Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

watching the sex ghost episode. in the cemetery at the end there's a McFly headstone lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

anyone who watches star trek is a god darned clown!!!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dabir posted:

anyone who watches star trek is a god darned clown!!!

Me IRL

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

me

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Star trek has a unique ability to make you embarrassed in a room by yourself

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ds9 is the best series. It's incredibly depressing that Hulu and Netflix both just have vhs quality episodes.

I bought the DVDs before the internet and they are vhs quality, maybe bootlegs.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Wendigee posted:

Ds9 is the best series. It's incredibly depressing that Hulu and Netflix both just have vhs quality episodes.

I bought the DVDs before the internet and they are vhs quality, maybe bootlegs.

That’s all that exists. The way the show was made was they would shoot on film, and then to streamline and cheapen the editing and effects process those were be transferred to tape. The end result is the vhs quality trash that at the time was perfectly acceptable for broadcast

The reason TOS looks awesome is because the technology to transfer everything to tape and edit from there just wasn’t there yet. TNG blurays look amazing because people found all the original film and manually edited them together using the broadcast tapes as their guideline. A process that proved too time consuming and expensive and not worth it to do again for DS9

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Posting on the The Motion Picture release year thread, the movie which birthed the very best version of the Starship Enterprise ever.

Also gave us spacesuit costumes, a thrustersuit costume, engineering protective uniforms, and yes the football security armor. I don't give a hot Vulcan gently caress what you think about the penis bulges, that one movie put more effort into Starfleet costuming than pretty much the entirety of Berman's run on Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

That’s all that exists. The way the show was made was they would shoot on film, and then to streamline and cheapen the editing and effects process those were be transferred to tape. The end result is the vhs quality trash that at the time was perfectly acceptable for broadcast

The reason TOS looks awesome is because the technology to transfer everything to tape and edit from there just wasn’t there yet. TNG blurays look amazing because people found all the original film and manually edited them together using the broadcast tapes as their guideline. A process that proved too time consuming and expensive and not worth it to do again for DS9

Fans have been working on doing AI-assisted upscales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQBhpVBpqc

Leaks a month or two ago said that CBS was planning to do a similar remaster on DS9 and Voyager that would use a combination of rescanned tape and AI-upscale to create a better looking version. That would be a lot cheaper than the TNG recomposite-all-the-FX-from-model-footage remaster, but not look as good.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Star Trek to introduce Section 31 Spinoff

Vatican to introduce Satanic Mass

Just do the Terran Empire spinoff you cowards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Fans have been working on doing AI-assisted upscales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQBhpVBpqc

Leaks a month or two ago said that CBS was planning to do a similar remaster on DS9 and Voyager that would use a combination of rescanned tape and AI-upscale to create a better looking version. That would be a lot cheaper than the TNG recomposite-all-the-FX-from-model-footage remaster, but not look as good.
Yeah I don’t see CBS giving another series the TNG Remaster treatment since they reportedly lost a bunch of money on it

But at least we now have a gorgeous version of TNG to watch forever

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i gotta say, i kinda dig that DS9 looks like crap

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 hours!)

The thing with Avery Brooks is he is just extremely broad in everything he does acting wise. Sometimes that works for the scene, sometimes it's comically bad. It applies to when he is trying to play understated, too - he basically can't. If there's some internal conflict within Sisko in a scene, Brooks will have it nearly bursting out of his face when 50% of what he's doing would have been better.

I don't think Brooks has the ability to reign this in. It's just what he does and like I said, it isn't always bad. It just means if they try to get him to play something that requires several things to be expressed at once, you'll get the most obvious thing taken too far.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Avery Brooks brings all the ham needed to play a star fleet officer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

punishedkissinger posted:

i gotta say, i kinda dig that DS9 looks like crap

One thing you'll notice from those ML upscale samples is that DS9 does not look good when you can see more or crisper looking detail.

It looks a lot like people on cheap sets with a smoke machine going in the background sometimes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don’t see CBS giving another series the TNG Remaster treatment since they reportedly lost a bunch of money on it

Largely due to their own incompetence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avery Brooks proudly presenting "A CLOCK!" to Odo in season 1 is great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Largely due to their own incompetence.
It’s CBS, so that goes without saying.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I wouldn't change anything about the way sisko is played, he feels genuinely different, infallible and alot more human.
It's great that ds9 kicks off with him having a very tense meeting where he mostly seems to want to tell Picard to go gently caress himself and retire, and from then he's just going where fate and the prophets take him.

Also those weird high pitched giggles are great.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, Brooks never seems to be sleepwalking through anything, he's always going for something in his acting. Even if it doesn't always work perfectly, I appreciate it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there a clear point where Berman stepped away from DS9 or was he involved basically the entire time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is there a clear point where Berman stepped away from DS9 or was he involved basically the entire time?

Around the time Voyager started Berman was more hands off with DS9 because Voyager was intended to be the new flagship series.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Are a bunch of you loving nerds watching the Star Trek channel on Pluto.tv? Because I did yesterday nursing a panic attack and I've noticed that the episodes line up with comments made in this thread in a non-random way.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Around the time Voyager started Berman was more hands off with DS9 because Voyager was intended to be the new flagship series.

ok so it really does line up directly with the quality of the show vastly improving. drat.

this is incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU4r80Ycy78

So is this. Season 1 Sisko is a trip.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love Brooks' line reads. He always sounds like he's holding back a torrent of passion and fury with varying levels of success. Sometimes that dam breaks and it's not the words he's saying or their content but the breaking points of his inflection that matters, like an expressive jazz song

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i wish sisko was my dad

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

His “man I don’t wanna do this” face at 1:50 is my favorite thing ever.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I love Brooks' line reads. He always sounds like he's holding back a torrent of passion and fury with varying levels of success. Sometimes that dam breaks and it's not the words he's saying or their content but the breaking points of his inflection that matters, like an expressive jazz song

Yeah, it'd be one thing if Star Trek ever really tried for a more sedate, natural style, but lol at complaining about Brooks chewing scenery when the prototype Star Trek captain is goddamn William Shatner.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shatner is probably the worst actor out of all of the captains right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Exactly. The rank of Captain is basically one of the appointed soliliquyizer. Let 'em lean into it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Exactly. The rank of Captain is basically one of the appointed soliliquyizer. Let 'em lean into it.

Which actually might make Burnham feel more natural, now that she’s captain.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Which actually might make Burnham feel more natural, now that she’s captain.

I only watched the first part of S1 of Disco before giving up but Burnham is captain now? What bullshit is this. I wouldn't follow her into battle.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Shatner was actually pretty good and I feel like people remember parody kirk more than they remember actual kirk

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shatner is probably the worst actor out of all of the captains right?

His performance is a lot more theatrical, but that's also the style of the time, what with TV being way closer then to being a filmed play than to what it has become now. He never really shook that style and it's jarring to watch today, but that's also how a lot of TV performances were at the time.

Audience expectations were a lot different, and I don't necessarily think it's fair to judge his performances to a standard today that he wasn't really held to at the time. If that means he's a "worse" actor, then sure, he's probably the "worst", in that his performances have aged the worst but I don't know that it's a fair comparison.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dabir posted:

anyone who watches ster trak is a god darned clown!!!

ftfy

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

In the future could you please include a content warning when doing this. Avery Brooks with hair and without facial hair makes me feel unsafe, because I don't see how he could protect us from the Dominion in that state.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ajaxify posted:

I only watched the first part of S1 of Disco before giving up but Burnham is captain now? What bullshit is this. I wouldn't follow her into battle.

It was pretty inevitable, she's set up and contracted as the main character and has to be the centre of everything and it was getting increasingly streched making her that without being captain so it'll probably work better now that she is. (and Saru's actor wanted to be in things less because of how oenerous the makeup job is)

But it does feel really bad because it wasn't done in any kind of deserved way and also when they were writing season 3 with the knowledge she'd be Captain at the end, instead of building her up and making her demonstrate over the season how she deserved it, they inserted yet another 'she's incompetent and also not a good officer and gets busted down in rank/position' plot to the season which they speedran this time and then at the end just bumped her back up and threw her into the captain's chair. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fail upwards.