Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that it's basically a meme and the writers keep playing into it.

I only wish Legends would have found an excuse to use it while Ray was on the show. Like, say the line with Ray standing right there with a confused look on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Fru Fru posted:

How is there not a montage on YouTube of all the times someone says “Nanites, courtesy of Ray Palmer”

(Someone please prove me wrong but I couldn’t find it)

TwoPair posted:

I appreciate that it's basically a meme and the writers keep playing into it.

I only wish Legends would have found an excuse to use it while Ray was on the show. Like, say the line with Ray standing right there with a confused look on his face.

The line has been said 3 times including this new one
https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Nanites

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Flash kids for new spin-off. Also a backdoor way to get the Canaries on TV and basically be a Beyond series that'll be the Justice League series we're never gonna really get.

Edit: Nice easter egg with the name of the church.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 14, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So am I forgetting an episode or something where they established that Jay lives on this Earth now? I mean, it's neat and all, but he used to be on Earth-3.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They skip around with people going to different Earths all the time, how do you think any of the crossovers happen??

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

TwoPair posted:

So am I forgetting an episode or something where they established that Jay lives on this Earth now? I mean, it's neat and all, but he used to be on Earth-3.

Crisis? There's only one known Earth now.

Also Cisco leaving lasting 4 whole episodes was not something I saw coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stargirl spoilers

John Wesley Shipp is playing Jay Garrick in season 2 of Stargirl

So uh, multiverse and poo poo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TwoPair posted:

It was definitely supposed to be a big reveal - that's how I took it at least. They did the whole "Keystone City" reveal, then there was no "Earth-3" or whatever popping up underneath like it normally would for Jay.

I absolutely loved the episode, by the way. It might just be because of Jay or it might just be because of Bart. But it was super fun and I'm honestly intrigued by Godspeed's deal.

And the show always does the little creator easter eggs with the names of streets and buildings, but Zauriel Cathedral on Morrison Street made me smile.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have no idea what's even going on in this story. I guess it might start making sense when August explains it next week? But that's the last episode of the season so it's also all got to get wrapped up at the same time.

Also, this show currently has way too many characters with overlapping roles and it's not at all clear what most of them even contribute. And just too many characters in general - which the writers clearly also agree with since they sent Joe off on his own sidequest - and I barely even know who most of them are. I can't even name some of them. And they're not even trying to deal with the whole "future-characters know past-characters but not the other way around" weirdness any more. It's not quite as weird as the earlier part of the season where Barry basically told a group of strangers that he's their dad now, but it's still weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Flash seems to have addressed its problem of "God this plot drags on for too long" but unfortunately it's overcompensating by cramming a whole arc into a short number of episodes

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In almost all other fiction I would think that the villain explaining everything in an over the top way is cheesy, but August Heart's beginnings of totally hamming it up is so much more interesting than anything we've seen this season.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think they might actually be digging through to the other side with the speedster villains that have been old for five years now by having 10+ of them running around.

Edit: Also it's good to have Iris back even if her departure, absence and return was extremely clunky.

:flashfact: "Hey Iris we are going to have episodes based around you that you aren't in. You might be pregnant!"
:) "........"
:flashfact: "That's cool Iris, you just hang out back there while we discuss you for an hour"
:flashfact: "Hey Iris here is how the latest episode ended up. You aren't pregnant after all."
:flashfact: "Iris, let me tell you about the new big bad guy!
:) "Barry, I'm trapped in an unspecified anomaly and have been for awhile. The football player guy from the really terrible storyline is using magic to keep me safe, off the show"
:flashfact: "It's okay Iris we will get you back someday"
:) "Actually I'm back and one of Deon's powers was to have the script. So I know literally everything everyone said while I was gone. Even in private."

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 15, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just turned the episode on, why is Bart singing, and why isn't he singing Barry and Iris's song from the musical?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The resolution to the Kristen Kramer plotline was extremely stupid.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

howe_sam posted:

I just turned the episode on, why is Bart singing, and why isn't he singing Barry and Iris's song from the musical?

Barry and Iris were finally able to have a Felicity-free wedding and complete their vows.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It was a pretty badass ending with how they brought in EVERY speedster that they knew, even Iris!*

*Though I wanted to see her do more speedster stuff*

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Well, that was garbage.

What the hell happened to this show? It used to be legitimately fun and good, right? I'm not just misremembering that?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Not going to lie, I laughed my rear end off at lightsabers of go-fast and their bizarre attempt at a Duel of the Fates style epic showdown.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jassa posted:

Well, that was garbage.

What the hell happened to this show? It used to be legitimately fun and good, right? I'm not just misremembering that?

No, but it sucked waaaaaaay less.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved that episode, as goofy as it got at moments. Speedforce lightsabers were just the right kind of dumb for me, and made for a more dynamic fight than just 3 speedsters running around and punching.

Godspeed is as ridiculous as he should be, he's Impulse's arch-enemy and a guy who named himself "Godspeed" is obviously going to have a god complex.

Jay got to be awesome and throw his hat.

The wedding was fun and a good way to end the season.

Kristen Kramer being like "Yeah turns out I can copy powers. See ya!" makes sense and all, but it definitely feels like her character and storyline changed a LOT from inception until now.

And finally, Barry outclassing Reverse Flash was awesome. I've watched this show since episode 1 and seeing him FINALLY get one over on Thawne was super satisfying.

Overall, not a great season BUT the last 2 episodes were the most I've enjoyed the show in quite a while.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jassa posted:

Well, that was garbage.

Season one was legitimately good. It's only been downhill from there, but I think it might actually have hit rock bottom this season. I don't see any way it could get worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Season one was legitimately good. It's only been downhill from there, but I think it might actually have hit rock bottom this season. I don't see any way it could get worse.

They could replace Barry with Nora.

Edit: the finale was so bad I had to skip through it. Did Joan and the Speed Force never meet face to face or did I skip past that. Did Jay even notice SF was identical to his wife?

Wait, have they explained how Jay's wife is identical to Barry's dead mom but now lives on Earth Prime?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 21, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That episode was so bad it is hard to talk about what was wrong with it. I don’t know if I’ll be back for next season. They should put this show out of its misery and cancel it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I didn't watch this season because as charismatic as the cast is, the writers need to know how to write actual plots. And it if social media is anything to go by Grant Gustin and Candice Patton are running on fumes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, season one was coherent, had interesting stuff to experience and kept you wondering what was going to happen next.

Stuff after that mostly had me wondering how big of a headache I was going to have by the end of an episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Please end the show next season. The cast can stick around to do stuff for other shows, but the writing well is clearly tapped.

I lmao'd at the loving speed lightning shuriken and the speed lightning whip. Just the dumbest poo poo. The swords were merely the capstone of it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I didn't watch this season because as charismatic as the cast is, the writers need to know how to write actual plots. And it if social media is anything to go by Grant Gustin and Candice Patton are running on fumes.

Patton looks miserable in so many of her instagtam posts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

The resolution to the Kristen Kramer plotline was extremely stupid.

I like how it was complete nonsense because she's been interacting with meta characters the entire time she's been on the show and never accidentally used their powers before now.

Given that they had to get extensions for like half the cast to return I'm going to assume that next season will be the last with finally a proper Flash/Reverse Flash story arc.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Patton looks miserable in so many of her instagtam posts.

Making a television show this past year had to be even more of a grind than it usually is. Weren't they all in filming bubbles or something?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I thought it was decent, but I really, really liked Godspeed's actor hamming it up.

The Kramer plot continued to suck, but whatever.

I was totally in for the Lightning Saber duel honestly.

The last act was cheesy and terrible, but in a way that's good as a finale. That could have been the series finale and it would have been fine. God, I wish this was the series finale. I can't go through this for another season. Well, I can, and I will, but I shouldn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cavanaugh seems to be done with the show, I dunno if he'll come back again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

He’ll probably pop up again behind the camera on other Arrowverse shows, like his directorial stint on Superman and Lois, but barring maybe coming back for the series finale, yeah I don’t imagine he’ll ever be back on camera on Flash.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Then give Matt Letscher one last go as Thawne, easy enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Then give Matt Letscher one last go as Thawne, easy enough.

They really should have gotten Letscher back as Thawne for Earth-X. That was pretty much the only thing missing from that crossover. Just based on that one season of Legends alone I came to like him WAY better as Thawne than Cavanaugh.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
What in the actual gently caress is going on with this show? I swear to God I always feel like I missed an episode or two between scenes. Where the gently caress did the second marriage proposal come from? I guess it was thematically related to the “maybe Iris is pregnant” plot, but Christ. Everything is a Goddamned mess.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
TECHNICALLY, it wasn't a second marriage proposal, Barry & Iris just renewed their wedding vows.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

TECHNICALLY, it wasn't a second marriage proposal, Barry & Iris just renewed their wedding vows.

Okay, but where was Felicity?

Ha-HA, this show sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Felicity is in ArrowForce heaven with Ollie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Felicity is in ArrowForce heaven with Ollie.

No, that's still 20 years out from now. Right now Felicity is still on the run and in hiding with baby Mia because she did All The Cyber Crimes. All of them. The Monitor shows up and whisks her away to Arrow Heaven at the end of the 2044 plot, but she can still theoretically show up any time on--lol I can't finish that sentence. Emily Bett Rickards is as done with this poo poo as the rest of us are by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And thank God for small miracles.

Edit: so do Barry and Iris acknowledge that this is an entirely different Nora? And that original Nora is still burning in speed hell where she belongs?