Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wow, Risk of Rain 2 VR really is incredible. Highly highly highly recommend. It's so cool to play a game in VR that feels this fleshed out and 'complete'

anyone have any tips though? I've made it to biome 3 but keep dying to the boss there. I did turn off the dual wield on the default character so i do do all my regular fire damage with one gun, think that should make it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

add this "always sprint" mod

besides that mod it to your tastes. Play as Vegeta or Trunks if you want

and general gameplay tips: always be circle strafing and always be jumping. Double jump hopoo feathers are game changers for a run.

Hit the teleporters asap. When you get used to the maps you can look around more in less time so leave the exploration for later runs.

Try all of the characters. Work towards unlocking items and other characters

Bandit is the best (most fun) in VR imo.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 20, 2021

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that always sprint will help a ton. Though it will make the stupid shield graphic on the buckler even more distracting and annoying. Is there a way to turn that off?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Hail satan :devil:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Blade Runner posted:

I've decided to get rid of my Pimax and go back to my Index because of the weird focal length and the comfort factor. It kinda sucks, since it really does make things look way better to have the FOV and the crazy resolution, but it's annoying to adjust and get it right, and the focal length makes you feel like you're looking at a screen close to your face. The Index, in spite of the FOV, just feels vastly more immersive. Oh well.

Out of curiosity, what model Pimax was it? I found the focal length on the 5K and the 5K OLED to both be fine, but when I tried an 8KX from Amazon the focal length was horrifically close and I had to return it.

For comfort, I've been using a Vive Deluxe Strap which is nice, but the 8KX had a ratcheting rear cradle with a huge forehead foam and it was even better than that. If it wasn't for the 8KX's focal length and the nerfed refresh of 75hz when at 4K per eye, it would have been the ultimate headset for sure.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The Walrus posted:

Oh that always sprint will help a ton. Though it will make the stupid shield graphic on the buckler even more distracting and annoying. Is there a way to turn that off?

Even though that's a good item I'll always just use the 3d printer to destroy items like that.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh hell yeah i came back at the right time to ask a question.

:rock:

So I'm a chubby bastard and I primarily use Pistol Whip (and some Beat Saber) for exercise, to get SOME activity. As of now, I'm considently pulling B-rank on Easy with no modifiers . I'm playing some levels repeatedly and just getting B rankings (with the occasional C for first time).

My question is: when should I move up to Normal?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
personally, if you're already playing on Easy, I'd switch to deadeye and try to learn your way up through the difficulty that way before you learn too many bad habits. It's very tough but a much better workout and much more fun imo.

also a fun IRL modifier for exercise is what I call 'planted mode' - try to play the game with your feet staying in the exact same spot. Loooots of squats. It really takes a toll quick.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Out of curiosity, what model Pimax was it? I found the focal length on the 5K and the 5K OLED to both be fine, but when I tried an 8KX from Amazon the focal length was horrifically close and I had to return it.

For comfort, I've been using a Vive Deluxe Strap which is nice, but the 8KX had a ratcheting rear cradle with a huge forehead foam and it was even better than that. If it wasn't for the 8KX's focal length and the nerfed refresh of 75hz when at 4K per eye, it would have been the ultimate headset for sure.

Yeah, it was the 8KX. You can get 90 Hz in 4k per eye with a 3090, but eh. The foam was also good, but it wears out really quick. After a few hard sessions in thrill of the fight, it soaked up enough sweat as to be basically useless. It was also difficult to get it into a good position, and prescription adapters basically just don't exist for it.

Also, it's really hard to describe how much I actually care about the little things after going back to them; like, the controllers turn off automatically when you leave Steam VR on the Index, and you can just click the game button and start.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Morter posted:

So I'm a chubby bastard and I primarily use Pistol Whip (and some Beat Saber) for exercise, to get SOME activity. As of now, I'm considently pulling B-rank on Easy with no modifiers . I'm playing some levels repeatedly and just getting B rankings (with the occasional C for first time).

My question is: when should I move up to Normal?

Can you complete Normal with any regularity? If so then why not bump it up.

I'm more of a Beat Saber player than Pistol Whip, but generally I played every track on Normal, then cleared through everything on Hard, then worked through almost everything on Expert (except one or two songs that I just can't get) before giving Expert+ an attempt

PS, gently caress Expert+ :colbert:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EbolaIvory posted:

Since people can FINALLY play some of this god drat game. Its so good. Ive been playing the thing over the 3 or so years hes been making it and jesus its so good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1365940/Eye_of_the_Temple_First_Steps/

Wishlist, etc. It'll come out eventually. Hes kind of a perfectionist lol.

Indiana Jones VR puzzle game.
Yep.

I'm shocked they actually released something, I remember seeing that eons ago as an interesting little concept, but then it seemed to disappear and be forgotten like so many indie projects.

Turin Turambar posted:

In sales news, A Township Tale, which launched a few days ago, is beating the all powerful Beat Saber on Quest.

good for them, it always seemed to be pretty ignored or forgotten about on PC, its nice to see it getting some bigger play.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Can you complete Normal with any regularity? If so then why not bump it up.

I haven't played Normal yet :sweatdrop:

I've only played for a few days. I've just been playing Easy, getting C-rankings, but soon consistently getting B rankings.

I was wondering i I should get A-rankings or, like a previous poster said, I should learn deadeye first, etc etc. I'm not exactly shooting for record breaking scores, I just want to play this sort of right, at least!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm having a tough time imagining how Deadeye makes the game a better workout? It seems good for working on precise movements, which is a goal in and of itself, but if you're aiming (:haw:) to get your heart rate up then hitting that difficulty slider sounds the much more effective choice I would imagine.

Like, in Beat Saber having more cubes flying faster is a way harder work out than if I just try to maximize points-per-cube by working on my slicing accuracy... Ergo flailing from left to right back to the left and back to the right to shoot 4 guys sounds way better then precisely shooting the one guy on the left then precisely shooting the one guy on the right.

Give them both a shot and make your own judgement IMO. Maybe Easy Deadeye will be more fun for you than simply just Normal with Assist.

"Playing Right" sounds like a made up rear end term 🤨 Are you having fun? Then you're playing it right

Edit: Oh right, I hadn't considered missing shots due to Deadeye = more dodging of incoming bullets required. Yea I guess actually I can see that being a big workout modifier -- but I still standby just figuring out which is more fun you :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 20, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Fair point. Thanks! :buddy::respek::🤨

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.oculus.com/blog/lone-echo-ii-launch-date-and-price-revealed-plus-discount-for-lone-echo/

Lone Echo 2 finally has a release date, August 24th

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1368187813209608/

And going along with this announcement, Lone Echo (the first game) is on sale for $10, this is a steal and you should absolutely get it. It works with Revive and it's one of the best single player games.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 20, 2021

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Pistol Whip took a little time to get used to, but I found it to be fun completing the levels on Hard with normal settings, then started doing things like randomize to make it harder to know how many shots an enemy will take.

Also, have you done the story mode yet?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lemming posted:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/lone-echo-ii-launch-date-and-price-revealed-plus-discount-for-lone-echo/

And going along with this announcement, Lone Echo (the first game) is on same for $10, this is a steal and you should absolutely get it. It works with Revive and it's one of the best single player games.

Thanks for this, a friend of mine was singing the praises of this one the other day. Seems like a good time to pick it up.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sab669 posted:

"Playing Right" sounds like a made up rear end term 🤨 Are you having fun? Then you're playing it right

the term evokes the outrage some people felt when Mark Rosset got a gold medal for playing a different kind of tennis than was "right" and that makes me laugh.

I just wanted to call out that repetitive stress injuries are a real thing and careless use of exercise of any kind can be problematic, and I think VR can exacerbate this because depending on the game you may be doing very specific and somewhat "artificial" actions over and over, along with button press and the wrist implications there. HMD weight needs to be considered, too, it's not nearly as bad as a motorcycle helmet but you're also much more unstable and prone to rapid movement than you are on a motorcycle.

I'd say "if you're having fun and having a neutral to positive impact on your muscles and ligaments, then you're playing it right". I'm hypermobile and maybe think about this stuff more than the average person, but my observation is that lots of "average people" I know actually live with some amount of pain related to their postures and behaviors, and aren't very tuned into it unless it gets severe. It's better to stop that stuff from happening.

I do like 3 mins of yoga stretches with one of my kids in the morning; I bet if I did that like 5x a day I'd be in overall better shape.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

And going along with this announcement, Lone Echo (the first game) is on same for $10, this is a steal and you should absolutely get it. It works with Revive and it's one of the best single player games.

To make it clearer to people who didn't click on the links, Lone Echo 1 has a 75% off sale, which is the historical low.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also to all Thrill of the Fight players, don't do what I did and try to do a "quick session" by absolutely wailing with your right hook to try and get an early TKO. My loving neck and shoulders have been killing me for a week.

It really sucks :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm shocked they actually released something, I remember seeing that eons ago as an interesting little concept, but then it seemed to disappear and be forgotten like so many indie projects.

good for them, it always seemed to be pretty ignored or forgotten about on PC, its nice to see it getting some bigger play.

Its because the developer is anal af. I swear he is a perfectionist.

I've had a "retail key" or whatever for 3+ years or something. He could have released this as EA years ago, made a fortune, and not a single person would have complained.

Hes added so much content, and graphical upgrades, that its almost a new game at this point. Its wild. Highly highly recommend. Then review the hell out of it and be like "RELEASE THE FULL GAME ALREADY YOU TWAT"

XD

The Walrus posted:

personally, if you're already playing on Easy, I'd switch to deadeye and try to learn your way up through the difficulty that way before you learn too many bad habits. It's very tough but a much better workout and much more fun imo.

also a fun IRL modifier for exercise is what I call 'planted mode' - try to play the game with your feet staying in the exact same spot. Loooots of squats. It really takes a toll quick.

Disagree here. I'd keep it on and keep moving up difficulties. I hate deadeye. I'm not playing PW to be a marksman, I'm playing it to shoot dudes to music. I'll take a little help sometimes.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
My Township Tale rant.
TLDR: I feel deceived and ripped off.

I do not recommend this game on the Oculus store.

I think the private server thing is an absolute piss-take. You're meant to find some random dude hosting a private server and then just hope that the server stays active, just hope that people are nice, just hope you don't need to move and start over again for any number of reasons. And then you can only view 4 servers at a time, or at least in my experience (the turnstile wouldn't populate past 4). And while I was looking at them, wondering which one to pick, the list randomly updated them all (outside of the 30s countdown) so I lost what I was looking at. I cannot view servers I previously viewed. Ie: truther's server will appear once and never again.

They tell you to go to discord to find a server except this won't apply if you're outside of the American realm, like in my case (New Zealand), as no one bothers to list which realm it's on - not that you have any control or visibility of that. Nevermind the fact you can't even get invited using an Oculus system? It seems more designed for PCVR players so why direct Oculus users to the discord (I loathe game which use external sites/apps in place of proper matchmaking or server browsing)...

... which brings me to the difference between the Oculus release and the PCVR version.
The PCVR version is free. The graphics are significantly better. There is more content. Larger servers. More people.
Turns out the Oculus "release" is actually a beta release. The store does not mention this at all. I only noticed when the version number was 0.0.2, or something close to that, after I logged in.

Then the Oculus server cap is 8, not that I've seen any server with more than 6. 8 people is a piss-poor amount when you consider this is meant to be a bustling township. And because of this, it relies on each of the 8 players to focus on a different class... imagine finding out there are three blacksmiths and no chefs, limiting what you have access to.
I get that it's a MMO-lite but 6/8 people? They're being pretty drat generous using MMO to describe the game.

It's also absolutely terrible at explaining mechanics. One example is going to your township and entering the empty shops with inventory spaces on the walls. Who's that for? Can anyone deposit? Can anyone withdraw? Am I meant to just stand behind the counter? Why? Am I seriously meant to wait for 1 of 7 people to care that I'm selling stuff? How long should I wait? What if no one wants to buy anything? Work it all out yourself, because the game doesn't tell you jack poo poo.

Oh and there's every chance you'll join a server to learn much later that people are already well past the early loop of the game and you won't find anyone to help you collect and craft stuff. Have fun collecting 200 wood by yourself...

truther fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 20, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Morter posted:

Fair point. Thanks! :buddy::respek::🤨

Echoing what some other posters have said, if you're having fun, who cares?

Plus, if you bump it up a difficulty and you get murdered, at least you tried. There's nothing stopping you from going back down. And maybe later you'll get there, so what does it matter? Though some of my most fun moments in beatsaber have been when I cue up a difficulty that I've not tried in a long time because it wrecked me and just annihilating it on revisit. Also if you never challenge yourself, you won't grow!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My Quest 2 now asks me to set a boundary every time that I start using it. Earlier today, I used it and it asked me to create a boundary. 3 hours later, I go to use it again and it asks for the boundary again even though I was in the exact same spot.

Any idea on what I can do?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I tried township tale, it was unplayable, tutorial completely broken, nothing worked, couldn't pick stuff up, couldn't stick two things together, couldn't activate the tutorial shrines.

What's oculus' refund policy and when will this just be on steam?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Elendil004 posted:

I tried township tale, it was unplayable, tutorial completely broken, nothing worked, couldn't pick stuff up, couldn't stick two things together, couldn't activate the tutorial shrines.

less than 2 hours play/less than 2 weeks, same as steam

also it's already on steam, and better and free

edit: just checked and I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is available on PCVR according to things I've read :shrug:

I looked at townshiptale.com and it really pushes you to the Oculus store but maybe if you go through creating an account you can access the PCVR version there

TIP fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 21, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My Quest 2 now asks me to set a boundary every time that I start using it. Earlier today, I used it and it asked me to create a boundary. 3 hours later, I go to use it again and it asks for the boundary again even though I was in the exact same spot.

In my experience? That's normal. I just sit down in an office chair and spend 15 seconds spinning around to draw the guardian. The main downside is I normally play seated, so after the guardian is redrawn I have to turn on the experimental "treat it like I am standing" option

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Turin Turambar posted:

To make it clearer to people who didn't click on the links, Lone Echo 1 has a 75% off sale, which is the historical low.

I've been wanting to pick Lone Echo up forever and I've been waiting for any sort of sale.

75% is absolutely bonkers though. Instant purchase at that price for me.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Oculus will refund if you played less than 2 hours. If you're one minute over they'll say screw you. I tried to refund Star Trek Bridge Crew after 2.5 hours because it's a buggy mess and they refused.

You can play ATT for free on PC. Download the Alta Launcher https://townshiptale.com/download, create an account, click play on the launcher through virtual desktop to start it. The discord can help you find a server to play on since you can't create your own without becoming a supporter (for the same cost as the quest version). I doubt they'll make a steam version and if they do it'll probably just launch their lovely launcher.

Sucks that the tutorial was broken for you. I remember I was really confused about the tutorial at first because it was talking about "docks" and I didn't realize there were spots on my belt to hold items which is what they meant.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Mine has been doing this since I reset it a week ago. If I walk out of the guardian it disappears too.

Swear I’m just making it a monthly routine to reset this thing and there’s a different bug every time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lone echo for $9.99? I’ll see what the fuss is about at that price

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Since I've had it, the Quest 2 has been a brilliant combination of frustration and astonishment. It has some of the coolest cable-less VR experiences that I imagine you can get vs. current headsets, but it is so loving fiddly. One update will break a key component of the whole system, but when that component works it just fuckin WORKS. I had a couple solid months of little-to-no issues, then delved into VR desktop/AirLink, which worked for another month but now it's super fiddly.

I feel like it's the best intro headset for its pricepoint, but if you're willing to buy a gaming PC just to try out all the options available in the VR shops, I can't see why I shouldn't have saved up another good deal of cash for a headset that has all of the extra poo poo figured out more than the Oculus does. The Quest 2 can't even figure out how to connect to my router 70% of the time now :(

That being said, I also don't want to give valve 1000 dollars, nor do I want to turn around and give facebook however much for a rift when they can't even get their entry level poo poo to work with a computer via WiFi. I have to buy a PCI-E card to even have Link work with the recommended powerline USBC-A cable, and I won't spend 80 bucks on the Oculus cable.

This is absolutely the fool's hobby for somebody that wants to just play Myst in VR, but god loving dammit I am that fool and I love this stupid hobby

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Me too, thanks for the heads up

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Played the first few hours and holy poo poo its worth the 40$ price point, but $10 is a god damned steal. I am loving being a sassy robot in space to the british lady.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

thecluckmeme posted:

I feel like it's the best intro headset for its pricepoint, but if you're willing to buy a gaming PC just to try out all the options available in the VR shops, I can't see why I shouldn't have saved up another good deal of cash for a headset that has all of the extra poo poo figured out more than the Oculus does. The Quest 2 can't even figure out how to connect to my router 70% of the time now :(

you'd be in for a world of disappointment if you bought an index and expected it to be less fiddly

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tip posted:

you'd be in for a world of disappointment if you bought an index and expected it to be less fiddly

True, but I can make fiddly work. I can't make unplayable disconnects from my router work

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

thecluckmeme posted:

True, but I can make fiddly work. I can't make unplayable disconnects from my router work

you could do the same thing you'd be doing on the index (use a cable)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tip posted:

you could do the same thing you'd be doing on the index (use a cable)

I could, it's just baffling to me how I could have something work so well for a length of time and then they rewrote the Wheel of Network Drivers to break connection to my router

I also tend to spin in my chair a lot in frustration when I can't solve a thing. I'm probably going to solve this issue anyway with a new USB card but I'm still going to complain anyway because I was loving the AirLink for a bit there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have you tried virtual desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have you tried virtual desktop?

Have you tried Satan?