Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like Tomino is a bit the Alan Moore of japan.

Why? Do you know how weird Alan Moore is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

how quickly we forget the old thread title

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unless Tomino has a spiritualistic worldview based on a system of magic of his own devising, he's no Alan Moore. I know some guys in the industry must believe a lot of New Age mumbo jumbo, but surely Tomino couldn't possibly be the weirdest.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Unless Tomino has a spiritualistic worldview based on a system of magic of his own devising, he's no Alan Moore.
brother, wait until you hear about Newtypes

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Takahata is my personal "best anime director" pick. Only Yesterday is my favorite animated film and Tale of Princess Kaguya was a visual masterpiece.

Satoshi Kon dying relatively young was loving tragic though :smith:

I'm in total agreement. I saw Kaguya in theaters and was crying at the end. I'd prob say Kon is my favorite ever, but it's hard to say because he only had a few years. But everything he made is so perfect.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Unless Tomino has a spiritualistic worldview based on a system of magic of his own devising, he's no Alan Moore. I know some guys in the industry must believe a lot of New Age mumbo jumbo, but surely Tomino couldn't possibly be the weirdest.

Alan Moores a standard issue wizard dude.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hodgepodge posted:

lol he's making a joke and the photographer caught the intended reaction (she's rolling her eyes)

maybe it's just biden being president, but i have a hard time seeing it as creepy when his hands aren't even invading her personal space i guess

Go post in the d&d anime thread

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's going to be an anime about number based on a VN based on an LN. Maybe it will be good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPfC54ZcHE

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

There's going to be an anime about number based on a VN based on an LN. Maybe it will be good?

the vns were good.

theyre from the same person who did Spice and Wolf so its very focused on trade/economics rather than anything else lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the vns were good.

theyre from the same person who did Spice and Wolf so its very focused on trade/economics rather than anything else lol

Now that I'm more in tune with number I might try and watch it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Reminds me I have to jump back into that on my ps4

I kinda wanna replay SRW Z but it still isnt translated and im too lazy to learn to read it but it's such an awesome game and I think the last that had really cool spritework before the switch to more.. I dunno, smooth sprites? in the new era

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Alan Moores a standard issue wizard dude.

Anarchist Wizards

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

I kinda wanna replay SRW Z but it still isnt translated and im too lazy to learn to read it but it's such an awesome game and I think the last that had really cool spritework before the switch to more.. I dunno, smooth sprites? in the new era

With SRW 30 coming out to Steam maybe these old games will get their "Asia" release put on there as well

Which I'll say I'm glad for since I won't have to deal with using the Singapore PSN store or the Hong Kong Switch store

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

are the Bogdanof twins the villains?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The guy who did that gambling manga, Kakegurui, started another manga series. It's a fantasy series about a guy who sets out to kill a group of warriors who reincarnated into the fantasy world from other worlds and have extremely overpowered abilities. It was cancelled after literally one issue because some readers noticed similarities between the evil warriors and characters from other popular manga.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
having read a lot of fantasy trash, i recall one that would be considered a perfect iseki now where going to another world allowed you to receive mana from worship, making you a god. it was an explicit metaphor for colonialism.

most iseki is just variations on that; tower of god for example has no "real world" that is just our own, but the tower was colonialized by past visitors (who either enter or grow in power within the tower until its inhabitants are basically insects to them), and few visitors have entered since and those who did and weren't killed before they could become a problem have shaken things up even if they explicitly wanted nothing to do with the politics of the tower.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Idiocracy is an isekai

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
who is "God's Mistake" a reference to

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gripweed posted:

The guy who did that gambling manga, Kakegurui, started another manga series. It's a fantasy series about a guy who sets out to kill a group of warriors who reincarnated into the fantasy world from other worlds and have extremely overpowered abilities. It was cancelled after literally one issue because some readers noticed similarities between the evil warriors and characters from other popular manga.

But this is the isekai I want to read!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Southpaugh posted:

But this is the isekai I want to read!

Same, that looks fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was incredibly tasteless and grimdark even by the standards of 'isekai satire by the Kakegurui mangaka', though, which was the other half of why it got torched.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was incredibly tasteless and grimdark even by the standards of 'isekai satire by the Kakegurui mangaka', though, which was the other half of why it got torched.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being redo of a healer how tasteless are we talking

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

If I recall, it didn't even some characterization aspects right since characters like Subaru and Tanya live horrifyingly stressful lives far away from the ideal "wish-fulfilment" ideals, Ainz is already a villain so that point is moot, Destruction Flag Otome and Otherworldly Restaurant are largely wholesome SoL's, and KonoSuba already exists to take the absolute piss out of the isekai and both Wiseman and Slime are largely down to earth guys who just want to chill and help people out. There's probably a satirical take for isekai, but this REALLY wasn't it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being redo of a healer how tasteless are we talking

Well, one of the characters from the other worlds is a parody of Redo of Healer, and afaik the initiating action is this guy rapes the protagonist's friend.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dreddout posted:

Chapter 1 has Louis Crawford(bootleg of Shin Wolfword) raping the MC's childhood friend to death over a stump and later uses his clout to force two girls at a bar to pleasure him.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well, one of the characters from the other worlds is a parody of Redo of Healer, and afaik the initiating action is this guy rapes the protagonist's friend.

Looks like Redo of Healer guy, but it's based off of Wiseman's Grandchild. Nicknames what gives it away(Gods Mistake vs Gods Messenger).

doomrider7 has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Jul 21, 2021

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

doomrider7 posted:

Chapter 1 has Louis Crawford(bootleg of Shin Wolfword) raping the MC's childhood friend to death over a stump and later uses his clout to force two girls at a bar to pleasure him.
Well I don't know who the Alan Moore of Japan is but it sounds like this guy's angling for Garth Ennis.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Moore’s the gratuitous female rape writer, Ennis is the gratuitous rape of men for comedic purposes writer.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i want to know who the mark millar of japan is and what their equivalent of the unfunnies is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
whos the rob liefeld

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Moore’s the gratuitous female rape writer, Ennis is the gratuitous rape of men for comedic purposes writer.
I'm just thinking that this is The Boys for isekai protagonists, but then it might be a lot closer to the Amazon series in the first place.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pitch posted:

I'm just thinking that this is The Boys for isekai protagonists, but then it might be a lot closer to the Amazon series in the first place.

That's not a bad description actually. Funny thing is that I totally forgot about Ennis and went straight for Moore in my mind before you brought him up.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

christmas boots posted:

whos the rob liefeld

Araki

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The actual way to effectively take down a lot of isekai stuff would be to make a story that tackles the colonialist themes present in so many of them since they can range from outright vile to just well-intentioned but inadvertently pro-colonialist

It's way easier said than done tho

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I have not watched How a Realist Hero saved the Kingdom, but it looks to me like another isekai where the fantasy is reproducing Late Capitalism in a fantasy setting

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Srice posted:

The actual way to effectively take down a lot of isekai stuff would be to make a story that tackles the colonialist themes present in so many of them since they can range from outright vile to just well-intentioned but inadvertently pro-colonialist

It's way easier said than done tho

that's been done years ago. it was that 'me with the child soldiers and also a girl gets horrifically raped. something something giant fort and desertification and warlordism was the background to the rather nasty plot but can't remember the name.

it was possibly the most horrifically depressing 'me after texhnolyze i ever did see

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fauxbot posted:

that's been done years ago. it was that 'me with the child soldiers and also a girl gets horrifically raped. something something giant fort and desertification and warlordism was the background to the rather nasty plot but can't remember the name.

it was possibly the most horrifically depressing 'me after texhnolyze i ever did see

Now and Then, Here and There is good but also it doesn't criticize it in the same way modern isekai do it, if that makes sense?

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
i mean if it got made now (lol), it would just have a 30 second intro about falling into a video game and a couple extra superpowers.

i wonder, beyond that, what would be the difference?

it's the closest that's gonna happen haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I finished Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1 the other day. Was anyone else underwhelmed with the finale of the Laughing Man case? It felt like they built up the stakes incredibly high with Section 9 being shut down and the major being killed and then all that tension disappeared and everything was resolved without anything really happening. Also, is season 2 worthwhile?