj139dE7tFI

At around 2:33

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 18, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She would not have been using the mirror at that time . Assuming the mirror is partially ring powered. It’s the movie anyway

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

euphronius posted:

She would not have been using the mirror at that time . Assuming the mirror is partially ring powered. It’s the movie anyway

She's talking from the present, so she absolutely could have been using the mirror at that point.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ChubbyChecker posted:

How sure of that would Sauron be though? He underestimated the severity of their response to numenor after all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Elrond was there, Gandalf. He was there three thousand years ago and he was telepathically skyping me the whole time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blood Boils posted:

How sure of that would Sauron be though? He underestimated the severity of their response to numenor after all.
Sauron's gotten an rear end kicking before, and when one of these guys gets an rear end kicking they seem to be changed by it, and with the exception of Gandalf getting recommissioned as Gandalf the White, this is usually in the form of their weakening. This is why Morgoth went from being the greatest of the Valar to a limpy boy before they threw him into the void to wait for Iluvatar.

Sauron probably estimated correctly that he could lay low for a while and may have even thought something along the lines of 'if this Isildur guy is taking my Ring, then I can just slide in at Gondor, either he will have become a wraith or I will be able to tempt his heirs.' Or he might have just been insensate from his rear end-kicking completely.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

As for why the film didn’t show Elendil and Gil Galad beating Sauron, I think it comes down to two things:

1) like some people have already said, that intro throws a lot of information at the viewer already. Adding two characters (or one and a half, since Elendil is there he’s just not the focus) adds a bunch of information that is frankly extraneous to the film’s narrative, and more importantly
2) in the directors’ commentary they are constantly talking about how difficult it was to portray Sauron as a serious threat, particularly in the first film. If the film opened with Sauron getting beaten by two randos (in the general audience’s eyes), the viewer would think the free peoples could beat Sauron in open combat even if he got the ring back. That’s why they portrayed Isildur’s victory as kind of a fluke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's a lot of weird poo poo that goes into trying to adapt something for a new medium like screen. It's super easy to forget

It's also super easy for the ones doing it to get it wrong, or anticipate the wrong things being issues, and screwing up the whole premise because they thought something like "we have to hook the audience with a hilarious joke about the dolphins singing so long and thanks for all the fish as a full-scale broadway number over credits"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Data Graham posted:

"we have to hook the audience with a hilarious joke about the dolphins singing so long and thanks for all the fish as a full-scale broadway number over credits"

Jesus, thanks for reminding me of that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

The ring is fully sentient and sapient, with full powers of logic and reason. The only reason that it stayed under the misty mountains for so long is that it was out of gas.

it has opinions

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shibawanko posted:

it has opinions

It felt it shouldn't be the one that had to make the effort when Sauron was the one with arms and legs and armies. Sheesh.

Dear Prudence, my wearer seems to think I'm the one who should do all the work in this relationship. I've been waiting in the roots of the mountains for a thousand years and he still hasn't shown up; should I make an effort to get back together?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Data Graham posted:

There's a lot of weird poo poo that goes into trying to adapt something for a new medium like screen. It's super easy to forget

It's also super easy for the ones doing it to get it wrong, or anticipate the wrong things being issues, and screwing up the whole premise because they thought something like "we have to hook the audience with a hilarious joke about the dolphins singing so long and thanks for all the fish as a full-scale broadway number over credits"

lol, that was the exact moment that I decided I was really going to love that movie, I thought it was fantastic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

YaketySass posted:

With the benefit of hindsight leaving Isildur to die for the sake of spending the next centuries buried in mud wasn't the best way of finding a useful bearer.

What if there's just a whole bunch of supposedly lost stuff in the mud of the Gladden Fields? Maybe even a silmaril down there.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if there's just a whole bunch of supposedly lost stuff in the mud of the Gladden Fields? Maybe even a silmaril down there.

The Elendilmir was there, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the Prancing Pony has accommodations for Hobbits and Dwarves, but I'm having difficulty finding much info about Hobbits actually living in Bree itself. Does Butterbur only keep those rooms for occasional travelers from Buckland?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Prancing Pony has accommodations for Hobbits and Dwarves, but I'm having difficulty finding much info about Hobbits actually living in Bree itself. Does Butterbur only keep those rooms for occasional travelers from Buckland?

No, there’s Bree hobbits. Frodo meets a bunch of the them in the common room where they are all innocently but inconveniently inquisitive, because they don’t get many travelers and are excited/worried about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skasion posted:

No, there’s Bree hobbits. Frodo meets a bunch of the them in the common room where they are all innocently but inconveniently inquisitive, because they don’t get many travelers and are excited/worried about it.

Oh I forgot about them. I just remember him making an rear end of himself and singing The Man In The Moon Stayed Up Too Late. So if Buckland is considered a colony by Shire standards, what would that make Bree hobbits? Strange outsiders and queer folk from the Big World?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I forgot about them. I just remember him making an rear end of himself and singing The Man In The Moon Stayed Up Too Late. So if Buckland is considered a colony by Shire standards, what would that make Bree hobbits? Strange outsiders and queer folk from the Big World?

Sort of, but the Bree hobbits are very closely related to the Shire hobbits. In general they are treated less suspiciously than other outsiders, but moreso than most Shire hobbits or Bucklanders. Hell, most Hobbiton folks see Bucklanders as outsiders of a sort. That being said a Bree hobbit would likely get a fairly warm welcome in the Shire so long as they had some easily discernable business there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

skasion posted:

The fake name Underhill also gets them in hot water because there actually are Underhills in Bree and frodo has to play himself off as a long lost cousin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some of the staff in the PP were hobbits

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They also mention that until recently it was pretty common for hobbits on the edge of the Shire to travel out to Bree for the day, leading to "Strange as news from Bree" being a Shire expression.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The fake name Underhill also gets them in hot water because there actually are Underhills in Bree and frodo has to play himself off as a long lost cousin.

Ahh yes, the old "I'M from North Kilt Town" maneouvere

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look even Homer knew that there was no one in North Kilt-Town named Angus McLeod.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hello, after reading the Iliad I'm in the mood for some other epics, and I'm looking at Beowulf.

Is tolkien's version with commentary a good book to get? https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Christopher-Tolkien/dp/0544442784/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I imagine it's not a good first read of the poem, but I understand Tolkien was an excelent scholar, so his commentary may be worth it.

And for a first read, which translation would you recommend? Amazon links appreciated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Seamus Heaney does a good job of communicating the original sound and feel of the poem if you read it in the original.

Tolkiens commentary is great but from what I remember assumes you're reading in the original.

It is possible to learn to read the original with a few dedicated weeks of work, it isn't as far off modern English as it first appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish I hadn't sold my Eng. Lit textbooks. They had a really good translation with some decent undergrad-level notes.