Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think totems will use the endurance charge effect built into tec slam .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

I don’t think totems will use the endurance charge effect built into tec slam .

Idk, they use your frenzy and power charges don't they?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your aoe with the new totem down will be enormous so I don’t think you will miss the endurance charge mechanic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they do eat your endurance charges that will be amazing for clear and for proccing Valako

I watched the league announcement video and could not figure out if the totems were eating the characters endu charges

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Totems use your stats for the skills they use so frenzies and power charges give them the same bonuses but they don't count as being the totem's charges and totems have max charges of zero.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

External Organs posted:

I think the only two (potentially) melee supports I noticed that weren't messed with other than mana multiplier were Rage and Immolate. Anything else?

shockwave and ancestral call. inc crit/crit damage/nightblade actually got buffed substantially too if you're going in that direction.

J
Jun 10, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

I really hope they actually tested the game with these changes

I have bad news

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I still don't understand the nerf to mana multipliers on support gems because that's just a flat-out negative QoL change to me. But on the bright side, Archmage damage isn't nerfed if spells costs twice as much to cast as before! :haw:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like this amount of nerfs to every aspect of character power and qol probably should of been coupled with some PoE2 improvements at the same time like no more orbs of fusing and new gem link system.

Something to help the bitterness go down.

This would've been a good idea.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deki posted:

When I heard of the nerfs to primary damage supports I was hoping that some underperforming nondamage supports would get a little boost to help them be a little more viable, but nah.

The main reason I'm not panicking is there's zero chance of the devs abandoning the game in the near future and if the changes are truly untenable, we'll get them reverted next league if not sooner.

They sort of did in the sense that pure damage ones got hit harder than the other ones.

If you look at some gems it looks like they got hit particularly hard because of some edge cases. Like elemental focus shouldn't have been hit as hard as it did because it does have a pretty substantial demerit, but there is one particular archetype that can bypass that weakness (Cold dot) and thats why everyone had to suffer because of it. Cold dot got loving dumpstered with the changes to hypothermia and bonechill, elemental focus didnt need to be hit harder than other gems with strong drawbacks.

Some streamers like mathil have been complaining about spellslinger for almost an entire year, they could have fixed the actual gem instead of nerfing spells that went well with it. But now its been absolutely gutted with the increase reservations and not being able to bypass costs.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

shimmy shimmy posted:

shockwave and ancestral call. inc crit/crit damage/nightblade actually got buffed substantially too if you're going in that direction.

Use all these supports for uh, molten strike Varunastra build?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

But on the bright side, Archmage damage isn't nerfed if spells costs twice as much to cast as before.

yeah I was just thinking about this, but I'm not gonna (can't) do the math. Maybe somehow it's actually good and I can exploit them not testing poo poo

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

dyzzy posted:

Totems use your stats for the skills they use so frenzies and power charges give them the same bonuses but they don't count as being the totem's charges and totems have max charges of zero.

i'm pretty sure they actually count your charges for instances where it'd matter (i.e. frenzy's increased attack speed/damage per frenzy charge). it really should count your endurance charges for the bonus area/branches on tec slam, but it's hard to say for sure. definitely worth doing a bit of day 1 testing on standard

euphronius posted:

If they do eat your endurance charges that will be amazing for clear and for proccing Valako

I watched the league announcement video and could not figure out if the totems were eating the characters endu charges

i'm positive they won't eat your charges. looking at his endurance charge count it goes up when he hits enduring cry and then a few seconds afterwards from valako, then again after using infernal cry, never down.

External Organs posted:

Use all these supports for uh, molten strike Varunastra build?

by your powers combined......

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 21, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol awakened spell echo does less damage than normal spell echo. this league is gonna be great.

edit: oh wait they updated it in the notes. rip that patch note maker

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
Friendly reminder that a guy paid $1000 to have this put in the game last league.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

InventorOfTrees posted:

Friendly reminder that a guy paid $1000 to have this put in the game last league.

Maybe they'll keep just this one in, and it'll become a chase flask

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sweep:

Now deals 281% of Base Damage, and has 281% Effectiveness of Added Damage at gem level 20 (previously 225%).

The number of targets that Sweep can hit has been increased to 100 (previously 30).

----

Any pro Sweep builds? :v:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sweep is a good leveling skill imo

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ihmemies posted:

Sweep is in dire need of an interesting mechanic. Even if it were 1000% damage effectiveness, I would not be thrilled sweeping my way through the Maven fight.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

3.15 will be fine. just CLICK faster.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

hawowanlawow posted:

Sweep is a good leveling skill imo

Royale day1 PTSD

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
Also, anyone expecting Asmon to take a swing at Chris on Thursday is going to be sorely disappointed. He plays relatively casually, doesn't really follow the scene, and regularly uses GGG as an example of "a company doing it right." It's just going to be a glorified commercial targeting people who don't already play PoE.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devor posted:

Maybe they'll keep just this one in, and it'll become a chase flask

That is actually hilarious if it is really a before-nerf flask with extended duration.

From the wiki it doesn't look like it has a set map or boss it drops from. It's item level 100 so can it only drop from the random card prophecy?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
No idea if this was actually good and/or if it got nerfed but this build looked/looks fun:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3080350

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devor posted:

Sweep is in dire need of an interesting mechanic. Even if it were 1000% damage effectiveness, I would not be thrilled sweeping my way through the Maven fight.

i would rather it just not be weaker than every other melee aoe skill, including having a longer animation than most, a lower base attack speed, and less effectiveness of added damage, etc. even the base aoe is crappier than some unexerted/fist of war slams. they've pretty clearly just forgotten the skill exists and have no intention of bringing it in line with the rest.

well i guess they did buff the base and added damage a bit but that hardly makes up for the skill just straight sucking in the first place.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 21, 2021

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

well i guess they did buff the base and added damage a bit but that hardly makes up for the skill just straight sucking in the first place.

this describes a ton of skills that they've been steadily buffing for leagues. there is no amount of numerical changes that will make lightning strike or dual strike interesting skills to build around.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at least sweep isn't namelock. it's got that going for it. they really need to get rid of all namelock targeting, even for basic attack.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nearly killed em! posted:

this describes a ton of skills that they've been steadily buffing for leagues. there is no amount of numerical changes that will make lightning strike or dual strike interesting skills to build around.

They changed lightning strikes affect and if it's cool enough I might try it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I like the idea of dual strike but then....yeah no thanks.

That new Ambush should be a support gem imo. Turn skills into that teleporting monk generator skill. But that's too fast and fun I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

I think they just wanted to ram all of the unpopular stuff into one patch and let people hate the game for a bit, and then they can have future leagues be less negative. Any new positive changes would have probably been overshadowed by the nerfs.

Next league they will probably bring in something new from PoE2, and then the league after that is an expansion league, which GGG is hoping will draw back some of the players who quit now.

I would have spread out the nerfs across the leagues (and keep reminding people in each manifesto that additional nerfs are coming in future leagues), or even left some like the mana multipliers for PoE2. I understand wanting to get all of the negative stuff out of the way, but I think you can hit a breaking point where people leave for good.

Yeah it feels very much like they're just using this patch to create runway for future patches. And believe it won't hurt player numbers enough to matter.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

InventorOfTrees posted:

This clip really sums up how GGG actually has no loving idea what they're doing anymore: https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyPlayfulBunnyPJSalt-mTvYX774OneDrz-P

Why, because players are stupid and don't know what ailments are?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Magus42 posted:

One of the most cold-themed supports will no longer support the existing Cold DoT skills

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think what bothers me most about this is the typical "fix a problem by hammering it from multiple sides" that usually just wrecks things. Like making people move slower, increasing mob health, and decreasing damage...that's a *huge* impact when all of it comes together. I'd expect big changes like that to come with corresponding adjustments to all the boss fights and various endgame paths this game has...but nope.

Plus POE's endgame is *so deep*. It takes a long time to reach goals. That's why people want fast. Atlas itself is a long grind if you like to fill it out (watchstones, maven points, completion bonuses, etc). They don't seem to take it all into account.

I also feel like people talk about Chris Wilson too much? Isn't he just a figurehead at this point? Does he actually give that much input? Like, I get that he could, and he can set his foot down on anything (like he wouldn't let them remove HH, but they nerfed getting it so hard, they might as well have).

He's usually reading a script, and during live Q&As, has to ask off to the side all the time. He talks a lot about progression and endgame and so on, but by his own admission hasn't stepped foot near in it a long time. I'm not making GBS threads on Chris Wilson, and I could totally be wrong as I don't work at GGG, but he seems more like 98% just mouthpiece for the dev team these days, not actually pushing His Vision.

POE is still a great, fun game though. It's only once you've got a ton of hours into it that it starts losing its luster, as they make the grind to get to new / interesting stuff take longer and longer, and more and more RNG levers as they keep removing any deterministic...anything. It just wears thin, esp if you try to do it every 3 months.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I think I'm gonna play it safe and stick with a class I know well, necro. Interested to see how this reaper works out.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Magus42 posted:

its definitely weird and unintuitive that ignite, shock, bleed, chill, and freeze are ailments, but cold damage over time is not an ailment

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Sweep:

Now deals 281% of Base Damage, and has 281% Effectiveness of Added Damage at gem level 20 (previously 225%).

The number of targets that Sweep can hit has been increased to 100 (previously 30).

----

Slayer Sweep has been a fun build in previous leagues but I never pushed it much past Sirus. Pushing the AoE radius up to screen wide levels can be fun, but I have no idea what the state of Life Leech is rn.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Magus42 posted:

Please don't act like the mechanics of POE are simple, well communicated, and easily understood.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Jinnigan posted:

its definitely weird and unintuitive that ignite, shock, bleed, chill, and freeze are ailments, but cold damage over time is not an ailment

Nor are essence drain, contagion, soulrend, bane, righteous fire, flame wall...

It's at least consistent with other gem-based DoTs

also lol

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Magus42 posted:

Did you even listen to the clip? Be honest.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Okay, so it seems like they're stripping a bunch of flask effect from my build's tree, but they didn't cut the 50% stun avoidance from Of The Order flasks at all, so I'm pretty sure I can still get stun immunity that way. The loss of elemental ailment immunity from Inquisitor Ascendant suuuper sucks though, I'd need to get another 50% chance to avoid freeze somehow to fix it.

Cyclone got buffed a little, maybe I can figure out something for that. Is dual-wield cyclone a thing at all, or does everyone always go two-handed or shield?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Okay, so it seems like they're stripping a bunch of flask effect from my build's tree, but they didn't cut the 50% stun avoidance from Of The Order flasks at all, so I'm pretty sure I can still get stun immunity that way. The loss of elemental ailment immunity from Inquisitor Ascendant suuuper sucks though, I'd need to get another 50% chance to avoid freeze somehow to fix it.

Cyclone got buffed a little, maybe I can figure out something for that. Is dual-wield cyclone a thing at all, or does everyone always go two-handed or shield?

Just go gcbf, pokbless.