Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

[step gradient intensifies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Impressive cinematography is the real takeaway here

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

So it’s that some kind of fireworks launcher or did he hit the powerlines with streamers

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

So it’s that some kind of fireworks launcher or did he hit the powerlines with streamers

Powerlines with streamers some of which were long enough to touch the ground while touching the power line.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
e, fb. one weird trick, linemen hate it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It is filmed in a very intriguing way though. Like it tells the story but hides just enough of the fallout to have you watching it multiple times.

Like a Greek tragedy under power lines.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It is filmed in a very intriguing way though. Like it tells the story but hides just enough of the fallout to have you watching it multiple times.

Like a Greek tragedy under power lines.

The way he's looking up makes it seem intentional - if you were concerned about coordinating a target on the ground, you wouldn't be staring straight at the power lines.

My guess is he was hoping to cross two of the aerial lines for a good fireworks display, rather than connecting one of the phases to ground.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I was terrified that once the smoke cleared, that there'd be a charred body there.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
The camerawork and quality made me think some poor wedding-goer just got absolutely smoked leaving behind nothing but ashes and a few bits of unincinerated clothing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

scopes posted:

The camerawork and quality made me think some poor wedding-goer just got absolutely smoked leaving behind nothing but ashes and a few bits of unincinerated clothing.

Fuckin' same.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I think they are short a few bridesmaids...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnGgrneQxNk&t=39s

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Report on the British 787 that retracted it's nose gear on the ground: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/60ed9e3be90e0764d1be271a/AAIB_Special_Bulletin_S1-2021_G-ZBJB.pdf

In summary: Somehow the 787 has two places a gear lock pin can fit and only one of them locks the gear down. Also the mechanic responsible for putting in the pin was too short and had another guy do it after pointing at the (wrong) hole.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Zero One posted:

Also the mechanic ... was too short and had another guy do it after pointing at the (wrong) hole.

I mean threesomes can get confusing sometimes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Random Stranger posted:

That's if they're refining the ore. What the foundry I interned at did was get these large rods in, heat them up in an oven until they could be shoved through a mold, and then stretched them out. I'm sure the process varies with what you're making, but I'd expect it to be similar.

It does require plenty of power, I was doing safety calculations on all the electrical equipment, but in line with other manufacturing processes.

Tangentially related: My family has a cabin in south Norway. Right near it is Alcoa Norway, a fairly typical aluminium refinery. What is a bit less normal is that in 2009, they built a foundry next door, to cast automobile chassis parts and the like. "Next door" is almost under-selling how close they are: They pump the molten aluminium directly from the electrolysis cells over to the foundry. Besides saving power, they claim that it makes for exceptionally pure metal and strong castings. (Supposedly, you normally reheat it in steel crucibles, and that can lead to some iron impurities?)

Sadly, their homepage has no interesting information.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I mean threesomes can get confusing sometimes.

Is that why mom and dad fight a lot?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NLRB/status/1417913310918365186
:toot:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've read that several times and still don't know what it means

edit: oh wow they literally used inflatables rats. ok then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 21, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Inflatable rats?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
To some extend all rats are inflatable, aren't they?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Siri, show me "rat inflation"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nenonen posted:

To some extend all rats are inflatable, aren't they?

They make a real mess when they pop though

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Inflatable rats?

quote:

the National Labor Relations Board found that a union did not violate the National Labor Relations Act by displaying a 12-foot inflatable rat with red eyes, fangs, and claws (“Scabby the Rat”)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Flyinglemur posted:

Man I can't wait for the gender reveal where they burn down a city block.

I just had a scary thought.
Can you make Cherenkov radiation pink?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Arrhythmia posted:

Inflatable rats?

https://www.6sqft.com/scabby-the-rat-an-iconic-symbol-of-unionized-labor-in-nyc/

No scabs!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mycomancy posted:

I saw the aftermath of a marten chewing through an hydraulic line once. Yes, yes they do.

Or.

Pop! Goes the weasel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out here in California they tend to use a 12 ft grim reaper instead so I hope the precedent can be applied

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've read that several times and still don't know what it means

Rats: Inflatable rats are commonly used in the US by striking trade unions
Bannerings: A banner, though in this context also used by organized labour to protest outside construction projects

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: oh wow they literally used inflatables rats. ok then.
edit: don't feel dumb, I had to google that poo poo too

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Out here in California they tend to use a 12 ft grim reaper instead so I hope the precedent can be applied

I live in Florida. Any chance you could hook me up with the 12ft inflatable reaper (and bouncy castle) people?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mycomancy posted:

You need to install a relief valve in the rear end before inflation!

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
If you do this and over-pressurize them fast enough you end up with little rat rockets. When I was young, dumb, and working at Airgas me and my coworkers got to were we could snipe cans off poles with them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Natty Ninefingers posted:

If you do this and over-pressurize them fast enough you end up with little rat rockets. When I was young, dumb, and working at Airgas me and my coworkers got to were we could snipe cans off poles with them.

Wait, and gently caress does that sound bad already, what end does the hose go in?

To the rat, that is.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Computer viking posted:

Tangentially related: My family has a cabin in south Norway. Right near it is Alcoa Norway, a fairly typical aluminium refinery. What is a bit less normal is that in 2009, they built a foundry next door, to cast automobile chassis parts and the like. "Next door" is almost under-selling how close they are: They pump the molten aluminium directly from the electrolysis cells over to the foundry. Besides saving power, they claim that it makes for exceptionally pure metal and strong castings. (Supposedly, you normally reheat it in steel crucibles, and that can lead to some iron impurities?)

Sadly, their homepage has no interesting information.

When you mentioned "aluminum foundry" and "Norway" I thought this was going to end with your family using excess heat from the process to heat their sauna.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
scabby the rat owns and I hope this emboldens more unions to use inflatable based terrorism

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Floating 12ft tall inflatable rats into powerlines until a deal can be reached

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
for every day Frito Lays refuses to make a new contract we will release another bundle of mylar balloons

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Zero One posted:

Report on the British 787 that retracted it's nose gear on the ground: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/60ed9e3be90e0764d1be271a/AAIB_Special_Bulletin_S1-2021_G-ZBJB.pdf

In summary: Somehow the 787 has two places a gear lock pin can fit and only one of them locks the gear down. Also the mechanic responsible for putting in the pin was too short and had another guy do it after pointing at the (wrong) hole.

this is why girls don't want to date short guys

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/drscottphd/status/1417841564269916168?s=21

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

What’s worse than flying into Buffalo? Flying through a smoke plume into Buffalo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's even the process for smoke or fires in hour glide path? Just continue instrumental aaproach?

Here are also a few very OSHA aviation moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ3e03OGvRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

What's even the process for smoke or fires in hour glide path? Just continue instrumental aaproach?

Sleep walk by Santo and Johnny is my favorite.