Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charles Mansion posted:

i wonder how much longer three gorges has left in a world with rainfall episodes like this

Keeping the reservoir level low helps a lot.

Obviously this has its costs, but if it keeps the dam standing, so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

It's rained every day this month in New Orleans, and we're on pace to hit our annual rainfall for the year by the end of this month.

We have a lot of streets with neutral grounds in the middle separating the two directions of the road, and when it's raining a lot is suspend parking restrictions, so you can park your car on the neutral ground, which is a good bit higher than the curbs. You know the storm is getting bad when you get a text from the city that you can park on the neutral ground. Anyway, those parking restrictions (which only get suspended during street flooding emergencies) have been suspended 15% of the time this year.

It's the same all across the gulf coast I think and I wouldn't be surprised if also the rest of the south. The coast is absolutely rainy as hell anyway but good lord I'd love to see the sun for once this summer

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's the same all across the gulf coast I think and I wouldn't be surprised if also the rest of the south. The coast is absolutely rainy as hell anyway but good lord I'd love to see the sun for once this summer

It's starting to wear on me too. Haven't seen the sun for 2 weeks and feeling like complete poo poo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I mean I don't mean to like minimize the deaths but only 12 dead shows a pretty good response by China considering subways were flooding especially since it happened in a metro area

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The sun here in Ohio has been obscured by PNW wildfires. Not as bad as it was a decade ago when I lived in Kansas and it was blood red all day, it's only the mornings here.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I mean... they shouldn't have been open. Even if you don't loving immediately die from being trapped in a tunnel filled with water you're not unlikely to die later from whatever nasty diseases were entering your body. But, sure?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

I mean I don't mean to like minimize the deaths but only 12 dead shows a pretty good response by China considering subways were flooding especially since it happened in a metro area

Feels more lucky to me. It certainly doesn't look like from those subway videos that someone in charge had the situation under control.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The sun here in Ohio has been obscured by PNW wildfires. Not as bad as it was a decade ago when I lived in Kansas and it was blood red all day, it's only the mornings here.

yep have a pic from my AM walk yesterday in upstate NY where it's just red ball.. not eye blowing up sun.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Iron Crowned posted:

Its crazy. I live 500 feet from Lake Erie, and went to the park last night to take in the sunset... many others were there and in amazement about the "beautiful" sky.

I cant even take in a summer sunset without overwhelming dread. loving owns.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

Number will go up, it's always goes up.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PostNouveau posted:

Feels more lucky to me. It certainly doesn't look like from those subway videos that someone in charge had the situation under control.

yeah that might be true but the response seemed to be better than it would be in the US? like even if they weren't expecting it they at least responded to it

like I said I don't mean to be like "oh poo poo's not that bad it's just a little sprinkle" I'm just surprised it wasn't worse than it was

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tiberion02 posted:

Its crazy. I live 500 feet from Lake Erie, and went to the park last night to take in the sunset... many others were there and in amazement about the "beautiful" sky.

I cant even take in a summer sunset without overwhelming dread. loving owns.

Yea we've been under it for like 5 days now and I kinda just want to give up and die already like what's the point? I can't even ride my bike for more than 10 minutes before I feel like total poo poo.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah that might be true but the response seemed to be better than it would be in the US? like even if they weren't expecting it they at least responded to it

like I said I don't mean to be like "oh poo poo's not that bad it's just a little sprinkle" I'm just surprised it wasn't worse than it was

This is sort of the vibe I get as well, even though 12 people is 12 too many, when you see that video of the people trapped in the subway car FULL of water, all I imagine is world where the doors are locked and the tunnels fill up to the ceiling and it is a much larger tragedy. That being said, I can think of nothing worse than dying on a subway train on my way to whatever going about my daily business.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

nyc has just been hell lately

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ready for another severe thunderstorm today? It just... never ends. Ha haha

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

IKillForPie posted:

This is sort of the vibe I get as well, even though 12 people is 12 too many, when you see that video of the people trapped in the subway car FULL of water, all I imagine is world where the doors are locked and the tunnels fill up to the ceiling and it is a much larger tragedy. That being said, I can think of nothing worse than dying on a subway train on my way to whatever going about my daily business.

imagine if you were short or a child

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Platystemon posted:

Keeping the reservoir level low helps a lot.

Obviously this has its costs, but if it keeps the dam standing, so be it.

They will literally do whatever it takes to stop it from catastrophically failing because it bursting is basically going to cripple them for decades.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

They will literally do whatever it takes to stop it from catastrophically failing because it bursting is basically going to cripple them for decades.

the dam filling up with enough water to burst it also then releases that massive wall of water into all of the major urban centers downstream, where millions of people live, which is probably an outcome they'd want to avoid. I imagine the dam collapse a few decades back after similar multiple days straight of insane rain that killed a hundred thousand people is fresh in the mind of chinese civil engineers

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the dam filling up with enough water to burst it also then releases that massive wall of water into all of the major urban centers downstream, where millions of people live, which is probably an outcome they'd want to avoid. I imagine the dam collapse a few decades back after similar multiple days straight of insane rain that killed a hundred thousand people is fresh in the mind of chinese civil engineers

Yeah and you also would have massive power issues to boot.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Hey can you coasties please stop smoking and burning? It’s ruining the views. Thanks in advance.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Hey can you coasties please stop smoking and burning? It’s ruining the views. Thanks in advance.

Send us your rain and we'll talk.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It rains like three times a week :smug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ready for another severe thunderstorm today? It just... never ends. Ha haha
I’m in Central FL and we just got like 3” from one storm last night.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

im in the great plains and this is the greenest summer ive seen in over a decade, just lovely, best summer weather of my adult life, midwest thunderstorms are back, flash floods but infrastructure for those floods because there's always been flash floods here, our tornadoes (which are already not nearly as big a deal as quakes, canes) are vacationing out east instead, heat toppin off at ~95°F but with a 4-6mph breeze moseying around, nights when the air and the river conspire to create temperature and humidity conditions more perfect than any climate control system can mimic

they say, of where I live, that we have like four weeks of the ideal human weather broken up between spring and fall. this year, it has extended to months. sunset and rise are a bit hazy, though: it would be great if you could work on that, pnw.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Weee more flashflood warnings.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Peanut Butler posted:

sunset and rise are a bit hazy, though: it would be great if you could work on that, pnw.

no, but maybe

Ardeem posted:

Send us your rain and we'll talk.

probably not though

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Stereotype posted:

there's the rest of your life of this*

* worse than this

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is the best summer you will see for the rest of your life

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

maybe true for you but im different

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ha ha, how 'bout this weather!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Austin is very wet. usually it’s a humid inferno with no rainfall by this time of year

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butler posted:

im in the great plains and this is the greenest summer ive seen in over a decade, just lovely, best summer weather of my adult life, midwest thunderstorms are back, flash floods but infrastructure for those floods because there's always been flash floods here, our tornadoes (which are already not nearly as big a deal as quakes, canes) are vacationing out east instead, heat toppin off at ~95°F but with a 4-6mph breeze moseying around, nights when the air and the river conspire to create temperature and humidity conditions more perfect than any climate control system can mimic

they say, of where I live, that we have like four weeks of the ideal human weather broken up between spring and fall. this year, it has extended to months. sunset and rise are a bit hazy, though: it would be great if you could work on that, pnw.

After the hell summer of a couple of years back, we are having just a glorious winter here in my corner of Australia. Plenty of gentle rain separated by beautiful clear days. Currawongs and honeyeaters everywhere. It'll all end one day, of course, but for the moment I am greedily squeezing every drop of happiness out of each day.

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine if you were short or a child

I will not;

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
 Weatherdammerung 2021: It just... never ends. Ha haha

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is the best summer you will see for the rest of your life

brb writing a hit song called back in the summer of ‘21

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

A smothering haze has descended over Nashville thanks to the fires out west

I bike 4 miles each way to work and it feels like I smoked a pack of cigarettes yesterday

Love my dangerous air

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I did get a pretty cool picture of the sun this morning so there are two sides to it

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
My dumb east coast rear end forgot we were still under an air quality advisory yesterday and threw all the windows open like usual to get that sweet morning air :v: Going to have to get used to checking the AQI more closely in this brave new world we live in.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's loving gorgeous out today cspam

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cygna posted:

My dumb east coast rear end forgot we were still under an air quality advisory yesterday and threw all the windows open like usual to get that sweet morning air :v: Going to have to get used to checking the AQI more closely in this brave new world we live in.

Right.. My dumbass east coast rear end doesn't ever think to check the AQI because it's usually not a thing.. but you know.. 2020's and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
My phone was screaming air quality alerts at me for days, otherwise I wouldn't have ever thought to look.