Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Beach Bum posted:

I miss the textured oil filters Purolator used to make. I just had to put on a leather glove and I could remove them by hand (if I hadn't BDA'd the fucker on at installation, that is).

The yellow ones? Those were great. Then they replaced them with a nice high gloss metallic blue. Gee, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I don't remember Puro ones, but I do remember Fram ones like that.

But gently caress fram and their lovely filters.

Keep seeing the Fram hate flowing here and feel compelled to point out that the dedicated lunatics over at the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums swear by the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters (XG series). All other Fram filters are complete junk, but apparently the XG is one of the top tier filters on the market. I've used them for years and had no issues, backed by intermittent Blackstone Labs oil analysis results.

Yes, they cost a bit but with oil changes regularly stretching past 7500 miles I don't mind spending a few extra bucks.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
And Walmart Supertechs are actually pretty well made, especially for the price point which is Fram level or less.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

skybolt_1 posted:

Keep seeing the Fram hate flowing here and feel compelled to point out that the dedicated lunatics over at the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums swear by the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters (XG series). All other Fram filters are complete junk, but apparently the XG is one of the top tier filters on the market. I've used them for years and had no issues, backed by intermittent Blackstone Labs oil analysis results.

Yes, they cost a bit but with oil changes regularly stretching past 7500 miles I don't mind spending a few extra bucks.
There are exceptions to every rule for sure, but in general, their filters are cheaply made and priced as such.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

skybolt_1 posted:

Yeah, I bought a bunch of the XGs from the US with a RockAuto parts order for my 300C. Found them to be good filters, and about a 1/3rd the price of the equivalent Ryco synthetic media filters available here in Australia, even with cost of shipping.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cursedshitbox posted:

You found the guy that torques oil filters on at 3 Hulk grunts.

How many impact wrench dakka-dakka-dakkas is that? I can never remember the conversion.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shifty Pony posted:

How many impact wrench dakka-dakka-dakkas is that? I can never remember the conversion.

About 9-10, depending on air pressure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that 9-10 dakkas or "dakka-dakka-dakkas"?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
One imperial dakka is about two and a half metric dakka.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have the hardest time getting filters off my sequoia. they somehow tighten to infinity over the course of the OCI. Weirdly enough. my chevy metro uses the same filter as the 2uz and does not have this problem. I use wix filters on both...

I hate all the argument and speculation about oil filters, so i just buy whatever the mfg used OEM and it's never let me down...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Is a dugga-dugga one half a dakka?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bat tree didn’t even have a go handle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wouldn't have happened if it had been properly disposed of in the ocean.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Even I can weld better than that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

Bat tree didn’t even have a go handle.

Yeah I like that. I've been watching perhaps too many a thems.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not an empty quote.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A safe and legal thrill.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Recharge the eels!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

On my '65 Fury, the ends of driver's side lugs were stamped with an "L"

The '66 Coronet failed its first inspection because the service writer at Federally-Mandated Foreign Car Inspection Expert Canadian Tire (who asserted he "knew Mopars" and had a fahv hunnert horsepower Challenger) did not pass that information on to the actual workers, who ugga dugga snapped a good percentage of the lug studs on the drivers' side.

I can understand snapping one, even two... but at some point "drat, all these lug nuts can't be seized" has to pass through your brain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It blew my mind when Canadian Tire, of all places, became the mandated foreign inspection shop. They must have become it by default since they have the largest geographical footprint and it's easier than authorizing/licensing individual shops.

To people that aren't familiar with them, it's literally the same level of a retail store as Walmart but has a much larger auto, hardware and sports section. Still 99.9% of everything made in China (actually, Walmart almost certainly has more North American made products), pay workers minimum wage but wrap themselves in the Canadian flag because :canada: patriotism :canada:

It's literally the last place you go for "quality" other than maybe some semi-decent tools... nestled in between all the junk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Canadian Tire issues their own currency.

It’s the most powerful corporation since the John Company.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

Canadian Tire issues their own currency.

It’s the most powerful corporation since the John Company.

do they have their own crypto yet? seems like a missed opportunity if not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

It blew my mind when Canadian Tire, of all places, became the mandated foreign inspection shop.

I brought my ZX2 up there and the inspection consisted of:

10% looking at the modifications I had made to bring it into Canadian compliance (DRLs, basically)

10% attempting to copy information from the door sticker into some lovely palmpilot device

80% freaking the gently caress out because somewhere in their database it said that the car was manufactured at a Ford plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, and they absolutely knew that I couldn't import MEXICAN CARS into Canada even though it was clearly a USDM model and I had the original Ohio title in hand.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 21, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They must really hate USDM Nissans and VWs then. I think even Toyota is building some stuff in Mexico now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Canadian Spec Honda Fits were built in Mexico and the HR-Vs are right now... along with Dodge Trucks IIRC and god only knows what else.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My understanding was that Puebla is a city made up exclusively of auto plants and roughly the economic footprint that Detroit used to have.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

Canadian Spec Honda Fits were built in Mexico and the HR-Vs are right now... along with Dodge Trucks IIRC and god only knows what else.
Canada also had some built in China.

The US 1st and 2nd gen Fits were all Japan, then 3rd gen was split between Japan and Mexico.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tacomas are now, or will soon be built in Mexico

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The ones that my local dealer has been getting in have Mexico as the final assembly point already.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dry contacts, eh? That would help.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

80% freaking the gently caress out because somewhere in their database it said that the car was manufactured at a Ford plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, and they absolutely knew that I couldn't import MEXICAN CARS into Canada even though it was clearly a USDM model and I had the original Ohio title in hand.

It's easier to import cars from Mexico with RIV than it is from the US, too.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 22, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigPaddy posted:

It is me I am the mechanical failure. Was removing the driver side wheels from the new 63 GP what had the factory drums still on it. Thought they were super tight but no they are reverse threaded so spent 30 minutes soaking them down and trying to loosen them the wrong way. Remembered the reverse thread thing once I did the passenger side and they came off no issue.

Left handed lug nuts were an incredibly stupid idea that serves no purpose.
I know Dodge liked them in the ‘60s, too.

Shifty Pony posted:

I thought that was “Ugga-Duggas”? I know “Dakka” as Orc for firepower.

Oh, there’s the 10mm!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't lead acid batteries produce hydrogen during heavy current draw, as well as when being charged?

If so, I'm doubly impressed it didn't go bang.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Only when the voltage goes above a certain threshold, which can be done deliberately during a reconditioning cycle.

I'm not aware they gas during discharge. Unless you draw so much current you start cooking the acid though internal resistance.

Related question: most batteries sold in Germany nowadays are fully sealed. Anyone knows what happens when you recondition one of these? I never saw a warning about that on the charger or the battery but I'm still refraining from it. In my mind it'll build up gas pressure in the case and blow something.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You guys got those fancy liquid cooled relays

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Darchangel posted:

I thought that was “Ugga-Duggas”? I know “Dakka” as Orc for firepower.

Oh hey, another fan of Mary "hand me another elf, sergeant, this one's split" Gentle's Grunts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Theory posted:

Only when the voltage goes above a certain threshold, which can be done deliberately during a reconditioning cycle.

That's good to know. I put a neighbor's battery (she's out of town for awhile, asked me to look after her car after her brother let it sit for 6 months) through a reconditioning cycle after the battery went through a complete discharge, and it definitely gassed a bit. I had it in my garage originally (overhead door open a bit, but only a bit), went in there, and got a decent rotten egg smell. Wound up unplugging the charger at the time, then the next day, moved it to my patio and ran the recondition cycle again.

FWIW, it's been a few days now, and her car still fires right up. The smell inside the car is still enough to induce :barf:, but that's not the fault of the battery.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

this is like my car rn. they said the sunroof drains were clogged and it flooded some modules in the footwells. gonna be 3k to fix cause they gotta strip the interior. I'm hating life rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

skybolt_1 posted:

Ok, that does look like a darn good filter. Enjoyed reading the rabbit hole of only replacing them after every other oil change or so and letting them go 20-30k miles.