Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

ah yes the Breeders
those accursed scumbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Christians usually have their weekly church service where they can gather and speak to other people who share the same worldview. Atheists don't, so it seems more likely that they would use an external service like reddit to replace this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

Christians usually have their weekly church service where they can gather and speak to other people who share the same worldview. Atheists don't, so it seems more likely that they would use an external service like reddit to replace this.

lol

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Reddit is my church and I pray to Snoo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Username/post checks out

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drat forgot to end my post with /s. downvote me please

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

praise sn**

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
I think I’m gonna snoo myself if I can’t get home in time guys

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Not much, what's snoo with u?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

One thing that fascinates me is the assumed tone of reddit. In that, on SA everything is assumed to be a joke or sarcasm or a shitpost by default. On reddit everything is assumed to be sincere and heartfelt. And it's hilarious.

If you take random and obvious shitposts from here and repeated them folks on reddit would genuinely consider it real. Like a Cumshitter post. It's fascinating to me and does go a long way to explain the insistence on using those fucken /s tags all the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

syntaxfunction posted:

One thing that fascinates me is the assumed tone of reddit. In that, on SA everything is assumed to be a joke or sarcasm or a shitpost by default. On reddit everything is assumed to be sincere and heartfelt. And it's hilarious.

If you take random and obvious shitposts from here and repeated them folks on reddit would genuinely consider it real. Like a Cumshitter post. It's fascinating to me and does go a long way to explain the insistence on using those fucken /s tags all the time.

I think that just might be a feature of the modern internet and how crazy and nutty it is and how earnest people are with their lovely beliefs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not trying to cause brigading or anything, but I'm just fascinated by what this goon actually did or thought they were doing on Reddit:

Everyone posted:

I posted some on Reddit. Then I missed like a month's payment so they deleted my account along with all the silver/gold stuff I'd accumulated over better than a year paying there. Then the random free account they gave has a username like Dickface 13 or something. gently caress Reddit with a rusty chainsaw.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

loving awesome. I like to imagine he was paying a third party site for some reason, like the Stallman mail daemon. Same result but for ??? reasons.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Isn’t there like a premium Reddit account upgrade or something, maybe they straight up deleted your account if you miss a payment?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Isn’t there like a premium Reddit account upgrade or something, maybe they straight up deleted your account if you miss a payment?
They almost definitely don't, and even if you just completely lose your own account, you're never forced to pick a random new name...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah you can pay monthly to get some worthless gold and silver star stickers that you can stick on other people's posts to show everyone how much you like them

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah you can pay monthly to get some worthless gold and silver star stickers that you can stick on other people's posts to show everyone how much you like them

Not just silver and gold. Even mundane links posted on Reddit can get a user a North Korean general's chest worth of medals.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/o7v79q/derek_chauvin_sentenced_to_225_years_in_prison/

Medals, clouds, hands clasped in prayer, heart eyes, a ton of wacky Reddit mascot guys. Just for being the one to post the news about Derek Chauvin's sentencing.

Posting news links for huge breaking news stories gets you a shitload more coins, gold, and ad free time than any alternative method. Including being a beautiful woman who shows her butthole.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 20, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

William Bear posted:

Posting news links for huge breaking news stories gets you a shitload more coins, gold, and ad free time than any alternative method. Including being a beautiful woman who shows her butthole.

We really do live in a society

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

There's an addendum

What's the over/under for this "book launch" being for some self published Ebook slashfic?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

syntaxfunction posted:

They're playing for the cheap seats, which is all them on account of the lack of any kind of filter

10 bucks does an astonishing job of keeping out a large volume of absolute nitwits (including literal children)

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

syntaxfunction posted:

I've encountered this a couple of times, and if they do catch on that you're not being 100% sincere they'll assume you're doing it to intentionally wind them up. C'mon, I'm just trying to joke around with you guys. :shrug:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You also get a free sticker loot crate every day, which gives you a random sticker to apply to a post within 24 hours to drive engagement.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Lobe posted:

They're playing for the cheap seats, which is all them on account of the lack of any kind of filter

10 bucks does an astonishing job of keeping out a large volume of absolute nitwits (including literal children)

the reactions I have seen when people post about sa make it look like bans are as much a reason people freak out as the money.

"They make you pay $10 to post there! and will they ban you..."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
:10bux: is the reason bans work in the first place
if your subreddit bans someone for being a racist moron he can just make a free alt account and get right back to posting

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

:10bux: is the reason bans work in the first place
if your subreddit bans someone for being a racist moron he can just make a free alt account and get right back to posting

at least we get Dare , Seraph, and :kyoon:

also, when did they take away the :kyoon: emote?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

You've done it. You've found the purest possible strain of Reddit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
reddit.jpg

ikanreed posted:

You've done it. You've found the purest possible strain of Reddit.

Oh gently caress you!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The reddit award is really just the icing on the cake there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can it be that I hold in my mortal hands, a lump of purest Reddit?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ugly In The Morning posted:

R/exmormon is up there too, 203k members. Not sure if it really fits into that list but it’s actually a pretty fascinating subreddit.

Where were all the Scientologist? They are always fun in the r/Psychiatry sub.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think there was a small but active Scientology sub that got chased out by trolls back when Reddit had basically no rules.

Same with a large homeopathy group during that era. You could just make dozens of accounts and reply to every comment in whatever awful sub with goatman and immediately just move to the next account when they banned you since it took less than 15 seconds and there were no ways to filter new users easily.

Of course that was also the era of “creepshots” and “jailbait” soooooo mixed bag.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Same with a large homeopathy group during that era. You could Of course that was also the era of “creepshots” and “jailbait” soooooo

I remember “jailbait,” (and was never as proud of The Community of Goons) even though I hadn’t been to Reddit, and followed the thread(s) here with glee. It must have been at the time been discussed, but I missed the reference: what were “creepers?” Sounds like some Chris Hanson stuff, but I’d rather ask here than look up the term on Google because I don’t always search the right terms and just don’t want to see soul-crushing personalities at 7:30 on a Wednesday morning…
:aatrek:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Creepshots was a subreddit of candid photos taken of women in public, including upskirt pictures

It was modded by violetacrez

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ugly In The Morning posted:

R/exmormon is up there too, 203k members. Not sure if it really fits into that list but it’s actually a pretty fascinating subreddit.

r/amish has 155k members and is private, so I'm guessing there's something rotten going on in there

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Party Boat posted:

r/amish has 155k members and is private, so I'm guessing there's something rotten going on in there

It's not private, it simply doesn't allow anyone to post.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh okay it's just a joke then

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiberius Christ posted:

Creepshots was a subreddit of candid photos taken of women in public, including upskirt pictures

It was modded by violetacrez

Ok that’s horrible. I do remember the username, though, but always “Mandela Effected” it to Violentacrez and thought it was some Juggalo poo poo.
Just finished a 24 oz $.99 Faygo cola, btw. I’m “down with the clown,” as the kids say.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok that’s horrible. I do remember the username, though, but always “Mandela Effected” it to Violentacrez and thought it was some Juggalo poo poo.
Just finished a 24 oz $.99 Faygo cola, btw. I’m “down with the clown,” as the kids say.

The username was definitely violentacrez. I couldn’t read it as violent acres for some reason until I heard it on the news though, for some reason I could never get the space in the right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Yeah its violentacrez sorry, the ultimate redditor

His TV interview was insane, guy openly talked about those subreddits with no shame